Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/30/2010 5:58:05 PM EDT
What's the appeal? What's so good about them?
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 6:01:14 PM EDT
[#1]
tacti-cool
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 6:03:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one, they are nice, not worth the money though.  Owner is a douchebag that supports Greenpeace.  They got lots of people's credit card info stolen by lack of security after warnings from computer geeks that know that hacking stuff.  Spotty customer service, will not purchase from again.

If you want to read more about it go to Lightfighter and look at TAD Gear news in their Tactical Clothing forum, you will get a good idea about what type of person runs the company.
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 6:04:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
tacti-cool

This.

They make a good product but I cannot bring myself to pay that much for a jacket.
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 6:04:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I was moreso wondering about the product(s) than the people that run it.

What is it they accomplish that makes them such a hot item?
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 6:09:41 PM EDT
[#5]
There isn't much special about them other than they are made well, good stitching that doesn't come apart, attention to detail, good quality materials.  Still overpriced.  Not sure what exactly what kind of answer you are looking for though.
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 6:11:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There isn't much special about them other than they are made well, good stitching that doesn't come apart, attention to detail, good quality materials.  Still overpriced.  Not sure what exactly what kind of answer you are looking for though.

Plus 1.  And they won't even say they are sorry when they get your crdeit card info stolen from them and someone starts ordering itunes songs from your card.  I would never buy from them again, that's for sure.
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 6:14:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

tacti-cool

This. I want a chicom knockoff.

Link Posted: 4/30/2010 6:16:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
tacti-cool

Some of their stuff is now made in China if that helps
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 6:16:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
tacti-cool

They're out there. Quality is probably total crap, but they do exist. Check ebay, they go for like $50.
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 6:17:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Oh... and in before the TAD snobs...
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 6:17:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Boutique fashion is expensive.
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 6:28:16 PM EDT
[#12]
i used to go to their shop when they were still in Oaktown; can't knock the guy's knack for selling
what folks are buying. they're in deep with strider, (at least they used to- one of their x employees went
to work for Strider).

all in all, good gear, pricy yes, but definetly a niche market. I'm not a hater, I just can't afford most of their
stuff, and frankly you can get the same items for less on other forums.
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 6:42:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Compare them to other brands who make a similar product. Particularly their soft shells and hard shell jackets. The quality that you get for the price you pay isn't that bad considering what people pay for Arc'teryx or OTTE Gear.

Compare This to This
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 6:45:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Lets just say they are warm AND I hiked around in the rain for 8-ish hours and it didn't soak through .

You get what you pay for and it's VERY high quality made in custom small controlled batches(which is why it's expensive). Everything is limited run.

ETA

I was using the Stealth Hoodie Soft-shell (sharkskin).
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 6:49:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
tacti-cool

I'd rather buy from the PRC than support Greenpeace.
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 6:50:34 PM EDT
[#16]
I suppose what I'm wondering is, what is the purpose of the jacket?
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 6:53:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Lets just say they are warm AND I hiked around in the rain for 8-ish hours and it didn't soak through .

You get what you pay for and it's VERY high quality made in custom small controlled batches(which is why it's expensive). Everything is limited run.

ETA

I was using the Stealth Hoodie Soft-shell (sharkskin).

I don't find mine particularly warm, layering as they are intended they are decently warm, but a USGI ECWCS with the polar fleece liner actually seems to retain heat better with me. Granted the ECWCS isn't a softshell, but I find myself wearing that more often than not in cold wet weather.  I also have an OTTE Gear Alpine jacket that is super nice, but still doesn't seem as warm as the ECWCS.  I would recommend the OTTE Gear over TAD for high end softshells. YMMV
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 6:54:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

To be a warm, dry, well fitted jacket.

They also are cut in such a way that they fit under chest rigs while still giving access to storage/pockets.
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 6:54:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I imagine the purpose of it is being seen wearing a cool expensive jacket, for most people who buy them.  No different than women who carry a $700 purse.
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 6:59:27 PM EDT
[#20]
It's fanboy/Gucci gear for the HSLD civilian equivalent to Delta crowd.
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 7:10:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

How many ways can you ask the same question? They make expensive softshells and hoodies, they are designed to make the outdoors more comfortable.
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 7:12:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Kind of like Morale patches I suppose.
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 7:23:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They also are cut in such a way that they fit under chest rigs while still giving access to storage/pockets.

Well between that and the HLSD remark, I guess that settles it.

Rig pics..?
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 7:31:39 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Compare them to other brands who make a similar product. Particularly their soft shells and hard shell jackets. The quality that you get for the price you pay isn't that bad considering what people pay for Arc'teryx or OTTE Gear.

Compare This to
Interesting, For the money you would think they would have excellent customer service.

So if I was in the market for a soft shell jacket like the ones listed above but didnt want to spend that much $$$ where would I look?

Link Posted: 4/30/2010 7:32:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well between that and the HLSD remark, I guess that settles it.

Rig pics..?

From last winter. Eagle Industries universal rig, TADgear Spectre LRPv2 in grey.
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 7:33:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kind of like Morale patches I suppose.

If you're trying to make a jab at me for my avatar, nice try. I don't have "morale" patches.I thought that the patch in my avatar is funny so I used it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 7:35:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Compare This to
Interesting, For the money you would think they would have excellent customer service.

So if I was in the market for a soft shell jacket like the ones listed above but didnt want to spend that much $$$ where would I look?

I have heard Condor jackets are ok. They are lower quality but cost about 1/3 of the price so you can get another when the zippers break or seams rip.
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 7:38:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I was moreso wondering about the product(s) than the people that run it.

What is it they accomplish that makes them such a hot item?

Again, are we talking the gear or the owners/operators...
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 7:39:39 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Compare This to

I have heard Condor jackets are ok. They are lower quality but cost about 1/3 of the price so you can get another when the zippers break or seams rip.

They seem to go in the neighborhood of $80. Apparently they're popular in the airsoft crowd since they don't have the TAD price tag and the airsoft boys don't need TAD quality. I've seen several places that they are undersized.

Link Posted: 4/30/2010 7:42:25 PM EDT
[#30]
When you buy from them they let some fucker steal your credit card data and you end up spending the next couple of months filling out tons of afidavits and legal paperwork trying to get your bank stuff sorted out. Then TAD sends you out a lame form letter letting you know that they were to stupid to protect their customers credit card data and not just you but hundreds of others all got ripped off to.  So now you have to spend money to  monitor your personal information for identity theft. I contacted TAD and they wouldnt respond to this other than bullshit form letters.   Not even a lousy $10 "sorry for fuckin you over because we are stupid" gift certificate or anything.

Thanks TAD. You guys suck mongo chimp cock....
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 7:43:00 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Compare This to

They seem to go in the neighborhood of $80. Apparently they're popular in the airsoft crowd since they don't have the TAD price tag and the airsoft boys don't need TAD quality. I've seen several places that they are undersized.

So compare it to a north face summit series soft shell. I own one and its been a great jacket. Would the TAD jacket be comparable to that or would the condor be similar?

Link Posted: 4/30/2010 7:47:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Because:

A) They're amazing.  Very very warm, light weight, tough and damn near water proof.
B) They look good.
C) Wearing one (and buying one for your girl) brings you a higher level of pie unavailable from the north face twinkies.

Link Posted: 4/30/2010 7:48:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Compare This to

I can't really comment on their longevity, either TAD or Condor. I have only had my Spectre for about 6 months, and have only worn it for 2 of those. Though I reasonably expect to have it for a decade or more. For close to 300 bucks it better have some staying power.

I can say that it is of good quality so far, zippers and seams seem particularly strong and the material itself seems to be very resilient against long spans of time in pouring rain without soaking through.
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 7:51:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Because:

A) They're amazing.  Very very warm, light weight, tough and damn near water proof.
B) They look good.
C) Wearing one (and buying one for your girl) brings you a higher level of pie unavailable from the north face twinkies.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/allusakid/099-2.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/allusakid/Spring%20Break%20Florida%202010/105.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/allusakid/Spring%20Break%20Florida%202010/176.jpg

Plus when coupled with a 3-wolf-moon shirt they make you bulletproof.
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 8:03:13 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

What's the appeal? What's so good about them?

It's like Louis Vuitton for operators.

Link Posted: 4/30/2010 8:06:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
...Owner is a douchebag that supports Greenpeace...

Reference?
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 8:08:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reference?

Here
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 8:15:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reference?

Here

That's the strangest page I've ever seen...  It's kinda like with I found out my Grandmother, who suffers from dementia, was giving money to both the Obama campaign and the McCain campaign.
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 8:18:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Its because the jackets are made out of hand crafted Chinese Rain Forrest material, harvested with the help of specially trained Panda's.

(that's all I got..... think their gear look very cool)
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 8:18:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reference?

Here

That's the strangest page I've ever seen...  It's kinda like with I found out my Grandmother, who suffers from dementia, was giving money to both the Obama campaign and the McCain campaign.

And worse, they support Panerai.
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 8:23:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Great designs, great product, over-priced... When I bought mine I was supposed to get free shipping, I got charged, I complained and they were really rude, refused to refund my shipping even though it was listed as "free". Also took them 3wks to ship, even though it was supposed to be two day.

I like their stuff, but I won't order from them again.

Link Posted: 4/30/2010 8:24:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reference?

Here

And worse, they support Panerai.

I throw a fit... but I'm sitting here in a Patagonia R1 top.  In my defense, I'm on their Pro Deal.

Link Posted: 5/1/2010 3:47:42 AM EDT
[#43]
The jackets are well made. Their customer service is  some of the worst I've ever experienced from a company that sells premium niche gear - a market in which you damn well better take care of your customers.
Link Posted: 5/1/2010 4:57:12 AM EDT
[#44]
There is a thread I would recommend reading here

You will learn a lot more about TAD Gear and their product quality, customer service, and overall attitude toward the Military.  Good read, I highly recommend it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2010 5:02:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/1/2010 5:43:18 AM EDT
[#46]

That Mark IV is hot shit.
Link Posted: 5/1/2010 5:45:08 AM EDT
[#47]

Look nice but I dont like the buckles that are on the front...

Link Posted: 5/1/2010 5:47:40 AM EDT
[#48]

<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"></meta>".....supports Greenpeace."

That there says it all for me.  I'll never buy anything from them again.
Link Posted: 5/1/2010 6:01:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Very, very well made stuff that stands up to abuse in the field, and is it functional.

I imagine the price would be prohibitive to some people if the gear is not being issued to you. Arcteryx LEAF is not cheap either though.
Link Posted: 5/1/2010 6:03:06 AM EDT
[#50]
One of my best friends worked in the San Francisco office for about 2 years. He loved it there and then all of a sudden him and the owner had a falling out. He never told me what it was about but he said he would never deal with them again.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top