Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2010 6:52:26 PM EDT
So im thinking about starting up a seperate fund on my next deployment to buy a pinzgauer, a unimog, or a volvo C303....or comparable vehicle when I come home.

My goal at this time is a 710K radio truck with the hard top. Not really looking to keep it stock, I would like to add a stereo, power converter, maybe even A/C. I want one for a weekend mountain/beach/hill country roamer depending on where I end up getting stationed as my jeep is just too small for the family to come with me.

I have seen the volvo's and unimogs in similar configuration so I am trying to do some research to see what i should be leaning towards.
What does everyone have to say about these things, looking for input.
Link Posted: 6/22/2010 6:58:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I want a Unimog.

Link Posted: 6/22/2010 8:20:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I've played with this idea for over a decade.  I just can't manage to stay in the US for more than a couple of years at a time.

I've always leaned towards a Uni for parts availability.  And I'm also buying a diesel when I finally pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 6/22/2010 8:45:59 PM EDT
[#3]
No pics? How the hell can I know what you're talking about without doing a google? And I don't care enough to google.
Link Posted: 6/22/2010 8:59:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Something like this?

Link Posted: 6/22/2010 9:00:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Hell no. Get a Deuce man...

Link Posted: 6/22/2010 9:17:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I would do a Mog.  I will be looking for a mid 80's 1200 next year for my own mystery machine.

Unimog

Pinzgaur

Volvo Laplander

Man

Link Posted: 6/22/2010 9:19:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Unimog seems to be the way to go for civilians. Better support, road speed, utility.
Link Posted: 6/22/2010 9:23:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Have you seen this?

MAN 8x8 missile tractor converted to a "motor home"
Link Posted: 6/22/2010 9:28:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

So im thinking about starting up a seperate fund on my next deployment to buy a pinzgauer, a unimog, or a volvo C303....or comparable vehicle when I come home.

My goal at this time is a 710K radio truck with the hard top. Not really looking to keep it stock, I would like to add a stereo, power converter, maybe even A/C. I want one for a weekend mountain/beach/hill country roamer depending on where I end up getting stationed as my jeep is just too small for the family to come with me.

I have seen the volvo's and unimogs in similar configuration so I am trying to do some research to see what i should be leaning towards.
What does everyone have to say about these things, looking for input.

Saw a '69 Unimog Radio Truck on the local craigslist over the weekend.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/1799162454.html

Wish I had the cash.

Link Posted: 6/22/2010 9:41:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Have you seen this?
http://www.billcaid.com/2006/CalicoMogFest20061019/20061020/JPEG/XK9R5605.jpg
MAN 8x8 missile tractor converted to a "motor home"

Do want...... I will be in my bunk (now where did I put the lube and tissues)
Link Posted: 6/23/2010 3:46:27 AM EDT
[#11]
This is about what I was thinking of.

Link Posted: 6/23/2010 3:49:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/23/2010 3:51:01 AM EDT
[#13]
You could always just buy the axles and put them under a truck...
Link Posted: 6/23/2010 4:33:45 AM EDT
[#14]
This is a local guy's beach fishing vehicle.

Link Posted: 6/23/2010 4:37:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Unimog by a mile!
Link Posted: 6/23/2010 4:40:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This is a local guy's beach fishing vehicle.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v361/Extorris/aUnimog.jpg

That's the same model (year, body style) a good friend of mine has, used the back half for tool and compressor storage, and the half closest to the cab as a "camper" for his camping/hunting trips. That Mog was a beast and it went anywhere my FJ40 and CJ7 could go, and beyond.
Link Posted: 6/23/2010 4:40:56 AM EDT
[#17]
What does it take to get one of those serviced in the US? What about parts?
Link Posted: 6/23/2010 4:42:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What does it take to get one of those serviced in the US? What about parts?

Hah.

Most of those vehicles were built well before I was born.  The parts aren't easy to get.

The axles are the best part...  They are still the best portals on the market.
Link Posted: 6/23/2010 5:43:56 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Unimog by a mile!

unimogs are generally a lot more expensive, and they don't come stock in the configuration I want.  I dont want something like a duece and a half.
Link Posted: 6/23/2010 5:47:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Unimog by a mile!

unimogs are generally a lot more expensive, and they don't come stock in the configuration I want.  I dont want something like a duece and a half.

then buy a 2.5 ton!

As far as Unimogs price, the friend I referenced actually purchased his from the California Dept. of Forestry who had used it as a firefighting vehicle, and he got it pretty damn cheap, and parts weren't as hard to find as one might think, nor were they anymore expensive than "truck" parts.
Link Posted: 6/24/2010 8:06:52 PM EDT
[#21]
You might want to check out some of the Unimmogs and other vehicles here
Link Posted: 6/24/2010 8:42:40 PM EDT
[#22]
I had a 1974  710 Pinzy for about 8 years. That thing would go anywhere I pointed it. It is not cheap to get parts for and you need to make sure it has had all the axle/drive train upgrades before you get into one. I sold mine for what I paid for it and it is now somewhere near Buffalo Wyoming. My biggest complaint was the max speed flat out on a highway was about 55 mph. Put a hill in front of it and that drops down to about 45 mph max, foot to the floor. And since it has straight cut gears in the drive train and tranny, at top speed you need hearing protection from the noise. I even put sound deadener in mine but it was still very noisy. Remember that the Pinzguaer was designed to operate in the forests in Europe so it really is limited on US Highways, but in the off road arena, it shines. I know there are some diesels coming into the states but not sure how they are getting them past customs since they are not DOT/EPA legal. Most of the gas engined Pinzies are classified as "Novelty Vehicles" due primarily to their age.
 Make sure you go through a reputable dealer. Swiss Army Vehicles would fit that bill. There are plenty if you do a search, and have someone who knows those vehicles look it over for you. Due to their age and storage conditions, many are real rust buckets. Good luck. In their design realm, they are a hoot to operate.
Link Posted: 6/24/2010 8:46:55 PM EDT
[#23]
They all look top heavy to me.  But I suppose they're not rock crawlers as much as cargo haulers.
Link Posted: 6/24/2010 8:56:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
They all look top heavy to me.  But I suppose they're not rock crawlers as much as cargo haulers.

I seen Pinzies modified with a HonoDrive gear reduction system that turns them into supreme rock crawlers. Stock it has a dual range 5 speed tranny. If one is in low range and in first gear, you actually have to give it the gas to make it descend a 45 degree downgrade as the gearing is so low, it wants to practically stop the vehicle. One hardly ever has to use the brakes off road as the gearing is so efficient you can bring the rig to a complete stop just through the gearing. I used to just idle along some of the forest roads here in central Arizona while my Lab ran around in the forest getting her exercise. It was a fun rig.

You are right about the appearance of being top heavy, but I've had it leaned over pretty far and it stayed glued to the ground. I have seen many put on their sides however and had to be winched back up on all fours. One just has to know the angle limits which are clearly explained in the operators manual that comes with most Penzies.
Link Posted: 6/24/2010 9:08:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Unimog DoKa - doppel kabine (what we would call a crew cab).

Brian
Link Posted: 6/24/2010 9:20:08 PM EDT
[#26]
I would get a case unimog. Add what you was from there.
Link Posted: 6/24/2010 10:06:02 PM EDT
[#27]
I the the Piz... But, it's a tough call, the MOG is just bad ass looking.
Link Posted: 6/24/2010 10:23:57 PM EDT
[#28]

I live 3 miles from those guys (SAV).  I hate driving by it, my wallet starts leaping from my pants.
Link Posted: 6/24/2010 10:52:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Pinz, and if you're gonna be hauling family, look closer at the 712K 6x6 radio truck edit: or the ambulance, like this one that SAV is selling(Pinzgauers are actually on the small side).

I believe there are some out there that have had the Jetta/Audi TDI conversion done on them.

If I had the money and time...
Link Posted: 6/24/2010 11:01:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I want a Unimog.

This.  A friend of mine has had two Radiobox Unis, and loved them.  He bought them as toys, and when he got bored, sold them.  

I'd love to get my hands on one, as a BOV, and also a serious off-road camper.  

Full NATO camo job, and camo netting would be a bonus.  (Friend had full netting set.  Sweet.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top