Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/4/2010 1:49:34 AM EDT
I have seen these things for years, but never knew what they were.  It looks like it was designed to rotate (you can see a grease/Zerk fitting on the "axle" if you look close enough):

So what is it?  What is its function?  I ass-u-me it is designed to roll over things; but what?  Concrete walls?  Posts put along the Messican border?  What?

And here's a refresher for anyone who doesn't know what a halftrack is:

So whatizzit?
Link Posted: 7/4/2010 1:57:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Unditching Roller
Link Posted: 7/4/2010 2:00:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Unditching Roller

Details?  How does it work?
Link Posted: 7/4/2010 2:02:36 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I have seen these things for years, but never knew what they were.  It looks like it was designed to rotate (you can see a grease/Zerk fitting on the "axle" if you look close enough):

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-10/1222456/2010_0703DelMarFair20100123a.jpg

So what is it?  What is its function?  I ass-u-me it is designed to roll over things; but what?  Concrete walls?  Posts put along the Messican border?  What?

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-10/1222456/2010_0703DelMarFair20100125a.jpg

So whatizzit?

Don't know but I have always preferred the german halftrack over ours.

Link Posted: 7/4/2010 2:08:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unditching Roller

Details?  How does it work?

No fracking idea, I just googled "halftrack bumper roller", seems the M3 either came with the "unditching roller" or a 10k winch.

Link Posted: 7/4/2010 2:24:19 AM EDT
[#5]
And, just to muddy the waters even further, I gather the whole "halftrack" concept has been trashed?  You haven't seen any new ones being made in about the last 50 years or so.  The boy in green apparently sed "Either give us a tracked vehicle, or give us a wheeled vehicle, but this "neither here nor there" abortion doth maketh us to vomit."
Link Posted: 7/4/2010 2:25:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Most world militaries use ditches as obstacles.

That roller just makes sure that the font end of the truck doesn't dig in as a result of crossing a ditch.

It's kinda like a skidplate that rolls.  It hits the opposite bank of the ditch and the back end of the truck uses a lot of torque to push the front end back up.

Sometimes they worked, sometimes they didn't.
Link Posted: 7/4/2010 2:28:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
And, just to muddy the waters even further, I gather the whole "halftrack" concept has been trashed?  You haven't seen any new ones being made in about the last 50 years or so.  The boy in green apparently sed "Either give us a tracked vehicle, or give us a wheeled vehicle, but this "neither here nor there" abortion doth maketh us to vomit."

And yet the 1940's spec German halftracks had V-hulls to protect against mines...............

It seems we forget the obvious threats as soon as the shooting stops.
Link Posted: 7/4/2010 2:29:54 AM EDT
[#8]
LOL, I picked up a M715 for FREE about 25 years ago, from the local FD, just for the asking.
They had a bunch for conversion into brush trucks,etc, Also had some half tracks, but tore up the roads too bad!

Anyway, the M715s had something similiar, although homemade, and mounted much higher, and the full width of the truck.
Sort of a 6" pipe slipped over a 4" pipe, so it could roll freely, with VERY HD mounts.
They used them to ride up small trees, then ride them down and over!
Pure badass!
Link Posted: 7/4/2010 5:29:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Well okay then. That settles it. I want a half track.

Quad .50's in the back or some type of auto cannon would be nice.
Link Posted: 7/4/2010 5:44:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Well, I own 2 halftracks that I am making into one. You were told correctly that the roller is a un-dicthing roller. It hits the side of the ditch and allows the front of the halftrack to roll up rather than the bumper digging in. 1 out of ervry 16 had a winch rather than the roller, for recovery.

I have just been gathering parts on mine right now, but go to....

http://www.junk-halftracks.com

And check it out.

They came armed with everything from 3 30's, up to a 75mm cannon.
Link Posted: 7/4/2010 5:48:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/4/2010 5:54:03 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Ever consider that it was a viable solution to fill a specific roles given the manufacturing resources, available materials, and engineering know-how at that time?

Germany was especially screwed when it came to transport vehicles, they used horses when the propaganda film cameras weren't around.

Link Posted: 7/4/2010 5:58:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Bad design. They could have just built them with a better approach angle (like the German one in the pic). See how little sticks out in front of the wheels?

I'm pretty sure the US half tracks had powered front wheels, and the German halftracks had unpowered wheels.

That may be part of the reason the US halftracks had their front axle positioned where it was.

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

I also think that picture makes the "roller" look lower than it was, the bumper is at waist height

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––-

The Sdkfz 251 had a 4.2L I-6 making 100 hp, unk torque
The M3 had a 7.5L 450ci  I-6 making 147 hp and 325 ft ls torque

Link Posted: 7/4/2010 6:57:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bad design. They could have just built them with a better approach angle (like the German one in the pic). See how little sticks out in front of the wheels?

I'm pretty sure the US half tracks had powered front wheels, and the German halftracks had unpowered wheels.

That may be part of the reason the US halftracks had their front axle positioned where it was.

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

I also think that picture makes the "roller" look lower than it was, the bumper is at waist height

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––-

The Sdkfz 251 had a 4.2L I-6 making 100 hp, unk torque

The M3 had a 7.5L 450ci I-6 making 147 hp and 325 ft ls torque

You are correct. US powered front axle, German did not have powered front wheels.
Link Posted: 7/4/2010 8:55:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You are correct. US powered front axle, German did not have powered front wheels.

Keeeerrectomundo x2.  Was looking quite closely at the one in the photo last night, there is indeed a differential & axle up there.
Link Posted: 7/4/2010 8:58:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

So whatizzit?

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/German-Half-Track.jpg

There was some kook who used to drive one of those down and around the streets of Cincinnati,always made the news when he did so.

Link Posted: 7/4/2010 9:05:23 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So whatizzit?

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/German-Half-Track.jpg

There was some kook who used to drive one of those down and around the streets of Cincinnati,always made the news when he did so.

I live in northern Ky/Cincy area and have never heard of that.

How long ago was that? I bet it made quite a commotion to have that rolling down the streets of cincy, but I am starting to feel like I need an up armored hummvee or MRAP when I go over into cincy anymore.

Link Posted: 7/4/2010 9:13:49 AM EDT
[#18]
When I was a little kid I use to think that roller was for clearing mines...

Link Posted: 7/4/2010 11:36:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Did the halftrack have power to it's tracks, or was it a front wheel drive only.   I don't see a toothed drive sprocket for the tracks.
Link Posted: 7/4/2010 2:33:53 PM EDT
[#20]
The US used a Molded rubber-band track. In other words, it is not made up of plates joinrd together, but a one piece molded track.

Here is a copy of an WW2 Autocar book I show on my webpage that shows the chain molded into the center of the rubber-band molded track.

Here is a White WW2 photo off my webpage showing a bunch of guys installing a tread on a new Halftrack. Note the front roller has teeth on it to match to the chain in the rubber-band molded track.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top