Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2010 2:36:03 PM EDT
I was in the local Sprint store today, Looking at the new phones as my upgrade is due. I really don't plan to upgrade as I really love the Sprint cell service and the Nextel Direct Connect.

I have what is called a "hybrid" phone and it utilizes those two networks. Sprint does not offer this anymore as the sales associate said. With the 3G network already out and the 4G coming soon, Sprint will be phasing out the direct connect service by 2012.

I was shocked that they would dump that feature as it is very handy.

http://forums.mobiledia.com/topic65173.html

I asked the sales guy, "Why in the hell would the Feds want to buy Nextel?" He said, "It works, When the 35W bridge went down, The only phones that had service were Direct Connect phones, ALl other phones did not work due to the lines being jammed".

Some of you might know of this feature with DC phones is, That you can switch off the network, And make the phone a 2way radio device.
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 2:45:35 PM EDT
[#1]
direct connect sucks. I had it for a few years. Its very unprofessional to be in the middle of a meeting and some dickhead friend decides to start talking to you without being able to stop it.
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 2:52:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
direct connect sucks. I had it for a few years. Its very unprofessional to be in the middle of a meeting and some dickhead friend decides to start talking to you without being able to stop it.

It's happened to me numerous times, Thankfully at home and not out in public.
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 2:55:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I was in the local Sprint store today, Looking at the new phones as my upgrade is due. I really don't plan to upgrade as I really love the Sprint cell service and the Nextel Direct Connect.

I have what is called a "hybrid" phone and it utilizes those two networks. Sprint does not offer this anymore as the sales associate said. With the 3G network already out and the 4G coming soon, Sprint will be phasing out the direct connect service by 2012.

I asked the sales guy, "Why in the hell would the Feds want to buy Nextel?" He said, "It works, When the 35W bridge went down, The only phones that had service were Direct Connect phones, ALl other phones did not work due to the lines being jammed".

Some of you might know of this feature with DC phones is, That you can switch off the network, And make the phone a 2way radio device.

The so-called '2-way-radio' is STILL using the IDEN cell network. It is NOT actually a '2-way radio'.

The 'difference' is that IDEN is *only* used by Nextel, so it gets 'jammed' less quickly than GSM (ATT/TMO) or CDMA (Sprint/VZW)

Link Posted: 7/11/2010 2:59:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Umm... no.
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 2:59:59 PM EDT
[#5]
So basically .gov just wants that system for .gov use... I don't have a problem with that... I think...
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 3:00:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm too lazy to read threads...   Will I be needing more tinfoil.
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 3:05:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I used DC when I worked construction, now I only have 1 person that bumps me instead of just calling.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 3:06:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Wireless Priority Service, run by NCS, ensures that the right people in the local/state/national government have priority cellular service, and it is available from multiple carriers.

Even when the federal government wanted and needed Iridium sat phones to stay available (which they needed much more than the IDEN network), they didn't just go out and "purchase" Motorola Iridium.  They did, however, ensure that it would be profitable for another company (Iridium, LLC)  to buy the Iridium constellation and infrastructure at a fraction of what it cost Motorola to build it, and make good money off of DoD Iridium contracts.

Link Posted: 7/11/2010 3:07:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Turn the speaker off if you're in a meeting....
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 3:09:20 PM EDT
[#10]
This makes me want to put on tinfoil, funny theyd stop carrying it for us, but allow the government to buy it...heres my theory

Government says its great for SHTF, we want it, but you cant let anyone else have it if we do

Link Posted: 7/11/2010 3:10:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I've heard this for the past five years that the DC was going away....government was buying it all up...

If this is correct or not... I do not know... I don't take a whole lot of stock in what 99.9% of people have to say these days anyway... when I wake up one morning and my DC won't work... then i'll believe it then.
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 3:13:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This makes me want to put on tinfoil, funny theyd stop carrying it for us, but allow the government to buy it...heres my theory

Government says its great for SHTF, we want it, but you cant let anyone else have it if we do

During the firestorm in florida in 2007... FEMA was using a different system through the nextel phones... it was push to talk..... but it was not the direct connect freq..... not sure what it was...I'll ask the local emergency manager what it was.
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 3:13:48 PM EDT
[#13]
So what? It's not like the government doesn't own the system GPS' use, why can't they have a communication network?
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 3:14:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've heard this for the past five years that the DC was going away....government was buying it all up...

If this is correct or not... I do not know... I don't take a whole lot of stock in what 99.9% of people have to say these days anyway... when I wake up one morning and my DC won't work... then i'll believe it then.

It sounds like people like Police, Firemen, FBI Agents, And so forth will be able to use it. Just not the normal folk like you and me.

Link Posted: 7/11/2010 3:16:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I could have sworn the .gov bought Iridium when it went bankrupt, but all I can find is mention of 'private investors'

Kharn
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 3:20:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A co-worker of mine learned that the hard way when his wife chirped him during one of our meetings and loudly reminded him (and all of us) to pick up tampons on the way home.
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 3:32:42 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't care if my direct connect goes away.

Av.
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 3:41:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A co-worker of mine learned that the hard way when his wife chirped him during one of our meetings and loudly reminded him (and all of us) to pick up tampons on the way home.

When I worked for a contractor we bought nextel phones, but they initiated a company wide policy on their use, specifically:

- If you need to contact someone, press the DC button -once-.  Push and release, do NOT talk.  The receiver will DC back if they can.
- If there's no response, wait a couple of minutes, and press the DC button -once-, again.  If the receiver does not reply, they are occupied, so wait until much later or try something else.
- DO NOT just start talking
- Unless it's a dire emergency, DO NOT use the "urgent" feature.  And "dire emergency" meant life or job threatening, because if the "alert" was for something stupid it would definitely threaten your job.
- Unless it's a dire emergency, DO NOT use DC to contact someone more than 1 management level above you.  Same consequences as above.  This wasn't as draconian as it sounds - the entire company had only 5 levels of management, so it wasn't like going past the assistant manager to the manager - more like to the VP of "this had better be good."
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 3:43:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

my phone worked fine and I called to the general area to someone on a cell phone to make sure they were ok
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 3:44:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It sounds like people like Police, Firemen, FBI Agents, And so forth will be able to use it. Just not the normal folk like you and me.

Ummmmmm... I'm not normal folk!  

and you will be able to use it... well into the future... Don't sweat it!
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 3:46:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL..........

I know common scene is a rarity these days... But even a normal cell phone one should turn down so not to interrupt.
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 3:51:51 PM EDT
[#22]
I LIVE IN THE STICKS OF PA. THE DC WORKS WHEN THE PHONE HAS LITTLE SERVICE OR SOMETIMES NO SERVICE.  I LOVE MINE.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 8:26:14 PM EDT
[#23]
bump for midnight crew.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 8:41:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Bullshit.

The National Guard has a system that can bridge the radio systems of the local yocals in all 50 states.
They can drop the damned thing in by a helicopter and have it humming in a few hours.
I know...I actually help set the thing up...it actually worked...really well.

Link Posted: 7/12/2010 8:44:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Does this mean .gov is taking on Boost Mobile and other Nextel users, or will all civilians be "upgraded" to Sprint's CDMA service?
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 8:51:57 PM EDT
[#26]
I had a .gov issued Nextel w/ DC; it was like having a leash.

Link Posted: 7/12/2010 11:04:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

During the firestorm in florida in 2007... FEMA was using a different system through the nextel phones... it was push to talk..... but it was not the direct connect freq..... not sure what it was...I'll ask the local emergency manager what it was.

I had a Nextel phone a few years back that had an honest-to-goodness FRS radio built in, like a Motorola Talkabout uses. You had to switch between IDEN and FRS, it couldn't run both systems at the same time.

ETA: The service was called Direct Talk, I did some googling but I can't remember what model the phone was- it was a blue candy bar-type phone with an extendable antenna.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top