Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2010 3:39:20 PM EDT
This type of building I've seen many times over the years...there's one down a long lane near me, and I saw them out west too. Is it a weather station of some type? The one near me has ancillary equipment on poles that look like weather-related stuff. Microwave? Radio?

It's bugging the piss out of me, and I saw this on motorcycle site so it piqued my curiosity...figured someone here will know.

Link Posted: 10/13/2010 3:52:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Isn't that an airplane navigational beacon?

PS:

I thought you were dead or banned or something......!
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 3:54:32 PM EDT
[#2]
VORTAC - VHF Omnidirectional Range/Tactical Aircraft Control
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 3:54:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

QFT.
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 3:56:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Cool, good to know. See, I thought the symbolism of the big butt-plug thingie would come into play. But, it turns out to be much less sexy.

Link Posted: 10/13/2010 3:56:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

QFT.

Yup.
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 3:56:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

This
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 4:00:25 PM EDT
[#7]
So, the mechanics of this are that a pilot can be lost and look on his instruments and see these things right?

"Delta Six Nine Alpha, I've got the big butt-plug thingie on my six, copy that".

Roger.
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 4:00:59 PM EDT
[#8]
One of these.....

Link Posted: 10/13/2010 4:03:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

So, the mechanics of this are that a pilot can be lost and look on his instruments and see these things right?

"Delta Six Nine Alpha, I've got the big butt-plug thingie on my six, copy that".

Roger.

They're used to navigate.

You set your VOR radio to the frequency of the VOR station and your VOR instrument shows its heading from you (and some show distance).

You can hop from one to another across the country.

Link Posted: 10/13/2010 4:08:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Roger.

You set your VOR radio to the frequency of the VOR station and your VOR instrument shows its heading from you (and some show distance).

You're making my head hurt. Where's the butt-plug come in? Don't tell me that's a naturally occurring design feature. It has to mean something.

Link Posted: 10/13/2010 4:19:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Omnidirectional antennas, how do they work?

Link Posted: 10/13/2010 4:22:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Apparently, not like a butt-plug.

Link Posted: 10/13/2010 4:22:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Magnets or Magic?

Link Posted: 10/13/2010 4:32:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Magnets or Magic?

Well, I'm not into aviation, but I know a thing or two about what two adults do in the privacy of their own homes. So, ya know, I can connect the dots.

Link Posted: 10/13/2010 4:46:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Magnets or Magic?

Well, I'm not into aviation, but I know a thing or two about what two adults do in the privacy of their own homes. So, ya know, I can connect the dots.

Sig line material right there.
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 4:51:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd suspect that butt-plugs have a definite direction....

The deal with the huge phallic device is that it sends radio signals that are different depending on what direction ('radial') you are located at relative to the sex toy.  So, the hum sounds different if you are east vs. northeast of the device.  Since the toy is fixed in place, knowing what direction leads to it (plus knowing what direction leads to other toys at nearby locations) gives you a 'fix' aka a known position.  What you do when you reach that location is really up to you...typically a course change to find the next VOR (toy) is called for.

Link Posted: 10/13/2010 4:54:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd suspect that butt-plugs have a definite direction....

The deal with the huge phallic device is that it sends radio signals that are different depending on what direction ('radial') you are located at relative to the sex toy.  So, the hum sounds different if you are east vs. northeast of the device.  Since the toy is fixed in place, knowing what direction leads to it (plus knowing what direction leads to other toys at nearby locations) gives you a 'fix' aka a known position.  What you do when you reach that location is really up to you...typically a course change to find the next VOR (toy) is called for.

Right on, understand it completely now....I just had to wrap my ass around the concept.

Link Posted: 10/13/2010 4:56:13 PM EDT
[#18]
You dont just hop from one to another, that limits you to going where the beacons are.

You use two to triangulate to your position to get an exact reading on where you are, and can make course corrections with your compass based on the map, your plotter, and your knowledge of where you are.

Helpful if you have two VOR receivers in the plane....also helpful if the VOR head in the plane is accurate and not routinely 40 degrees off.

(GPS is way more better though)
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 4:59:25 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I turn my GPS off every once in awhile at night just to stay in practice with the VOR and DME equipment.  But I've got to admit, I've gotten spoiled with a GPS.  

Link Posted: 10/13/2010 5:01:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Digital mosque.
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 5:03:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Magnets or Magic?

Fuckin miracles.
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 5:08:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Magnets or Magic?

Fuckin miracles.

Ha... isn't that what those clown guys sing about... I forget what song it was but the whole premise was crazy.

Link Posted: 10/13/2010 5:08:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Roger.

You're making my head hurt. Where's the butt-plug come in? Don't tell me that's a naturally occurring design feature. It has to mean something.

You're alive?  I thought they had a eulogy for you already
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 5:53:40 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Roger.

You're alive?  I thought they had a eulogy for you already

How do you know you're not dead and remembering this? Or, is this a dream? If you wake up and your butt feels like a big white plug rammed it, you'll know.

May I rest in peace.

Link Posted: 10/13/2010 5:55:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 5:56:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 5:57:16 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I hate to tell you this, but you should have read the signbefore entering the road to the building

saw this on motorcycle site

Link Posted: 10/13/2010 5:58:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

OPSEC man,  you need to be carefull what you post.
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 6:00:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 6:02:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 6:02:34 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OPSEC man,  you need to be carefull what you post.

Is it a secret? If so Wikipedia done spoiled it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VHF_omnidirectional_range

Link Posted: 10/13/2010 6:12:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Is this the same as TACAN?
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 6:25:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Tacan is the mil-spec version.  Higher operating frequency and more accurate.  Often collocated in the same butt plug.
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 6:32:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Roger.

Hell, I thought all pilots just use GPS now.  They don't need no stinking vacuum instruments.
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 6:38:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Guys, it's just a BBQ shack.
Link Posted: 10/14/2010 5:57:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tacan is the mil-spec version.  Higher operating frequency and more accurate.  Often collocated in the same butt plug.

Thanks, that clears up a question that I've had since my Fly Navy days.

Link Posted: 10/14/2010 6:00:35 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Roger.

Imagine a compass, it works similar to that.  Except the needled doesn't point to north, it points to the station whose frequency you selected

Link Posted: 10/14/2010 6:41:53 AM EDT
[#38]
UFO inflator, watch out the next few days.
Link Posted: 10/14/2010 8:08:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/14/2010 8:42:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

VORTAC is a VOR (VHF Omnidirectional Range) beacon and TACAN (Tactical Air Navigation) beacon located together at one site.

VOR is actually a misnomer as it provides bearing rather than range information.  TACAN provides bearing and range info, the latter through the DME (Distance Measuring Equipment) portion.  A beacon that uses VOR for bearing and DME for range is called VOR-DME.  The bearing info provided by TACAN is more accurate than VOR info.

I don't know that the situation is now, but twenty or so years ago most General Aviation aircraft used VOR for bearing and had DME only  equipment for range (if that).  Military aircraft used both "sides" of the TACAN system and also carried VOR equipment for backup.  I'd guess everyone uses inertial or GPS now.  That's purely a guess as I gave up dating pilots a long time ago.

Jane

Link Posted: 10/14/2010 8:54:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/14/2010 9:06:33 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Are you the woman that ran the personals ad in the "New Yorker" that said, "No attorneys or airline pilots need apply."?

Nah, I don't have anything against pilots.  I just can't keep up with them anymore, got old.  I'm certain attorneys are perfectly fine also, though I've never dated one.

Jane

Link Posted: 10/14/2010 9:14:01 AM EDT
[#43]
I first laid hands upon one of those antennas back in 1968 while working for Butler-National, prototyping and testing DME transponders.

Link Posted: 10/14/2010 9:16:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Its part of the Bush Chaney Haliburton Earthquake Hurricane Vote Republican Zombie machine.   Stay away from it, othewise you will shake, fart a whirlwind, and turn into a republican voting zombie.
Link Posted: 10/14/2010 1:39:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/14/2010 1:43:40 PM EDT
[#46]
That is an emergency enema tube for Obama in case he can't make a speech in that area.
Link Posted: 10/14/2010 1:59:08 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Quoted:

VORTAC is a VOR (VHF Omnidirectional Range) beacon and TACAN (Tactical Air Navigation) beacon located together at one site.
VOR is actually a misnomer as it provides bearing rather than range information.  TACAN provides bearing and range info, the latter through the DME (Distance Measuring Equipment) portion.  A beacon that uses VOR for bearing and DME for range is called VOR-DME.  The bearing info provided by TACAN is more accurate than VOR info.
I don't know that the situation is now, but twenty or so years ago most General Aviation aircraft used VOR for bearing and had DME only  equipment for range (if that).  Military aircraft used both "sides" of the TACAN system and also carried VOR equipment for backup.  I'd guess everyone uses inertial or GPS now.  That's purely a guess as I gave up dating pilots a long time ago.
Jane

The device in the OP's photo is a VOR-DME. The center cone houses the DME.
There is also the Doppler VOR (DVOR) A DVOR is usually much larger in diameter, and has different looking antennas, and more of them. The antennas for a DVOR look sort of like umbrellas - a half-sphere on top of a post. They're not mounted on the circumference, either. They're mounted on about a 30' diameter, with the entire counterpoise (the flat disc that everything is mounted on) being at least 60' diameter. DVOR systems can be provided with or without DME.
I have designed counterpoise structures for 30' VOR and VOR/DME, and 60', 90' and 120' DVOR systems.
ETA: Found a photo on the Googles of a VOR-DME on a counterpoise that's my design:

Link Posted: 10/14/2010 2:39:04 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jane

The device in the OP's photo is a VOR-DME. The center cone houses the DME.

There is also the Doppler VOR (DVOR) A DVOR is usually much larger in diameter, and has different looking antennas, and more of them. The antennas for a DVOR look sort of like umbrellas - a half-sphere on top of a post. They're not mounted on the circumference, either. They're mounted on about a 30' diameter, with the entire counterpoise (the flat disc that everything is mounted on) being at least 60' diameter. DVOR systems can be provided with or without DME.

I have designed counterpoise structures for 30' VOR and VOR/DME, and 60', 90' and 120' DVOR systems.

ETA: Found a photo on the Googles of a VOR-DME on a counterpoise that's my design:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/DzlBenz/image015.jpg

Nice work, great design. The "butt-plugginess" of yours is less obvious, and for that I give you 3 internets.

Link Posted: 10/14/2010 2:44:13 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Nice work, great design. The "butt-plugginess" of yours is less obvious, and for that I give you 3 internets.

I only designed the structure - the galvanized steel parts. Also, I've seen very wide, blunt buttplugs. Um, I mean, I know a guy who has seen them. In movies. Yeah.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top