Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 5:37:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Old school....

And when I was in grammer school I had to walk a mile in the snow....

Seriously kind of inbetween here. Graduated MCRD San Diego in 2/1990.

Not old enough to be old school (they could not directly bend and thrust us but could Push up/run in place us...Think about it), but not new enough to be new school....

After boot did MCT (Marine Combat Training ) 4 weeks at Camp Pendelton of good times...

ETA- guess its old school, when I did MOS school at Ft Bliss,TX we could go to Juarez every weekend and drunk it up...Now youd be dead...
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 5:37:48 PM EDT
[#2]
HHC 2BDE 82nd ABN DIV 1983-86
The M-16 A1 is a light weight air cooled gas operated shoulder fired magazine fed weapon designed for semi-automatic or automatic fire using a 20 or 30 round magazine SERGEANT!
Trained with steel pots and  eventually got the kevlar.
Had the first issue BDU's with the "Elvis collar".
Issued OG-107's (slant pocket OD green jungles) for Operation Ocean Venture in '84.
We ate C-rats for awhile until the 1st gen MRE with the dehydrated pork or beef patties.
Still had the old school combat boots with regular eyelets and the plastic inserts. Thought we were high speed if we had the Dr. Schols inserts.
Jumped both the T-10 and the ultra high speed MC1-1B steerable parachute in jump school.
Good times...good times...
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 5:38:45 PM EDT
[#3]
My barracks in Korea had a Budweiser vending machine .
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 5:41:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I was in B-5-1. Wherever that was. Remember that nasty 3.2 draft beer and Sister Golden Hair was the only song on the jukebox. Damn, where did my life go. 5 months later in the Junkie barracks, Pond Barracks, Amberg, FRG
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 5:42:20 PM EDT
[#5]
US Army 1985-1993.
Never saw a kevlar helmet when I was in, nor an M16A2, and OD Jungle Fatigues were still available in clothing sales.
Heck, my reserve unit still had jeeps when I first got there.  

ETA:  Basic Training photo, rocking the BCGs and making my "war face"".  Ft. Knox, KY.  July 1985.

Link Posted: 11/9/2010 5:42:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My barracks in Korea had a Budweiser vending machine .

OMG!!!

Beer vending machines! How could I forget!? The dayroom in Panama had one. Bud, Schlitz , and a Panamanian beer or two.
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 5:43:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I was in B-5-1. Wherever that was. Remember that nasty 3.2 draft beer and Sister Golden Hair was the only song on the jukebox. Damn, where did my life go. 5 months later in the Junkie barracks, Pond Barracks, Amberg, FRGhttp://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd44/ncmike57/2Cav75/scan0013.jpg?t=1289356727

Those are some old school cold weather field pants and the wool shirt aren't they?
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 5:44:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I went in in March '85 at FT Sill, OK.
I ran the bayonet course with a cigarette in my mouth, and the DSs didn't bat an eye. When we shifted over into AIT, we fired live HE in the 155mm and 8-inch howitzers. I've never seen one of the blue-painted "training" projectiles.
My first unit was equipped with the M110A2 - you haven't fired a CANNON until you've pulled the tail on an 8-inch howitzer with a charge-8 behind the 'Jo. I wore a steel pot until late summer of '87, when we turned them in for the original K-pot, which was much better for driving in net stakes. Never seen a FAASV, an M249, or even an M16A2 up close; we had the '548, the "pig", and the 'A1 (Mine was made by Singer btw, and ran like it, too).
When I was in, howitzers didn't even have radios...now, the freakin things practically crew themselves.
We had the first edition MRE.

Old Army.

edit: "Gamma Goat"
DAMN, what a POS that thing was! The best place for them was out on the direct-fire range...as a target.
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 5:44:39 PM EDT
[#9]
old army 72-80.
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 5:44:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Yup.

USMC

0351 first then 0341 (cause as they took away my gun and gave me a tube on phasing it out, before tows and dragons)

Primary 106 recoiless fifle, LAAWS, Demolitions.

Drove the 106 around on a jeep or mule. Both were a blast to zip around on.

Cross trained on 60 mike mikes and the M-60. Stuck with the tubes. Left as a section leader in a weapons platoon.

Ya, steel pot, flak jacket, 45s, m-79s, M16-A1s later with 203s (the 79 was better for range) and C-rats. Forgot to mention, pickel suits still issued.
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 5:48:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
At least compared to these "kids" nowadays. Let's say 1975 to maybe pre-Panama invasion (late 80's). The late Post-Vietnam era, with equipment and uniforms to match.

(see sigline for dates)

19 of my 20 jumps were in a steel pot, the final in a Kevlar. There were units that had Kevlars earlier, but mainly RDF types (remember that term?).

As a grunt I carried an M16A1 my whole 4 years; mine was a Hydromatic. As a mortar maggot we also had 1911A1 .45's for gunners and AG's, no Beretta M9's. Those old .45's would rattle if you shook them! Prior to my 81mm days I was Four-Deuce (4.2" mortars, or 107mm). Our dataplates were dated 1954. M60 was the GPMG; 240's were co-ax guns on tanks only. We had old rattley Ithaca 12 gauges for guard duty.

I was stationed for 3 of my 4 years in Panama. We were issued the old OD green slant pocket jungle fatigues and OD jungle boots. You could wear BDU's in garrison but in the field jungles only. Rarely did you wear BDU's in garrison either 'cause they were so damn hot in the tropics. Lightweight BDU's didn't come out until the last few months before I PCS'd at the end of '86. We wore BDU soft caps (when not wearing maroon berets) which looked kinda weird with OD jungle fatigues. Only Rangers wore the OD patrol caps, which actually would have matched better.

Hummers hadn't hit the scene yet. It was "quarter tons" (jeeps) and Gamma-Goats, deuce-and-a-halfs and 5-tons.

The "Vincent" was some new-fangled commo scrambling thingy we had on our vehicle mounted radios.

PRC-77's. 'Nuff said there....

You could actually see a Huey flying every now and then, but Blackhawks were indeed the mainstay. Did fly in a Huey once though. It's a blast sitting looking right out the door!

How about you Jarheads (hey, at least I capitalized it!)? Any of you wear the "Jungle Cammies" (ERDL's?). Preceded the BDU's when the Army and USMC adopted them. Only ones in the Army I ever saw wear them were the cadre at the Jungle Operations Training Center (JOTC).  

My Hydromatic was great.  They should have stuck to that instead of transmissions, they might not have needed  a bailout.    (Seriously, it was accurate and reliable)  We had the  pig and M240s on the Brads and M1's.  (no A1's there)
We had Humvee's, hummers were something else entirely, what Clinton got from Monica to be exact.  My Guard unit had M151A2's but also some M998's so they were in transition.  The M35A2's were still on active duty, but the 900 series 5 tons were much better trucks.

'87-89 active,
89-92 No Go
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 5:49:16 PM EDT
[#12]
The wool shirts I believe were Korean War Issue. The field pants had the old school liners instead of the nylon ones. Mike

Camp Rotz(later Camp Reed) Reaction Force. Tracks were combat loaded at all times. Mike
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 5:55:41 PM EDT
[#13]
USMC '79 to '95 (medically retired)

Started with jungle cammies w/sateen cover, H-harness, steel helmet, C-rats, M16A1 by GM, spit shining, breaking starch, 1911 .45acp, M40A1 106mm recoilless rifles, flamethrowers (mostly at Gitmo), M1D Garands (also at Gitmo), M60's, 4-cylinder mules, M151's, wall to wall counseling and NCO justice.

Ended with woodlands, ALICE, hummers, M16A2, M-9's, still spit shining and starching, and too much PC bullshit.
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 6:01:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Very Old School.  Army Basic in 1966.  Drills were mostly Korean War veterans.  The First Sergeant was a WWII vet.  Trained with the M-14.  Issued M-14 in Vietnam in 1967.  Issued the new M-16A-1 later.

A few of my buddies sitting around the Hootch in RVN one night in civvies and M-60.

1967 near Nha Trang when we still had the M-14

Link Posted: 11/9/2010 6:01:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Me in Korea, 1979
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 6:05:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Old Army "Be All You Can Be"  none of this Army of one crap!

Had smoke breaks in basic, had the old BDU's with the Elvis collar; ugly as crap, used the old steel pot, drove the old 5ton trucks that rattle like a mother f@#$%r.
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 6:07:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
USMC '79 to '95 (medically retired)

Started with jungle cammies w/sateen cover, H-harness, steel helmet, C-rats, M16A1 by GM, spit shining, breaking starch, 1911 .45acp, M40A1 106mm recoilless rifles, flamethrowers (mostly at Gitmo), M1D Garands (also at Gitmo), M60's, 4-cylinder mules, M151's, wall to wall counseling and NCO justice.

Ended with woodlands, ALICE, hummers, M16A2, M-9's, still spit shining and starching, and too much PC bullshit.

These little "unexpected" weapon appearances in *relatively* recent years, like the M2 carbine one earlier, are surprising.  

Link Posted: 11/9/2010 6:11:39 PM EDT
[#18]
I was neither. But cool stories.
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 6:13:38 PM EDT
[#19]
USMC(R)1985-1991

Prc-77

292 antennae

m16a1, although RIGHT before rifle qual. we got the A2s.

Link Posted: 11/9/2010 6:19:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
At least compared to these "kids" nowadays. Let's say 1975 to maybe pre-Panama invasion (late 80's). The late Post-Vietnam era, with equipment and uniforms to match.

(see sigline for dates)

19 of my 20 jumps were in a steel pot, the final in a Kevlar. There were units that had Kevlars earlier, but mainly RDF types (remember that term?).

As a grunt I carried an M16A1 my whole 4 years; mine was a Hydromatic. As a mortar maggot we also had 1911A1 .45's for gunners and AG's, no Beretta M9's. Those old .45's would rattle if you shook them! Prior to my 81mm days I was Four-Deuce (4.2" mortars, or 107mm). Our dataplates were dated 1954. M60 was the GPMG; 240's were co-ax guns on tanks only. We had old rattley Ithaca 12 gauges for guard duty.

I was stationed for 3 of my 4 years in Panama. We were issued the old OD green slant pocket jungle fatigues and OD jungle boots. You could wear BDU's in garrison but in the field jungles only. Rarely did you wear BDU's in garrison either 'cause they were so damn hot in the tropics. Lightweight BDU's didn't come out until the last few months before I PCS'd at the end of '86. We wore BDU soft caps (when not wearing maroon berets) which looked kinda weird with OD jungle fatigues. Only Rangers wore the OD patrol caps, which actually would have matched better.

Hummers hadn't hit the scene yet. It was "quarter tons" (jeeps) and Gamma-Goats, deuce-and-a-halfs and 5-tons.

The "Vincent" was some new-fangled commo scrambling thingy we had on our vehicle mounted radios.

PRC-77's. 'Nuff said there....

You could actually see a Huey flying every now and then, but Blackhawks were indeed the mainstay. Did fly in a Huey once though. It's a blast sitting looking right out the door!

How about you Jarheads (hey, at least I capitalized it!)? Any of you wear the "Jungle Cammies" (ERDL's?). Preceded the BDU's when the Army and USMC adopted them. Only ones in the Army I ever saw wear them were the cadre at the Jungle Operations Training Center (JOTC).  

USMC 1979 trough 1980, BDU's and M16A1 (Colt). East Coast Marine and we were hated by all.  In retrospect, I should have stayed in and waited out the bad "military sentemant",  and done a career.  Not that I'm sad the way things turned out in my life, it's just it was bad back then, we were literally hated and made no money. I probably could have still done what I did in civilian life and had a career in the USMC....blah blah blah....50 year old guy talking....

Link Posted: 11/9/2010 6:28:42 PM EDT
[#21]

11B `76 - `80.

Gamma Goats hauling our CSC platoon's four-deuce mortars.

Being utterly astounded at the burst of a four-deuce WP round.

Jeeps with TOW launchers and (only) a two spare round rack. (in practice though we strapped TOW tubes all over the vehicle practicing for the great running tank battle with Ivan Pooshkie in the Fulda Gap).

Canteen cups.

C-rat Pound Cake......and Peaches. Nom nom nom!

C-rat Ham and Lima Beans.

M1950 gas stoves in their little 2-piece aluminum pot / carry containers......
......and the sometime 2 foot yellow and orange fireball it produced when lit off.

Thinking you were cool if you had a bipod for your M16.

Thinking you were invulnerable if you had 30 round magazines and were not a squad's designated "Automatic Rifleman".

Camo poncho liners (we never called anything "cammie" –––– that was a Marine Corps jargon (that word still grates on me today)

Feeling fortunate for getting a ride in a M113 APC –––– but hating it for the brutal, bounced around ride you got and fearful the entire time you were in it knowing what a larger target you were.......and knowing full well what a HEP, HEAT, or SABOT round does to armored vehicle occupants.

The sound of a deuce-and-a-half shifting gears.

The tremendous moral boost of seeing mermite cans unloaded out the back of a `deuce and of eating a hot (well, semi hot at least) served meal.

Paydays. The Paymaster gave you the option of taking a check......or receiving cash.

Having to learn the 'WORM' formula to be able to call in arty if you didn't have a FO with you. I never could understand that fucker. (God bless the Field Artillery)

"Cat Eyes"

REMFs

The camaraderie between brothers in arms.  I'll miss that until the day I die.

Good memories.

Link Posted: 11/9/2010 6:30:28 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a Cold War Recognition Certificate.  
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 6:34:37 PM EDT
[#23]
New army graduated basic/AIT  21JAN2010
Ft Leonard Wood, Missouri
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 6:38:21 PM EDT
[#24]
USMC 72 to 76.  Back in the day, when you could beat your Privates.
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 6:41:33 PM EDT
[#25]
What about Old Navy?
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 6:44:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
USMC - '78-'88

Steel pot, not kevlar
.45 1911, not M9
M16A1, not A2, A3, M4
Jeep, not Humvee
C-Rats, not MRE
I knew Alice but never met Molle

USMC 1976-2003
Sateens, then ERDL cammies
Mule's (the ones with 4 wheels)
Green jungle boots before the panama sole
M-202 Multi-purpose flame weapon
Bangalore torpedos
Two types of flak jackets...one with plates one with some other composite material...all VN vintage and well before kevlar
Cigarettes in the C-rations
P-38's
Mickey mouse boots
M1951 cold weather gear
VN era black leather cadillacs (which were very different from the 1980's issue leather boots)
Quonset huts (both in boot camp and my first infantry BN)
Wooden footlockers and steel wall lockers
Steel bunkbeds, fart sacks & open squadbays (not just during boot camp boys & girls––-afterwords. I never lived in anything but those until I was commissioned)
I'm sure I could remember more...but my old fart azz has to get up and go to work in the AM.

As they say in old Mexico...AMF   (10 internets for anyone who can tell me what dead DJ used to frequently sign off with that line)
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 6:44:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 6:45:20 PM EDT
[#28]
USMC, 1982 to 1986. I was issued winter wool Alphas and the summer weight poly wool blend Alphas. The green coated nylon raincoat and the wool "horse blanket" overcoat. I was issued a mixture of Woodland camo utilities (with the big collars) and ERDL camo jungle utilities. Had a steel pot, white T-shirts, and green field jackets. Never even saw an M16A2, or an M9.

I wouldn't call myself "Old Corps" since that distinction belongs to the pre WWII Marines, but I'm old enough.
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 6:46:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep, sad to say I guess you'd say I was "old" Army too! I was in during the 1970's and pilots were still being issued S & W Model 10's as sidearms.  M2 Carbines and M3 grease guns were still common.  I was a maverick. I carried a 1911 and a CAR-15.  Flight suits were the old two-piece nomex type and patches were all sewn on.

No shit? M2 Carbines as late as the 70's? Wow...

Now I do remember the grease guns. Tankers and recovery vehicle crews were issued those at Ft. Knox after I left Panama. Talking 1987.

Recovery still had Grease Guns in 1/5 Cav, 1st Cav in 1989, M1911's as well.  Steel pots in basic, Kelvar's for permanent party.
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 6:48:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I was in B-5-1. Wherever that was. Remember that nasty 3.2 draft beer and Sister Golden Hair was the only song on the jukebox. Damn, where did my life go. 5 months later in the Junkie barracks, Pond Barracks, Amberg, FRGhttp://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd44/ncmike57/2Cav75/scan0013.jpg?t=1289356727

We were wearing the same damned thing at Ft wainwright from 87-91.
When I got there in 87 we still had the M16A1. We terned in our 90's in about a month after I got there. In 88 we got the A2. We still had those heavy but warm Arctic sleeping bags, Wool long johns, mountain boots, VB boots.
We got the ECWCS stuff in 90.
We were driving CUCVs and Deuces.
 Chow in the field was first generation MREs and T-rats. Even ate some LRRP rations.
ALICE gear was all there was.
Our aviation brigade was outfitted with Hueys, old ass (I swear they were Vietnam era) Cobras, and Chinooks.
Eielson AFB still had KC-135s, A-10s, and OV-10s.
My combat boots were not speed lace.
Woodland BDUs in either cotton twill (which I preferred) or ripstop nylon (which I hated).
Only berets worn were by Special Forces, Rangers, and Airborne troops.

Link Posted: 11/9/2010 7:21:18 PM EDT
[#31]
11B20 - straight leg infantry - 1983 to 1986
23rd Infantry COHORT Unit - I was with the same guys all 3 years
Ft. Benning, Ft. Lewis, Camp Hovey Korea

Wore steel pot and army greens in basic, got BDU's at Lewis and Kevlar in Korea.

A1's, 1911's, 60's, LAW's, Dragon's, etc.  Hell, we even lugged the 90mm recoiless rifles around... now that's a load.

We got rides from the 2.5's and 5 tons, Blackhawks and Shithooks every once in a while, but mostly we humped our own gear like God intended.

Good times.
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 7:27:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Cpl, USMC '77-'81 here (MOS 7234)

You mean Old Corps! Hard Corps! Marine Corps!

I remember lots of what you do.

We still had jeeps, deuce-and-a-halfs. Remember the M880 Power Wagon?

We had the same 1911's, shotguns and M16A1's you used!

Oh, and tomorrow is our 235th birthday!

Semper fi to all my brother Marines past and present!!

Link Posted: 11/9/2010 7:40:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Went in summer of 85 so I guess I'm semi old. But damn some of you guys remember feeding the prime mover his oats dontcha?
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 7:50:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Woodland BDU's and M16A2s

M-60's were still around

M249 was still new-ish, so was the AT-4.

No more ICT, it was "Basic Warrior Training" or "BWT". The DIs affectionately called it "Buckwheat Training". Now it's "The Crucible".

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

I may have asked this before, but, was Sgt Post an 0811-Cannoneer by any chance?
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 7:57:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

(see sigline for dates) 1984 - until the MP's tell me to stop ignoring formation

19 of my 20 jumps were in a steel pot, the final in a Kevlar. There were units that had Kevlars earlier, but mainly RDF types (remember that term?). In BCT I was issues 2 sets elvis collar BDU's & 2 OG 107's.

As a grunt I carried an M16A1 my whole 4 years; mine was a Hydromatic.My "Colts Armalite" 4 digit serial number AR-15 in BCT As a mortar maggot we also had 1911A1 .45's for gunners and AG's, no Beretta M9's. Those old .45's would rattle if you shook them! Qualified with the same 1911's at AIT in Ft McClellan Prior to my 81mm days I was Four-Deuce (4.2" mortars, or 107mm). Our dataplates were dated 1954. M60 was the GPMG; 240's were co-ax guns on tanks only. We had old rattley Ithaca 12 gauges for guard duty.

I was stationed for 3 of my 4 years in Panama. We were issued the old OD green slant pocket jungle fatigues and OD jungle boots. Had those to at what is now Soto Cano AFB in Honduras in support of the El Sal CW You could wear BDU's in garrison but in the field jungles only. Rarely did you wear BDU's in garrison either 'cause they were so damn hot in the tropics. Lightweight BDU's didn't come out until the last few months before I PCS'd at the end of '86. We wore BDU soft caps (when not wearing maroon berets) which looked kinda weird with OD jungle fatigues. Only Rangers wore the OD patrol caps, which actually would have matched better.

Hummers hadn't hit the scene yet. It was "quarter tons" (jeeps) and Gamma-Goats, deuce-and-a-halfs and 5-tons.  Worked on all of those.

The "Vincent" was some new-fangled commo scrambling thingy we had on our vehicle mounted radios. I have no idea about those.

PRC-77's. 'Nuff said there.... Oh Yeah

I remember those as well. Still rolling 26 and counting.

Link Posted: 11/9/2010 8:01:56 PM EDT
[#36]
I was on active duty from Aug 1982 until I retired in Aug 2008.  26 years

Link Posted: 11/9/2010 8:02:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Old Army 1969-1975.  Unpacked my brand new GM Hydromatic M16A1 in "69" and I have had them ever since, bought my first Colt SP1 on leave.

Travel on either coast in uniform was a bitch, the hippies hated us.  Travel through the Heartland and the South was OK.  

Army life was.

Link Posted: 11/9/2010 8:04:40 PM EDT
[#38]
My dad always referred to "The Old Corps" when talking about the USMC as it was prior to his enlistment. He enlisted in 1945, so basically pre-war was old school.

Link Posted: 11/9/2010 8:23:18 PM EDT
[#39]
I got to the Ft Benning School for Wayward Boys in September 89, so I guess I'm old school enough.  We had A2's for the first half of OSUT, until we finished BRM.  After that, we got A1's.

I was assigned to D/5-8 INF, 1st BDE, 8th ID(M) at Lee Barracks, Mainz-Gonsenheim, FRG.  We still rolled in M-113's.  Our small arms consisted of A2's, SAW's, -60's, 1911's and M-3's for our mechanics.  I was assigned to weapons squad as a Dragon gunner, but also filled in as back-up RTO, complete with PRC-77.  Our MRE's had dehydrated pork patties and dehydrated ketchup.  BDU's had buttons on the sides to adjust the fit.  We had one E-6 in the company who had come from Ft Drum and wore an LBV, while we were all wearing H and Y harnesses (CIF passed out both).  He also wore a Gore-Tex jacket, which made us all jealous while we walked around in our woodland M-65 field jackets.  If you wanted to go to Berlin, you had to wear your uniform and there was only one road you were authorized to take, or you had to ride the train.  Of course, you had to have permission from the CoC and a brief from S-2.  We had to use ration cards for cigarettes, liquor and coffee.  Heck, it was a memorable day (01 OCT 91) when the USAEUR CG allowed us to have liquor in the barracks, as well as civilian furniture and bedding, and made 'dress right dress' wall locker displays a thing of the past.  Our front gate guard shack still had a wanted poster for the Red Army Faction.
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 8:23:41 PM EDT
[#40]
I am 3rd from the top all the way to the right behind the Drill Sgt.

Link Posted: 11/9/2010 8:27:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Old Army, basic at Harmony Church in Ft Benning 1979 A-2-1, No BDU'S we tucked our fatigue shirts in, M16A1's, steel pots, but I got to see all the changes that ocurred since I didn't get out until 1999.
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 10:35:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Using your definition, I would classify as an old school Marine (1979-1983)

Steel pots, flak jackets, c-rats, wooly-pully's, 1911's and M16A1's.
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 10:53:50 PM EDT
[#43]
According to the youngsters I work with I'm an "Old Marine".

Link Posted: 11/9/2010 11:02:51 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

That's me on the right.  

Steel pots and M16-A1s.

http://i55.tinypic.com/biusfp.jpg

For some reason, I was expecting an OD uniform, a Garand, and some cool German war trophies.

Link Posted: 11/10/2010 2:49:39 AM EDT
[#45]
USMC 82-90

No name or service branch patches, just the iron on EGA.

Steel Pots

Flak Jackets

M-16A1

M-1911

First pistol qual was with some type of S&W revolver. No rear sight and a half broken off front sight. The half that remained was bent .

C-Rats The first issue MRE's were gawd awful.

Jeeps, did not see a HUMVEE until my second enlistment.

Gamma Goats

I was issued a mixed bag of utilities in boot camp. I had a pair of lime ERDL trousers, a brown ERDL blouse with square pockets, a lime ERDL blouse that had the slant pockets that was way too big for me and the rest in the initial issue woodland cammies w/the huge collars. What a mess.

I did like the Wooly Pully sweater. Was a good piece of uniform in the chilly weather. Is that still worn?

I still have my rubberized rain coat and wool horse blanket cold weather coat.

I didn't shoot the M-16A2 for annual qual until my 2nd enlistment in 87.

Was a pistol range coach during the transition to the M9 in late 86. The M9 was an improvement from what I saw. Just my opinion though.

Link Posted: 11/10/2010 3:08:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Old Skool ROYAL AIR FORCE

Joined '85

We were issued late -WW2 type "Turtle" tin helmets, Boots DMS & PUTTEESS (these dated back to WW1 - see pics of the Trenches!!) & our primary arm was the 7.62mm SLR (L1A1).
NBC kit was plain green first style open fronted suits & the S6 respirator in a canvas carrier. Web gear was 58 pattern.

Was in the RAF Regiment Auxilliaries later in the decade - STILL with the 7.62mm SLR (though now we ALL had a SUSAT fitted) though the boots were the early high leg issue and the Helmets were the newer kevlar-type. NBC kit was DPM camo smock type suits & the S10 respirator in a canvas carrier. Web gear was still 58 pattern!!

Ration packs were tinned & a "choice" of FOUR menus!! Choice....!! FOUR....!!
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 3:13:32 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Not quite old Corps by any stretch of the imagination, but when I came into the Corps the first time back in 97 we had the analog cammies that required too many hours of ironing as well as boots that required polishing. I can remember the strange methods used to keep our cammies looking squared away, same goes for boots. When I deployed in 2003 for the invasion we wore the 3-color desert cammies with the 70's style wide collars and tan jungle boots.

My step-dad was old Corps, and my best friend's dad was stationed in Panama for a while as well as Cuba in the Corps. I have seen their pictures with the old OD green uniforms, and was told stories of them not having to get name tapes for their uniforms. The pocket had the EGA as well as USMC and that was all that was required.

Yeah... Prior to the 1st Gulf War, we were pretty anonymous on shore*, so a much-younger SgtG could have potentially been getting away with more shenanagins.

After a while, the GW1 press pool got tired of being briefed by unidentifiable Marine Corps officers, and we all were ordered to go and get name tapes put on.    

* deploying on a cruise with a MEU required us to ID our clothing with large block letters and last 4 of the SSN across the back of the shoulders, etc., ostensibly for the ship's laundry service.

Link Posted: 11/10/2010 5:06:39 AM EDT
[#48]
The best piece of gear I was ever issued was the extreme cold weather parka in Korea. I swear you could throw this thing on and instantly feel warm even in Arctic conditions. I felt impervious to the cold when I was wearing this.

Also loved my wool sweater and wore it whenever I could:

Link Posted: 11/10/2010 6:04:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Army Medic 1966-1968 (yes a scummy draftee).

I was state side the whole time. Never even saw a M-16. We qualified with M-14's in basic training. Since the real soliders needed the modern guns, we did our re-quals with Garands where I was stationed.

I did experience the joy that is M1 thumb.

Link Posted: 11/10/2010 6:07:45 AM EDT
[#50]

Had M16A1s...90mm recoiless rifle...1911A1s..
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top