Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2011 5:15:23 PM EDT
What is your opinion of the Coleman Scanoe for river fishing?

Anybody have one?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:24:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Save your money.  Poor quality, heavy as hell, rows like a oil barge. Even with a motor it's no great shakes.  Check out some other canoe manufacturers.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:26:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't know, but I once saw two dumbasses clamp a 15 hp on the ass of one and SCREAM out of a creek and into the Chesapeake!

I've wanted one ever since!

That said, I think it would be just the ticket for smaller rivers.
Run up and fish back down, or drift/fish down, and power back up.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:27:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Save your money.  Poor quality, heavy as hell, rows like a oil barge. Even with a motor it's no great shakes.  Check out some other canoe manufacturers.

Poor quality?

From what I've seen, they're tough as nails. For going down a river, heavy and hard to row aren't really issues.

My dad has an Old Towne Square-stern, wife and I are in the market (with a scanoe near the top of list), so, tagged.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:36:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had one for 15 years and I love it for fishing the mine lakes around here.  Mine has a 2.5 HP gas motor, trolling motor, and fish finder.  I've used it on rivers before, but it's more at home on small water.

The poster that said the quality is bad is flat out wrong if my Scanoe is typical.  I've bet the shit out of that thing and it has never, ever had a failure of any kind.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:40:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've had one for 15 years and I love it for fishing the mine lakes around here.  Mine has a 2.5 HP gas motor, trolling motor, and fish finder.  I've used it on rivers before, but it's more at home on small water.

The poster that said the quality is bad is flat out wrong if my Scanoe is typical.  I've bet the shit out of that thing and it has never, ever had a failure of any kind.

Yes, poor quality.  If you want a square stern design, there are several manufacturers that make better.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:46:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:47:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, poor quality.  If you want a square stern design, there are several manufacturers that make better.

I just want a floating canoe that can bang into rocks

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:48:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not claiming that a canoe made out of metal tubing and recycled milk jugs is top shelf, but that doesn't make it poor quality.  Mine has been tough as nails and worth every penny I paid for it.  We're just going to have to disagree on this one I'm afraid.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:51:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not claiming that a canoe made out of metal tubing and recycled milk jugs is top shelf, but that doesn't make it poor quality.  Mine has been tough as nails and worth every penny I paid for it.  We're just going to have to disagree on this one I'm afraid.

Is it a heavy boat?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:53:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Coleman canoes/scanoes jack of all trades master of none.  Spent many a spring and summer day floating down MT rivers.  Are they the most stable? No.  Are they the easiest to paddle? No.  Do they take a beating? Yes.  Do they get the job done? Absolutely Best bang fo the buck? Without a doubt
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:53:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Check out the porta-bote.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:54:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Check out the porta-bote.

Thanks for the suggestion
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:54:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is it a heavy boat?

Thanks
I don't know the exact weight but my son and i can load it onto the trailer with no sweat at all.  that said, you aren't going to portage it with just one person...

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:55:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it a heavy boat?

Thanks

A quick Google search says 110lbs.

Coleman RAM-X Scanoe:
3 Person (max.) scanoe
660 lbs or 300 kgs max. carrying capacity
110 lbs or 50kgs (Scanoe weight)
16’ 3” or 4.95m (length)
Reinforced aluminium flat transom motor mount
All aluminium framing and SS fittings
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:57:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Thank you
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:57:54 PM EDT
[#16]
The Coleman scanoe is alright, but it has compromises I don't like.   The quality is "OK" and they are fairly inexpensive.  The polyethylene hull is durable, but difficult to repair if you puncture it.   The craft is heavy and is noisy in the water.    It doesn't paddle well, but a small trolling motor will move it easily in still water.  For my money, a canoe or a small johnboat are both better options for situations I encounter.  

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:59:40 PM EDT
[#17]
It totally depends on how you will use it and your expectations.  I would not get one if you do not intend to put a motor on it and I would not get one if you intend to use it in a fast moving river.  If you will put a small motor on it and you're just going to beat the crap out of in on rocks it is pretty good for that for the price.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:59:53 PM EDT
[#18]
The very best advice I can give to any prospective boat buyer:

Buy used.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:01:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it a heavy boat?

Thanks

The figure I found is 56 KG, which is 123 pounds and change.

I'm pretty sure the boat made by Pelican now is the exact same (Bayou 160) and shows to weigh 125 pounds.

It's not what you'd want for one person, or going upstream, or even in still water. But for two people going downstream without turning over, it would be great.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:03:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Buy used.

Amen, for boats, cars, guns.....almost anything.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:17:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Another happy scanoe owner here. going on 15 years. 2.5 hp mercury, fish finder, and lots of beatups still going strong.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:22:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The very best advice I can give to any prospective boat buyer:
Great Advice.
Place an add in your free local bargain paper.
A lot of people buy a canoe, use it a few times, then it sits collecting dust and spider webs.
Their canoe was not as much fun as they thought it was.

Buy used.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top