Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2011 7:38:17 AM EDT
I keep reading stuff online where people claim their 30+ year old Revere Ware cookware is still going strong. I'm talking about the stainless pots with copper bottoms. Is this stuff still considered really good to cook with? Better than straight stainless cookware? I'm not worried about maintenance, that's easy. I just happen to have a set of Revere Ware pots and pans that were my grandmothers in my shed, and now I'm thinking I should clean them and use them. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 7:59:26 AM EDT
[#1]
By all means get them out, clean them up and start cooking. I am still using the full set of Revereware my mom bought at the PX in Rhein-Main Germany, in 1956, a year before I was born! The old style percolator coffee pot is on it's 3rd glass top, and second set of handles. I buy old beaters at garage sales and recycle the handles as needed. By my figures, those pots have cooked well over 40,000 meals in their lifetime. And No worries about the Teflon coming off. Go for it!! 44-40
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 8:06:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I have the set that we got when we got married.  My wife has gotten tired of them and we were given a set of non-stick (cheap) pans for Christmas.  Need to find better quality frying pans as the new ones tip off the burner when not held down.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 8:14:00 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

By all means get them out, clean them up and start cooking. I am still using the full set of Revereware my mom bought at the PX in Rhein-Main Germany, in 1956, a year before I was born! The old style percolator coffee pot is on it's 3rd glass top, and second set of handles. I buy old beaters at garage sales and recycle the handles as needed. By my figures, those pots have cooked well over 40,000 meals in their lifetime. And No worries about the Teflon coming off. Go for it!! 44-40

I found this place, they sell replacement handles and such:

http://www.reverewareparts.com/estore/By-Part/?gclid=CPaU-47KuqgCFYPD7QoddEM3Bg

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 8:15:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 8:17:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got a few pots and pans from RW that came with my wife.  They were her grandfather's.  When we got married, we got a full set of All Clad.

I prefer the Revereware.  It's lighter and it cooks just fine.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 8:33:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I keep reading stuff online where people claim their 30+ year old Revere Ware cookware is still going strong. I'm talking about the stainless pots with copper bottoms. Is this stuff still considered really good to cook with? Better than straight stainless cookware? I'm not worried about maintenance, that's easy. I just happen to have a set of Revere Ware pots and pans that were my grandmothers in my shed, and now I'm thinking I should clean them and use them. Thoughts?

There's going to be nothing at all wrong with granny's RW.  Clean it up and get cooking
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 8:45:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I had a acquaintance with about fifteen hundred dollars of high-end cookware hanging on racks in her zillion square foot kitchen.  She actually cooked on Revere Ware she got from her mother.  

Jane
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 8:50:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If you have a 4 QT sauce pan (with handle) I'll give you $30 for it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 8:52:16 AM EDT
[#9]
We use a Revere Ware set my wife got from her mother 35 years ago who originally received it as a wedding gift.  My guess is the set is at least 55 to 60 years old.  We like it and would not buy a different type.  The only things we do not use is the frying pans.  I have a set of cast iron fry pans I got from my Dad who got them from his Mother which would make them at least 70 or 80 years old.

To answer your question, yes folks still use Revere Ware.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 8:59:58 AM EDT
[#10]
There is no comparison to the new Fully Clad pans.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 9:01:56 AM EDT
[#11]
I hope the Revere Ware cooking set hasn't gone bad... My mom is still cooking in her set she was given as a wedding gift 58 years ago and we haven't gotten sick from it yet.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 9:03:39 AM EDT
[#12]
The history of the company includes the story of how Paul Revere's silver and copper shop were bought up in a merger in 1801.

Yes, THAT Paul Revere.

"One of the six firms in the 1928 merger traced its roots back to the famed American revolutionary and silversmith Paul Revere. This company, Taunton-New Bedford Copper Company, had bought the assets of Paul Revere and Son in 1801."

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 9:05:14 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

The history of the company includes the story of how Paul Revere's silver and copper shop were bought up in a merger in 1801.

Yes, THAT Paul Revere.

Oh, I know that already.

I know the quality of the pans won't "go bad" or anything. I'm just asking if they are still considered good cooking pans.

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 9:06:31 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, THAT Paul Revere.

Oh, I know that already.

I know the quality of the pans won't "go bad" or anything. I'm just asking if they are still considered good cooking pans.

well, poo. I thought I was dropping a nugget of information.

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 9:44:34 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, THAT Paul Revere.

Oh, I know that already.

well, poo. I thought I was dropping a nugget of information.  

I won't lie, that's part of the allure to a history geek like myself.

Oh, and this is what I'm currently using:

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod990374&navAction=

The Wolfgang Puck stainless steel set from Sam's. I guess they work OK.

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 10:05:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My folks used a set of revere ware for 50+ years

+1

I inherited my Mom's set. I use them a lot.

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 10:06:56 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm using decades old Revereware stuff, but wish I had All-Clad or something like it. I think its much nicer than Revereware.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 1:03:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I'm using decades old Revereware stuff, but wish I had All-Clad or something like it. I think its much nicer than Revereware.

Why do you think that?

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 1:18:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why do you think that?

The fully clad pans seem to heat more quickly, and cook more evenly.  (Note, I have not timed this, or measured it in a scientific way).  I also prefer a heavier pan.

That said, Revereware is WAY better than the teflon coated crap sold in most stores.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 1:44:04 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm thinking my broke ass will do well with them, then.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 1:46:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yup, you sure will.

They're not prissy or proud, but they will do their job if you do yours.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 1:54:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Like I said, I've got both.  If the RW is clean, that's my first choice usually.

I'm no chef though.  Maybe I'm not appreciating the finer cooking qualities due to ignorance, but if the All Clad set were lost in a boating accident I wouldn't cry much.

Like was said, some Revereware pots and a cast iron skillet and I'd mostly be set.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 2:05:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The two places to spend money in the kitchen:

1.  Knives

2.  Cookware.

In that order.  Consider buying one good all-clad saucepan or saute pan.  Go ahead with Revere Ware for most of the rest.  Buy one good (but not super expensive) non-stick fry pan as well, but know that all non-stick stuff wears out pretty fast, and should be replaced as soon as it's not "non-stick" anymore.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 2:20:54 PM EDT
[#24]
I used revere ware given to me by my mother new in the early 80's for over 20 years.  I've since upgraded to all-clad stainless but still have the revere ware.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 2:35:04 PM EDT
[#25]
I have most of the Revere ware set that my mother cooked the family meals on when I was a kid. I also have a bunch of stainless All Clad. I love both sets.  I tend to like the All Clad better for high heat applications like sauteing because I don't think it scorches food as easily.  

Often, when I use the old Revere ware pans, I think of my childhood and being in the kitchen with everyone still around, so that is kind of nice.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 3:49:25 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why do you think that?

The design of All-clad pots and pans is more intuitive and better suited to good cooking. The metals are also much thicker and are able to distribute the heat better.

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 3:52:04 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The two places to spend money in the kitchen:

1.  Knives

2.  Cookware.

In that order.  Consider buying one good all-clad saucepan or saute pan.  Go ahead with Revere Ware for most of the rest.  Buy one good (but not super expensive) non-stick fry pan as well, but know that all non-stick stuff wears out pretty fast, and should be replaced as soon as it's not "non-stick" anymore.

Yup, buy good knives and one or two good pans.

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 4:05:31 PM EDT
[#28]
We're still using Revereware we bought when we got married (27 years ago)
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 6:46:42 PM EDT
[#29]
I just went through my Mothers kitchen ware last week.

my neice took home my mothers 60yr old revere ware, 16 asst pots, pans, with lids and told me she was tossing her chinacrap as soon as she got home

mother cooked, a lot..in that 60 years for her husband,  for 3 sons, 9 grand children and 6 great grandchildren and those pots looked as good last week as they did 20 years ago.

OLD Revere ware is worth holding on to compared to the majority of crap on the market today with out spending a few K, I would jump on them

I have a 20 year old set of revere ware I use mostly for holiday cooking when my kids come..too big for my daily use...and I wont part with it..copper bottom cookware is second to none..

CHEF
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 6:50:23 PM EDT
[#30]
I love my Revere Ware and whenever I see knick knack/antique shops selling the stuff I snap it up. It's good stuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top