Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2011 5:16:11 AM EDT
The kind where you drop or throw it in the water and I guess it settles to the bottom and then you yank on the stri gs and it closes up and catch whatever was in it. I'm sure it has a "proper" name.

Do they make small versions of these that you can buy at the average fishing shop?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/2/2011 5:16:48 AM EDT
[#1]
casting net/cast net

Link Posted: 7/2/2011 5:18:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
casting net/cast net

Yep; should be able to get one at wal-mart. I think that's where I got mine.

Link Posted: 7/2/2011 5:22:39 AM EDT
[#3]
umbrella drop net most likely is what you are talking about.

nevermind just re-read your post it's a cast net.
Link Posted: 7/2/2011 5:28:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Very biblical.  

Link Posted: 7/2/2011 5:29:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The kind where you drop or throw it in the water and I guess it settles to the bottom and then you yank on the stri gs and it closes up and catch whatever was in it. I'm sure it has a "proper" name.

Do they make small versions of these that you can buy at the average fishing shop?

It's a cast net.  There's a Spanish cast net without brail lines that's used in shallow water, that one is used by letting it settle on the bottom & the fish are picked out by hand. The other is a brail (or braille) type cast net that's used in deeper water. I wouldn't let it settle on the bottom unless you want to lose it. It's worthwhile spending a few bucks more and getting a good one. The cheap ones usually don't open well & rarely have enough lead on them. Better yet learn to make one yourself.
Link Posted: 7/2/2011 5:32:28 AM EDT
[#6]
The proper name is a seine.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2011 5:34:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

^^ this is what I've always heard them called ^^
Link Posted: 7/2/2011 5:36:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Full of fail. That's a completely different type of net.
Link Posted: 7/2/2011 5:38:15 AM EDT
[#9]
They're called cast nets here, OP, if you get one you need to make sure you find out what

is legal to catch with it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2011 5:39:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

LAY OFF THE PAINT IF YOU'RE GONNA POST!
Link Posted: 7/2/2011 5:39:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

A seine net is a long flat net that is supported on two poles. one person walks out and circles back to shore. Basically creates a wall that is pulled into shore
Link Posted: 7/2/2011 5:39:50 AM EDT
[#12]

Throwing a cast net is a real art. We watched a guy work one from a sea wall, catching bait fish. He let us try it and the results were comical.

It looked like preparation is key, gathering the net in the throwing hand in a certain fashion but I could not get it to work.

Link Posted: 7/2/2011 5:41:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A seine net is a long flat net that is supported on two poles. one person walks out and circles back to shore. Basically creates a wall that is pulled into shore

Or they use heavy weights and boats.
Link Posted: 7/2/2011 5:45:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LAY OFF THE PAINT IF YOU'RE GONNA POST!

WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU AND WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

Link Posted: 7/2/2011 10:51:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It's a cast net.  There's a Spanish cast net without brail lines that's used in shallow water, that one is used by letting it settle on the bottom. Better yet learn to make one yourself.

Cool. I'm sure what's out there is more than I would need. I'm catching fish with a handle net with my kids. We're picking freshwater mussels off the bottom of the lake and using them for bait. We put the net in and drop bait down in front of it then scoop up the fish that gets close enough. We've done ok with it. Just thought it would be neat to do it with a cast net using the same baiting method. We're just catching lite sun fish and dropping them back in after they swim around in a bucket for a while.

So I would need a pretty small cast net.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top