Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/22/2011 1:58:19 PM EDT
I am thinking franks and beans. Giving you an 8 square shit with 4 squares of paper.
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 2:02:55 PM EDT
[#1]
C-ration?
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 2:05:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
C-ration?

AKA Combat Ration.  Metal cans, Lucky Strikes etc...

Link Posted: 7/22/2011 2:05:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

C-ration?

What soldiers ate before the MRE and it's jalapeno cheese and vegi crackers, pound cake, and milk shakes

Pound Cake.
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 2:08:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

C-ration?
C

D

K

10 IN 1

Link Posted: 7/22/2011 2:12:17 PM EDT
[#5]
You hit some of the sites that keep track of how these evolved, and suddenly those U.S. ww2 rats don't look so bad.
Some of the stuff the Germans came up with was downright grim.
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 2:15:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Pork, lard, and beans

So yum
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 2:16:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I didn't make this thread because I didn't want to get a warning for posting repeat/similar threads.
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 2:29:35 PM EDT
[#8]
When you're drunk camping in the woods and your buddy has a case of C-rats in the trunk of his 57 Chevy.

It all tasted pretty damn good.

GM
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 2:30:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Beenie Weenies.  I saw fights over them.
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 2:39:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You hit some of the sites that keep track of how these evolved, and suddenly those U.S. ww2 rats don't look so bad.

The Japanese had it even worse.  They were issued uncooked rice and meat.  Expected to cook themselves.

Link Posted: 7/22/2011 2:48:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Pecan nut roll.
Hands down the best thing from a can
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 2:49:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Japanese had it even worse.  They were issued uncooked rice and meat.  Expected to cook themselves.

-"Expected to cook themselves. " -
Unintended double entendre?
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 2:50:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I was probably the only soldier in the US military that liked the C-ration Ham and Lima Beans.

Link Posted: 7/22/2011 2:56:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Only experience I ever had with 'em was finding the odd and end
on Radio Island.  They taste good as hell when you're a kid and it's
"Army food"
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 3:04:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I was probably the only soldier in the US military that liked the C-ration Ham and Lima Beans.

http://www.c-ration.com/media/C-ration%20bilder/PB190023.jpg

Hey look there is less poison crap in them than in alot of food we see on our shelves theese days.
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 3:05:14 PM EDT
[#16]
I liked " ham, sliced, cooked with juices" it had fruit cocktail in the box
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 3:06:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Never had any.
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 3:12:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

What, you don't like that grease in a tube that they would spread over their schwarzbrot?

I hate the ham and mo-f***s.  The regular pork and beans were good.
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 3:22:13 PM EDT
[#19]
German chocolate cake
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 3:54:22 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't think anyone on this board actually participated in WWII.  

But I was issued some 1970's, post-Vietnam (no cigarettes) C-rations during my first three years of service.
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 4:01:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

My BIL brought one of those cartons back from Viet Nam and gave it to me.  I was impressed how good everything in that box was.  The others, not so much.  

Link Posted: 7/22/2011 4:01:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What, you don't like that grease in a tube that they would spread over their schwarzbrot?

You left out the "Ersatz" part.  Kind of like a tube full of "Lard flavored oleo". Or the horror stories I heard about their ersatz coffee.  Basically brown water with a touch of chicory. Yum.
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 4:04:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
"Army food"

Which Radio Island?  The only one I ever heard of is near Beaufort, NC.  I suppose there are several, though.

ETA: I had some of the Vietnam leftovers as a kid.  None really impressed me but they were different.  I seem to recall that the crackers were simultaneously nasty and tasty...
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 4:07:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The Forest Service used to issue this stuff to their firefighters in the early to mid sixties.   I didnt mind the lima beans, and the pound cake would go down okay.  Usually the cake was safe and wouldnt make you sick.
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 4:08:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Pork, lard, and beans

So yum

Freezing to death due to lack of calories and protein means it may be yuck but it saved a whole lotta lives. Hi cal, high fat beats vegetarian hash when you're fighting a war and burning thousands of calories a day.
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 4:09:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Army food"

Which Radio Island?  The only one I ever heard of is near Beaufort, NC.  I suppose there are several, though.

ETA: I had some of the Vietnam leftovers as a kid.  None really impressed me but they were different.  I seem to recall that the crackers were simultaneously nasty and tasty...

That's the one.  We went to the beach there a great deal in the 70s-80s when I was growing up there.
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 4:09:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Pecan nut roll.

Pound cake wasn't bad either.
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 4:10:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Why only C-rats?  No love for the K-ration?
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 4:10:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

This might be the first time in my adult life that I have heard the name "beenie weenies"  since I was a child.  I didn't realize it now, but back when I was a kid - Momma would make "beenie weenies" and it was like a 5 star occasion.  I had no idea why it was called that, or where the dish even came from..  

PS.  We ate it so much, i doubt i could even smell it without getting a little bit ill these days.
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 4:18:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey look there is less poison crap in them than in alot of food we see on our shelves theese days.

Ham and Motherfuckers.
To this day my Father, a Vietnam Vet, refuses to eat lima beans.
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 4:27:29 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

"Gott in Himmel!  Jew again!"  

Link Posted: 7/22/2011 4:33:19 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You left out the "Ersatz" part.  Kind of like a tube full of "Lard flavored oleo". Or the horror stories I heard about their ersatz coffee.  Basically brown water with a touch of chicory. Yum.

Iron Rations

Link Posted: 7/22/2011 4:33:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 4:39:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Those weren't too terrible.
Remember the Ham and Eggs?
Only time I ever actually saw real green eggs!
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 4:40:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Iron Rations  

Yum. babycrackers and canned mystery meat. Pass the ersatzkaffee, Hans.
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 4:46:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

But I was issued some 1970's, post-Vietnam (no cigarettes) C-rations during my first three years of service.

When I was in Basic Training (USAF, April 1984), they were handing out C-rats during one of our field days, guys in line ahead of me where handed boxes with cans, and my group ended up with First Gen  MRE's.   I got the Meatballs in BBQ Sauce.

Neighbor of mine was in the Army in the 60's & 70's, so I got my hands on some of the post Vietnam C-rats, I remember eating spaghetti, and Ham & Beans, and I also remember the small cans of peanut butter. Stuff was pretty good.
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 4:50:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I was in Basic Training (USAF, April 1984), they were handing out C-rats during one of our field days, guys in line ahead of me where handed boxes with cans, and my group ended up with First Gen  MRE's.   I got the Meatballs in BBQ Sauce.

Neighbor of mine was in the Army in the 60's & 70's, so I got my hands on some of the post Vietnam C-rats, I remember eating spaghetti, and Ham & Beans, and I also remember the small cans of peanut butter. Stuff was pretty good.

+1.  Same here. I was in a year before.  The cans filled with rocks worked great on the trip wire for sound.
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 4:52:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Were the TI's giving a warning about "pregnant cans"?
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 4:53:56 PM EDT
[#39]
My dad had a shitload of C rats when I was a kid.  I remember them being pretty good.  A lot better than any MRE I've had.
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 5:06:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Iron Rations  

Ahh, mystery meat.  When I was in Israel, I bought two cans of mystery meat.  It was in hebrew and you couldn't really tell if it was pork, chicken or beef.  Anyway, my guide asked me why I was buying it and pointed out that she wouldn't buy it herself.  I told her that I wanted to present them as souvenirs of my trip to Israel.  She told me that I should find some nicer Israeli product to bring home as gifts and that she would be embarrassed to give that meat.  Nope, mystery meat it was.  I'm sure my siblings still have it too.  

This year it was mystery meat and comatose level hotsauce from Beleize.
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 5:08:39 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Iron Rations  

Ahh, mystery meat.  When I was in Israel, I bought two cans of mystery meat.  It was in hebrew and you couldn't really tell if it was pork, chicken or beef.  Anyway, my guide asked me why I was buying it and pointed out that she wouldn't buy it herself.  I told her that I wanted to present them as souvenirs of my trip to Israel.  She told me that I should find some nicer Israeli product to bring home as gifts and that she would be embarrassed to give that meat.  Nope, mystery meat it was.  I'm sure my siblings still have it too.  

This year it was mystery meat and comatose level hotsauce from Beleize.
I'm gonna bet it wasn't pork.

Link Posted: 7/22/2011 5:10:15 PM EDT
[#42]
You'd have to be pushing 60 to have any extensive-enough culinary history with C rats in order to have an opinion on the topic.
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 5:13:38 PM EDT
[#43]
When my Scout Platoon was issued MRE's for the first time we thought it was wonderful.  Even now older soldiers wonder what the heck you newby's are bitching about.
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 5:13:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Dad (VN vet) mentioned that one of the Lts in his unit had the nickname Lt Beanie Weenie because he had the uncanny knack of showing up right as somebody popped the wire on a case of C-Rats & would snag the franks & beans.

After Hurricane Camille (dad was stationed in Gulfport, MS) C-Rations were all we lived on for a good long while.  
Being a wee sprog at the time I don't recall eating them...as a goofy teenager (80s-I think MREs had just started coming out) I did try some sort of chocolate cake C-Rat I bought at the local surplus store.  Dad warned me i wouldn't like it....& he was right.
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 5:19:04 PM EDT
[#45]
RHIP
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 5:25:25 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

You'd have to be pushing 60 to have any extensive-enough culinary history with C rats in order to have an opinion on the topic.

Not really. We had WWII era C Rats as kids in the early seventies. Scouts and such. I was also issued Vietnam era C Rats in 1990 while on range detail in basic training. Much better than MRE's.

Link Posted: 7/22/2011 5:25:36 PM EDT
[#47]
The White Bread with Grape Jam was not too bad.

Link Posted: 7/22/2011 5:28:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not really. We had WWII era C Rats as kids in the early seventies. Scouts and such. I was also issued Vietnam era C Rats in 1990 while on range detail in basic training. Much better than MRE's.

This- I saw loads of 60's/70's era field rations turning up "surplus" as late as 92.
A lot of them were pregnant or leaking though.
Link Posted: 7/22/2011 5:29:15 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pecan nut roll.

Pound cake wasn't bad either.

When I was a kid we would buy the pound cake at the war surplus store.

Yummm

Link Posted: 7/22/2011 5:29:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Not really.
.Mil was issuing C rations all the way up to Gulf War 1 in 91
I started seeing variations of MRE type meals in 83 or 84 and at the time the Canadians had the best stuff going.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top