Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2011 2:03:34 AM EDT
Anyone have any idea what a decent upholstery shop may charge to recover a motorcycle seat?  The seat in question is not a small single-ass saddle like on a cruiser, but a longer dual seat (rider and pillion).  

I've found a guy selling a Corbin seat for my bike (Honda ST1100) on eBay for a good price, but the saddle is ripped a bit at the nose, and a couple spots on the back.  Haven't asked him about the condition of the foam yet.  

I'll be borrowing a Corbin seat from a guy in DFW this week, which will give me a little time to decide if I like it or not.  If I do, buying the one on eBay may be a real option, since I'd probably save money buying it and having it repaired or recovered instead of buying a new one.  

People say that the Corbin saddles are nice, but are pretty firm.  If my bony ass doesn't like that one, there's also a Saddlemen Stealth Gel seat on eBay.  More expensive, but it would be new.  

Just want to get a heads up on what it may cost to get a seat recovered.  Nothing exotic -no custom leather or embroidery, just recovered in some plain ass vinyl or synthetic stuff.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 2:48:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I just had my grizzly atv seat recovered. Cost me 50 for the cover and 45 for labor.

I have a softail seat for 2 if anyone needs one.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:16:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I had my Kodiak seat recovered about 5 years ago, nothing special, vinyl or something. $75.

I thought that was pricey, but apparently it's the norm.

I'm confident if I had covered it myself I could have done it for $10-$20 material and an hour labor.

New seat would have been almost $300, I checked.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:27:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Doesn't sound so bad...  I thought if I got that seat, I'd also get a gel pad to stick in there.  If the cost to recover with vinyl or synthetic is cheap, I might be able to just say 'fuck it' and have it covered with leather.   We'll see.  

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:30:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Had a seat redone last year on a vintage BMW toaster tank $65
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:36:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I put a Corbin Gunfighter on my old Ninja and loved it . Much more comfortable on long rides .
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 3:45:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I made a seat pan out of stainless sheet metal and brought it to a shop.

$35 for foam and vinyl covering. Very professionally done. Yes, it was a solo seat.

a-bare
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:12:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I put a Corbin on my ZRX and never looked back. I've ridden from SoCal to Canada and back through all the western states and still can't complain about the ride.

Re-upholstering a (dirt bike) motorcyle seat is pretty easy, I've done a few dirt bike seats myself. You really just need a staple gun and some patience. I don't know if anyone sells seat covers for street bikes though.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:21:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I put a Corbin on my ZRX and never looked back. I've ridden from SoCal to Canada and back through all the western states and still can't complain about the ride.

Re-upholstering a (dirt bike) motorcyle seat is pretty easy, I've done a few dirt bike seats myself. You really just need a staple gun and some patience. I don't know if anyone sells seat covers for street bikes though.

Well, the seat is not a simple shape, it's got several pieces stitched together covering different parts of the saddle.   I'll see if I can find a picture.

It's kinda like this one, but red piping:

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:09:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Have you checked with Corbin?
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:07:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Anyone have any idea what a decent upholstery shop may charge to recover a motorcycle seat?  The seat in question is not a small single-ass saddle like on a cruiser, but a longer dual seat (rider and pillion).  

I've found a guy selling a Corbin seat for my bike (Honda ST1100) on eBay for a good price, but the saddle is ripped a bit at the nose, and a couple spots on the back.  Haven't asked him about the condition of the foam yet.  

I'll be borrowing a Corbin seat from a guy in DFW this week, which will give me a little time to decide if I like it or not.  If I do, buying the one on eBay may be a real option, since I'd probably save money buying it and having it repaired or recovered instead of buying a new one.  

People say that the Corbin saddles are nice, but are pretty firm.  If my bony ass doesn't like that one, there's also a Saddlemen Stealth Gel seat on eBay.  More expensive, but it would be new.  

Just want to get a heads up on what it may cost to get a seat recovered.  Nothing exotic -no custom leather or embroidery, just recovered in some plain ass vinyl or synthetic stuff.

I sent the one for my Hayabusa to A place called New Image and they did it in a few days and had it sent back. They do al sorts of bikes.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 9:40:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Have you checked with Corbin?

They're not cheap to start off with, plus the shipping costs alone could offset any value they could offer.  See below.

Quoted:
Quoted:

I sent the one for my Hayabusa to A place called New Image and they did it in a few days and had it sent back. They do al sorts of bikes.

Shipping (one way) for a seat like mine is usually north of $40... so $80 just to send it somewhere to have it re-covered....  I'd rather check some local upholstery shops since saving money is the goal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top