Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 7:29:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Only two patches I didn't earn were the TAD star of life and the Jedi Council ones. The rest I got from NREMT, UT BEMS, and my employer. I gave one from my employer away bc someone here collects them & I didn't need two. I see no problem with having there here or there as jokes. Just like anything else, there is a limit that once exceeded makes the wearer look worse.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 7:34:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
In Thebombers defense, I've purchased coins and given them as thank you gifts to people who've sent me care packages.  I would theoretically give a coin that someone presented to me to someone else as a gift, if someone helped me out enough that I felt the situation called for it.  

Maybe I'm cynical but the coins I've received have been "earned" due to me being in the right place at the right time, or just doing my job.  That's why most coins mean even less than military awards nowadays, but I could see how they would mean a lot to someone else who isn't as jaded.

In that case you are personally presenting it as a thank you, which is the intent of the tradition.  I think presenting other people's coins is a dick move, especially if they have someone's name on them.

I went through a lot to earn most of the coins in my pic, and none of them were "hey you, here's a coin for no reason".
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 7:38:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a small collection of challenge coins, but its not something I've pursued as a hobby, just coins I've collected over my years in the .mil
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 7:40:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a ton (maybe 20) patches, makes for fun safe decorations.

The only challenge coins I have have been given to me, traded, or from where I work. (so that's 3 total )

edit: I do think they are played out to an extent. I don't display them like some major accomplishment, I just think they are cool in the same way I think flags and other memorabilia are cool
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 7:42:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I think coins can be used very effectively at the small team/unit level when for whatever reason you can't give someone an achievement medal.  Beyond that size of military unit, the criteria for giving them becomes more impersonal and the coin itself is cheapened.
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 7:47:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I think coins can be used very effectively at the small team/unit level when for whatever reason you can't give someone an achievement medal.  Beyond that size of military unit, the criteria for giving them becomes more impersonal.

I don't believe this is correct in my opinion.  I'm pretty proud of some of those Bn level plus coins I have, a few of them represent things I would never want to do again.

YMMV, but just because some coins are given for obnoxious reasons does not take away from the ones that weren't.  I don't think any less of some of my awards I rightfully earned just because some people got them that didn't.

Honestly these patches and coins were a military tradition.  If anyone killed it it's non-mil guys picking it up trying to feel special.   When i see someone that never served with 60 morale patches on their kit talking about "the suck" and a rack full of coins it makes me shake my head.
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 7:55:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Good, then you got your BN-level coins for a good reason, and I'm sure there are times when even a COCOM gives a coin for a great job.  But as a general rule, they start to lose their meaning the higher the rank.  My most prized coin is from an Army CPT.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 8:30:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What was your MOS?

I'm AF - 3D1X7.

Same career field as 0612 & 0613 for the Marines.
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 8:34:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What was your MOS?

I'm AF - 3D1X7.

I went to the cable splicing school at Sheppard AFB in 1991, and the digital switch (SL-100) school in 1995.
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 8:44:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What was your MOS?

I'm AF - 3D1X7.

I went to the cable splicing school at Sheppard AFB in 1991, and the digital switch (SL-100) school in 1995.

The 364th school house is still there for training. I went through in 2007 with a mix of Air Force, Army NG and two Marines. I've also done two TDY's there for the tower repelling & rescue course and a fiber splicing course. Fun stuff and a great career field.

Link Posted: 12/21/2011 8:45:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What was your MOS?

I'm AF - 3D1X7.

The 364th school house is still there for training. I went through in 2007 with a mix of Air Force, Army NG and two Marines. I've also done two TDY's there for the tower repelling & rescue course and a fiber splicing course. Fun stuff and a great career field.

Was Mr. Blevins still there teaching pole climbing? What about Mr. McMurry?
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 10:03:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What was your MOS?

I'm AF - 3D1X7.

Was Mr. Blevins still there teaching pole climbing? What about Mr. McMurry?

Neither one of them were there, although the name Blevins sounds familiar. There will still quite a few old school guys though, like Mr. McReynolds and Gifford.
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 10:09:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I only have one challenge coin: the successful nuclear reactor test for the Mars Science Laboratory. It's kinda different.

pics if you have any

They're not the greatest pictures, but here you go.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o1/UMRMech/CCCombined.jpg

very cool
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 10:10:18 AM EDT
[#14]

now that is cool looking
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 10:11:20 AM EDT
[#15]

oh wow now that is cool
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 10:12:05 AM EDT
[#16]
I've gotten two for being new to a unit.
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 10:42:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I only have one challenge coin: the successful nuclear reactor test for the Mars Science Laboratory. It's kinda different.

pics if you have any

They're not the greatest pictures, but here you go.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o1/UMRMech/CCCombined.jpg

very cool

Thanks. I also have a patch that I was given for my work on a "black program." It has an eagle on it and the designation P07. I have no idea what it is or what it does, but we were told it's extremely successful.

I always got a kick out of that.

Link Posted: 12/21/2011 11:44:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope, if they aren't earned then it is just a poser advertisement
My2c

+1,  all of the challenge coins that i have were awarded to me.  I have never bought nor will i ever buy a coin.  

What a bunch of BS. Since I have a VP coin does that mean I'm posing as the VP? If someone has an M9, M4gery, Garand and M1911 does that mean they're a poser?

The purpose of coins is to be awarded them.  If you have a VP coin and weren't awarded it, AND aren't the VP, it's kinda wierd.  Are you a fanboy of the VP or something?

Whatever dude.

It was given to me by a friend who was Cheney's Marine Corps Military advisor. He gave it to me as a gift. Am I supposed to disrespect him and say "no I don;t want it, because some one may call me a poser"? It sits on a shelf in my home office.

You should get over yourself.

Why people give other people coins that were presented to them I will never understand.  Coins aren't supposed to be novelty swag, they are given for accomplishments.   I would have refused the coin, because presenting something that somebody else earned isn't my style.  But that's just me.

It was a dick move by your friend to give it to you in the first place. Cheney presented it to HIM for service, not to you.  I'd be pissed if I gave a coin to someone and they gave it away to somebody else, and now some douchebag I don't know is displaying a coin with my name on it.

All my coins were earned.....by me.

You're running off half cocked. The coin exists to give away. They're freaking ceremonial coins and not service related. He had a few of them and he was proud to give it to me as I was to receive it. I'll let the Major know you think it was a "dick move". I'm sure he'll be glad to hear you don't approve of him. BTW the coin doesn't have a name on it. Do you realize people collect all kinds of stuff from Uniforms to Nascar to pro sports.

I'm sorry you feel threatened. I am obviously respected by my friends enough for them to give them to me as gifts. Frankly speaking, I have some other coins that were given to me by folks at some agencies and units that would probably make your head pop off

Link Posted: 12/21/2011 12:25:09 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
He had a few of them and he was proud to give it to me as I was to receive it.

So he gave you a coin representing the VP, even though he is not the VP.   Send me a Michael Jordan basketball card and i'll sign it for you and you can frame that in your office as well.

Quoted:
I have some other coins that were given to me by folks at some agencies and units that would probably make your head pop off

I don't get giddy at the same stuff you do, so probably not.  Chances are i've probably worked with those same units and agencies before, while you just collect their coins.

That said, when I look at my coins I know I earned them.  You know you have a trinket.
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 12:28:43 PM EDT
[#20]
I have bought coins to give out to people as thanks for care packages, etc...

Link Posted: 12/21/2011 12:31:11 PM EDT
[#21]

Please post a picture of your banned CEXC t-shirt.

Link Posted: 12/21/2011 12:32:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

As you should have.

I'm fairly certain you didn't buy a coin representing something you aren't, like a rank or title.  I have bought coins to give out as well, for care packages, when I pin a rank or badge on someone, etc.  Those coins always showed my unit, MOS or branch.  I didn't give people POTUS or SMA coins.
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 12:34:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You're running off half cocked. The coin exists to give away. They're freaking ceremonial coins and not service related. He had a few of them and he was proud to give it to me as I was to receive it. I'll let the Major know you think it was a "dick move". I'm sure he'll be glad to hear you don't approve of him. BTW the coin doesn't have a name on it. Do you realize people collect all kinds of stuff from Uniforms to Nascar to pro sports.

I'm sorry you feel threatened. I am obviously respected by my friends enough for them to give them to me as gifts. Frankly speaking, I have some other coins that were given to me by folks at some agencies and units that would probably make your head pop off

I could not care less if you bought, earned, or received coins as gifts. That being said, your super secret friends in high places name dropping is a bit childish.

ETA: To kill the quote tree
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 12:34:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Lucky for you I like you AND it was sitting at the top of a laundry basket next to me that my wife was urging me to take upstairs.

Link Posted: 12/21/2011 12:34:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:
He had a few of them and he was proud to give it to me as I was to receive it.

So he gave you a coin representing the VP, even though he is not the VP.   Send me a Michael Jordan basketball card and i'll sign it for you and you can frame that in your office as well.

Quoted:
I have some other coins that were given to me by folks at some agencies and units that would probably make your head pop off

I don't get giddy at the same stuff you do, so probably not.  Chances are i've probably worked with those same units and agencies before, while you just collect their coins.

That said, when I look at my coins I know I earned them.  You know you have a trinket.

I'm sure you did .

Not giddy dude. The "pop off" part was refering to you being so judgemental. Some one gives me a gift I graciously accept and in this case put it on shelf.  

Link Posted: 12/21/2011 12:35:05 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't give people POTUS or SMA coins.

True. I hadn't hit that part of the thread yet when I replied.

I wouldn't give away a coin that had been awarded to me. (Assuming that I ever get awarded one )

Link Posted: 12/21/2011 12:38:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
. That being said, your super secret friends in high places name dropping is a bit childish.

Some people feel the need to live through the accomplishments of others, either because of low self esteem or a desire to make themselves seem more important.

It also seems the dude in question got called out for the same exact thing very recently in another thread.
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 12:39:42 PM EDT
[#28]
I have been patches for my Max bag as well.  Even bought a Tactical Tailor stocking cap w/Velcro Panel on it from MilSpec Monkey to put patches on.  

I don't do the challenge coin thing.  Dillos are my preferred Small Metal Collectible.

EDIT: I should add that my patches are the funny MilSpec monkey ones: Zombie Hunter, the Samuri Kanji one, etc.  I also have a few manufacturer ones that I won in various give-a-ways.  But I have no Military ones, since I wasn't in the mil.
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 12:41:35 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lucky for you I like you AND it was sitting at the top of a laundry basket next to me that my wife was urging me to take upstairs.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m303/daemon734/DSCF1727.jpg

Thanks!

The best looking patch that I've seen so far is Task Force Troy.

It has panache.

Link Posted: 12/21/2011 12:42:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I could not care less if you bought, earned, or received coins as gifts. That being said, your super secret friends in high places name dropping is a bit childish.

And you shouldn't care. The point was he kinda lost it for no reason and was laughing that he may really blow a gasket

Link Posted: 12/21/2011 12:42:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

http://www.prlog.org/10257538-attachment.jpg

It has panache.

I have a Troy t-shirt from Iraq too.
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 12:43:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's a challenge coin?

The things you bet in poker, I think.

Tradition started in military.

A member of a unit or specialty will "challenge" another member in the bar.

Whoever does not produce their "challenge coin" showing membership in the fraternity in question buys the beer.

(I never heard of anyone actually DOING this BTW, but so the story goes...).

This happened on a regular basis in Korea 10 years ago...coins were pretty much standard issue for every squadron, and were generally given out when a radio handle was earned.  This explanation is historically accurate and a bit on the tame side.  I would be damned impressed if anyone could even make up a story wild enough that I'd call them on it.  Too many crazy stories of my own to tell from there.  My radio call sign was "Oops."
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 12:45:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

And you shouldn't care. The point was he kinda lost it for no reason and was laughing that he may really blow a gasket

What I said was that it makes me shake my head when I see dumb stuff like that.

If you want to act like you got a coin from the VP by presenting it in your office, go ahead.  It seems you require the attention and false sense of importance, just like dropping unnamed "secret agent" buddies in threads, which I notice you recently got called for elsewhere too.

And yes, I have worked directly with damn near everybody that is on the ground in Iraq/Afghanistan at some point.....and if they aren't there I don't give a shit about them.
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 12:48:23 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.prlog.org/10257538-attachment.jpg

It has panache.

I have a Troy t-shirt from Iraq too.

This is my surprised face

Play cool games, win cool prizes

Link Posted: 12/21/2011 12:49:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As I said in my last post, I could not care less. I was just throwing it out there that while name dropping might impress the boys in the gun shop it does little around here and looks silly. No malice intended, just my opinion and you can take it or leave it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 12:51:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
As I said in my last post, I could not care less. I was just throwing it out there that while name dropping might impress the boys in the gun shop it does little around here and looks silly. No malice intended, just my opinion and you can take it or leave it.

I doubt it impresses them either.
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 1:02:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope, if they aren't earned then it is just a poser advertisement
My2c

+1,  all of the challenge coins that i have were awarded to me.  I have never bought nor will i ever buy a coin.  

What a bunch of BS. Since I have a VP coin does that mean I'm posing as the VP? If someone has an M9, M4gery, Garand and M1911 does that mean they're a poser?

The purpose of coins is to be awarded them.  If you have a VP coin and weren't awarded it, AND aren't the VP, it's kinda wierd.  Are you a fanboy of the VP or something?

Whatever dude.

It was given to me by a friend who was Cheney's Marine Corps Military advisor. He gave it to me as a gift. Am I supposed to disrespect him and say "no I don;t want it, because some one may call me a poser"? It sits on a shelf in my home office.

You should get over yourself.

Why people give other people coins that were presented to them I will never understand.  Coins aren't supposed to be novelty swag, they are given for accomplishments.   I would have refused the coin, because presenting something that somebody else earned isn't my style.  But that's just me.

It was a dick move by your friend to give it to you in the first place. Cheney presented it to HIM for service, not to you.  I'd be pissed if I gave a coin to someone and they gave it away to somebody else, and now some douchebag I don't know is displaying a coin with my name on it.

All my coins were earned.....by me.

Now you're just trolling.  He's trying to explain that it is more than just collecting, there is a tradition behind it.  Quit trying to get a rise out of him by disrespecting the tradition.
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 1:03:56 PM EDT
[#38]
I was a crew chief for a year in Seoul.  Our primary mission was mostly hauling VIPs from Seoul to various bases around the country.  Then I got transferred to VA to do the same job for the Pentagon.  I have a bunch of challenge coins in a box somewhere I'll see if I can dig 'em up and post a pic.

ETA:  And since it seems to be a concern to some folks...every one of the coins I have was presented by a General grade officer or one of their staff directly to me.  No freebies here.
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 1:05:19 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

. That being said, your super secret friends in high places name dropping is a bit childish.

Some people feel the need to live through the accomplishments of others, either because of low self esteem or a desire to make themselves seem more important.

It also seems the dude in question got called out for the same exact thing very recently in another thread.

Watch your mouth! He's gonna tell a Major on you!

Link Posted: 12/21/2011 1:16:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Now you're just trolling. He's trying to explain that it is more than just collecting, there is a tradition behind it. Quit trying to get a rise out of him by disrespecting the tradition.

I got that....I was trying to explain that there are a lot of coins be given out by people connected to the organization that the coin represents to friends, family etc as opposed to service. Evidently there are a lot of folks not adhering to the tradition. That was my point and nothing else other than my belief that calling some one a "douchebag" or describing something as a "dick move" is kinda childish.
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 3:02:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Watch your mouth! He's gonna tell a Major on you!

Tell him Daemon734 from the internet said it's a dick move.
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 5:54:46 PM EDT
[#42]
4 of my favorites.

Link Posted: 12/21/2011 6:42:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Here's some patches....

Link Posted: 12/21/2011 6:45:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's a challenge coin?

Whoever does not produce their "challenge coin" showing membership in the fraternity in question buys the beer.

That sounds pretty lame.

I'm all ears for another, less lame explanation for the "challenge coin" concept.

Got any exciting ones?

That's the tradition I've always heard it came from.
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 6:52:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 6:55:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Found this picture of a few patches that I traded for in my photobucket, can't remember why I took it but it seems relevant here.

Link Posted: 12/21/2011 7:27:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's a challenge coin?

That sounds pretty lame.

I'm all ears for another, less lame explanation for the "challenge coin" concept.

Got any exciting ones?

Less lame explanations?  

That's how it works, no more, no less.

If a bunch of guys in my unit are on TDY and at a bar together, I guarantee somebody will drop a coin and whoever doesnt have one will be buying the round for everyone.  It happens all the time.  We don't play the rank game on the coin, it's whoever doesn't have an EOD coin buys.
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 7:28:34 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's a challenge coin?

That sounds pretty lame.

Got any exciting ones?

Less lame explanations?  

That's how it works, no more, no less.

If a bunch of guys in my unit are on TDY and at a bar together, I guarantee somebody will drop a coin and whoever doesnt have one will be buying the round for everyone.  It happens all the time.  We don't play the rank game on the coin, it's whoever doesn't have an EOD coin buys.

I'm not drinking with you assholes.

Link Posted: 12/21/2011 7:29:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Slovakian EOD patch, from their very first EOD team which my team trained.

Link Posted: 12/21/2011 7:30:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I'm not drinking with you assholes.

We don't do it to non-EOD techs, so our low density guys are safe.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top