Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/11/2012 9:48:21 AM EDT
And I really like it.

I have a Patagonia soft shell that I have had for 3 years. My uncle is an old school badass climber, so he gets super deals on their stuff.

MSRP on my Patagonia is $350, my Condor was $90.

I like the Condor more.

This is not a tactical vest, plate holder, or drop bag that is going to see active duty use.  Its my everday coat and for snowboarding and shooting on cold days.

It fits perfect over my down inner, and seems to be manufactured very well.

Every aspect of the Condor shell meets if not exceeds the quality of my Patagonia.

I have heard people bitch that as soon as they wash it, its no longer waterproof?

Its a softshell, its waterproofing comes from a combination of the actual fabric, and a water repellent treatment.

You should never wash a softshell in normal detergent. There are special detergents and treatments that if used correctly, will maintain the waterproofing for years.

Long of the short, I prefer my $90 Condor to my $350 Patagonia, and my girl's $250 Northface.

We will see how it stands the test of time.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 9:51:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I've had mine for about a year now without any complaints, except for one. The little rubber velcro tabs to tighten the wrist come unglued and separate into 2 pieces. No big deal, but that happened after a couple months.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 9:52:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I haven't had the above problem, but after three years the edges of the cuffs are starting to wear on mine.  Need to reaply some waterproofing too.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 9:55:02 AM EDT
[#3]
In before the TADQueers, call you an airsoft homo.

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 9:57:47 AM EDT
[#4]
How does a soft shell compare to a hard shell? Durability and breathability?
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 10:00:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I like my $25 softshell from Marshalls.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 10:01:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I like my new fleece-lined TAD Stealth Hoodie and Ranger Hoodie.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 10:02:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Do you like the combination of breathability and water resistance?  

I sweat profusely so I absolutely must have a jacket with pit zips and good breathability for winter climbing and hiking.  So far no jacket has met my requirements.because they are either waterproof/windproof (which means they won't breathe at all) or lack pit zips (which are a big problem for me).

TIA!
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 10:03:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Hey, if it doesn't cost $500, then it's CRAP!  
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 10:04:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Great jacket at a great price.

Condor #602 jacket

Important note. They fit snugly and run one size smaller than you would normally wear,  so order accordingly.

If you are normally an XL, then order a XXL jacket.

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 10:04:36 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can't take it with you.

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 10:05:55 AM EDT
[#11]
A "Hardshell" is a gortex or similar material that is a 100% water and windproof.

Whereas a "Softshell" is not 100% waterproof, but very water resistant.

With my previous soft shells, water just beads off. However, if you sit in a torrential downpoor for like an hour, it starts to get wet.

A softshell will be more breathable, and malleable.  I find them warmer as well

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 10:06:03 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm the same; love my Condor Soft Shell (Coyote Tan) so much that Im looking for all Black or another tradional color, nonmilitary/tacticool variety.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 10:06:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I sweat profusely so I absolutely must have a jacket with pit zips and good breathability for winter climbing and hiking.  So far no jacket has met my requirements.because they are either waterproof/windproof (which means they won't breathe at all) or lack pit zips (which are a big problem for me).

I don't wear softshells because of this. Put one on, 5 minutes later I'm sweating like Mike Tyson at a spelling bee.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 10:06:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Love mine. I also managed to get it for 67.00 so doubly happy with it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 10:08:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I like my new fleece-lined TAD Stealth Hoodie and Ranger Hoodie.

And I like the last AR I built for about the same cost...  TAD stuff looks good, but I refuse to put out that much cash for clothing, especially when comparable stuff is a quarter the price.  No offense if you like it, just not my thing.

Breathability on the Condor is decent, pit-zips are great for a sweaty bastard like me.

As far as soft-shell vs. hard-shell, that's like apples vs. lemons, they're both kind of sour fruit, but...  Obviously the soft-shell breathes better, but the hard-shell will always be better rain and wind protection.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 10:11:26 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

TIA!

I don't wear softshells because of this. Put one on, 5 minutes later, I'm sweating like Mike Tyson at a spelling bee.

And that... is where the TAD steps onto the scene. Keeps the interior maintained at 68 degrees.  Plus you can smear peanut butter, red wine and honey all over it and it just falls off.

[Article]
Triple Aught Design released the
latest iteration of their Stealth Hoodie on Friday. For those that
already have a previous version, you may be wondering what more
improvement could be done. At first glance we thought it was just a high
end tweak. However, they have integrated some pretty nifty fabric
technology to adapt to changing body temperature.

The main addition is a membrane
layer utilizing c_change™schoeller technology as part of the 3 layer
material that allows moisture to permeate when internal temperatures
rise to 68 degrees Fahrenheit and evaporate. This provides a cooling
effect during strenuous activity.

The reverse scenario takes place when temperatures drop from this
threshold and body the membrane seals itself allowing for body heat to
be more effectively trapped. The membrane is also windproof to provide
additional protection. This combined with a thicker fleece provides for
advanced protection from cold weather.

They use of good textile science does not end there. Also in conjunction
with schoeller, they utilize a Nanosphere® finish on the fleece as well
as the outershell, which we have seen utilized on many soft shell
outerwear apparel. The treatment provides the textile with extreme
repellant properties for liquids as well as dirt, oils, etc. It is also
highly resistant to abrasion in order to maintain permanent effect.

[/Article]

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 10:14:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't wear softshells because of this. Put one on, 5 minutes later I'm sweating like Mike Tyson at a spelling bee.

The Condor jacket does have armpit zippers to release heat.

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 10:14:54 AM EDT
[#18]
I have read some great reviews for this, even from hardened gear queers.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 10:16:03 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wouldn't trust my life to any soft shell that didn't cost at least $870

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 10:16:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Condor jacket does have armpit zippers to release heat.

It's always my back that would sweat when wearing a softshell. Don't know why. It's the only type of clothing that does that to me.

Quoted:
And that... is where the TAD steps onto the scene.

Still not worth it to me for the money they charge. I'll just buy a different type of jacket and keep warm for 1/3 the price.

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 10:16:46 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I have read some great reviews for this, even from hardened gear queers.

Gear Queers?

So basically you're saying it's Nutnfancy approved?

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 10:20:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Yeah Condor is cool, I still want a TAD or Arc'Teryx though someday.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 10:26:21 AM EDT
[#23]
The condor has pit zips, and a back vent.  The back vent is really cool, because it's more of a pouch, and my gloves and fleece beanie fit right inside.

I too am a sweaty beast.  So having the vents is key.  I just like to layer, so I always have the option to take off a down layer, or a long undies layer underneath.

The TAD would be something i would love to have, IF I made $100k a year.

Another tacticool thing w/ the condor is all the pockets.  I love pockets.

Plus, my Harden the Fuck up, and infidel  patches looks good on the velcro areas on the shoulders
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 10:31:07 AM EDT
[#24]
OP your pics aren't loading.

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 10:34:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Ironically, when I was in San Francisco last year, the only people I saw wearing TAD gear were in fact queers... or at the very least hipsters... but sometimes it's very hard to tell the two apart...
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 10:34:32 AM EDT
[#26]
I had to google 'Softshell' in the context of a jacket.

Is this the new cool name for fleece?
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 10:37:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

LULZ
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 10:37:38 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Read the thread.

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 10:38:01 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ironically, when I was in San Francisco last year, the only people I saw wearing TAD gear were in fact queers... or at the very least hipsters... but sometimes it's very hard to tell the two apart...
Translation: "My annual income doesn't make me part of TAD's target audience... so it's gay."

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 10:40:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Its on my list of things to get. Is the outer material like a neoprene feel that stretches? My current has the fleece lining and this neoprene water resistant outer and i only hate that it does not have a hood. If the condor is similar Ill have to finally pick one up
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 10:42:27 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Ironically, when I was in San Francisco last year, the only people I saw wearing X gear were in fact queers...

You can say that about damn near anything.

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 10:45:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Seriously,  If i could drop $300-500 on a jacket as easy as it is for me to drop $90,

I would love a TAD, 5.11, or arceteryx (sp)

However, I really can't.

That is why, for me, it is exciting to find COMPARABLE quality from condor.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 10:45:44 AM EDT
[#33]
I have a couple I bought to try. The hooded and non-hooded version of the soft shell. They are okay, but I find them to be far too bulky and I never wear them. I layer using thinner thermal layers and prefer clothing with a very slim, athletic fit. Condor does not do that and I feel like the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man when I wear their jackets. If I had to choose only one, Arcteryx is the way to go IMO. Well worth the money and if you're a REI member, you get 10% of everything you spent that year at the beginning of next year. Seriously, you ACTUALLY get cash back, like an annual 10% rebate. It's fucking awesome.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 10:54:50 AM EDT
[#34]
How well does the Condor protect from the wind?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 10:55:31 AM EDT
[#35]
For those wanting pics-

Including Serpa, bring the hate.

Best I can find at work. The collar is huge 'cause the hood rolls up and goes inside.

ETA: heh... 3 gun...
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 10:58:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Condor is good enough for me.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 11:01:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Thank you optimus.  I have yet to take some action shots.

But now I want the brown one too!
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 11:02:19 AM EDT
[#38]
I've been on the fence for a black one, but I may just go Mountain Hardware since I want to be low profile anyway now that I'm allowed to cover my gun up.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 11:02:34 AM EDT
[#39]
My Condor has treated me well over the last year.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 11:02:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Dude, it's not a "jacket"... it's a tactical outerwear platform.  You just outed yourself as Tier 87.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 11:03:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

TIA!

My Tadgear (yes, I'm a Tadqueer, I guess...) Stealth Reloaded has pit zips and breathes nicely.

It's been beat down like a bad dog out of doors in all weather, and hasn't fallen apart yet, so I can tell you that they're well made.

They're not 90 dollars, though.

Google TADgear Stealth Hoodie

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 11:05:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

"Fleece" jackets are fuzzy inside and out, Softshells are smooth on the outside, usually fuzzy inside.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 11:09:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

TIA!

Have you tried an eVent shell with the pit zips? I find it to breathe a bit better than goretex. I don't have the sweating issue so I wear both but eVent may work better for you.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 11:13:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Fleece are also not water resistant.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 11:21:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I have a couple I bought to try. The hooded and non-hooded version of the soft shell. They are okay, but I find them to be far too bulky and I never wear them. I layer using thinner thermal layers and prefer clothing with a very slim, athletic fit. Condor does not do that and I feel like the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man when I wear their jackets. If I had to choose only one, Arcteryx is the way to go IMO. Well worth the money and if you're a REI member, you get 10% of everything you spent that year at the beginning of next year. Seriously, you ACTUALLY get cash back, like an annual 10% rebate. It's fucking awesome.

You don't carry do you? Bulky is a plus when you do.

The only complaint I had with mine was all the threads. It looked like everywhere they stopped a seam there was 1 or 2 inches of thread hanging. It took about 45 minutes with a pair of scissors and a bic lighter to get rid of all of them. Other than that, I'm happy with it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 11:40:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
How well does the Condor protect from the wind?

Thanks

I've been on the water on cold ass days doing 50+mph on a boat, no problems blocking wind.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 11:59:06 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Translation: "My annual income doesn't make me part of TAD's target audience... so it's gay."

I was in San Francisco for the RSA conference, I work in technology protection/information assurance/security research... i'm hardly part of the 99% as you can probably tell from my choice in firearms if you follow my posts...

I tried to buy a stealth hoodie, but this was during their website CC haxor fiasco, and when I finally got a hold of them on the phone, they had two sizes left... XS and XXS and both were "athletic fit"...

I even tried to stop by their "boutique" while out there to spend money, but they weren't open the couple times I was able to make it out that way...

it's not a money thing, but for $350, back in 09/10 I bought BOTH the condor softshell, an OR mithril jacket on sale, and still had $200 to spare...

oddly enough the condor is on its third season and still looks brand new, after the first season the tape seams on the OR started peeling and I have yet to take advantage of their lifetime guarantee
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 12:12:32 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude, it's not a "jacket"... it's a tactical outerwear platform.  You just outed yourself as Tier 87.

I've always been tier 87...

I once even thought that my car's finish was just that instead of a synthetic extreme duty surface coating.

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 12:12:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude, it's not a "jacket"... it's a tactical outerwear platform.

It's "contractor chic."
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 12:22:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't carry do you? Bulky is a plus when you do.

The only complaint I had with mine was all the threads. It looked like everywhere they stopped a seam there was 1 or 2 inches of thread hanging. It took about 45 minutes with a pair of scissors and a bic lighter to get rid of all of them. Other than that, I'm happy with it.

No carrying allowed here.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top