Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2012 8:03:15 PM EDT
I'm looking for a table top propane burner/stove for camping (in an RV, not roughing it).

Would like something with a pretty wide adjustment range, so i could do eggs in the morning and boil large quantities of water for corn on the cob etc.

1lb or 20lb propane bottles. doesn't matter.

was hoping for something like this-

But it gets horrible reviews.

Also had my eye on this

or this

but both are bigger than i'd like and seem like they would be gross over kill for eggs and such.

Also toying with buying a burner and making my own.  If i got that route, do I want high pressure or low pressure burner?

You guys got anything you'd recommend?

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 8:04:24 PM EDT
[#1]
None of the above.  Get a butane burner.

I have the Iwatani, cost $65 from Amamzon.  Fuel is inside the unit, like a spray paint can.

Here are the fuel cans:

These units are self contained, run just like a gas stove.  You can move them around with ease.  Really, nice, light weight, and heat control is excellent from a wisp of flame to enough to boil a couple gallons of water.  Run ful blast for an hour on one fuel can.

Turst me, these are sweet and the best way to go.  I am an RV'er and went to chef's school.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 8:06:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I think the "turkey fryer" type would be hard to cook eggs on
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 8:07:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

None of the above.  Get a butane burner.

could you elaborate as to why?  I'm already carting around a bunch of 1lb propane bottles for my lanterns, and there's 2 30lb'ers on the RV. so propane is what i already have to work with.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 8:07:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I picked up one of these this week from Ebay for $45 shipped.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 8:10:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I think the "turkey fryer" type would be hard to cook eggs on

That's what i assume as well.  I've never used one so i don't know how low you can go with the flame.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 8:14:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 8:15:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 8:31:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Why not just get a regular camp stove...

http://www.rei.com/product/723280/coleman-2-burner-stove

They are pretty much made for what you are doing and you can use a tank and the green cans so it is very portable and flexible for different situations.  I have a similar one and have used it for years and it has never hesitated.  I actually had to use it as my primary househols stove once when I was remodeling my kitchen and it took every pot the wife put on it no problem.
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 9:40:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the replies gentlemen.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top