Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2012 5:56:22 PM EDT
I took a quick and dirty compound bow "how to" class a couple weeks ago and got hooked.

I picked this guy up earlier today for $130 (used) and picked up a trigger doohicky for another $20.

ETA: Had the wife make me a paracord wrist strap

It's pretty damn accurate and fun to shoot. It's a little short for me, and too hard for the wife to pull back.

Any ideas on how to adjust any of that?

What the heck is the thing that sticks out of the front?

The biscuit whisker I got for it seems to make the arrow strike a lot lower, but it is adjustable up and down, I tried adjusting it and it didn't really change the POI...any thoughts there?

Thanks ahead of time guys!

Link Posted: 4/16/2012 6:05:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Take it to your local bow shop for adjustment as you'll need a press.  Have fun, its a great sport.
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 6:07:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah if you do not know that the doohickey is a octane stabilizer then you best have the limb weight adjusted by a professional before you walk the limbs out and have one fly off striking you in the head killing you.

These things happen.  Oh and welcome to the sickness,  HOYT VECTOR TURBO FTMFW!!!!

Try changing the Sight for POI change, almost you might have clearance problems with the fletchings hitting the whisker biscuit if you do not notice a change in impact while adjusting the arrow rest.
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 6:09:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Take it to your local bow shop for adjustment as you'll need a press.  Have fun, its a great sport.

And head to the archery forum! (plus, get ready for another very expensive hobby......fortunately, the ammo is reusable)

On of the big positives (as a 20 yr archer) if you can shoot a bow accurately, it will improve your firearm accuracy greatly (at least it did for me)

Link Posted: 4/16/2012 6:10:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one just like that, it was my first bow too.   I moved on to a PSE Omen now.

Link Posted: 4/16/2012 6:11:28 PM EDT
[#5]
The thing on the front is a stabilizer to make it balance a little better when you shoot. It looks like it has a noise damper on it, too.

It should say what its draw weight and length are somewhere on the bow. What brand is it?

Regarding adjustments, to change the draw length, you change a part on the cam. The weight can be adjusted by loosening the limb bolts on some bows.

Some makers don't allow a lot of adjustment for the draw weight. I can't tell what make it is. It's been a while.
I missed the Nova part in the title. You can't do much with the draw weight on PSE. They sell them in different weights and you're only supposed to loosen the limbs five turns out from fully seated. That's the way they make them.

Regarding the draw length and point of impact: how far back do you draw the bow? When you have the trigger strap wrapped around your wrist and you draw, where is your thumb in relation to your head?
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 6:11:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Bows are not one size fits all or even kind close works. It needs to be fitted to the shooter. The poundage is probably too high as most seem to think if it's not at its max draw weight it's useless. Go find a bow shop and make it right by talking with someone with knowledge.
Link Posted: 4/16/2012 6:12:25 PM EDT
[#7]
If you lighten the draw weight you are drawing the limbs out and you will have an increase in draw length.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top