Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2012 4:30:35 PM EDT
I've noticed a few folks on here like the stories behind these specific FAL rifles and some have asked about kits etc so i though I would at least post what I've been able to piece together. Normally this would go in the FAL section but I figured it would be more direct posting here.
What to look for:

Really on the Rhodesian parts kits you can find all sorts of rifles. Most are South African manufactured R1 rifles but you can find all sorts. I've even seen pics of inch pattern L1A1's. All Rhodesian parts kits will be either hand etched like the photo below or machine etched Serial Number usually with RA - Which stands for Rhodesia. You also come across some that start with a ZA which I've been told means either Zambia or Zimbabwe.

Another thing to look for is original factory stampings. Most of these had the stamps sanitized as Rhodesia was under a arms embargo. You will sometimes find them with Pretoria markings. They can be found on the bolt carrier, the barrel, the lower, and the butt stock.

The selector you can find two different types. The one below is a unmolested Selector. If you see it with the bill it's typically more uncommon.

The other ones are completely rounded.

The camo scheme can vary a lot but the dark poop brown is usually Zimbabwean. The camo paint from what I've seen on the Rhodesian ones they have more of a blue shade to the green. It's not always the case but most I've seen have this. The R1's also have either a wood butt stock or plastic. They also come in the more common long stock and the less common Nato style stock. The camo scheme if you want to match it Dupont makes two colors for auto paint which are a close match but what I've done it taken a original part with a lot of paint to Home Depot and they will match it pretty well. The bigger the original paint scheme on the part the better.

One thing to really remember on these kits is you won't find a mirror bore. These were road hard and put away wet. The one I got the bore was a good shooter and that is the best to expect.
Prices & Places to buy.

When these kits hit they were 100.00 and under but now they run from 300 to 500 for a really nice one but 300 to 400 is pretty standard.

Apex Gun Parts has pieces of the kits. Barrels etc https://www.apexgunparts.com/index.php/cPath/53_115

Apart from that Gunbroker you sometimes get lucky and I've heard Sarco still has parts but unless you get a individual selling one they are pretty hard to find these days.
Hope this helps some of you wanting one of these and if anyone wants to add in any missing info please do.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top