Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/15/2012 3:20:40 AM EDT
Last year I was asking what would be better Drop free (AR style) mags vs rock in mags for a SIG 553 rifle: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1209593_.html&page=1
Well a couple of weeks ago I got a deal on a barely used SIG 551 and jumped on it. While I may have preferred the version which uses AR mags I absolutely love the original, now it's here.

The picatinny rail is removable and the diopter sights are fixed . Safety is ambi and all controls are in a perfect place for a lefty like me.
The barrel is 14.3 inches including flash hider, and flash hider is about 1.5 inches long so it makes for a well balanced rifle.
Will pick up a B&T quadrail in the future and still need to decide on an optic.

Link Posted: 5/15/2012 3:47:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Sexy gun.  So it's an SBR or did I read that the wrong way?
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 3:47:19 AM EDT
[#2]
And here is the SIG with my Schmeisser AR15:

Link Posted: 5/15/2012 3:48:02 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Well SBR doesn't apply here (Malta), if it was in the USA then Yes it is.

My AR would be too, it is a 14.5 barrel, plus flash hider.

Link Posted: 5/15/2012 3:51:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn, I never even looked at your location.  I'm jealous!  Very nice rifles you have there.
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 3:53:40 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn, I never even looked at your location.  I'm jealous!  Very nice rifles you have there.

Thanks we have a couple of perks over here. Though still have to wait to shoot, the rifle range is under construction.

Link Posted: 5/15/2012 6:15:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Very, very nice!

My SIG 556 is one of the early JS-04XXX - serial numbered rifles made with mostly Swiss parts except for the stripped lower reciever which was American designed to accept M16 Mags. Swiss mags were scarce and very expensive at the time.  I understand that they are now much more available, lower in price and of higher quality than M-16 mags.

It crossed my mind to sell/trade my 556 for the new SIG551 now offered in the U.S., but my 556 has been so damn-near perfect that I don't think I would gain much with the 551 other than a really super-cool looking and more authentic version of the 500 series platform. (Besides being a costly trade).
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 6:25:32 AM EDT
[#7]

fucking import ban...

Link Posted: 5/15/2012 6:29:30 AM EDT
[#8]

You've chosen wisely....
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 6:34:07 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
fucking import ban...

fucking NFA

fucking GCA

Link Posted: 5/15/2012 6:44:24 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Very, very nice!

My SIG 556 is one of the early JS-04XXX - serial numbered rifles made with mostly Swiss parts except for the stripped lower reciever which was American designed to accept M16 Mags. Swiss mags were scarce and very expensive at the time.  I understand that they are now much more available, lower in price and of higher quality than M-16 mags.

It crossed my mind to sell/trade my 556 for the new SIG551 now offered in the U.S., but my 556 has been so damn-near perfect that I don't think I would gain much with the 551 other than a really super-cool looking and more authentic version of the 500 series platform. (Besides being a costly trade).

That was one of my considerations, sig mags are close to 3 times what and AR mag might be but they seem to be high quality. Since I have both now it's not really an issue any more and I'm glad I've got an original.

Link Posted: 5/15/2012 6:54:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Nice.
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 6:58:29 AM EDT
[#12]
That is very nice.  Unfortunately this is as close as we can get here.  Well unless you want to spend 10K-ish for an original. :(

Link Posted: 5/15/2012 7:04:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Malta????

Pics of hot females needed.
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 7:05:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Not impressed

Link Posted: 5/15/2012 7:10:19 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Not impressed

Of course you wouldn't be.

Link Posted: 5/15/2012 7:11:04 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Malta????
Pics of hot females needed.

Not a chance.

Link Posted: 5/15/2012 7:16:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Never even considered the laws in Malta.
Fine looking weapon though

Whats a quick and dirty run down of the firearms laws there look like?
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 7:17:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Gimme a sec and will post.

Posted this before:
Yes I live in Malta, we have some of the best laws for collecting and
sport shooting in Europe. Carrying guns for self defense even home
defense is a no go however. All guns must be registered and only
residents of Malta may obtain a license.

We have different types of license;

Collector A: which allows any firearm pre 1946; FA, short, beltfed,
artillery and only ten modern firearms under what would be allowed in a
Target shooter license A. The caveat is these guns cannot be shot and
are merely held as collectors items.

Target Shooter A: this allows the license holder to own, and use only at
a licensed range, 10 semiautomatic only firearms (rifles and pistols)
with a barrel length of not shorter than 10cm (goodbye baby glock 26)
and 5,000 rounds of ammo for only the caliber he owns. Guns must be kept
unloaded and under lock and key at all times with ammo separate in
another locked container.

This license covers Target shooting, IDPA, IPSC, steel challenge etc.

Target shooter B (Shotgun): this allows the license holder to own, and
use only at a licensed range, any smooth bore firearm (shotgun) with a
minimum barrel length of 20 inches, and keep 5,000 rounds of ammo. No
restriction on number of shotguns. Guns must be kept unloaded and under
lock and key at all times with ammo separate in another locked
container.

This license covers all clay disciplines, Trap, Skeet, and also practical shotgun.

Target Shooter B (airgun):
this allows the license holder to own, and use only at a licensed range, any airgun or air rifle for a sporting purpose.

Target shooter B (airsoft):
this allows the license holder to own, and use only at a licensed range, any airsoft gun for the sporting purpose or reenactment.

Hunting licenses are available for both birds (shotguns only mag
capacity restricted to 3 shells) and rabbits (air rifle only on your own
property).

To get any license you must first join a shooting club and meet their
requirements for their recommendation, without which the police won't
consider your application. A clubs requirements usually require you get a
certificate of clean conduct from the police, sit through an interview
and safety and weapons handling course.

Once you get your recommendation you apply to the police and then have
to pass a safety test which ensures you know the law and can safely
operate the type of firearm you will handle in your license.

This process usually takes 3-5 months.

Then everytime you purchase a firearm form a gun dealer here on the
island it must be transferred to you and you may not take possesion of
the firearm until you have paid for the transfer at the local police
station. This takes about 2-3 weeks from filing the application to
receiving notice that it has been approved.

Link Posted: 5/15/2012 7:21:45 AM EDT
[#19]
I had a real 551 too, great gun. I sort of made an SPR out of it. B&T parts are the best for the original.

Link Posted: 5/15/2012 7:24:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Posted this before:
Yes I live in Malta, we have some of the best laws for collecting and sport shooting in Europe. Carrying guns for self defense even home defense is a no go however. All guns must be registered and only residents of Malta may obtain a license.

Collector A: which allows any firearm pre 1946; FA, short, beltfed, artillery and only ten modern firearms under what would be allowed in a Target shooter license A. The caveat is these guns cannot be shot and are merely held as collectors items.

Target Shooter A: this allows the license holder to own, and use only at a licensed range, 10 semiautomatic only firearms (rifles and pistols) with a barrel length of not shorter than 10cm (goodbye baby glock 26) and 5,000 rounds of ammo for only the caliber he owns. Guns must be kept unloaded and under lock and key at all times with ammo separate in another locked container.

Target shooter B (Shotgun): this allows the license holder to own, and use only at a licensed range, any smooth bore firearm (shotgun) with a minimum barrel length of 20 inches, and keep 5,000 rounds of ammo. No restriction on number of shotguns. Guns must be kept unloaded and under lock and key at all times with ammo separate in another locked container.

This license covers all clay disciplines, Trap, Skeet, and also practical shotgun.

this allows the license holder to own, and use only at a licensed range, any airgun or air rifle for a sporting purpose.

this allows the license holder to own, and use only at a licensed range, any airsoft gun for the sporting purpose or reenactment.

Hunting licenses are available for both birds (shotguns only mag capacity restricted to 3 shells) and rabbits (air rifle only on your own property).

To get any license you must first join a shooting club and meet their requirements for their recommendation, without which the police won't consider your application. A clubs requirements usually require you get a certificate of clean conduct from the police, sit through an interview and safety and weapons handling course.

Once you get your recommendation you apply to the police and then have to pass a safety test which ensures you know the law and can safely operate the type of firearm you will handle in your license.

Then everytime you purchase a firearm form a gun dealer here on the island it must be transferred to you and you may not take possesion of the firearm until you have paid for the transfer at the local police station. This takes about 2-3 weeks from filing the application to receiving notice that it has been approved.

Wow, all things considered, those are not that bad at all by European standards.
Was looking at the wiki-article for Malta, the weather sounds abosultely amazing, combined with the land scape, it may be a future vacation spot
Looks like an absolutely beautiful country
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 7:25:02 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I had a real 551 too, great gun. I sort of made an SPR out of it. B&T parts are the best for the original.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/alizinat/100_3999.jpg

What kind of accuracy did you get out of it?

Might do that with mine.

Link Posted: 5/15/2012 7:28:20 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

That is very nice.  Unfortunately this is as close as we can get here.  Well unless you want to spend 10K-ish for an original. :(

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q93/jmftexas/DSC_0044.jpg

I bought a 551A1 too about a month back

not terribly impressed with it

hated my 556 SWAT so not sure why I bought this LOL

Link Posted: 5/15/2012 7:28:57 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Posted this before:

Yes I live in Malta, we have some of the best laws for collecting and sport shooting in Europe. Carrying guns for self defense even home defense is a no go however. All guns must be registered and only residents of Malta may obtain a license.

Collector A: which allows any firearm pre 1946; FA, short, beltfed, artillery and only ten modern firearms under what would be allowed in a Target shooter license A. The caveat is these guns cannot be shot and are merely held as collectors items.

Target Shooter A: this allows the license holder to own, and use only at a licensed range, 10 semiautomatic only firearms (rifles and pistols) with a barrel length of not shorter than 10cm (goodbye baby glock 26) and 5,000 rounds of ammo for only the caliber he owns. Guns must be kept unloaded and under lock and key at all times with ammo separate in another locked container.

Target shooter B (Shotgun): this allows the license holder to own, and use only at a licensed range, any smooth bore firearm (shotgun) with a minimum barrel length of 20 inches, and keep 5,000 rounds of ammo. No restriction on number of shotguns. Guns must be kept unloaded and under lock and key at all times with ammo separate in another locked container.

Hunting licenses are available for both birds (shotguns only mag capacity restricted to 3 shells) and rabbits (air rifle only on your own property).

To get any license you must first join a shooting club and meet their requirements for their recommendation, without which the police won't consider your application. A clubs requirements usually require you get a certificate of clean conduct from the police, sit through an interview and safety and weapons handling course.

Once you get your recommendation you apply to the police and then have to pass a safety test which ensures you know the law and can safely operate the type of firearm you will handle in your license.

Then everytime you purchase a firearm form a gun dealer here on the island it must be transferred to you and you may not take possesion of the firearm until you have paid for the transfer at the local police station. This takes about 2-3 weeks from filing the application to receiving notice that it has been approved.

Wow, all things considered, those are not that bad at all by European standards.

Was looking at the wiki-article for Malta, the weather sounds abosultely amazing, combined with the land scape, it may be a future vacation spot

We are statistically the safest place on earth with regard to weather, politics and economy. http://www.luxetravelreport.com/destinations/europe/80-malta-the-safest-place-on-earth.html

The place to stay is the Hilton at the Portomaso complex. It's expensive but it was also voted one of the best resorts in the world. If you like history, sun nightlife you'll enjoy it here.

http://www.hiltonmaltahotel.com/

Link Posted: 5/15/2012 7:31:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Posted this before:

We are statistically the safest place on earth with regard to weather, politics and economy. http://www.luxetravelreport.com/destinations/europe/80-malta-the-safest-place-on-earth.html

The place to stay is the Hilton at the Portomaso complex. It's expensive but it was also voted one of the best resorts in the world. If you like history, sun nightlife you'll enjoy it here.

Well hell, whats the job market like?
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 7:33:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I really just wanted an EBR that wasn't an AR or an AK and I had always liked the looks of the 55X rifles so I figured what the hell.
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 7:33:39 AM EDT
[#26]
so what would happen if someone broke into your house and you shot them,just curious
about your country's laws
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 7:35:54 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Posted this before:

Well hell, whats the job market like?

The Portomaso complex.

Well it is expensive here and getting residency is complicated and expensive but alot of shipping and investment firms are moving here. http://www.businessinsider.com/10-reasons-to-move-your-hedge-fund-to-malta-2012-1

http://www.financemalta.org/content.aspx?id=258860
Alot of Europes online gambling is operated from malta so if you are good with a computer that may be an option.

Link Posted: 5/15/2012 7:36:58 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

so what would happen if someone broke into your house and you shot them,just curious
about your country's laws

I would probably be royally fucked and charged for murder.

Link Posted: 5/15/2012 7:37:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 7:43:44 AM EDT
[#30]
,so no self defense allowed what are you suppose to do help them pack your shit out

and thank them
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 7:47:51 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

,so no self defense allowed what are you suppose to do help them pack your shit out

and thank them

Self defense is allowed, but don't use a gun.

The fact you shot the guy means you were either keeping the gun loaded (premeditated whatever) or you had time to load which means that you had other alternatives.

The burden is on you to prove you were in danger and had no option but to fight. That being said there was a case a short while back where an intruder was killed with a firearm and the home owner was acquitted, but he was still charged and put on trial in the meantime.

Link Posted: 5/15/2012 7:54:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:
and thank them

The fact you shot the guy means you were either keeping the gun loaded (premeditated whatever) or you had time to load which means that you had other alternatives.

The burden is on you to prove you were in danger and had no option but to fight. That being said there was a case a short while back where an intruder was killed with a firearm and the home owner was acquitted, but he was still charged and put on trial in the meantime.

What about something like a stun gun or a tazer?
Are there laws/regulations about owning/using one of those?
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 7:57:38 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

and thank them

Banned unless you are LE.  Malta is pretty safe muggings and violent encounters are pretty rare.

Link Posted: 5/15/2012 8:00:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
and thank them

Banned unless you are LE.  Malta is pretty safe muggings and violent encounters are pretty rare.

Well thats good news.
What would be allowable for defense inside your home?
Just punch/kick them enough so that they (hopefully) lose interest?
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 8:03:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 8:09:01 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

and thank them

Well thats good news.

What would be allowable for defense inside your home?

Just punch/kick them enough so that they (hopefully) lose interest?

As long as you can show there is no premeditation say using a knife, club the authorities would still investigate but there is no burden on you. The law sets out to restrict actions involving firearms, but the courts in practice are more understanding and if you are justified you are probably going to be ok.

Link Posted: 5/15/2012 8:17:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Pretty cool info, thanks for answering all of my questions
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 8:18:40 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Pretty cool info, thanks for answering all of my questions

No prob glad I could be of some help.

Link Posted: 5/15/2012 8:19:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Very nice!
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 9:04:21 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I really just wanted an EBR that wasn't an AR or an AK and I had always liked the looks of the 55X rifles so I figured what the hell.
Are your mags harder than hell to rock in ?

Mine take an alarming amount of force

Link Posted: 5/16/2012 1:28:05 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can't say for the US version but the mags are easy to rock in on the 551.

Link Posted: 5/16/2012 1:32:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Ok Malta goes on the list of places to move to when thing go down hill here.
Link Posted: 5/16/2012 1:34:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Does it have a happy switch?
Link Posted: 5/16/2012 1:39:50 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does it have a happy switch?

No full auto is prohibited for sporting licenses ie. the guns you can shoot. You can have full auto on collectible firearms with the proper license, which means anything pre 1946 but you can't fire them.

Link Posted: 5/16/2012 1:46:32 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Like when Gert Wilders becomes your Generalissimo and makes an alliance with MLP and sets out to invade Russia in the winter?

Link Posted: 5/16/2012 2:53:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/16/2012 6:35:31 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

No, they are actually fairly easy to get locked in.
Link Posted: 5/16/2012 12:15:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Like when Gert Wilders becomes your Generalissimo and makes an alliance with MLP and sets out to invade Russia in the winter?  

I'll be of to Malta when those Moos-limbs A-Rabs  invade then .

Geert Wilders is fundamentally a Dutch culture 'racist' (not the correct word but you get the idea) I have never seen his party judge anybody negatively based on their race/creed/decent is always in combination with the acceptance of Dutch culture, i.e. you subscribe to the Dutch values = Welcome, you reject Dutch values GTFO.

You must also take into account the effect that mass immigration has had on the makeup of Dutch society where in a short space of time non western immigrants rose from about 0 % to10% of the Dutch population. My own city of a about 1/2 million people now has a non Dutch majority, I'd like to see how Turkey would be able to deal with say in a time of 30 years a big city becoming majority Chinese or African.

Now personally I don't give two shits were somebody comes from but our recent immigrants have by enlarge not proved very freedom loving i.e. ban this because its offensive to some cultural sensitivity and ban knives cause my baby didn't do nuffin crowd. (It has to be said that Turks on the whole as a group mind their own business more than other groups although they do irritate me with the whole double parking all over the fucking place to have a talk with Ali and play some domino's thing ).

Link Posted: 5/16/2012 12:20:22 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll be of to Malta when those Moos-limbs A-Rabs  invade then .

Geert Wilders is fundamentally a Dutch culture 'racist' (not the correct word but you get the idea) I have never seen his party judge anybody negatively based on their race/creed/decent is always in combination with the acceptance of Dutch culture, i.e. you subscribe to the Dutch values = Welcome, you reject Dutch values GTFO.

You must also take into account the effect that mass immigration has had on the makeup of Dutch society where in a short space of time non western immigrants rose from about 0 % to10% of the Dutch population. My own city of a about 1/2 million people now has a non Dutch majority, I'd like to see how Turkey would be able to deal with say in a time of 30 years a big city becoming majority Chinese or African.

Now personally I don't give two shits were somebody comes from but our recent immigrants have by enlarge not proved very freedom loving i.e. ban this because its offensive to some cultural sensitivity and ban knives cause my baby didn't do nuffin crowd. (It has to be said that Turks on the whole as a group mind their own business more than other groups although they do irritate me with the whole double parking all over the fucking place to have a talk with Ali and play some domino's thing ).

We had the exact same thing with Turks/Kurds due to mass internal immigration. I know very well what that's like. It's an absolutely awful thing.

Link Posted: 5/16/2012 12:24:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:

fucking import ban...

fucking NFA

fucking GCA

fucking Hughes Amendment

fucking ATF
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top