Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 2:52:31 PM EDT
[#1]

Ouch. Glad no one got hurt, but that is going to be a costly mistake.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 2:53:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
One of the US navy's guided-missile destroyers suffered minor damage when it collided with an oil tanker early Sunday just outside the strategic Strait of Hormuz.

The collision left a gaping hole in the starboard side of USS Porter, but no one was injured on either vessel, the US navy said in a statement. The collision with the Panamanian-flagged bulk oil tanker M/V Otowasan occurred at approximately 1am local time.

The cause of the incident is under investigation, the navy said, adding that there were no reports of spills or leakages from either the USS Porter or the Otowasan.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2012/8/12/1344784449031/-USS-Porter-damaged-010.jpg
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/aug/12/navy-destroyer-uss-porter-damaged

Found another picture:
http://img.ksl.com/apimage/0fa86583-c6c3-4889-aa3f-58f9df3ea504.jpg?filter=ksl/pgallery

I don't know that I use the word "minor" in the same manner as this writer.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 2:56:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow...

CO: TOAST
OOD: TOAST
JOOD: TOAST
CICWO: TOAST

That's for starters...

"It's too close for a MoBoard. We'll just eyeball it..."
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 3:02:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The only sinking there are some careers.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Ohh yeah.

Not a career enhancer.

You must not have heard about the US Navy pilot who shot down a (friendly) USAF aircraft during an exercise, and just recently made Admiral.  

you forgot to mention ON PURPOSE.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 3:04:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

VHF channel 16 saying "Filipino Monkey" over and over and over and over

http://www.public.navy.mil/surflant/ddg78/PublishingImages/co.jpg

Maybe the bad guys finally got the filipino in question

Oh man...that is just bad!  

for the uninformed, the Filipino Monkey is an agent provateur who resides on the marine channel bridge to bridge channel sixteen.  He's been in the Gulf for decades stirring up shit on the radio.

Link Posted: 8/12/2012 3:13:49 PM EDT
[#6]
That is NOT minor damage.  Repairs will require time in a yard.  If the hull is warped, more work will be required.  The entire combat system will be checked to see if it is out of whack.  Combat systems alignment will be likely be required.  We don't know the facts, but barring some sort of unpredictable materiel failure, the CO, OOD, and possibly other watch personnel will be relieved.  If the XO/SWO were negligent in their training and record keeping, they're gone too.

If she was on BMDS patrol, deployment schedules just tanked and someone will deploy early.

My guess is that the CO/XO and most of the watch team is history.  If they were in fact transiting the Straights of Hormuz as reported and special sea detail was set, then they had many more people on watch and the CO was on the bridge (or damn welll should have been).  More heads will roll.  No facts...it is puzzling.

Link Posted: 8/12/2012 3:50:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Meanwhile, on the tanker

Link Posted: 8/12/2012 3:57:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

for the uninformed, the Filipino Monkey is an agent provateur who resides on the marine channel bridge to bridge channel sixteen.  He's been in the Gulf for decades stirring up shit on the radio.

thanks for clearing that up, I was a tad bit confused.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 3:59:14 PM EDT
[#9]
delete...looks like that skipper effed up bad.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 4:02:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My definition of "minor damage" differs from the article writer.

Was going to say the same thing, that's going to require dry dock downtime, which I wouldn't consider to be "minor".
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 4:20:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Need pictures of the other ship to comment.  1 am some LT JG is going to get fucked.

No, a CDR (as in O5 who will never see O6) is going to get fucked.

His name is Commander Martin F. Arriola.  The only good news for him today is that nobody was killed.

http://www.porter.navy.mil/

I think his new nickname is going to be Commander "Tyrone."

"I didn't see it there!"
"It's an oil tanker. Its not as though it's a packet of fucking peanuts now is it?"

it was at a funny angle......
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 4:22:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Has noone been able to locate his transmitter?

Would triangulation work?
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 4:32:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The navy gets realy touchy when anyone breaks the toys.

Even if the commander was correct in all HIS actions under the navigation rules, he is probably done for (as in career over).

Guess we were fortunate things were a bit different when Nimitz was cutting his teeth as a younger naval officer.

I've always wondered how many potentially brilliant and history-bound officers our country has missed out on because the Navy is fixated on crucifying somebody every time this happens.
Damn the Torpedoes!  Full Speed Ahead!

Link Posted: 8/12/2012 4:34:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The only sinking there are some careers.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Ohh yeah.

Not a career enhancer.

You must not have heard about the US Navy pilot who shot down a (friendly) USAF aircraft during an exercise, and just recently made Admiral.  
The naval aircraft was not damaged.

Link Posted: 8/12/2012 4:38:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 5:21:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 8/12/2012 5:33:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Ha!...just checked the Porter webpage.  I served with their XO.  

....can't say I'm surprised at the outcome, unfortunately.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 5:45:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Why does the ship appear to be in such terrible shape aside from the giant gash?

I was going to ask this....

It might have something to do with all that wet, salty stuff it's sailing around in. You realize it's at sea, right?  Not tied up to a pier in a navy base.

Understood, but that's a significant amount of degradation for a few months of exposure for something that should have a fairly salt resistant coating.

That is not a lot of rust for marine exposure. It probably rusted before it even cleared the docks.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 5:58:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Humm,

Maybe the the Japs don't like the Porter family name,

USS William D. Porter (DD-579)

Involved in radar picket work on 10 June 1945, she was attacked by a Japanese "Kamikaze" plane. Though the aircraft only managed a near-miss, its bomb apparently passed under the ship before exploding. The resulting serious underwater damage led to flooding that could not be controlled. After three hours of damage control efforts, USS William D. Porter capsized to starboard and sank, fortunately without losing any of her crew.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 5:58:15 PM EDT
[#20]
dont know if its been answered or not but how did a non US ship get so close in one piece?
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 7:16:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep.  Same with the Cole, same with flying a plane into the Pentagon.  Shift change?  coffee break?  Smoke a little MJ?  Butt-fucking the galley boy?  Some people make too much money to pay attention.

ETA:  I feel dumber after reading that.

At the time of the Stark, some of us junior officers could just picture the TAO chewing out someone in CIC over a daily work matter while the guy on the scope was trying to tell him about the contact.

Ever see "The Caine Mutiny" when they ran over the tow cable? I think a lot of us who have been in have seen moments of inattention like that.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
(As Baltar gloats over the critical damaging of the Galactica, his pilot tries to alert him to the Pegasus. "Not now, you idiot. I don't want to miss a moment of the destruction of the last Battlestar."
"Sir, I really think you ought to look at the other battlestar.", (w,stte), BSG (classic), "The Living Legend")
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 7:43:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep.  Same with the Cole, same with flying a plane into the Pentagon.  Shift change?  coffee break?  Smoke a little MJ?  Butt-fucking the galley boy?  Some people make too much money to pay attention.

At the time of the Stark, some of us junior officers could just picture the TAO chewing out someone in CIC over a daily work matter while the guy on the scope was trying to tell him about the contact.

Ever see "The Caine Mutiny" when they ran over the tow cable? I think a lot of us who have been in have seen moments of inattention like that.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
(As Baltar gloats over the critical damaging of the Galactica, his pilot tries to alert him to the Pegasus. "Not now, you idiot. I don't want to miss a moment of the destruction of the last Battlestar."
"Sir, I really think you ought to look at the other battlestar.", (w,stte), BSG (classic), "The Living Legend")

Understood, I'm a sailor as well and have seen similar lapses of attention.

However, my point was that to compare this incident (which we know almost nothing about) to the attack on the USS Cole and the Pentagon being struck on 9/11 and to say that they are all the results of "smoking a little MJ", "butt-fucking the galley boy", or "making too much money to pay attention" is as insane as it is insulting and disrespectful.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 7:54:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Why does the ship appear to be in such terrible shape aside from the giant gash?

I'm glad I'm not the only person wondering that!
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 8:01:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm glad I'm not the only person wondering that!

That's not terrible shape,excluding her new window, it's just what happens to ships when they are at sea.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 8:07:17 PM EDT
[#25]
skipper fucked up. the tanker was the stand on vessel, it cliped the starboard bow of the destroyer. Skipper of the destroyer should have gave way- USCG rule 17.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 8:14:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
How did a non-US ship get so close without being fired upon??

Oh, God! How can you think that?

We're not at war!

We didn't fire on Soviet Victor K-314 during the Cold War and we don't fire on other ships just because they get too close.

Further, I have never been in those Straits but I have been in the Straits of Messina and Gibraltar. To say the latter is packed is a vast understatement. Picture your worst rush hour where everything is constantly moving. In Messina, I've seen ferries dash between the lands infront of a carrier task force transistioning. They don't care, I would suppose, of that risk; they just want to maintain their schedule.

Strait traveling in busy water ways is extremely mentally tasking at the very least and, as an OOD once called down on the loud speaker to sail boaters passing infront of the bow as we tried to make it to sea, it will take hundreds of feet to stop or turn a ship with any momentum on it..

Tell that to the Army or USMC.

Link Posted: 8/12/2012 8:16:17 PM EDT
[#27]
TIL, captains lose command when they crash a ship, ships rust in salt water, and there is a monkey on the radio in the gulf talking shit to boats.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 8:24:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I went through Straits of Hormuez 8 times, Suez twice, and Panama Canal 4 times. The Straits were by far the most stressfull transit.

Yeah, I dont like being scanned by land based missle sites....fucking basterds, we were hauling ass at 20 plus knots through.

nothing gets your attention like that tone over the headset.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 8:27:25 PM EDT
[#29]
I spent two years on the USS Midway.
I never saw my ship in as piss poor a shape as that destroyer.
The condition of the ship points to a lack of leadership on many levels, IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 8:29:53 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Has noone been able to locate his transmitter?

Would triangulation work?
Listening to the furor on Ch. 16 when the Filipino Monkey is pressing everyone's buttons is basically comic relief for the mid-watch.  

Link Posted: 8/12/2012 9:13:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I spent two years on the USS Midway.
I never saw my ship in as piss poor a shape as that destroyer.
The condition of the ship points to a lack of leadership on many levels, IMHO.

Damn EPA banned the good stuff.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 9:20:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Damn.  At this rate Dport is going to be an Admiral.  

Link Posted: 8/12/2012 9:29:26 PM EDT
[#33]
*Crash*
its apparent a collision has occured

CO"Holy shit lets get out of here"

Drunken weekend shenanningans ensue, but rather then a riced out civic its a Destroyer doing the hit and run
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 9:33:10 PM EDT
[#34]

Oh hell, Hay you scratched my anchor.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 9:56:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Understood, I'm a sailor as well and have seen similar lapses of attention.

However, my point was that to compare this incident (which we know almost nothing about) to the attack on the USS Cole and the Pentagon being struck on 9/11 and to say that they are all the results of "smoking a little MJ", "butt-fucking the galley boy", or "making too much money to pay attention" is as insane as it is insulting and disrespectful.

Yeah.....that part was a little confusing to me, too.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, God! How can you think that?

We're not at war!

We didn't fire on Soviet Victor K-314 during the Cold War and we don't fire on other ships just because they get too close.

Further, I have never been in those Straits but I have been in the Straits of Messina and Gibraltar. To say the latter is packed is a vast understatement. Picture your worst rush hour where everything is constantly moving. In Messina, I've seen ferries dash between the lands infront of a carrier task force transistioning. They don't care, I would suppose, of that risk; they just want to maintain their schedule.

Strait traveling in busy water ways is extremely mentally tasking at the very least and, as an OOD once called down on the loud speaker to sail boaters passing infront of the bow as we tried to make it to sea, it will take hundreds of feet to stop or turn a ship with any momentum on it..

Tell that to the Army or USMC.

OKAY, I will. WE ARE NOT AT WAR.

But to cause an international incident that could lead to war just because someone mis id's every ship as an enemy is far more serious than a collision.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
("Torpedoes closing, Sir! What are your orders?" and as the Captain realizes that by causing the accidental launch, sinking of a Soviet sub, it is far better if there is no one around to explain what happened, (w,stte), "The Bedford Incident")
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 10:10:00 PM EDT
[#36]
How many collisions have there been in the SOH, not just naval ships, but all civilian vessels?

I tried doing a search but came up empty.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 10:13:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
skipper fucked up. the tanker was the stand on vessel, it cliped the starboard bow of the destroyer. Skipper of the destroyer should have gave way- USCG rule 17.

Thats not just a USCG rule, thats the international Rules of the Road, the bible for the professional mariner.

Ill second that. I drive boats for a living and thats the first thing I though. The DDG didnt give way. Thats ok, Norshipco has room for it when it gets back to Norfolk for repairs.

And the pic of Rodney saying "You scratched my anchor!" isnt far from the truth, that tanker probably has minimal damage. The Navy doesnt build them as strong as they did back in the day.

Link Posted: 8/12/2012 10:37:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats not just a USCG rule, thats the international Rules of the Road, the bible for the professional mariner.

Ill second that. I drive boats for a living and thats the first thing I though. The DDG didnt give way. Thats ok, Norshipco has room for it when it gets back to Norfolk for repairs.

And the pic of Rodney saying "You scratched my anchor!" isnt far from the truth, that tanker probably has minimal damage. The Navy doesnt build them as strong as they did back in the day.

I recall that being mentioned as a rule of the road in my Intro to Marine Transportation class.  I think it was referred to as the law of gross tonnage, which I always found amusing, but big ships don't stop and a dime and if it's a big ship and a small one (or a boat), the smaller vessel is going to lose or at least get the worse of it.

I do recall some of the guys with Master's licenses cracking jokes about the ship handling skills of naval officers.  I found that a bit disconcerting.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 10:46:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Let's face it. Texting while driving kills.

It's good to hear none of our guys got hurt.

Link Posted: 8/12/2012 10:50:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/13/2012 2:37:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well the front didn't fall off..
Link Posted: 8/13/2012 2:47:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well the front didn't fall off..

if it did we would have this headline Japs sink first us warship since WW2.

Link Posted: 8/13/2012 3:13:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Anyone else willing to bet the ensuing investigation will reveal a culture of inattention to detail, bad command climate, poor training, pencil-whipping reports, etc.?
Link Posted: 8/13/2012 3:35:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
dont know if its been answered or not but how did a non US ship get so close in one piece?
A 2 mile wide navigable stretch with no pilot

Link Posted: 8/13/2012 3:39:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

thanks for clearing that up, I was a tad bit confused.
I would not put it past the bad guys to single out crew (not in this case)

Link Posted: 8/13/2012 3:44:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am wondering that myself. Was everybody on the bridge asleep? Someone had to be watching the radar...or not. At least our sailors get to come home in one piece.

My guess is having sex or sleeping.

A 250 yard long tanker just doesn't 'pop up' on radar.

And those ships aren't exactly traveling at high velocity.

But what the hell do I know- i was in the Army.  

Link Posted: 8/13/2012 4:02:03 AM EDT
[#47]

Link Posted: 8/13/2012 4:07:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am wondering that myself. Was everybody on the bridge asleep? Someone had to be watching the radar...or not. At least our sailors get to come home in one piece.

My guess is having sex or sleeping.

A 250 yard long tanker just doesn't 'pop up' on radar.

And those ships aren't exactly traveling at high velocity.

But what the hell do I know- i was in the Army.  

You'd be very surprised. I was an OS, basically I operated RADAR in the Navy. My entire naval career was spent mainly in the Persian Gulf. The combination of hot air coming off the sands and rolling over the cooler waters and fine dust particles in the air does funny things to one's RADAR picture. It's not at all uncommon to get ghost returns or have ships suddenly appear well within your detection range.

It's been a couple of decades since I went thru the Straits of Hormuz but if I remember correctly 20 knots was pretty standard. To put that another way in 3 minutes that tanker will travel one mile and on a fully loaded tanker it may take as many as 5 or 6 miles for it to come to a complete stop or turn around; they don't exactly turn on a dime. In addition the USS Porter was the give way vessel so it was the responsibility of the Porter to get out of the way.

Link Posted: 8/13/2012 4:16:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Anyone else willing to bet the ensuing investigation will reveal a culture of inattention to detail, bad command climate, poor training, pencil-whipping reports, etc.?

Maybe yes, maybe no. Let's look at some famous collisions, naval and not.

K-314 and the Kitty Hawk: nutshell speaking, "war games", the carrier Captain probably could not be faulted......it might have made a believer out of the Soviet Captain.

Frank E. Evans and the Melbourne: Bad watch standing by the bridge but also, the bridge caused CIC to "shut up" by not taking their recommendations and not saying why they weren't. Ie, "Why bother to tell them? They aren't going to listen to us.".

Stockholm and Andrea Doria: one of the theories is the the Stockholm's bridge misread the radar, potentially leading them to believe that the Doria was a lot further out than what it actually was.

Blackthorn and Capricorn: failure to keep to well to their side of the channel, failure to determine intention of the other, inexperience of the Coast Guard officer.

Voyager and the Melbourne: misjudged their position to the carrier

Esso Brussels and Seawitch: loss of steering on latter vessel

George Washington and Nissho Maru: wrong place at the wrong time (the sub surfaced under the cargo ship and sank it)

Venpet-Venoil (sister VLCC's): Low visibility and lack of communication between ships

Belknap and the Kennedy: poor bridge/CIC operations

Hobson and the Wasp: reading the report, it looks like the conning officer became confused at the last critical moment

Jason and the Williamette: failure of Captains to properally handle their ships and recognize the situation, failure to use CIC

Destroyer Kincaid and M/V Kota Petani: bad bridge watch section, bad procedures (anyone know if this was the one where a supply officer had the conn?)

So, generally, yes but seeing how ships are controlled by people, it is very rarely that the accident can be attributed to just the ship.

Got lots of time? Plenty of interesting reading here on just what happened in various mishaps.
________________________________________________________________________________
(Picture of the Kitty Hawk when there is a CRUNCH down by the bow. On the Kitty Hawk's bridge, "OOPS!" and down by the bow "OOPSKI!", (w,stte), editoral cartton of the time))
Link Posted: 8/13/2012 4:21:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Three years ago, The USS Hartford, a nuclear-powered submarine based in Groton, Conn., collided in the Strait with the USS New Orleans, a San Diego-based amphibious ship.

The New Orleans' fuel tank was ruptured and 15 sailors on the Hartford sustained minor injuries. The collision caused $2.3 million in damage to the New Orleans, and the cost so far of repairs to the Hartford is $102.6 million.

The commanding officer was relieved of his duties and the sub's chief of the boat, an adviser to the commanding officer, was reassigned. Several crew members were punished.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top