Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2012 10:00:59 AM EDT
Worth it on a new set of light truck tires? Or is it BS?
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 10:04:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Usually helps with mudder style tires that have huge solid lugs and cleats. But with a light truck tire, aren't they already siped like mofos? Are you looking to add additional traction in wet slippery conditions or create a poor mans hi-po tire?
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 10:07:54 AM EDT
[#2]
It's a gimmick- don't bother.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 11:32:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 11:35:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Only if they do custom designs!
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 11:45:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Stupid idea. Who do you think knows better about tire performance, Joe-Bob at the tire shop or the billion dollar tire company.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 11:48:41 AM EDT
[#6]
It is only worth doing on a 4x4 play truck,jeep or tube buggy not worth time or effort for everyday street tires...
This was a Interco TSL Bogger

Or a set of Interco Super Swampers

You can get BFG Krawlers that are "blanks" and do your own design the left is how it arrives to you
and the right is after custom cutting.

Link Posted: 9/6/2012 11:51:48 AM EDT
[#7]
It really depends on the tire. Mud tires it helps in many ways it cools the large lugs better when going down the road (makes them last longer), it also adds to traction on ice and snow. The negatives are if done improperly they can cause problems, also they could cause the lugs to chunk out if you rock climb at all, usually the benefits in traction out weigh the negatives. This info really only applies to mud tires or tires with large lugs. Otherwise all light truck all season, and all terrain are usally already heavily siped and therefore adding more could be counter productive. Information on the tires you are asking about would help. This is kind of pointless thread without more information
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 3:58:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Not on the smaller tires. There's already so much present and they test the behaviors pretty rigorously so anything you add is negligible.

big tires with big lugs can benefit in water removal. Same with when the hard edges of a luggy tire round off. Siping makes a surprising difference at that point.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 4:07:32 PM EDT
[#9]
So this is like cutting rain tires with a tire iron at a road race
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 4:26:21 PM EDT
[#10]
my God.  the white version of spinners.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 4:30:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Tire sales guy tried to get me to have them sipe a set of tires I bought ...  damn, nearly 15 years ago.

I asked if it voided the warranty.

Yes, it does.

No thanks.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 4:58:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I decided against it and didnt do it. My last set of tires seemed like they wore alot faster then they should have. Hopefully these last a little longer, with #2 on the   way pennies need to be pinched and stretched.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 5:03:52 PM EDT
[#13]
The small thin sipes on snowtires make all the difference in the world. Rock climbing, I have no idea.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 5:09:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 4:28:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
seems like that could really fuck up the balance on a tire.

Without removing material from the tread, how could it affect balance?

ETA:  The siping I've seen was nothing more than knife cuts across the tread.  Done by a machine, about every quarter inch or so.
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 7:12:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 8:04:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
seems like that could really fuck up the balance on a tire.

Without removing material from the tread, how could it affect balance?

ETA:  The siping I've seen was nothing more than knife cuts across the tread.  Done by a machine, about every quarter inch or so.

http://www.rockcrawler.com/techreports/bfg_krawler/preview/550/3stepstoGIJOE.jpg

thats a bit more than knife cuts on those those.  i really have no idea, know nothing about the process. for a mudder it likely wouldn't make any difference anyway as the speeds wouldn't be enough to notice, especially on rough terrain.

THAT is tire grooving, not siping.  Two completely different things.  Siping street tires involves no rubber removal, only knife cuts as mentioned above.
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 10:27:55 AM EDT
[#18]
on ice siping is the only way to go
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top