Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2012 8:15:25 AM EDT
So it just aired the premiere the other night. It looks interesting, although I have a feeling its very scripted. The concept is 5 Amsih youth want to leave and go to to NYC to explore life, but they will be shunned if they ever decide to return home.

One of the girls, wants to be a model, she is pretty hot too.... ARFCOM Safe Photo:

Link Posted: 9/11/2012 8:27:57 AM EDT
[#1]
There are a few Amish shows on TV right now; IIRC MTV did a Real World series with some Amish youth maybe about 10-12 years ago.

That one dude who helps Amish kids leave the church has like 2 shows of his own in addition to having been in several specials/documentaries. Looks like he found his own career in the English world

Speed

Link Posted: 9/11/2012 8:36:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I thought that the Amish had this as a rite of passage where teenagers were encouraged to take some time to live a normal life and then decide if they want to return to the Amish life. I heard about it on NPR.
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 8:37:38 AM EDT
[#3]
RUMSPRINGA!! WOOOOOOO!!!
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 8:39:01 AM EDT
[#4]
The have what is called Rumspringa (sp?) that is done before they become baptised in their church. Go and experience english life with no real reprocussions.
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 8:39:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I thought that the Amish had this as a rite of passage where teenagers were encouraged to take some time to live a normal life and then decide if they want to return to the Amish life. I heard about it on NPR.

Rumspringa! Wooo!

I mean umm, yeah it's a real thing.

ETA: Damn, I was too slow.
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 8:44:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Do the Amish cook meth?
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 8:46:43 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Do the Amish cook meth?

Yes, but never with electricity.

Link Posted: 9/11/2012 8:46:49 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

There are a few Amish shows on TV right now; IIRC MTV did a Real World series with some Amish youth maybe about 10-12 years ago.

That one dude who helps Amish kids leave the church has like 2 shows of his own in addition to having been in several specials/documentaries. Looks like he found his own career in the English world

Speed

I've seen a few shows and docs on the subject...

Tell ya what, them people do not make for interesting TV.

Link Posted: 9/11/2012 8:50:26 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rumspringa! Wooo!

Dick move on their part, I'd say. Those kids know nothing about life and you just send them out as a teen into the world. Of course it (generally) eats them alive, at best they come home with a bad case of sensory overload.

Link Posted: 9/11/2012 8:56:58 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Speed

I've seen a few shows and docs on the subject...

Tell ya what, them people do not make for interesting TV.

I buy off Amish for my business. The owner of the Amish company I deal with is from an Amish community in NE Ohio. When I first started buying off him, he had that peculiar "slight accent" that just didn't sound quite right sometimes. He's been living in TN closer to his factory now and the few times I've talked to him more recently, he just sounds completely southern

No real point in that post, but i thought it was odd how quickly he lost his Amish accent

Speed

Link Posted: 9/11/2012 9:05:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

They do.

I've always heard that they basically go crazy while they're out in the world. Drugs, sex, parties, crime, etc. But apparently the vast majority of them return home once it's over. The rate of Amish teens that leave is tiny.
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 9:05:45 AM EDT
[#12]
I now live in Holmes County, Ohio and supposedly it has the largest population of Amish in the US.  They are everywhere and there are like 5 different kinds of Amish around here from Old Order to New Order to what is called "Sunday School Amish" and a couple of others I can't remember.

It is an interesting community and culture around here.  I really like it.  Nobody locks their doors in our town and the Wal Mart after 9 o'clock is like some kind of Amish gathering/wagon/buggy/shopping party.  The WalMart parking lot has a whole stable built on one side of the lot for the buggys and horses to tie up to so they can come in a shop.

The other night, my 15 year old son were doing some late night WalMarting and there was a bunch of Amish teenage boys gathered around the xbox display playing some first person shooter game.  They were really going at it.  My son started laughing and said, "You really moved us to a strange place dad."  I agree.

Patrick
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 9:09:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Rumspringa! Wooo!

Dick move on their part, I'd say. Those kids know nothing about life and you just send them out as a teen into the world. Of course it (generally) eats them alive, at best they come home with a bad case of sensory overload.

I've known Amish kids on Rumspringa that handled being a late teen better than the "English" ones do, and then there are the ones that get brain blown as soon as they realize they can do anything they damn well please, most of them come somewhere between the two extremes. So basically pretty much like all my friends from High School when they graduated and got out of their parents' house. All depends on the kid, the sect and the location. I'm from PA, and not a whole lot of the "English World" is a mystery to these guys (or to the ones in Ohio that I know) but to Amish in Iowa or Montana it's possibly a different story.
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 9:15:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, several years ago there was a show where some Amish kids on Rumspringa lived in LA with their non-Amish counterparts (kids the same age).

I recall watching it. My GF at the time and I were abhorred by how petty and immature the 'regular' kids were compared to the Amish.

There was one Amish guy on that show. He was slightly older than the rest and was kind of the leader of the Amish kids. He was  a whiz with contraptions, mechanical toys, and the like. It really was amazing. He was in training to become a minister and eventual Amish leader.

Fast forward ten years or so. I come across a Nat Geo show and low and behold, it's the same guy! He left the Amish and began helping others leave if they wanted to. Had a construction company and halfway house of sorts. Got them used to living in the world and making the transition. His name is Moze I believe (think it is short for Moses).

ETA: The show was Amish In the City and it aired in 2004. The guy's name is Mose Gingrich. I guess I was so amazed because during the show he was the one who seemed adamant that he was going back to the lifestyle.
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 9:19:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
RUMSPRINGA!! WOOOOOOO!!!

Link Posted: 9/11/2012 9:24:05 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I now live in Holmes County, Ohio and supposedly it has the largest population of Amish in the US.  They are everywhere and there are like 5 different kinds of Amish around here from Old Order to New Order to what is called "Sunday School Amish" and a couple of others I can't remember.

It is an interesting community and culture around here.  I really like it.  Nobody locks their doors in our town and the Wal Mart after 9 o'clock is like some kind of Amish gathering/wagon/buggy/shopping party.  The WalMart parking lot has a whole stable built on one side of the lot for the buggys and horses to tie up to so they can come in a shop.

The other night, my 15 year old son were doing some late night WalMarting and there was a bunch of Amish teenage boys gathered around the xbox display playing some first person shooter game.  They were really going at it.  My son started laughing and said, "You really moved us to a strange place dad."  I agree.

Patrick

My wife and I love to spend time in Holmes county. We stay at B &Bs there and do our furniture shopping in that area. Have you been to the gun shop (Miller's I think). I haven't yet but I am curious about the place.

Link Posted: 9/11/2012 9:27:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Rumspringa! Wooo!

I was discussing that with my brother in law a while back. Considering the young age when this happens, age and restrictions on what they can and can't do probably contribute a lot to the high return rate. If they did it at 21-25, when they can legally do anything that anyone else can do, and the return home rate would probably be a lot lower.
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 9:30:21 AM EDT
[#18]
I saw a pretty crazy show/story about an Amish kid leaving with some one handed old washed up bowling star because the Amish kid was a natural bowler and the old guy wanted to be his manager basically
The old bowler looked just like Woody Harrelson too.
here's where he's trying to win the kids family over:

ETA:

To make this post actually relevant to the thread, I havent' seen Breaking Amish, but I did see the recent one with "Moze" helping people leave the Amish. He seemed to be a good guy. I never saw (but wondered) what ended up happening with the english girl he was helping get INTO the Amish.

Link Posted: 9/11/2012 10:21:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

ETA:
To make this post actually relevant to the thread, I havent' seen Breaking Amish, but I did see the recent one with "Moze" helping people leave the Amish. He seemed to be a good guy. I never saw (but wondered) what ended up happening with the english girl he was helping get INTO the Amish.

I want to say she didnt due to having to break contact with her only family member she had
felt bad for the girl, sad story just wanting to have a real sense of family
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 3:37:35 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA:

I want to say she didnt due to having to break contact with her only family member she had

felt bad for the girl, sad story just wanting to have a real sense of family

yeah, she defintely seemed to be searching for a different family to feel a part of, that seemed genuine, but I wasn't' so sure about her ability to commit to giving up the modern English "stuffs" forever.

Link Posted: 9/11/2012 6:53:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Patrick

My wife and I love to spend time in Holmes county. We stay at B &Bs there and do our furniture shopping in that area. Have you been to the gun shop (Miller's I think). I haven't yet but I am curious about the place.  

We just got here in Millersburg a month ago.  Been to Berlin a couple of times.  Haven't even heard of the gunshop.  Will look into it!
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 6:57:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Patrick

We just got here in Millersburg a month ago.  Been to Berlin a couple of times.  Haven't even heard of the gunshop.  Will look into it!

Is that the one in Sugarcreek??  If so I have heard of it, but never really looked for it when I was out there.  I've been there a bunch of times, not sure why i never went to it.

As far as the wal-mart with the stable, been to it a ton of times too, it is a real strange place
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 7:04:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
RUMSPRINGA!! WOOOOOOO!!!

Good movie!    
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 7:08:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Rumspringa! Wooo!

I've known Amish kids on Rumspringa that handled being a late teen better than the "English" ones do, and then there are the ones that get brain blown as soon as they realize they can do anything they damn well please, most of them come somewhere between the two extremes. So basically pretty much like all my friends from High School when they graduated and got out of their parents' house. All depends on the kid, the sect and the location. I'm from PA, and not a whole lot of the "English World" is a mystery to these guys (or to the ones in Ohio that I know) but to Amish in Iowa or Montana it's possibly a different story.

Did they discover sarcasm? And buttfucking?  
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 7:14:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Rumspringa! Wooo!

Did they discover sarcasm? And buttfucking?  

Nah but I heard stories about how they sarcastically unfucked a GTO this one time...

Link Posted: 9/11/2012 7:15:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
RUMSPRINGA!! WOOOOOOO!!!

Good movie!    

Ezekiel: No, I wouldn't know anything about your 69' GTO Judge, 455 Big Block, Ram-Air, 4.11 Posi... Somethin' like that? Weird... That thing must have fallen straight from space! Well, good luck with your future ride, spaceman!
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 7:19:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Do the Amish cook meth?

Yes, but never with electricity.  

A pretty wit!

Link Posted: 9/11/2012 7:19:51 PM EDT
[#28]
We've got a few in my part of the state, but nothing like what it is up in NE Ohio.

All the Amish I know are great people, most like guns and are generally salt-of-the-earth types.

The problem I have with this show is the fact it's not dealing with rumspringa (sp) but kids who want to leave the Amish as adults, after they've been baptized into the church. This means they went on their rumspringa and either didn't really get involved in English life, or immediately got baptized. This is almost certain-death for the people because they're adults now and have no understanding of modern life.

Link Posted: 9/11/2012 7:23:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
RUMSPRINGA!! WOOOOOOO!!!

Good movie!    

Ezekiel: No, I wouldn't know anything about your 69' GTO Judge, 455 Big Block, Ram-Air, 4.11 Posi... Somethin' like that? Weird... That thing must have fallen straight from space! Well, good luck with your future ride, spaceman!

It smells like Halloween!

Ever heard of a rolling brownout?

So many good one-liners. In that respect it's on par with Super Troopers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top