Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Link Posted: 9/18/2012 10:38:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice pics.
Link Posted: 9/18/2012 10:42:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I go to Antietam about twice a year while visiting my parents. It's the most powerful civil war battlefield I've ever been to. It's very well preserved compared to other battlefields.
Link Posted: 9/18/2012 10:44:13 PM EDT
[#3]
ive walked bloody lane and burnside bridge. very eerie being there

Link Posted: 9/19/2012 1:20:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The trenches are still there near the bridge. Hard to see under the tall grass, but still there. I went in one of them about 12 yrs ago,... very creepy !!!

ETA - Over the past 3-4 decades, I've been to many Revolutionary War & Civil War battlefields and none have stood out (to me) quite like Antietam, definitely one the most solemn places I've ever been.
Link Posted: 9/19/2012 1:27:38 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The trenches are still there near the bridge. Hard to see under the tall grass, but still there. I went in one of them about 12 yrs ago,... very creepy !!!

I saw a D-Day documentary some years ago where some old vets were walking around places they had been.  This one old guy looked around a road intersection out in the near countryside and then pointed to a ditch beside the road and said "I dug a foxhole right over there."  They walked over, poked around in the grass and weeds, and there was the remnant of the guy's old foxhole.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top