Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2012 12:29:31 PM EDT
I'm flabbergasted!

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/2/3443596/lenovo-thinkpad-thinkcentre-computers-made-in-the-usa

"Made in the USA." Those are four words that are rarely found on electronics, but following Google's surprising move to build the unsuccessful Nexus Q in the United States, Lenovo is opening up a plant in North Carolina to manufacture a portion of its ThinkPad and ThinkCentre laptops, desktops, and tablets. According to the North Carolina-based News & Observer, the new manufacturing facility will cost around $2 million and will employ 115 workers once it opens next year in Whitsett, NC — not far from Lenovo's US headquarters in Raleigh.

Considering the Chinese company had $29.6 billion in revenue during its last fiscal year, the decision appears to be primarily symbolic. The Wall Street Journal reports that the limited-capacity US plant will allow the company more flexibility when catering to its corporate clients, so don't expect your next ThinkPad Edge to be made locally — the vast majority of machines will likely continue to be built in China and Mexico. Despite its size, the new plant is certainly a change of pace for computer manufacturers. American companies like Apple, HP, and Dell no longer produce any machines in the United States.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/10/01/2383480/lenovo-expanding-in-guilford-county.html#storylink=misearch

ThinkPads back in the USA, even if it is just a few... I honestly didn't see that one coming!
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 12:31:42 PM EDT
[#1]
We must be getting cheap. Putting thousands of 3rd world peasants out of work.
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 12:32:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool....more companies should follow.
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 12:33:34 PM EDT
[#3]
The profits still go back to China though.
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 12:34:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

The salaries go to my neighbors, though.

Link Posted: 10/2/2012 12:35:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

But the jobs are what really matter... aren't they...

Still, Thinkpad and Apple have the best laptops, and I don't see Foxconn opening a plant in the US...
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 12:41:37 PM EDT
[#6]
You mean assembled in the USA out of foreign produced components.

It's a nice start for the additional jobs created though
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 12:43:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Awesome, and Lenovo makes some of the most affordable "powerhouse" compact laptops on the market.
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 12:43:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

They must be hunting for a .gov contract... first thing that came to mind!
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 12:46:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Thinkpads have Intel CPU's in them, those, at least, are made in the US.

But, yeah, pretty much everything else is made overseas.

Link Posted: 10/2/2012 12:48:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
We must be getting cheap. Putting thousands of 3rd world peasants out of work.

Nope only 115 3rd world pheasants will be out of work, which in all actuality means less than 100, because they work longer hours, more days of the week, and don't bitch about it.

They should open up a plant in Detroit I bet they could really get some cheap labor will all the people out of work their, although these might be skilled jobs so maybe that wouldn't work.
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 12:55:51 PM EDT
[#11]
And last night I was just regretting my Acer Aspire purchase and thinking I should have gone with a thinkpad for ergonomic reasons.

Guess my next laptop will be a thinkpad for ergonomic and patriotic reasons.
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 12:57:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 10/2/2012 12:58:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 1:02:25 PM EDT
[#14]
The manufacturing facility will focus on applying the 'MADE IN THE USA' stickers on the box.
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 1:05:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

So do the profits of Japanese cars...everyone is still in love with them.
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 1:06:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Cool stuff.

Quoted:
Quoted:

So do the profits of Japanese cars...everyone is still in love with them.

I would rather have a high-quality long-lasting reliable car where the profits go to Japan, than a POS clunker that constantly falls apart, but had the profits stay here amongst the UAW.
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 1:08:04 PM EDT
[#17]

People would be AMAZED at how many 'manufacturers' relabel Chinese products............then get a premium for being American made.
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 1:12:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They must be hunting for a .gov contract... first thing that came to mind!

Berry compliancy comes to mind.
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 1:18:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This ^
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 1:25:29 PM EDT
[#20]
I just want the price of the X1 Carbon to go down
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 1:26:59 PM EDT
[#21]
I just bought a bunch of aircompressor parts all Made in USA from Northern of all places.  I did pay a bit more but not that much more and was happy to as I suspect the QC is better.

would love to see more computer items brought back.
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 1:32:59 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I just bought a bunch of aircompressor parts all Made in USA from Northern of all places.  I did pay a bit more but not that much more and was happy to as I suspect the QC is better.

would love to see more computer items brought back.

Northern also sells Quincy compressors that are made in Quincy, IL.  

Link Posted: 10/2/2012 1:33:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Why? It sucks.
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 1:40:20 PM EDT
[#24]

Most of the Intel CPU's are but not all.  They have FAB plants in AZ and OR but also ones in Israel, Ireland and China

Most of the R&D is done in Israel if I remember right and all the test plants are in Malaysia

Link Posted: 10/2/2012 1:42:40 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm guessing this means board stuffing and  assembly?  Do we fab chips?
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 2:07:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The manufacturing facility will focus on applying the 'MADE IN THE USA' stickers on the box.

The FTC takes a dim view of that, unless there's disclaimers on the label "assembled in the USA of foreign and domestic components", etc, the standard is that the product has to be assembled in the USA, and "all or virtually all" of the parts have to be U.S. made.

Even "assembled in the USA" can't be a "screwdriver assembly" where a bunch of Chinese parts are bolted together.

This is one of the few situations where it seems like snitching might be a good idea.  If you did buy a hose nozzle like the one above, calling FTC about it seems like a pretty smart thing to do.
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 2:33:50 PM EDT
[#27]
I've seen that too. I once bought some shower curtains for my bathroom, the box says "made in the USA," but then the actual items said "made in Indonesia."
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 2:56:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That will be my next one, if there is a next one.

T-520 for now.

I wouldn't trade it for three of anything else, but I'm still not sure I shouldn't have gotten the T-420.
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 3:09:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Just so ya'll know, Lenovo computers are just riddled with malware and spyware...from the factory. They're so bad that DoD isn't supposed to buy them anymore, due to security risks. Worked w/ a 0-3 who's in Cyber, and he couldn't warn away from them stronger.
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 3:11:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Just so ya'll know, Lenovo computers are just riddled with malware and spyware...from the factory. They're so bad that DoD isn't supposed to buy them anymore, due to security risks. Worked w/ a 0-3 who's in Cyber, and he couldn't warn away from them stronger.

No trouble with mine, going on a year.

I would think that it would have shown up by now.

Link Posted: 10/2/2012 3:14:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

They come with lots of retarded program, but I didn't notice anything bad like that.

But my Lenovo Y460 is 2.5 years old and has the nicest touchpad I've ever used. Plus I got it for under $700, laptops as powerful as it at the tiem were well over $1000, as it is 14", under 5lbs, and has a dedicated GPU that is very powerful unlike most wimpy laptop GPU's. My roommate liked it so much he just bought a brand new Y560 for an amazing price.

But I also reinstall a fresh copy of windows on it every  6 months or so. Got to Love Acronis and full disk backups!
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 3:14:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

But the jobs are what really matter... aren't they...

Still, Thinkpad and Apple have the best laptops, and I don't see Foxconn opening a plant in the US...

I was surprised to learn that Foxconn already has facilities in the US, although I'm not sure that they manufacture new product there.
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 3:21:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:

It seems that I've seen a good number of Intel CPUs that have another country stamped on them. Looking at Google Images shows several pictures of Intel chips that say various foreign country names.
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 3:23:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

It seems that I've seen a good number of Intel CPUs that have another country stamped on them. Looking at Google Images shows several pictures of Intel chips that say various foreign country names.

Hmm, possibly the packaging and heatsinks are from somewhere else?
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 3:25:07 PM EDT
[#35]
I called tech support for my thinkpad today. Apparently, IBM handles tech support on the thinkpads, and i got to talk to a nice gentleman in georgia for service on my laptop.
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 3:34:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Phoenix is still barely USA. their plants down there are huge. I tried getting a house right near Intel.

They had that huge fucking crane there when constructing the new portion.
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 4:08:54 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I've seen that too. I once bought some shower curtains for my bathroom, the box says "made in the USA," but then the actual items said "made in Indonesia."

The box was made in the USA

Link Posted: 10/2/2012 5:01:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmm, possibly the packaging and heatsinks are from somewhere else?

Mostly fabricated in the US, assembled elsewhere.

Link Posted: 10/2/2012 5:08:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Very happy with my T500.  I'll be looking at Lenovo again when the time comes around.

J
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 5:56:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Saw this coming because HP & Dell have stateside "custom client" centers that take the product built overseas and load a domestic clients customized OS and applications bundles onto the device just prior to shipment.  That was Lenovo's biggest weakness 5 years ago when the customer account I am on now was tring to utilize Lenovo's..... I just took 2 damn long to get the laptops onsite (like double the lead times VS an HP or Dell)
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 12:41:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Pretty telling when your brand and industrial design has lasted 20 years...

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/5/3451206/thinkpad-turns-20-ibm-lenovo-retrospective

So sexxy... I had to put in 2 x's!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top