Page / 2
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 2:48:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 2:48:49 PM EDT
[#2]
why
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 2:49:14 PM EDT
[#3]
It might be a viable replacement to the m113, but Im wondering how on Earth do you add 20 tons just by switching to tracks.

Link Posted: 10/25/2012 2:49:32 PM EDT
[#4]
So...a less survivable BFV?
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 2:50:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Doesn't this somewhat defeat the Sryker's advantages in speed, stealth and a handful of other specs? Isn't this just another Bradley?
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 2:50:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It might be a viable replacement to the m113, but Im wondering how on Earth do you add 20 tons just by switching to tracks.

Has to have more armor.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 2:51:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I thought the Bradley was the replacement for the 113.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 2:51:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Dont want to buy a Merkava and too cheap to research anything else. Put tracks on a stryker. Sure, fuck it, why not?
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 3:04:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Thats it.  Its time to start firing people.

You can put the same god damned .50 cal CROWS mount on an M113A3, and the 113 already has add-on armor kits developed.

Or if you don't  want to use the M113 because you "replaced it" with the M2/M3, you could always do what BAE is suggesting and convert M2/M3 hulls into M113 replacements.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 3:06:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Am I wrong or does it look like there is a lot of extra armor on that thing?
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 3:07:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The 20 tons comes from new drivetrain, engine, electronics, armor, power generation, weapons and survivability upgrades
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 3:13:56 PM EDT
[#12]
At 42 tons, and with tracks, it doesn't seem to have much in common with the Stryker. This is a completely different class of vehicle, and calling it a Stryker is silly.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 3:15:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 20 tons comes from new drivetrain, engine, electronics, armor, power generation, weapons and survivability upgrades

An off the shelf M113A3 weighs in at a little under 15 tons.  an M2A2 ODS is just over 30 tons, IIRC.

IMHO, they would be better off purchasing new M113A3s complete with the existing, in production, off the shelf survivability kits and weapons upgrades, or doing the BAE modification that turns existing M2/M3 hulls into essentially large M113 type vehicles by removing the turret, externalizing the fuel tanks, and adding roof hatches.

Lets face it.  The Stryker program was and is a FAILURE.

The M2/M3 is a great vehicle as is, but it's NOT a suitable replacement for an APC.

Why pay more money to get an even heavier version of something that we already know sucks?
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 3:16:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
At 42 tons, and with tracks, it doesn't seem to have much in common with the Stryker. This is a completely different class of vehicle, and calling it a Stryker is silly.

I'll bet they kept the cramped interior and paper thin armor.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 3:17:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

An off the shelf M113A3 weighs in at a little under 15 tons.  an M2A2 ODS is just over 30 tons, IIRC.

IMHO, they would be better off purchasing new M113A3s complete with the existing, in production, off the shelf survivability kits and weapons upgrades, or doing the BAE modification that turns existing M2/M3 hulls into essentially large M113 type vehicles by removing the turret, externalizing the fuel tanks, and adding roof hatches.

The M2/M3 is a great vehicle as is, but it's NOT a suitable replacement for an APC.

Why pay more money to get an even heavier version of something that we already know sucks?

Doesnt the M113 have aluminum armor? I read here soviet dushkas rape the shit out of them
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 3:19:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have heard people raving about how awesome the strykers are, that those are the only vehicle they want to go outside the wire in. I hear survivability is awesome. Sounds like a success to me!
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 3:20:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Jesus H. Christ, people, this is General Dynamics pitching an idea. The M113 and Bradley are made by BAE, a competitor.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 3:21:46 PM EDT
[#18]
go with the MTLV (stretched M-113A3) with add-on armor and band tracks
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 3:24:54 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Doesnt the M113 have aluminum armor? I read here soviet dushkas rape the shit out of them

so does the Bradley.  the base armor of the M-113 was only ever meant to stop 12.5mm from the front and 7.62 AP all-around––which iirc, is also what the base hull of the bradley protects against before tons of add-on armor are applied

Link Posted: 10/25/2012 3:25:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I thought the whole point to the Stryker was that it DIDN'T have tracks...

Link Posted: 10/25/2012 3:27:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, the base armor on the M113 series and the M2/M3 Bradley is aluminum.  The ODS upgrade kits on the M2 and M3 added steel to the outsides to toughen them up a bit.  You have plenty of capability to add armor to the M113 though.

Or you could even add more armor, and a 30mm RWS.

Just remember though that pretty much the only way you'll ever get an APC or IFV with armor comparable to a tank is if you start with a tank and then convert it into an APC, like the Namer or Achzarit.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 3:27:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I thought the whole point to the Stryker was that it DIDN'T have tracks...  

GD wants to play with the heavy boys.  These kinds of prototypes show up every year at the AUSA convention - they are essentially no different than the concept cars at car shows, and mean diddly and squat.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 3:30:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have heard people raving about how awesome the strykers are, that those are the only vehicle they want to go outside the wire in. I hear survivability is awesome. Sounds like a success to me!

IIRC, five of the six Stryker brigades used to be regular old foot-mobile infantry units.  I'm pretty sure they were happy to get anything with a combination of an engine, wheels, and armor plating.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 3:38:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Light infantry has some significant advantages over mech under many circumstances.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 3:43:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

IIRC, five of the six Stryker brigades used to be regular old foot-mobile infantry units.  I'm pretty sure they were happy to get anything with a combination of an engine, wheels, and armor plating.

Just stop Hans.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 3:45:40 PM EDT
[#26]

I saw it yesterday at AUSA.  My first thought was "WTF?" and after I looked it over my final thought was "WTF?".

Link Posted: 10/25/2012 3:48:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A-Have you ever been in combat with a stryker?
B-How about been blown up or seen your friends blown up in a stryker?
C-Were you in a unit that used strykers stateside or OCONUS

If you answered no to one or more of these...stfu.

Link Posted: 10/25/2012 3:49:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A-Have you ever been in combat with a stryker?
B-How about been blown up or seen your friends blown up in a stryker?
C-Were you in a unit that used strykers stateside or OCONUS

If you answered no to one or more of these...stfu.

I knew guys blown up in an Abrams.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 3:52:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Well isn't that special.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 4:00:10 PM EDT
[#30]
That is about the dumbest thing I have ever seen.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 4:04:20 PM EDT
[#31]
tracks are so old school...

they need to drop the wheels AND tracks and just turn it into a hovertank
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 4:24:56 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You recall... Incorrectly...

Link Posted: 10/25/2012 5:04:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Cute
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 5:14:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Shit if you mated that to a Super Tucano, and added all kinds of Ford shit, making sure nothing GM is in it, most here would have a massive, collective ejaculation.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 5:21:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, the base armor on the M113 series and the M2/M3 Bradley is aluminum.  The ODS upgrade kits on the M2 and M3 added steel to the outsides to toughen them up a bit.  You have plenty of capability to add armor to the M113 though.

http://media.defenseindustrydaily.com/images/LAND_M113A3_Modified_in_Iraq_lg.jpg
http://www.combatreform.org/m113gavininiraqdanisharmy.jpg

Or you could even add more armor, and a 30mm RWS.
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/6652/a52sh2.jpg
Just remember though that pretty much the only way you'll ever get an APC or IFV with armor comparable to a tank is if you start with a tank and then convert it into an APC, like the Namer or Achzarit.

Once you add all that armor to the M113 it stops working.  It's historically one of the least reliable armored vehicles as is, once that armor goes on it starts blowing motors.
IIRC from the HQ77 track we had in Iraq with the add on package you could only open the ramp 5-6 times before the hydraulic motor blew.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 8:37:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Especially when an entire M113A3 weighs around 12 tons.

Link Posted: 10/25/2012 8:43:33 PM EDT
[#37]
an american BMP
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 8:49:18 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Opinions on the stryker seem to be split between "Best thing ever!" and "Sucks donkey balls!" with very little in between.

I'm not sure what the mission of a tracked stryker is that isn't something that the M-2/M-3 or current wheeled stryker does.

I'm far from certain that the idea of "survivability at all cost" really enhances survivability, if this is where this is going.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 8:51:37 PM EDT
[#39]
They should call it a Gavin II.

Link Posted: 10/25/2012 8:51:47 PM EDT
[#40]
looks badass as hell...but.. the FIRST thing i thought was "Pentagon Wars"

Link Posted: 10/25/2012 8:52:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Doesn't the bradly fit that role already? I'm ignorant when it comes to the mechanized world.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 8:58:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
an american BMP
looks a lot like the German "Marder".

Link Posted: 10/25/2012 9:02:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
They should call it a Gavin II.

Link Posted: 10/25/2012 9:07:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Fuck you guys that looks smexy

Wouldn't want to be in it though
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 9:08:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Basically, our mech infantry can't accept the fact that the whole point of infantry is having boots on the ground.  Bradleys are great, but they are also completely un-necessary.  They bring nothing to the table that a real tank can't do, except carry 6 very cramped, poorly protected infantry.   A HMMWV can also do that, or a 113 if you want to stop shell fragments.  There are also a million cheaper wheeled APCs that can do most of what a Stryker can, in terms of carrying a squad of grunts to where the fight is.  We need to accept that if we want to protect the infantry from most of what the battlefield has to offer, they effectively need to be in something as heavy as, and nearly as expensive aas, a tank.  Arguably, we could afford this, but I don't see it happening any time soon.  Putting slat armor on a Stryker doesn't stop anything but RPGs, adds weight and size, and needs to be installed after airlifting.  Most ATGMs will still blast it handily, and all tank rounds (even a T-55) will go clear through.  

By the way, I have never even been in a Stryker, but all my buddies who have called them rolling deathtraps, and their units patrolled dismounted whenever possible...that tells me all I need to know about their survivability, when 11Bs would rather rely on IOTVs.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 9:12:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Basically, our mech infantry can't accept the fact that the whole point of infantry is having boots on the ground.  Bradleys are great, but they are also completely un-necessary.  They bring nothing to the table that a real tank can't do, except carry 6 very cramped, poorly protected infantry.   A HMMWV can also do that, or a 113 if you want to stop shell fragments.  There are also a million cheaper wheeled APCs that can do most of what a Stryker can, in terms of carrying a squad of grunts to where the fight is.  We need to accept that if we want to protect the infantry from most of what the battlefield has to offer, they effectively need to be in something as heavy as, and nearly as expensive aas, a tank.  Arguably, we could afford this, but I don't see it happening any time soon.  Putting slat armor on a Stryker doesn't stop anything but RPGs, adds weight and size, and needs to be installed after airlifting.  Most ATGMs will still blast it handily, and all tank rounds (even a T-55) will go clear through.  

By the way, I have never even been in a Stryker, but all my buddies who have called them rolling deathtraps, and their units patrolled dismounted whenever possible...that tells me all I need to know about their survivability, when 11Bs would rather rely on IOTVs.

Landraiders for the mother fucking win

Link Posted: 10/25/2012 9:13:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s117/tylarius/inquisition/landraider.jpg

Can we get the Tactical Dreadnought Armour and storm bolters too?

Link Posted: 10/25/2012 9:17:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Those of you suggesting we could have stuck with the M113s are fuckin' high.

We had a name for them (and M577s) when I was in Iraq...

Gates
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 9:18:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s117/tylarius/inquisition/landraider.jpg

Can we get the Tactical Dreadnought Armour and storm bolters too?

Only DEVGRU would get it
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 9:19:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Tracks suck!

I will never forget the worst night of my life trying to replace
a thrown ITV track stuck in 2 feet of mud in Hoehenfels.

Those things would break down sitting in the motor pool for a week.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top