Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 4:56:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Here's a similar one, Paris from the top of the Eiffel Tower.
http://www.gillesvidal.com/blogpano/paris.htm

I could look at those all day long.  Love the detail.  I've done a few single row panos and it's amazing the amount of detail you can get with even just 5 stitched images from a 50mm lens rather than 1 from a 17mm.

Quoted:

Thats pretty cool.  I should look it up.  I read some of the accounts of the big disaster on K2 a few years later.  I'm not belittling the climb at all, but from everything that I can read, Everest is not that difficult or technical of a climb.  The danger comes obviously with the height and rapid weather changes.

It's a real interesting watch.  The author of the book kinda said the same thing.  It is not the most technical mountain in the world, but due to weather and altitude, your margin of error is extremely narrow.  And with 1996, had the weather turned bad just a few hours earlier or later, it could have shifted from 0 dead to 20-30 dead.
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 4:58:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Very cool! I could spend a lot of time looking at that.
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 5:00:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I see a couple people down near the green tents at the bottom of the camp
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 5:04:48 PM EDT
[#4]

I give up, where is this on the picture?

Link Posted: 12/18/2012 5:07:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I just found a lone climber up on the Khumbu ice flow

Damn, once you spot someone you can actually floow the path up the ice flow to others.  Haven't found any of the higher camps yet...

Sweet, found camp 3 I believe on the face of the ice!
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 5:10:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm not zooming on anything. My luck I will home in on the upside down dead dude.
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 5:10:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 5:15:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 5:17:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Zoom all the way in to the top of the summit, then start scrolling down to the right.  It's not too far from the top.
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 5:17:31 PM EDT
[#10]
thats awesome
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 5:18:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

its the peak to the right of Everest.
i can only find base and what appears to be camp 3.
lots of climbers though.
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 5:19:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Near the summit of Nuptse. Far right hand peak. If they are climbers somebodies got an eye!

Lots climbers in the ice fall. Fuck you! That is just nuts.

Well established Camp 3 but I don't see any climbers above it.

Look above and to the right of it and you can see the fracture in th "Yellow Band". Very cool stuff.

Link Posted: 12/18/2012 5:22:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 5:23:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Zoom all the way in to the top of the summit, then start scrolling down to the right.  It's not too far from the top.

I think they are looking at the wrong mountain....  try the biggest one instead

Link Posted: 12/18/2012 5:24:53 PM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 12/18/2012 5:27:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Wow, this is impressive.
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 5:29:37 PM EDT
[#17]
ok I wasn't impressed until I zoomed in on the base camps that kinda helped the perspective

awesome pic thanks for sharing
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 5:32:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Pretty cool.
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 5:34:57 PM EDT
[#20]
There are 3 peaks in the center of this picture. On the right is Nuptse. In the center is Lhotse. On the left is Everest. The large patch of snow is refered to as the "Western Cwm". Camp 3 is midway  up this feature. Above that and to the left there is a low spot between Everest and Lhotse. That is refered to as the "South Col". Camp 4 is here with the summit ridge being above and to the left. This is where Beck Weathers was left during the '96 event.

Wow! 15,876 people online. WTF?
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 5:36:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
They say you can see the base camps for the ascent clearly. Just have to find them...

Yeah, they're the yellow dots right at the bottom of the page when you open the picture. Next to the glacier flow.
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 5:38:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Sweet!
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 5:41:40 PM EDT
[#23]
How do I save this image?
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 5:43:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Fucking magnificent.
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 5:46:27 PM EDT
[#25]
How long does it generally take to get to the summit form the bottom base camp?

I found a trail and some climbers up and to the left of the bottom camp but can't find 3. It's near the middle of the glacier right?
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 5:49:26 PM EDT
[#26]
I flew over that once and took a picture.

Link Posted: 12/18/2012 5:55:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Very cool image.

I was not impressed until I zoomed in on base camp.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 5:59:22 PM EDT
[#28]
That's a lot of traffic up to camp 2.
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 6:01:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Fantastic  TY OP!
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 6:04:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
That's a lot of traffic up to camp 2.

I think you are right about it being Camp 2. I thought it was 3 but it doesn't seem high enough.

I have the boys tonight so am only able to grab a couple minutes at a time.

Heres a route map:

Link Posted: 12/18/2012 6:10:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Damn, that's pretty cool!
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 6:12:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Success!

Finally, a cool thread to make everybody forget about all my stupid ones.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 6:14:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I found a trail and some climbers up and to the left of the bottom camp but can't find 3. It's near the middle of the glacier right?

Not that long really for the climbing.  The acclimation to the altitude is what takes time.  You have to climb up, spend time at an advanced camp, then come back down to a safer camp for a longer period, then you bounce between the other camps before reaching the final one before the summit.

Also, lots of waiting for window in weather patterns to make the ascent.
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 6:14:57 PM EDT
[#34]
That's bad ass!!
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 6:20:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Tag
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 6:20:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not that long really for the climbing.  The acclimation to the altitude is what takes time.  You have to climb up, spend time at an advanced camp, then come back down to a safer camp for a longer period, then you bounce between the other camps before reaching the final one before the summit.

From what I remember in "Into Thin Air", the strong climbers left Camp 4 at midnight.  Arrived at the summit between 1-2pm, and got down around 4-6pm.  The ones who struggled didn't get in for hours later.

ETA:  Good info here:

Climb Info
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 6:25:41 PM EDT
[#37]
tent city
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 6:27:09 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

From what I remember in "Into Thin Air", the strong climbers left Camp 4 at midnight.  Arrived at the summit between 1-2, and got down around 4-6.  The ones who struggled didn't get in for hours later.
So if you were in good shape and cheated with O2 it really wouldn't take very long at all huh?

Lots and lots of O2. Carrying it would be a problem

Link Posted: 12/18/2012 6:30:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From what I remember in "Into Thin Air", the strong climbers left Camp 4 at midnight.  Arrived at the summit between 1-2, and got down around 4-6.  The ones who struggled didn't get in for hours later.
So if you were in good shape and cheated with O2 it really wouldn't take very long at all huh?

Cheating?  Unless you have experience on the 8K's and in outstanding physical shape, you probably wouldn't make it very far.....

It would probably kill me, oxygen or not.
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 6:32:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I edited my above.  Those were supposed to be PM.  So roughly 14-20 hours round trip.  I couldn't do it unless a Sherpa carried me.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 6:36:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheating?  Unless you have experience on the 8K's and in outstanding physical shape, you probably wouldn't make it very far.....

It would probably kill me, oxygen or not.

Its a very difficult thing to do. Takes lots of time and money and a whole shit load of determination. Zoom in on those little people in the ice fall above base camp. That looks scary as shit to me, and its just the first step.

To summit without O2 is a very rare thing that only a handful of people are able to do. I would not be one of those people.

Link Posted: 12/18/2012 6:37:48 PM EDT
[#42]
That is one gnarly MFer

If only...
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 6:43:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
That is one gnarly MFer

If only...

If we all donated a P-mag we could probably afford to send you.

Link Posted: 12/18/2012 6:46:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Up on the Lhotse face...

Link Posted: 12/18/2012 6:51:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Wow, I found the summiting base camps, prayer flags strund in some GNARLY places, but I still cant identify the trail to the summit, or any skeletal deal climbers....
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 7:15:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
That is one gnarly MFer

If only...

If we all donated a P-mag we could probably afford to send you.

At the rate prices are rising maybe only a few pmags
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 7:17:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's a similar one, Paris from the top of the Eiffel Tower.
http://www.gillesvidal.com/blogpano/paris.htm

I could look at those all day long.  Love the detail.  I've done a few single row panos and it's amazing the amount of detail you can get with even just 5 stitched images from a 50mm lens rather than 1 from a 17mm.

Quoted:

Thats pretty cool.  I should look it up.  I read some of the accounts of the big disaster on K2 a few years later.  I'm not belittling the climb at all, but from everything that I can read, Everest is not that difficult or technical of a climb.  The danger comes obviously with the height and rapid weather changes.

I saw the Discovery series, and it blows my mind. The camp at North Col is higher than any point outside the Himalayas, and that's where you launch from. If anything goes wrong, there's really no saving you--you're just dead.

It's a real interesting watch.  The author of the book kinda said the same thing.  It is not the most technical mountain in the world, but due to weather and altitude, your margin of error is extremely narrow.  And with 1996, had the weather turned bad just a few hours earlier or later, it could have shifted from 0 dead to 20-30 dead.

Link Posted: 12/18/2012 7:20:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Pretty nifty. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 7:26:42 PM EDT
[#49]
I youtubed videos of the summit of Everest...and it looks like everyone took videos with their 2MP cell phone camera...

WTF...I want HD personal videos of the summit damnit!
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 7:34:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Okay, I spotted 4 dead climbers.  What do I win?  

Thats what i was looking for. Didnt see any.

I see dead people

or a rock wish it would zoom in once more
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top