Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2012 10:24:23 AM EDT
Watch this and compare it to what we see on the news now.  Back in the 1960's the reporters reported the facts only, no conjecture, no opinion, no trying to sway public opinion. You will never see current news outlets report like this now days.

Link Posted: 12/21/2012 10:26:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Watched all that live on TV as it happened.  Some good old boys came out and kept Whitman pinned down.

ETA

Link Posted: 12/21/2012 10:28:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I wasn't alive during this...but I am awestruck at the solemn reverence that the reporters had while reporting facts alone.
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 10:35:33 AM EDT
[#3]
No "Assault Weapons" either.

Closest would probably be the M1 Carbine
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 10:39:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I wasn't alive during this...but I am awestruck at the solemn reverence that the reporters had while reporting facts alone.

That was before Woodward and Bernstein's Pulitzer Prize for Watergate coverage and taking down a presidency singlehanded.

Link Posted: 12/21/2012 10:41:36 AM EDT
[#6]
How could something like have happened before video games, widespread ownership of AR15s, and before God was taken out of the classroom?
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 10:41:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

SHOOTING:  August 1, 1966

The AR-15 was in existance then...but not popular.  Colt aquired the rights to manufacture the AR-15 on September 30, 1959.

You also had the FN FAL (designed 1943, producted 1947), the M1 Carbine, the AK-47 (designed 1947, production started 1949)...

What you fail to remember is this was PRE-1986...  So they had even more evil guns than these crappy "assault weapons"...  They had full blown MACHINE GUNS!!
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 10:42:14 AM EDT
[#8]
hmmmm, he must of had 1 of those darn evil assault weapons with them there high capacity clips
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 10:45:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yep he used one of those Remington 700 deer sniper rifles.
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 10:57:27 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The AR-15 was in existence then...but not popular.  Colt acquired the rights to manufacture the AR-15 on September 30, 1959.

You also had the FN FAL (designed 1943, produced 1947), the M1 Carbine, the AK-47 (designed 1947, production started 1949)...

What you fail to remember is this was PRE-1986...  So they had even more evil guns than these crappy "assault weapons"...  They had full blown MACHINE GUNS!!

Desert_AIP is talking about the weapons Whitman used, i'm assuming.

Link Posted: 12/21/2012 10:57:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep he used one of those Remington 700 deer sniper rifles.

Amazing what a wording change can convey
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 11:06:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

The AR-15 was in existence then...but not popular.  Colt acquired the rights to manufacture the AR-15 on September 30, 1959.

You also had the FN FAL (designed 1943, produced 1947), the M1 Carbine, the AK-47 (designed 1947, production started 1949)...

Nope, based on the Bold/Red part highlighted, he was conveying that there were no assault weapons other than the M1 Garand at the time.
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 11:06:35 AM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 12/21/2012 11:07:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Watched all that live on TV as it happened.  Some good old boys came out and kept Whitman pinned down.

ETA

http://murderpedia.org/male.W/images/whitman_charles/shooting/1010f.jpg

Some of those men went to a LGS where the owner handed out rifles and ammunition.
Passing out the rifles without the paperwork and background check would be a crime today.
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 11:09:46 AM EDT
[#15]
The backlash on that one was that there was a brief effort made to outlaw telescopic sights.

Incidentally much of the firepower used to pin Whitman down came from the student body.
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 11:15:04 AM EDT
[#16]
"and some citizens that were deputized when they offered their services"

That would never happen today. Citizens aren't professional enough.
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 11:15:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, based on the Bold/Red part highlighted, he was conveying that there were no assault weapons other than the M1 Garand at the time.

I took it that he meant the closest thing to an "assault weapon" that Whitman had was his M1 Carbine.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 11:17:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It's a good bet that some of the people pinning him down had experience at doing just that.
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 11:18:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Back in the 1960's the reporters reported the facts only, no conjecture, no opinion, no trying to sway public opinion.

The movie portrayed officer Ramiro Martinez as being a victim of racism against Hispanics. My parents knew Martinez in later years - He once told them that there was no racism involved, and that he resented the inaccuracies in the movie.
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 11:20:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
How could something like have happened before video games, widespread ownership of AR15s, and before God was taken out of the classroom?

ahh AMEN
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 11:23:16 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Back in the 1960's the reporters reported the facts only, no conjecture, no opinion, no trying to sway public opinion.

The movie portrayed officer Ramiro Martinez as being a victim of racism against Hispanics. My parents knew Martinez in later years - He told them that there was no racism involved, and that he resented the inaccuracies in the movie.

Yeah, the movie showed him on the verge of emotional collapse and shitting his pants, etc.

Also had John Forsythe playing a police LT that was shitting his pants over all the civilians coming out and shooting at Whitman.

Even then (1975) I could tell there was a strong lefty taint to the movie.

Link Posted: 12/21/2012 11:24:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Whitman had an M1 Carbine. There is no mention of an M1 rifle.

Link Posted: 12/21/2012 11:24:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

The movie portrayed officer Ramiro Martinez as being a victim of racism against Hispanics. My parents knew Martinez in later years - He told them that there was no racism involved, and that he resented the inaccuracies in the movie.

Yeah, the movie showed him on the verge of emotional collapse and shitting his pants, etc.

Also had John Forsythe playing a police LT that was shitting his pants over all the civilians coming out and shooting at Whitman.

Even then (1975) I could tell there was a strong lefty taint to the movie.

Big difference between news reporters and hollywood movie makers.  News reporters are held to a code of ethics, hollywood has never been.
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 11:25:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

You also had the FN FAL (designed 1943, produced 1947), the M1 Carbine, the AK-47 (designed 1947, production started 1949)...

I took it that he meant the closest thing to an "assault weapon" that Whitman had was his M1 Carbine.

Ah....possibly
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 11:27:06 AM EDT
[#25]
I can't believe he forgot toilet paper.

That's pretty short-sighted of him.

Link Posted: 12/21/2012 11:32:04 AM EDT
[#26]
White men are racist and hate women, that's why those reports are so unemotional.
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 11:32:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

http://murderpedia.org/male.W/images/whitman_charles/shooting/1018.jpg

Isn't that a roll in the bottom left?
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 11:32:17 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Other than the M1 carbine he bought the morning of the shooting?

Link Posted: 12/21/2012 11:34:33 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, and he even brought a Combat Hammer, a Combat Hatchet, and a Combat Pipe Wrench.

Link Posted: 12/21/2012 11:44:08 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

bottom left looks to be a roll.

Link Posted: 12/21/2012 11:47:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, and he even brought a Combat Hammer, a Combat Hatchet, and a Combat Pipe Wrench.

To hell with those things, he had the tactical spam, and the Combat raisins! A SIX count assault combat pack of 'em!! Oh, the huMANity!!!

Link Posted: 12/21/2012 12:01:38 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

To hell with those things, he had the tactical spam, and the Combat raisins! A SIX count assault combat pack of 'em!! Oh, the huMANity!!!

The disturbing thing about all the preps these guys do is that it takes weeks and months to plan and acquire all the stuff they use, and all the while they're interacting with people and no one has a clue what they're up to (most of the time).

Link Posted: 12/21/2012 2:02:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Whitman, besides being an ex-Marine, was also an Eagle Scout. He probably had that trunk
full of stuff for "camping."

A friend's wife used to live in the house where Whitman murdered his mother.
She was clueless until a reporter doing a story came around one evening and told her.
Of course this was 20+ years after the fact. Still, I don't think she renewed her lease!
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 2:07:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:

That was before Woodward and Bernstein's Pulitzer Prize for Watergate coverage and taking down a presidency singlehanded.

My father was a newspaper publisher for several years. The mindset of new reporters changed a lot after Woodward & Bernstien. Has only gotten worse since.
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 2:11:14 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The AR-15 was in existance then...but not popular.  Colt aquired the rights to manufacture the AR-15 on September 30, 1959.

You also had the FN FAL (designed 1943, producted 1947), the M1 Carbine, the AK-47 (designed 1947, production started 1949)...

Pretty sure there were virtually no FALs or AKs in private citizens' hands in 1966.  But yeah, the AR-15 (Colt SP1) was on the market by then.

Link Posted: 12/21/2012 2:13:58 PM EDT
[#36]
I was thinking about this incident the other day.

56 years and several major gun control laws later, and we still have nuts shooting up schools.

We've tried it their way for too long.

Fuck the liberal gun grabbing cockfags!

Nut up or shut up!
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 2:18:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

You also had the FN FAL (designed 1943, produced 1947), the M1 Carbine, the AK-47 (designed 1947, production started 1949)...

Ah....possibly

Sorry for the confusion, that's what I meant.

In my addled state I neglected to include the word "used"
As in, "No 'Assault Weapons' were used."

Making the case that "Assault Weapons" are a red herring.
These people want to ban ALL guns, and they believe in incrementalism.
They mean to divide and conquer us one piece at a time.
Those who give up AWs now will see their "sniper rifles" and "combat shotguns" go next.
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 2:25:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

In Texas, hell yeah it can. A peace officer can summon a sufficient number of citizens of his county to effect whatever he is trying to do. Doesn't happen very much, but it is law.
Link Posted: 12/21/2012 2:25:48 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I was thinking about this incident the other day.

56 46 years and several major gun control laws later, and we still have nuts shooting up schools.

We've tried it their way for too long.

Fuck the liberal gun grabbing cockfags!

Nut up or shut up!

Back then you could mail order rifles, shotguns, and handguns right to your home.  That was stopped by the 1968 GCA.

We didn't have school massacres back then before all those gun laws, and didn't have cops and metal detectors in schools.  It was unthinkable.

The mid-1960's onward saw a steady erosion of the American culture and values.  The Leave It To Beaver / Father Knows Best / Happy Days setting disappeared forever, to be replaced by the drug culture, the welfare culture, the gangsta culture.

Link Posted: 12/21/2012 2:29:01 PM EDT
[#40]
I was there -- on campus -- when this happened. Some of the people were shot because they stood around like dunces, trying to find the source of the gunfire, instead of taking cover.  Their curiosity killed them.

An armed civilian, with an M1 carbine, helped Officer Martinez bring Whitman down. Whitman was hunkered down in one corner of the tower parapet, from which he could cover the two possible approaches. Martinez and the civilian each took one of the approaches, and they were in equal danger.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top