Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2013 7:14:44 AM EDT
I just ordered 3 more wall hangers for my guitars and I'd like to mount my AR on my wall (or a shelf).
What good display options have you guys found?
Something that is lockable would be a huge plus but isnt required. And Ive thought about putting up a shelf and just using that but Id love to see some other solutions.
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 2:34:14 AM EDT
[#1]
my solution is a safe for my firearms.............
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 3:20:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 3:32:11 AM EDT
[#3]
safe
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 3:43:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Locked in safe and Pelican case in back of SUV. When I want to show it off to house guests,  I tie the Pelican case to the chandelier in the foyer. Visitors are so impressed by my sporting rifle that they offer to do yard work in exchange for getting to touch the the case.
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 3:53:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Nothing screams "come back and steal me when I'm not home" more than a wall mounted AR.
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 4:11:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Shadow maybe this will serve as an example.

Back in July 2010 in Puerto Rico, an American guy named Michael Uscinowicz Simpson (ex Army soldier) was involved in a court case and is currently in prison for killing his girlfriend Veronica Santiago. I bring this up because during the court hearings it came out that the ex-soldier Uscinowicz had his AR15 hanging on the wall of his apartment as if it was a painting or for showing. He said he lived alone, and that he felt it was safe to keep it on the wall since there was no one else at the apartment most of the time. Well, the night Veronica got killed he came to his apartment drunk with a buddy of him and as soon as they walked into the apartment his buddy grabbed the AR from the wall to "see it". Uscinowicz was showing his "art piece" to his buddy as Veronica walked into the apartment and sat down on the sofa. At some point during the "show-and-tell" Uscinowicz pulled the trigger and Veronica got killed for a single shot to the head.

You can google Uscinowicz and the story will come up but it's mostly in Spanish.

I would highly recommend to put it on a safe, no matter how awesome and beautiful your AR looks. I know you are probably leaving alone, and nobody will have access except you and you are very responsible and so was Uscinowicz's thinking. Accidents are just that accidents. Unforeseen, unfortunate acts of life. Learn from others mistakes.
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 4:52:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Wow.. If you aren't on your way to the range, keep it in the damn safe.
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 5:31:32 AM EDT
[#8]
While I agree that storing your firearms outside a secure area (such as a Safe, Vault, Gun Room, or RSC) is unwise, the OP didn't say he was putting it in his living room.

The following are suitable storage for secure areas.

Plastix Plus mounts

Pendleton Safe Gun Rack
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 6:37:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Some people have big "safes".

Link Posted: 1/2/2013 7:04:32 AM EDT
[#10]
I like to display my AR in my hands as I shoot, or in the safe for my other guns to enjoy. Anything else is not being responsable.
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 7:11:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Some people have big "safes".

http://i.imgur.com/FygwO.jpg

Those are some gorgeous rifles. Are the brakes clocked at an off-angle?

I have a feeling the OP isn't putting these inside of his vault, or he would have mentioned that...plus the fact that he said lockable would be a plus. My AR stays in my safe. Hooks like that would work just fine to hang it on a wall though. If it's a stud wall, you'll be limited on how you can space the hangers.
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 7:33:35 AM EDT
[#12]
I agree with everyone saying that it would be extremely dangerous and irresponsible to just have it unsecured in your home, wether you live alone or not. But it would pretty sick to have a whole room as a safe or a vault, if you will. That way you can show them off like art once you're inside the secured room!
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 7:50:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Seems more people here are interested in lecturing than providing information for the topic at hand.  We should probably have the government step in and an legislate something...
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 7:54:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Those are some gorgeous rifles. Are the brakes clocked at an off-angle?

Yes sir.
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 7:57:41 PM EDT
[#15]
The main reason I asked was in an effort to find something already lockable or something that could be designed/modified to be, otherwise I would have just ordered one of the plastic stands already. I dont have a rifle sized safe nor do I really have the space for one. My ar is currently locked with a cable style lock and is just sitting the the corner of my room. If someone breaks in while im not home I have many other things that I am more worried about than my AR.
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 8:16:55 PM EDT
[#16]
This may work.

http://www.santacruzgunlocks.com/setups/completehome.html

Link Posted: 1/2/2013 8:19:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 8:49:05 PM EDT
[#18]
I want to mount mine on the wall behind my couch. My AR currently lies on the back of the couch behind me , with a full 25 round magazine. It is not going anywhere on it's own. I don't play with it like a toy, but it does me no good if it's stuck in a safe. I have always had my guns out, usually loaded, but right now my 1911 is the only one that has a round in the chamber. I grew up on M1/M1a, and AK47 types, and always kept them loaded, but since I am so used to that safety setup, I have never been completely comfortable with the AR safety levers as I can't readily see in all lighting conditions whether it is or isn't on.

I want a set of pine ones to match my walls, but made in such a way that I can just lift it off.

Link Posted: 1/2/2013 8:56:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If someone breaks in while im not home I have many other things that I am more worried about than my AR.

/

Link Posted: 1/2/2013 9:07:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
If someone breaks in while im not home I have many other things that I am more worried about than my AR.

/

http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/e2c/fe1/74a/resized/philosoraptor-meme-generator-it-s-not-my-fault-i-don-t-take-responsibility-for-my-own-actions-d7857a.jpg

Because someone breaking into my house is my own action now?
My gun is currently LOCKED to where it cannot fire without being unlocked but it can be stolen quite easily as its just sitting in a corner.
Now that I want to find a secure, stationary mount that I can lock to its an issue?
On a similar note, my AR doesnt touch ammo if its inside of my house. And with the lock I have its not even possible to feed a round in.

To the guys who actually posted real solutions, I appreciate it. The ridgeback mount is a good option to keep in mind. I have a few possible design ideas as well I may explore. My ultimate goal is something I can bolt to my wall as a display but still secure enough to keep it relatively safe. Ive also thought about building a frame and just mounting it like a picture with some fairly thick Lexan and a lock and key.
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 9:11:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

To the guys who actually posted real solutions, I appreciate it. The ridgeback mount is a good option to keep in mind. I have a few possible design ideas as well I may explore. My ultimate goal is something I can bolt to my wall as a display but still secure enough to keep it relatively safe. Ive also thought about building a frame and just mounting it like a picture with some fairly thick Lexan and a lock and key.

Now THAT would being going full-retard...
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 9:14:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How so?
You could pretty easily build a very hard to get into frame and lexan is some strong stuff.
Bolt it two a couple studs inside of the frame and I doubt it would be going anywhere.
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 9:19:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How so?
You could pretty easily build a very hard to get into frame and lexan is some strong stuff.
Bolt it two a couple studs inside of the frame and I doubt it would be going anywhere.

I dunno... You worship your gun so much you want to present it like the Mona Lisa in a protective see-through case?
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 9:31:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How so?

I dunno... You worship your gun so much you want to present it like the Mona Lisa is a protective see-through case?

No, I like my AR enough that I would like to be able to display it but also keep it secure.
I originally intended on just using a pelican case and keeping it locked inside until I read of the rust issues.
Then I started thinking I should just mount it on my wall when I mount the rest of my guitars.
I build my AR myself and I wouldnt mind keeping it up on my wall both out of the way and for display.
The case and lexan would provide a secure way of doing so and allow fairly quick access if needed for HD
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 9:44:24 PM EDT
[#25]
I understand wanting to see your gun, because you're proud of it, and it was expensive. Make it your desktop wallpaper, and toss your AR under a couch cushion if you don't have a safe. It's less likely to be stolen if someone does break in, and you'll still get to see your AR.
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 11:11:55 PM EDT
[#26]
This is a stupid post. LOL.
Link Posted: 1/3/2013 1:01:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Lots of gun stores lock their rifles on a display yet when I want to do it at home all hell breaks loose.
Link Posted: 1/3/2013 3:03:44 AM EDT
[#28]
lexan case can EASILY be opened with a drill and a sawzall. i don't care how thick you make it---i work with lexan every day and it's VERY easy to machine/destroy.

gun stores are usually completely locked down at night with barred or covered windows and doors, as well as security systems that make the cops come pretty damn quick if an alarm goes off. they also usually have security cameras at multiple angles to help identify any idiots that do try to gain entry.

keeping it in a locked safe is the answer. if you feel the need to show it off, grab it out of the safe and show it to your friends. it's not fucking swarovski crystal----it's a rifle. i'd personally rather take 30 extra seconds to show someone my gun than have the cops calling me telling me some asshole just killed someone with it. you're still responsible for your firearms, no matter what.
Link Posted: 1/3/2013 4:10:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
This is a stupid post. LOL.

Uh.............Yea
Link Posted: 1/3/2013 7:16:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Who the hell hangs a rifle on the wall?

Link Posted: 1/3/2013 7:18:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Lots of gun stores lock their rifles on a display yet when I want to do it at home all hell breaks loose.

At the end of the day all those guns get locked in a safe.
Link Posted: 1/3/2013 7:18:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I've got a rifle hanging on my wall.  But it is linked to my house's alarm system while it is there.
Link Posted: 1/3/2013 7:22:21 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

me!!!

(the AR goes back in the locked up, secure, alarmed gun room though)
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 10:47:51 PM EDT
[#34]
What kind of areas do you guys live in where you are that worried about someone breaking in a with a drill and sawzall to steal a rifle?

And is the reason for wanting to keep it super secure because of price alone or the fact that it is a firearm?
I have a ~$2000 guitar hanging on my wall with nothing securing it and a $1000 laptop next to it.
I just want something to keep it secure enough to where no one is in my room playing with it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 11:13:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Here's something I did for a neighbor a couple years ago.

RIP Marine.

My rifle, just a mock up.

I murdered an old pre-ban mag for the mount.

(Not finished piece)

Link Posted: 1/4/2013 11:15:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 11:23:18 PM EDT
[#37]
I keep mine displayed in my truck's gun rack.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top