Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2013 3:49:40 PM EDT
I quit smoking 3 months ago.  The fact that I used to smoke in my car, and the fact that the previous owner did as well, means I can still smell it in my car.  Not to mention the dead hookers in the trunk, but that's another thread.

I need some suggestions on some good air fresheners that are strong and last awhile.  I realize the smoke smell will probably never fully go away, but I can settle for covering it up really well.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 3:54:56 PM EDT
[#1]
You will need to run stuff through your vents.  I can't remember the name of the product.

Some dude is saying to try vinegar?????

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070326194259AAKu3nG
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 3:55:56 PM EDT
[#2]

Buy from Amazon.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 3:56:44 PM EDT
[#3]
My wife got me some Yankee Candle air freshened thing....looks like a small plastic version of one of their candles.

I jammed it in the floor vent, truck smells awesome.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 3:56:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Ozone.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 3:57:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Ozium spray in all the ducts.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 3:57:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

You will need to run stuff through your vents.  I can't remember the name of the product.

Some dude is saying to try vinegar?????

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070326194259AAKu3nG

this is expensive, but i love einszett car detailing products - Germans make good stuff i buy a lot of stuff from autogeek.net, awesome customer service too.

Link Posted: 2/2/2013 3:59:28 PM EDT
[#7]
You can take some regular charcoal (not the kind with lighter fluid in it), put it in a pie pan and slide it up under the seat and it'll do wonders for soaking up the smell.  Also, a bar of Coast or Irish Spring bath soap will go a long way as well.  Tear the end flap off a box and toss it up under the seat.  Or a dryer sheet under each seat works fairly well.

Smoke smell is something that'll likely never go away completely, but it can be made better.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 3:59:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Eat chili (with beans) and pickled eggs, and wash them down with beer.

You will no longer notice the stale smoke odor.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 4:05:48 PM EDT
[#9]
NO "air freshener" is going to remove the smoke smell from your vehicle, "air fresheners" are just a bunch of chemicals to overpower other scents/odors and are generally quite unhealthy things to be exposed to.  Most air fresheners, scented candles and stuff like that are more toxic than the cigarette smoke, so why get rid of the cigs and then expose yourself to something worse?

The best and only solution to your problem, and it will work, is to get an ozone generator and run it in your vehicle for a few hours.  They're usually available for rent at places that rent other kinds of tools, or else from companies that do fire and water damage remediation or that sort of thing.  Anyway, you put it in the vehicle, turn it on, and close up the vehicle.  Depending on the strength of the unit, maybe let it run an hour or so, then pull the plug... let the car sit sealed up for a few more hours, then open it up and let it air out for several hours.  After that your vehicle should have NO odors, of smoke or anything else.  I've used ozone on cars, houses, offices etc, this is a staple of the professional remediation folks as well.

DO NOT get in the vehicle or breathe in the high intensity ozone during or soon after the machine has been running.  Ozone is extremely reactive (thats how it works) and will dissipate rapidly, but is dangerous in high concentrations.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 4:20:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Not possible!
Cigarette smoke smell in a car is FOREVER, sell the thing and start all over (just like your health)!
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 4:24:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Not possible!
Cigarette smoke smell in a car is FOREVER, sell the thing and start all over (just like your health)!

This.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 4:33:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Start with cleaning the inside of your car. Vacuum the hell out of everything. Then wipe down all surfaces, clean the glass,  replace the in cabin air filter and then ozone that bitch.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 4:35:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Start with cleaning the inside of your car. Vacuum the hell out of everything. Then wipe down all surfaces, clean the glass,  replace the in cabin air filter and then ozone that bitch.

Then sell it to someone who smokes!  
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 4:38:39 PM EDT
[#14]
get a pitbul, take it everywhere with you, get a dumbass friend to feed it some peperoni. you will never even notice the smoke smell.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 4:40:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This.  I found out about it from the driver of a limo.

If you still want a freshner, I like Bath and Body works ones.  Inserts are cheap (3 for $5 when on sale) and you get to choose your hanger they go in.
The one in my car is Cotton scented.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 4:41:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Wash the interior with fluorosulfuric acid. Also, spray it in all the air ducts.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 4:41:58 PM EDT
[#17]
You need to vacuum and shampoo the shit out of your interior first off.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 4:43:05 PM EDT
[#18]
California Scents, the original kind, not the gel ones, will overpower any smell.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 4:51:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Open can of sardines. Only if you`re single, `cause if you got a wife ............well, you know, the fishy smell.
If you are single, you buddies will be impressed.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 4:57:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Congrats on quitting smoking, keep up the good work!!  Its been 5 years for me, the urge never really goes away though just watch the trigger moments for when you used to smoke. Couple deep breaths help the urge go away.

As for the smell in the car, it never really goes away but it will diminish over time, I kept a box of baking soda under the seat for a long time.  Anyways I still smell it in mine on hot days coming back after the windows have been rolled up for awhile, for thatI keep a travel size of febreeze in the glove box.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 4:59:09 PM EDT
[#21]
I quit smoking as well. I've been using  Refresh air fresheners. Clip one on each vent replace when necessary.I go through about a four pack every two weeks. I cleaned the hell out of my interior I use Renuzit on the carpets but it only takes the smell away for a few days. One of the reasons why I never want to go back to smoking. Seems like everything thing I own smells like an ash tray.
http://www.refreshyourcar.com/air-freshener-vent-sticks.php
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 5:03:42 PM EDT
[#22]
I would look in to getting it professionally detailed.  They can probably clean it out better and may have some experience dealing with that specific issue.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 5:05:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Squash
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 2:51:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for all the replies.  Gonna look into the suggestions.  Sounds like Ozone is pretty unanimous for the initial treatment.  I didn't even think about the air vents, and how the smells is really gunked in there.

Link Posted: 2/3/2013 3:39:51 AM EDT
[#25]
fill the car with empty White Castle boxes ,......
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 3:52:50 AM EDT
[#26]
The Camel Snus shit they give away at bars makes a pretty good air freshner in the car. Just pop the top and put it in the cupholder.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 5:39:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the replies.  Gonna look into the suggestions.  Sounds like Ozone is pretty unanimous for the initial treatment.  I didn't even think about the air vents, and how the smells is really gunked in there.

Come back to this thread and let us all know how the ozone worked.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 2/3/2013 10:27:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Ozium is your friend.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 10:30:12 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

What I came to recommend.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top