BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/26/2013 11:46:59 AM EDT
educate me.
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 11:48:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Flat grind.  Incredible steel.  Cheap handles.  Odd, mostly crappy sheaths.

The most bang for your buck.

www.ragweedforge.com  <-- Ragnar is good people.
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 11:50:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Bi-metal blades.  Strong and hold a sharp edge.  Better than any other blade I have found, but cheap handles and unusual (?) sheaths are the norm.
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 11:52:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Bi-metal blades.  Strong and hold a sharp edge.  Better than any other blade I have found, but cheap handles and unusual (?) sheaths are the norm.

The "triflex" knives are laminated, with stainless on the outside and carbon at the cutting edge.  I think most of the line is either one or the other though.
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 11:53:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Great knife for $10-$15
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 3:40:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Best $12 you will ever spend. Swedish military milsurp has a better handle and case imho
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 3:44:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Have several blems I bought off ebay. Sharpest knives I have ever owned, will be buying more.
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 3:47:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 3:49:18 PM EDT
[#8]
If you buy the carbon, oil the blade regularly.

I dressed out a deer with one, rinsed in a creek to get the gore off and figured I would be fine for a few hours before getting home and oiling.

I was wrong.   It rusted way faster than I expected.  I do not blame the knife...... I blame me.
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 3:49:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Buy them at the pawn shop all the time for $5.
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 3:53:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yep.

Available in stainless and carbon steel.  

You cannot go wrong for this money. Plan B? CS Finn Bear.
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 4:17:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Not a flat grind.  Scandi grind.

Great knives for the dollar.

Link Posted: 3/26/2013 4:25:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Get one of these AND a more traditional style.  This is the Mora High Q Electricians knife.  It is fucking awesome, and not just for wire stripping.  Just a little stub of razor.

Link Posted: 3/26/2013 4:26:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Great knives for the price
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 4:26:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Love em.

I like the traditional wood handles. Things might have changed since i got mine but at the time they were the only ones with a tang that went all the way through the handle.  

Get mine from Ben's Backwoods

Get your sheath from JRE

Link Posted: 3/26/2013 4:28:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Amazing for the price. Get one.
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 4:30:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Good value. Buy one for every room in the house.
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 4:35:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The "triflex" knives are laminated, with stainless on the outside and carbon at the cutting edge.  I think most of the line is either one or the other though.

Laminate was the word I was looking for.  I have one and thought the outer metal was stainless.  But have since seen articles that the outer layers could be low carbon steel with HC at the core, so I am not sure what I have.  It is definitely a laminated product,  and some kinda sharp.
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 4:38:19 PM EDT
[#18]
And if you're on the path of cool, inexpensive, traditional knives from around the world, also check out the Higo No Kami knives from Japan:

Or the other varieties of similarly made folded steel knives by Motosuke Nagao, the last in the family line to make these, and no spring chicken:

Where Moras are easy to sharpen though, these require a more traditional japanese sharpening method that is neither easy nor quick.  Well you could sharpen them just any old way, but to replicate the factory sharpening with the hamon showing beautifully takes work, time, and skill.
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 5:15:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Got a Mora Companion in my edc rotation and it has served me well. Great comfy handle but the sheath could be better. I attached some paracord and a carabiner for a simple dangler.
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 5:19:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Triflex is just a differential treatment. You ain't getting no laminated blade for no $15. Still good steel and a steal for the price.

Link Posted: 3/26/2013 5:19:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 5:22:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Love them.

Cheap, good.
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 5:28:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
little knives for woods hippies

That's why in my,post I supplied a plan B.  though I really like Moras

CS Finn Bear.

Eta and if you are big money high Rollin pimp like Aimless, spyderco makes a Puuko
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 5:33:32 PM EDT
[#24]
perfect knife for the tackle box, back of the truck, atv box, ect ect.....lots of people use them for primary survival knives and have done for decades....not my deal though, i have a hard on for full tang.
order one and give it a try, like others said they are $8~30 knives, so if you hate 'em no big loss....and they have been coming out with update designs more and more recently, so there's a very good selection of knifes to choose from them. i'd suggest for your first one though to try the mora 2000 as it's one of my favorites from them.

that said, brace yourself..they might possibly have the shittiest sheath on the planet , they work and all, but the literately feel and look like a childs toy....

here's a view of some of the mora knives ....i used this to help me in my decision on which one to by.

Link Posted: 3/26/2013 5:38:55 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

perfect knife for the tackle box, back of the truck, atv box, ect ect.....lots of people use them for primary survival knives and have done for decades....not my deal though, i have a hard on for full tang.

order one and give it a try, like others said they are $8~30 knives, so if you hate 'em no big loss....and they have been coming out with update designs more and more recently, so there's a very good selection of knifes to choose from them. i'd suggest for your first one though to try the mora 2000 as it's one of my favorites from them.

that said, brace yourself..they might possibly have the shittiest sheath on the planet , they work and all, but the literately feel and look like a childs toy....

here's a view of some of the mora knives ....i used this to help me in my decision on which one to by.
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e250/moabak/moraxraywtext.jpg

Anybody done anything like that since the 2 companies combined?

Link Posted: 3/26/2013 5:41:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Triflex is just a differential treatment. You ain't getting no laminated blade for no $15. Still good steel and a steal for the price.

Well no, you aren't getting laminated steel for $15.  The triflex blades are at the top end of the price scale for Moras.  I don't think you'll find one under $25.  But it is a laminated steel.  Same with the Nagao knives, and they're not far over the Moras in price.  Here's a link to one of the laminated models on Mora's website.

The knife’s laminated steel blade provides it with unsurpassable toughness and superior edge resiliency.
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 5:41:41 PM EDT
[#27]
I've got tons of them. They're great, inexpensive allround knives.
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 5:42:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e250/moabak/moraxraywtext.jpg

Anybody done anything like that since the 2 companies combined?

sorry lost the other link with more of them

you can use the ragweed link provided as a cross reference
ragweed
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 5:42:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine is a laminated blade.  I got it unfinished, and the layers of metal are obvious.  I had to trim and shape the blade spine, no mistaking the layered metal.
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 5:45:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Dang.  What does it mean if I have Opinels too?   Dirty, French Hippy?

Link Posted: 3/26/2013 5:49:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Neat thread - OST
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 5:52:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine is a laminated blade.  I got it unfinished, and the layers of metal are obvious.  I had to trim and shape the blade spine, no mistaking the layered metal.

If you're talking about this, that's how they used to ship most of their models up until the previous generation. It's not laminated steel, just what an unfinished spine looks like The current models have polished spines.

Link Posted: 3/26/2013 5:54:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

lol
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 5:58:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Here's one of mine. Drilled it for a lanyard and form fitted a leather sheath for it.

Link Posted: 3/26/2013 5:59:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Dude.

They're laminated.  Yours is carbon, but some are different.
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 6:11:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Dude.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/dePaul/Knives%20and%20tools/MinMoraOriginalClassicnr1bild2.jpg

Maybe you misunderstood. Some Mora blades are laminated. The Triflex are not.

The one in my pic is stainless. (ETA: in the leather sheath)

Link Posted: 3/26/2013 6:13:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Moras are incredible for $12 knives. I would recommend the Mora 840MG. It is the clipper model in military green and carbon steel. Everyone needs a mora.
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 6:16:40 PM EDT
[#38]
There's...

Stainless     12C27

Carbon       1095

Triflex         Carbon with a differential heat treat

Laminated  

Triflex has been discontinued.

Link Posted: 3/26/2013 6:17:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dude.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/dePaul/Knives%20and%20tools/MinMoraOriginalClassicnr1bild2.jpg

Maybe you misunderstood. Some Mora blades are laminated. The Triflex are not.

The one in my pic is stainless. (ETA: in the leather sheath)

Shit, you're right! Sorry!  (I coulda swore....)
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 6:20:48 PM EDT
[#40]
i followed advice here and bought one for the hell of it. wasn't expecting much, and it ended up being one of my favorite knives in my collection.

thing cuts through steak like a boss.
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 6:29:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Since we're on one of my favorite subjects, here are three generations of Moras side by side.

The Clipper: 1/12" carbon steel, short tang.
The Companion: 1/10" stainless steel, longer tang.
The Robust: 1/8" carbon steel, longer tang. (Brand new)

Spine shot:

Link Posted: 3/26/2013 6:32:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Since we're on one of my favorite subjects, here are three generations of Moras side by side.

http://images.pixelpeeping.net/Halberdier/Knives/Mora/DSC_0569b.jpg

Spine shot:

http://images.pixelpeeping.net/Halberdier/Knives/Mora/DSC_0574b.jpg

i got the bottom one. i need moaaarrrrr.
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 6:50:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

http://images.pixelpeeping.net/Halberdier/Knives/Mora/DSC_0569b.jpg

Spine shot:

http://images.pixelpeeping.net/Halberdier/Knives/Mora/DSC_0574b.jpg

I need to order a robust next paycheck. Where is the best place to buy?  I sharpened up my version of the top one this evening. Excellent cutting tools.

I blued mine to give it a more subdued look. Came out great!

I have Mora knives that will grab and cut free standing hair without touching skin. I am going to try and figure out how to video it. A straight razor is the only other knife I have seen do that. It took me a lot of work to get it that sharp.
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 7:37:29 PM EDT
[#44]
I bought a Clipper for $8 and beat it like a rented mule.  That is the great thing about having a crazy sharp ugly knife that cost $8 - you aren't afraid to break it so you use it.  The worst thing I can say so far is the "sheath" is basically a plastic tube that relies on gravity to retain the knife.  It also needs more frequent resharpening it seems but it takes an incredible edge with very little work, is easy to sharpen, and is just unbelievably sharp.
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 6:24:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 6:52:56 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

educate me.

Not sure how a GD thread ended up with useful info, but you should have posted here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_6/4_Blades.html

ETA:  I have a few Mora's, and for a guy like me that doesn't know how to sharpen and likes blades wicked sharp, they are a bargain!

Link Posted: 3/28/2013 10:07:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:
educate me.

Not sure how a GD thread ended up with useful info, but you should have posted here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_6/4_Blades.html

ETA:  I have a few Mora's, and for a guy like me that doesn't know how to sharpen and likes blades wicked sharp, they are a bargain!

I know, right? no retarded comments at all. Mora is a well liked knife.
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 12:16:36 PM EDT
[#48]
bought one after hearing about them for a few years.
my only "gripe" is the same as others. sheath is lacking
but I have some kydex i can mess with
and a saddle maker buddy who could make me something
$12 knife in $20 worth of leather
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 4:41:16 PM EDT
[#49]
I have the 780 triflex, love it!  $14

I also just got the fireknife for my GF for her Easter basket.

She loves green.
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 5:09:06 PM EDT
[#50]
love my little mora.  I use it mostly for culinary purposes, slicing dry salami at lunch, ect.  the blur gets used whenever/wherever something needs cut & beat like a redheaded stepchild though.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top