Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2013 2:00:34 PM EDT
my dad used to tell me a story of how their ready room (he was an F-4 WSO) had a picture in it of an F-4 that tookoff from a carrier, and the catapult failed, when the cat failed the pilot pulled back on the stick but it just pitched the aircraft completely vertical, and the picture was looking forward towards the end of the deck, with the top half of the aircraft visible, completely vertical. the WSO ejected and died immediately upon impact with the bow, and the pilot died when the carrier ran over the aircraft when it fell in the water.

ive googled for awhile and havent found it, anyone know what i am talking about?
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 3:01:34 PM EDT
[#1]
No one?
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 3:08:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Bump for OP.  

I've heard of jets getting run over by the ship when the aircraft failed to launch successfully, but I've never seen that pic you describe.  It's out there somewhere, though.  

Link Posted: 4/27/2013 3:09:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I googled but couldn't find anything
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 3:12:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I found a website on google that lists al F-4 losses and ejections. The ones mentioning a cat failure only list 1 or no fatalities, and only navy units. Ill have to ask my dad because I thought he said it was a VMFA. Could've been that the database didnt list catapult in the description for that incident though.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 3:19:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I read about a type of launch accident that happened X times on old A6 Intruders.  There was a radar display box right in front of the pilot's stick.  If the avionics techs didn't tighten the screws when they put it back in it would violently slide back out on launch and jam the stick full back.  I don't know how many men and planes were killed by that.

Link Posted: 4/27/2013 3:20:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I found a website on google that lists al F-4 losses and ejections. The ones mentioning a cat failure only list 1 or no fatalities, and only navy units. Ill have to ask my dad because I thought he said it was a VMFA. Could've been that the database didnt list catapult in the description for that incident though.

I would think the USN has a record of it somewhere.  

Carrier ops are and always have been risky, and I forget the average number of airframes (and Sailors) lost on each cruise, but it was eyebrow-raising when I saw the stats.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 3:20:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I could see them classifying VMFA as a naval unit being that it was a shipboard accident.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 3:27:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
my dad used to tell me a story of how their ready room (he was an F-4 WSO) had a picture in it of an F-4 that tookoff from a carrier, and the catapult failed, when the cat failed the pilot pulled back on the stick but it just pitched the aircraft completely vertical, and the picture was looking forward towards the end of the deck, with the top half of the aircraft visible, completely vertical. the WSO ejected and died immediately upon impact with the bow, and the pilot died when the carrier ran over the aircraft when it fell in the water.

ive googled for awhile and havent found it, anyone know what i am talking about?

I've seen video of a factory fresh Navy Phantom taking off from St Louis that immediately went vertical and the crew punched out.  But I've never seen or heard about one doing that on a carrier.  Cold cat shots are definitely a killer, though.

FWIW, in the St Louis crash the back seater had a clipboard that got wedged between his seat and the stick.  When the pilot pulled back and the stick was jammed, he pulled back harder which snapped the clipboard and the jet pitched up way beyond normal and then immediately stalled about 200 feet off the ground and began a flat spit.  The crew ejected and the plane crashed after making almost two full turns while it fell to the ground.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 3:37:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I read about a type of launch accident that happened X times on old A6 Intruders.  There was a radar display box right in front of the pilot's stick.  If the avionics techs didn't tighten the screws when they put it back in it would violently slide back out on launch and jam the stick full back.  I don't know how many men and planes were killed by that.

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/65/194171859_a954aeb15d.jpg

That was included in Stephen Coonts's The Intruders.

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 3:53:17 PM EDT
[#11]
If you are a land based aviator and ever watch shipboard air ops, you think these are absolutely the most insane fliers on the face of the  earth.

I did not even feel safe on the same ship when air ops were going on.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 4:07:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 4:08:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I could see them classifying VMFA as a naval unit being that it was a shipboard accident.

It names the unit and the cat related ones were all VFs
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 4:09:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've seen video of a factory fresh Navy Phantom taking off from St Louis that immediately went vertical and the crew punched out.  But I've never seen or heard about one doing that on a carrier.  Cold cat shots are definitely a killer, though.

FWIW, in the St Louis crash the back seater had a clipboard that got wedged between his seat and the stick.  When the pilot pulled back and the stick was jammed, he pulled back harder which snapped the clipboard and the jet pitched up way beyond normal and then immediately stalled about 200 feet off the ground and began a flat spit.  The crew ejected and the plane crashed after making almost two full turns while it fell to the ground.

I've seen that video, it's a jaw dropper.

Link Posted: 4/27/2013 4:14:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Last plane crash in this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&v=vBdcNdKxTs8&NR=1
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 8:28:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Ages ago I had an 8mm video collection on VHS with a lot of crew shot footage from Vietnam.  One of the most amazing videos was a Phantom (maybe it was 2 that did this) came in to land and dropped flares and pulled off.  Another comes in with no gear down and tanks still on.  They land on the fuel tanks, power back up, take off again and the video show the plane going down with 2 chutes in the distance.  I have to ask my dad about that one again (he was in F4s), but I think I remember him knowing about that incident and the crew survived.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 8:37:10 PM EDT
[#17]
This is my experience when F-4's run out of gas.  

Link Posted: 4/27/2013 8:45:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx266/bonesarelli/image-24_zps017f3166.jpg

It's bad enough having to deal with being posted on a crash. I chem gear? That sucks X2.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 8:47:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's bad enough having to deal with being posted on a crash. I chem gear? That sucks X2.

During Desert Storm?
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 8:49:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

FWIW that list is far from complete. I have an aquaitence that was a VF Phantom GIB and has two fewer landings in his log book than takeoffs courtesy of Messrs Martin & Baker. One was a cold cat shot the other was a SAM over Haiphong Harbor. His name is nowhere to be found on those lists.

ETA: From what you are saying about the picture in the ready room it doesn't sound like the plane in the accident was necessarily or even likely from your dad's squadron. You usually don't put pictures of your buddies dying up on the wall. Some unknown dorks from that other service whose boats you ride on maybe.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 8:50:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

During Desert Storm?

That's what I'm thinking. I had flashbacks of when I had to deal with the remains of that EF-111A that went down then too.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 8:51:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

During Desert Storm?

Yep,  KKMC.  Didn't get a shower for the first 10 days.  Had 38 scuds shot at us.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 8:53:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

During Desert Storm?

Yes, the fucking POS BUFF wouldn't get off the tanker and let them take some gas, so they tried to make it back with what they had.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 8:56:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Out of gas
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 9:03:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Closest pic I could find, not a Phantom and pilot survived.

Link Posted: 4/27/2013 9:07:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 9:16:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

During Desert Storm?

Yes, the fucking POS BUFF wouldn't get off the tanker and let them take some gas, so they tried to make it back with what they had.

Interesting.  I just thought it was from heavy fog.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 9:24:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

During Desert Storm?

I worked with half a dozen members of the squadron that lost the jet.  It took some ground fire and started leaking, missed its tanker, and the tanker currently giving gas to a BUFF couldn't get them to agree to get off the teat so they could help out the F-4.  They diverted to an airfield that was socked in with fog, and we had one fewer operational F-4G.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 9:29:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

During Desert Storm?

I worked with half a dozen members of the squadron that lost the jet.  It took some ground fire and started leaking, missed its tanker, and the tanker currently giving gas to a BUFF couldn't get them to agree to get off the teat so they could help out the F-4.  They diverted to an airfield that was socked in with fog, and we had one fewer operational F-4G.

Thanks for the response.  The same thing happened the next night with a Saudi Tornado.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 11:15:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FWIW that list is far from complete. I have an aquaitence that was a VF Phantom GIB and has two fewer landings in his log book than takeoffs courtesy of Messrs Martin & Baker. One was a cold cat shot the other was a SAM over Haiphong Harbor. His name is nowhere to be found on those lists.

ETA: From what you are saying about the picture in the ready room it doesn't sound like the plane in the accident was necessarily or even likely from your dad's squadron. You usually don't put pictures of your buddies dying up on the wall. Some unknown dorks from that other service whose boats you ride on maybe.

I know it wasn't his squadron, and he said he had seen the picture in more than one location.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top