BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 1:40:26 PM EDT
[#1]
National Emergencies Act

Long-lasting states of emergency [edit]

While the National Emergencies Act places a time limit on the duration of states of emergency, several states of emergency have been extended multiple times, effectively creating indefinite states of emergency in particular areas. For example, a state of emergency with respect to Iran, originally declared by Jimmy Carter on November 14, 1979 during the Iranian hostage crisis, has been continuously renewed for over thirty years, most recently by Barack Obama in November 2012.[1] There is evidence that shows in a national emergency, all three branches of government formally agree that in such a state, the three branches of government take whatever necessary measures.[2]
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 1:44:53 PM EDT
[#2]
As long as the Patroit Act, the TSA, and the Dept of Homeland Security sun-sets with it I would be willing to give it a look.
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 1:51:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Well you know, the president said it was time to define an end to the war. I took it to mean he meant it was over. Let's kill all of the state-of-emergency crap. Like the Patriot act, citizen drone surveillance over the homeland, Homeland security, etc. All of the Statist wet dream shit. All of it. Return to the pre- 2001 way of doing things. Less intrusive, overbearing, freedom hating, individual rights violating government. fuck yeah.

im for this,

but the next time some jihadi brothers scare the dog shit out of some city and the cops go all milspec on the cities ass, folks will jump in here and decry the horror and threat of islam and the need to combat and stamp out the HORROR where ever it exists, despite the fact that gangs prolly kill more folks that the   mooslims ever hope to do but not in so HORRIFYING and monstrous ways thus requiring the massive empowerment and militarization and up armoring of the police along with scanning every cell phone and email sent in the last 10 years.... an the TSA and homeland security and every other department, known and unknown created after 911.

and yes it should be harder to go to war. afghanistan deserved something like war, but nothing in my lifetime, including vietnam rises to the same level of response.
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 2:15:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
yes, when was the last time congress declared war?  Hmmm....maybe he last war we won?

Congress declares wars, Presidents declare occupations.
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 2:19:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
yes, when was the last time congress declared war?  Hmmm....maybe he last war we won?

After 9/11, congress authorized the use of force against those responsible and terrorist wherever we could find them. Before the Iraq invasion, congress authorized Bush to invade and remove saddam. IMO that was a legal ' declaration of war '.

Not sure what else you are looking for. The constitution says that congress has the power to declare war then its up to the POTUS to prosecute that war.

For the youngsters, this is what a legitimate Declaration of War looks like.

Link Posted: 5/27/2013 2:38:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

when does one end a war against a tactic?

I was thinking how does one end a war against a tactic....
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 3:30:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is it a trap?

It has to be, somewhere somehow this would bite us in the ass.

PS I did not read the article so just my guess.

He's removing the unconstitutional power of the president to declare war.

so a COMMANDER IN CHIEF cannot command the military to do something should the timing require swift action?

i think theres a bit of huge misinterpretation of the WPA among other things...

I was thinking there was a 14 or 30 day window that he could authorize hostilities for and then congress had to declare for it to continue.
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 3:32:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

After 9/11, congress authorized the use of force against those responsible and terrorist wherever we could find them. Before the Iraq invasion, congress authorized Bush to invade and remove saddam. IMO that was a legal ' declaration of war '.

Not sure what else you are looking for. The constitution says that congress has the power to declare war then its up to the POTUS to prosecute that war.

For the youngsters, this is what a legitimate Declaration of War looks like.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-HZb4P_h4Cio/TZOG_goRoyI/AAAAAAAAA4g/7eksEKZNyJc/s1600/Hattie%2527s+Bible+Declaration+of+War+Back+001.jpg

now go read more recent AUMF's.  youll find they are VERY similar.

Link Posted: 5/27/2013 3:41:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is it a trap?

It has to be, somewhere somehow this would bite us in the ass.

PS I did not read the article so just my guess.

He's removing the unconstitutional power of the president to declare war.

so a COMMANDER IN CHIEF cannot command the military to do something should the timing require swift action?

i think theres a bit of huge misinterpretation of the WPA among other things...

I was thinking there was a 14 or 30 day window that he could authorize hostilities for and then congress had to declare for it to continue.

in WW2, we declared war on Germany, Japan, Bulgaria, Italy, Hungary, Romania, and Italy.  strangely absent are Holland, France, Belgium...  all places we invaded.

Link Posted: 5/27/2013 3:48:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
As long as the Patroit Act, the TSA, and the Dept of Homeland Security sun-sets with it I would be willing to give it a look.

This.
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 3:50:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It is certainly strange bedfellows for me to agree with a California Democrat but, I support the repeal.

As do I.
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 3:53:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Calif.)  is a left wing anti-gun communist cunt.  However on this one particular bill I agree with him.
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 3:59:26 PM EDT
[#13]
War Powers Resolution. Familiarize yourselves with it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 4:13:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
War Powers Resolution. Familiarize yourselves with it.

Meh. Theres a reason both the legislative and executive branches don't fully rest on the war powers act. Neither is sure they would win if it became an issue, particularly Congress.
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 4:22:23 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

He has a (D) next to his name so I'm against this bill

Don't trust the guy, but I'd have to read it.  There must be a clause to ban all firearms in the US

Link Posted: 5/27/2013 4:25:21 PM EDT
[#16]
I support the reasoning....
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 4:26:30 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm torn.

I want the CIA and SOCOM to keep doing their thing and Big Army to stop hanging around in the war zone being targets.
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 4:30:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm torn.

I want the CIA and SOCOM to keep doing their thing and Big Army to stop hanging around in the war zone being targets.

If this went through, do you think there would be an increase in SAD/SOG guys instead of .mil?
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 5:32:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm torn.

You don't need (as much) congressional authority for covert action.

Rejiggering the AUMF will mostly affect drone tactics at this point. You also won't see intervention in places like Yemen.
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 5:36:45 PM EDT
[#20]
I agree with it. It's past time.
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 6:33:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
To levy war is to engage in war. To declare war (as noted, an outlier from the first two) is to state that a condition of war exists. Does anyone believe that the President has Constitutional authority to engage in war except for emergencies without congressional authorization?

I don't who you're quoting, LarryG, but there is no general executive authority to engage in hostilities. Again, do you seriously believe that Obama has the authority to order troops to invade Canada? Do you seriously doubt that Congress has such authority?

Throw out a really stupid idea (Canada) to make your point and this does not affect just Obama.

As for what I quoted, what?  Because you don't agree, it's not so.

The link was in an earlier post.

Link Posted: 5/27/2013 10:25:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm torn.

You don't need (as much) congressional authority for covert action.

Rejiggering the AUMF will mostly affect drone tactics at this point. You also won't see intervention in places like Yemen.

I know, which is why JSOC guys are sometimes chopped to CIA to be the muscle.
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 12:16:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:
He has a (D) next to his name so I'm against this bill

Don't trust the guy, but I'd have to read it.  There must be a clause to ban all firearms in the US

Good point,or it grants new powers to the BATF-E FBI.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top