Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2013 1:30:47 PM EDT
I've never shot one, but I've finger banged one, and I'm thinking it's probably a neat toy.

It's a bit heavy, but I like the fact that it uses STANAG mags.

Before the haters get a chance to chime it...No, I don't think it'd be a good replacement for an AR, and yes, I would rather have a Tavor.
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 2:50:07 PM EDT
[#1]
One of the mods here has one.  

Link Posted: 6/22/2013 2:52:39 PM EDT
[#2]
A coworker has one. Nifty range toy. Yes,  it's a bit overweight. Coworkers is pretty accurate with 55g FMJ
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 3:06:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Had one many years ago, reliable, got hot cause of the aluminum body, wish i never sold it. If you google  bushmaster m17 mods, you will see one company that makes some cooling cuts,rails, and other functional changes.
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 3:57:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one. I am left handed so the whole bullpup thing really does not appeal to me. I have only fired it once and maybe only a mag or so then, it is heavy and bulky. I guess not a gun I would purchase again.
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 7:17:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have one. I am left handed so the whole bullpup thing really does not appeal to me. I have only fired it once and maybe only a mag or so then, it is heavy and bulky. I guess not a gun I would purchase again.

Just hanging on to it for shits and giggles?
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 7:35:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a friend with one.  Its an odd thing but if he ever sells it I will be on it like a fat kid on a candy bar.    No real reason other than its different
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 7:43:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I wish I had gotten off my ass and gotten one for Kurt to do his magic...
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 7:47:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Same.
Spent years drooling over the pics and reviews of how he improved it.
I had a line on one when Kurt passed away, and that totally ended my desire for one.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 7:50:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I wonder if its even worth buying one now since it can't be sent to him.
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 7:51:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 7:53:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 7:53:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It is not actually heavy at all.

Most of the weight in a modern carbine is in the barrel.  If you compare the weight of a bushmaster m17 (which has a 21" barrel) to an AR with a 20" barrel, they are relatively comparable.

People make the mistake of comparing it to an AR with a similar OAL, which is about a 10" barrel AR, but that's clearly not the appropriate comparison.

I'm guessing you're the "mod" referenced in the first post?

ETA: Beat by pic.
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 7:57:15 AM EDT
[#13]

Is that Kurt's work?

Link Posted: 6/23/2013 7:58:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 7:59:19 AM EDT
[#15]
friend has one, its...different, made me want a bullpup though
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 8:00:42 AM EDT
[#16]
I have one. Keep it for the neat factor.
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 9:21:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Meh, pick up a Steyr AUG, get a NATO stock for it (so it'll take M16 mags), and if you're a lefty pick up a left-hand bolt for it...

And if you want a super-sweet pull, snag a Neu-trigger for it.

Note - not an advertisement for neu-trigger; it may cause your rifle to explode and your hair to turn green. Not recommended for use as food. YMMV.
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 1:55:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Not Kurt's work. This guys:

http://www.kmaerospace.com/M17s.shtml

Link Posted: 6/23/2013 5:48:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Meh, pick up a Steyr AUG, get a NATO stock for it (so it'll take M16 mags), and if you're a lefty pick up a left-hand bolt for it...

Note - not an advertisement for neu-trigger; it may cause your rifle to explode and your hair to turn green. Not recommended for use as food. YMMV.

Is the stock swap an easy, affordable overtaking, or is it a major undertaking?
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 6:01:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stock swap on an AUG takes about 15-20 seconds.

On the NATO version, you cannot have it converted to left handed due to the magazine latch interface. You can also get them with that stock already.
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 6:02:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 8:54:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just hanging on to it for shits and giggles?

I have a hard time selling any firearms, this is not the only firearm I will probably never use and cannot seam to part with.(I am getting better about that). I guess I can use it for trading sometime in the future.
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 9:05:28 PM EDT
[#23]
I remember when my LGS tried to pawn one off on me for 600
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 6:14:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I remember when my LGS tried to pawn one off on me for 600

What year was that?
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 6:54:14 PM EDT
[#25]

Just got it back from K&M Aerospace, looks a hell of a lot better than when it left.
Ar15 has a 16" barrel for comparison (wish I had some FDE Pmags).
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 7:06:03 PM EDT
[#26]
I've owned one for a very long time, KKF (R.I.P. Kurt) did some work on it for me, it is a cool toy but no where near the gun the AUG or FS 2000 is. I've never touched a Tavor  & probably won't until I retire & leave NY.
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 9:59:14 PM EDT
[#27]
I played with one but never had the opportunity to fire it.  Solid and neat.  Fairly inexpensive at the time.

The good old days of Bushmaster making some innovative things.
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 10:02:43 PM EDT
[#28]
I've handled a few. Have not shot one, could have but didn't really care too.

They feel awkward and heavy. The ergonomics truly suck more than any semi auto rifle I've ever handled and I've handled a lot.

I think they suck.
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 10:02:54 PM EDT
[#29]
They're pretty plain in factory form but they can be customized to look pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 10:04:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'd rather have the AUG but you can't really compare the two. One is about 2k and the other about $700.
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 4:40:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stock swap on an AUG takes about 15-20 seconds.

On the NATO version, you cannot have it converted to left handed due to the magazine latch interface. You can also get them with that stock already.

Really? Hmm I'll have to check my NATO stock when I get home
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 4:43:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 4:46:16 AM EDT
[#33]
I had one and sold it a bit back to go with a 9mm AR.  Not a bad rifle and very accurate.  There is a group out of FL that will do upgrades and lighten it up but I just didnt want to put the money into it with the limiting of available parts.

Overall I liked it but now its mostly a novelty
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 4:55:14 AM EDT
[#34]
I've had two over the years.  Wish I still had one.  It was a cool design.

I remember there being an issue with a suppressor on it - something about a floating barrel design and weight on the end of it...  

I do remember with the suppressor you really get a blow back sulfur smell, right in the face.

Other than that, I like it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 5:05:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Had one, sold it

It's a neat toy with some issues that are rather expensive to address.
1) Horrid trigger
2) "sights" and rail are a joke
3) HEAVY
4) Gets HOT

Now all of those are fixable.... But was going to be close to $1000 to do what I want
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 5:08:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 5:10:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 5:24:29 AM EDT
[#38]

]

here is mine, I did the mods
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 5:36:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that Kurt's work?

Yes.  

He did outstanding work ... as long as you weren't in a hurry

RIP Kurt.

I miss my M17S

Kurt had my upper when he died... I never got it back.  I ended up giving my lower receiver to another member here.

I believe that was me.  Thank you so very much for the lower, I almost have all the parts to get 1776 back together.  
She'll be in good company:

Here's a really old pic showing just how much can be done to these guns:

Link Posted: 6/25/2013 5:38:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that Kurt's work?

Yes.  

He did outstanding work ... as long as you weren't in a hurry

RIP Kurt.

Agreed on all counts!  He reprofiled my SL8 barrel for the G36 conversion.  Looked great, he was a great guy.
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 5:55:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 7:24:09 PM EDT
[#42]
I had a chance to shoot one today, and it got DAMN hot.

How much does getting vents cut really help?
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 8:15:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Awkward, very difficult to use iron sights, heavy, less accurate than the AR.  Not really a good weapon.

A friend owned one, then sold it.  The only niche I could see it filling was that of being different.
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 9:48:28 PM EDT
[#44]
I notice from the pics that there are 2 different magwell configurations.  How many variances of this rifle are there?
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 3:56:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Awkward, very difficult to use iron sights, heavy, less accurate than the AR.  Not really a good weapon.

A friend owned one, then sold it.  The only niche I could see it filling was that of being different.

I'd run the hell out of it if it didn't get so damn hot.
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 6:54:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I notice from the pics that there are 2 different magwell configurations.  How many variances of this rifle are there?

Two (maybe 3), the extended magwell is the GenII lower.  Earlier ones supposedly had a tendency to go full auto because the trigger bar wasn't captured properly, or something like that.  Personally, I've found that they will eventually double or triple fire because the ears on the carrier end plate bend inwards, preventing the BCG from going back far enough push the hammer into the disconnector.  It's easy enough to bend them back, but it will keep happening every several thousand rounds.

Quoted:

Nobody has ever found the M17S to be inaccurate, and it is no more awkward than any other bullpup.
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 10:38:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Two (maybe 3), the extended magwell is the GenII lower.  Earlier ones supposedly had a tendency to go full auto because the trigger bar wasn't captured properly, or something like that. Personally, I've found that they will eventually double or triple fire because the ears on the carrier end plate bend inwards, preventing the BCG from going back far enough push the hammer into the disconnector.  It's easy enough to bend them back, but it will keep happening every several thousand rounds.

Quoted:

Nobody has ever found the M17S to be inaccurate, and it is no more awkward than any other bullpup.

I've got to look into the one I fired. It didn't double on me, but I noticed after cleaning, it isn't resetting normally.
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 10:39:42 AM EDT
[#48]
...got hot cause of the aluminum body

That's my #1 recollection of range time with one, as well.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top