Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2013 4:24:00 PM EDT
I decided to revisit what is likely my favorite hiking trail in the area today.  Mills Lake is a high alpine lake tucked in Rocky Mountain National Park.  It is stunningly gorgeous - pictures will never do it justice.  I decided to go farther than I have before and bagged Jewel Lake as well.  It's not too much farther from Mills - only about a half mile of pretty easy terrain.

I cannot recommend this hike enough if you are a visitor.  Be sure you are acclimated and hydrated - but definitely give it a shot.

Trail Stats:
Trailhead: Bear Lake Trailhead (NOTE: this hike can start from Glacier Gorge Trailhead - that will save you about half a mile and around 250ft of elevation gain.  The parking lot was full so we went to Bear Lake trailhead.  All below information is for this hike done via Bear Lake.)
Round-trip Length: 6.5 miles
Total Elevation Gain: Unknown from Bear Lake
Difficulty: Moderate
Starting Elevation: 9,475'
Maximum Elevation: 9,967'
Estimated Time: 2.5-5hrs
My Time: 3hrs

You know a hike is going to be good when this is one of the first things you see:

Alberta Falls (a worthy trip in and of itself if you're visiting - very easy hike):

For some reason I started singing CCR in my head.

Looking back out over the park:

These cliffs pop up out of nowhere once you get past Alberta Falls:

Ahh yes.  A mountain mile.  I have learned that this is much different than a mile elsewhere...

Some of the wildflowers are starting to bloom:

This is your first inkling that Mills Lake is going to be beautiful.  This is your view as you finish a little climb up to the lake itself.

Absolutely beautiful.

Looking back towards where you hike in from:

Stunning.

Jewel Lake:
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 4:29:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow.
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 4:31:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Did you pee in the lake?
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 4:32:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 4:35:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice, been there many times!
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 4:49:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Amazing pictures. Makes me regret even more not being able to make CO on my cross county trip with my buddy back in April

One thing I learned on that trip is that pictures of natures beauty never do it the justice of seeing it in person. Its gorgeous, overwhelming and really make you think about how minute you are in the grand scheme of things. Id imagine this place is just like that and absolutely breathtaking to see in person
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 4:59:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the pics. Makes me want to be there so bad.
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 5:01:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow!  Really nice pics!
Thanks for sharing them!
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 5:13:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Did you pee in the lake?

The real question is, did he go swimming.

Link Posted: 6/27/2013 5:24:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Awesome. Thank you for posting
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 5:27:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did you pee in the lake?

The real question is, did he go swimming.

Water temp is like 55* or so right now.  It's frigid.  

Two girls (young girls, like 13-14 years old so no pics you creepers) came out in swimsuits to try it out.  I've swam in Lake Superior, I know what cold water feels like.
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 7:04:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I grew up in N.H. is why I asked.
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 7:52:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I grew up in N.H. is why I asked.

I briefly considered a dip - it was pretty warm up there.  Then I realized that would be foolish.
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 5:12:00 AM EDT
[#13]
I made that hike several times as a kid back in the 1960s.
Thanks for bring back some wonderful memories.
John
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 5:14:17 AM EDT
[#14]
damn

Link Posted: 6/28/2013 5:21:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Wow.

My thoughts exactly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top