Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2013 2:48:03 PM EDT
Awhile back, I did a "For post 1,000" thred (see it here) about the wire stock I finally got around to fitting to my AK.  Here's what she looks like, just in case you are that last guy on earth who has no idea what one looks like (and also b/c, attention slut that I am, I just cannot resist posting my pix yet again ):

Welp, last Wednesday I took her out to the range, and found her SURPRISINGLY easy on the shoulder.  Understand, my only experience with folding stocks prior to this was on pump 12 gauges, which... back up a little.

But this one was honestly not at all that painful of an experience.  123 gr. @ 2,396 ft/s vs. 1 oz. slugs (437.5 grains) @ 1,300 ft/s is obviously an object lesson in that whole F=ma thang.  Not quite as easy on you as the full fixed stock, but hardly a Marquis de Sade moment, either.  Only thing I found was to just lightly rest it into the shoulder pocket, rather than pulling it in as I would with a pump 12.

But I did feel the wire of the stock on my face a few times, so this treatment is definitely in order:

Strangely, tho, I found it now hits WAY high; I was having to hold well below random targets to hit them.  Don't think it hit that way before (I'm not the kind to not sight in a new rifle before I put it back in the safe ), so I can only conclude the change in stock drastically affected the impact point.  But, given how overall agreeable the folding stock is to shoot, I intend to leave it on so it is ready for FSA/tennis-racquet bag duty, so I will simply make another range trip to sight it in with this new arrangement.  If nothing else, for others who are considering getting one of these stocks, I can now give it my blessing.

tl;dr crowd: folding wire stock on AK good.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 2:56:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Cheek weld.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 2:57:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cheek weld.
View Quote

Is that saying "You can not haz it"?
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 2:57:43 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 7/21/2013 2:59:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cheek weld.

Lack of cheek weld is why wire stocks really are that bad.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 3:05:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cheek weld.

Welp, I'm wondering if the whole cheeky weld thing isn't overrated.  On a target gun, sure, but this ain't no target gun & was never intended to be.  Idea is to get "minute-of-Skittles-muncher" from 0-200 yds.  If I was looking for more than that, I would carry the Garand or M1A, not an AK.  Remember its design parameters; for that I think a no-cheek-weld stock is fine.  Remember the old military axiom, "firepower should be sacrificed for mobility" (who said that, anyway?).
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 3:07:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I love the wire stock, on the right AK

It's about the most compact folding option you can buy. They go well on smaller, shorter AK's, like Draco SBRs or 103K models.

Cheek weld isn't great, but the stock is good for certain applications. Cold as hell in the winter though!
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 3:08:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Welp, I'm wondering if the whole cheeky weld thing isn't overrated.  On a target gun, sure, but this ain't no target gun & was never intended to be.  Idea is to get "minute-of-Skittles-muncher" from 0-200 yds.  If I was looking for more than that, I would carry the Garand or M1A, not an AK.  Remember its design parameters; for that I think a no-cheek-weld stock is fine.  Remember the old military axiom, "firepower should be sacrificed for mobility" (who said that, anyway?).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cheek weld.

Why not go with an ACE folder then?  You get a decent cheek weld AND a light folder.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 3:09:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Patrick Ewing preferred them with the tactical life vest.

Link Posted: 7/21/2013 3:09:14 PM EDT
[#9]
OP, nice lookin' AK.  The para cord looks like the way to go.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 3:11:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I have tried to like the various forms of the wire stock for the AK and I cannot come to love it. I bought them for compactness and ease of installation. I took them off and went right back to the standard stock. I have contemplated a BERYL stock and I may try that in the future but the wire folders plain suck.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 3:13:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Triangle sidefolder > *.wire_stock
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 3:14:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Why not go with an ACE folder then?  You get a decent cheek weld AND a light folder.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cheek weld.

Looked hard at the Ace, but a poster online pointed out that with the wire stock, you can still access the safety.  Decided to (literally!) start @ square 1 & go from there, and see what Unca Ivan knew that I didn't.  Ace is surely on the short list, tho; but since I've found I'm OK with the wire stock on this gun, I guess that just means I'll have to leave it on there, and buy more AKs to put different stocks on.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 3:19:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Meh. I think they are  ugly as sin

Sorry
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 3:25:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Meh. I think they are  ugly as sin

Sorry
View Quote

Stupid... erm, ugly is as ugly does.  Or, to mangle another quote, "If it's stupid ugly but it works, it isn't ugly."
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 3:31:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Ill post an actual explanation when I'm on a computer instead of a phone, but adjusting the sights like you mentioned in the OP isn't going to work all that well.  

Link Posted: 7/21/2013 3:33:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Triangle sidefolder > *.wire_stock
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/21/2013 3:35:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Looked hard at the Ace, but a poster online pointed out that with the wire stock, you can still access the safety.  Decided to (literally!) start @ square 1 & go from there, and see what Unca Ivan knew that I didn't.  Ace is surely on the short list, tho; but since I've found I'm OK with the wire stock on this gun, I guess that just means I'll have to leave it on there, and buy more AKs to put different stocks on.
View Quote
Can't you choose which way the ACE folds?
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 3:38:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only if you pay for the option.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 3:42:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes.  IMO, the ACE stock is about as good as it gets if you want a folding AK stock.  I have a better cheek weld with it than I do the traditional Russian folding stocks.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 3:42:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Ill post an actual explanation when I'm on a computer instead of a phone, but adjusting the sights like you mentioned in the OP isn't going to work all that well.  

View Quote

Waiting on the inflammation.  "A rifle you can't hit with ain't worth beans." - me.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 4:08:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Still on my phone, but I'm bored and have some down time.  Sorry if this is abbreviated.

Okay, long story short:  when using a rifle, 4 things need to line up for an accurate shot: your eye, rear sight, front sight, target.  

When your eye shifts, it creates Parallax.  When you look at the cars speedometer from the passenger seat, you see a different speed than the driver sees.  Same effect.  

A basic, consistent cheek weld ensures correct alignment.  Without a way to create a consistent and repeatable cheek weld, your eyes will never line up exactly the same way with the sights from session to session, so adjusting the sights is going to do fuck all for accuracy without a repeatable cheek weld.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 4:14:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Does anyone sell a Valmet style stock?
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 4:19:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Still on my phone, but I'm bored and have some down time.  Sorry if this is abbreviated.

Okay, long story short:  when using a rifle, 4 things need to line up for an accurate shot: your eye, rear sight, front sight, target.  

When your eye shifts, it creates Parallax.  When you look at the cars speedometer from the passenger seat, you see a different speed than the driver sees.  Same effect.  

A basic, consistent cheek weld ensures correct alignment.  Without a way to create a consistent and repeatable cheek weld, your eyes will never line up exactly the same way with the sights from session to session, so adjusting the sights is going to do fuck all for accuracy without a repeatable cheek weld.
View Quote

Hmmmm.  Doubting Thomas that I am, I am gonna hafta conduct some experiments on that.  Thanx for the input.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 4:21:38 PM EDT
[#24]
I've used that stock a lot on various AKs, it's my favorite AK folding stock.  My only mod would be to sand a piece of wood into a cheek rest, and mount it to the top to allow sufficient cheek weld.
It's a helluva lot more solid than any underfolder.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 4:24:22 PM EDT
[#25]
I have an adapter that adds a top bar to a wire stock and allows a cheek weld. I can't remember who makes it though.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 4:25:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Hmmmm.  Doubting Thomas that I am, I am gonna hafta conduct some experiments on that.  Thanx for the input.
View Quote

At 25 yards, you'll still be able to hit a man sized target pretty easily.  At 100-200, things start getting more difficult.  It's doable, but you'll never be as accurate with that kind of stock as you could be with the rifle.  

Consistency is important.  Wire stocks aren't great for that.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 4:29:40 PM EDT
[#27]
I've got one on my East German -74 look alike. It's amazing how light and compact they make a rifle. I don't intend to shoot that rifle in any competitions any time soon anyway.

Link Posted: 7/21/2013 5:26:56 PM EDT
[#28]
I put an EG folder on my SAR-1 and did the paracord wrap. It's not bad, especially since I added an FSE Combloc-type recoil pad to it to increase the LOP. Even though I'm only 5'6" the LOP on this stock is too short with no butt pad.

Link Posted: 7/21/2013 5:27:56 PM EDT
[#29]
OP, I really like what you did with the stock!
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 9:23:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have an adapter that adds a top bar to a wire stock and allows a cheek weld. I can't remember who makes it though.

View Quote

http://www.amd65tech.com/expertise.html
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 9:50:32 AM EDT
[#31]
I have one.  They're horrible for shooting but are easy enough to put on and take off.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 10:04:56 AM EDT
[#32]
I hate the damn things.   If I ever get around to shooting the CAI tantal that I bought some time ago to see if it keyholes or not, I will take that ugly-ass, nonfunctional stock off first and replace it with a stock that functions.  The person who invented the wire buttstock had too much vodka that day.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 10:30:14 AM EDT
[#33]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, that's it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 10:36:36 AM EDT
[#34]
needs more paki tape and paki whore sticker to make for halal
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 11:51:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I put an EG folder on my SAR-1 and did the paracord wrap. It's not bad, especially since I added an FSE Combloc-type recoil pad to it to increase the LOP. Even though I'm only 5'6" the LOP on this stock is too short with no butt pad.

http://flintlock.org/pics/var/resizes/Kalashnikovs/SAR1.jpg?m=1314053793

View Quote

That's pretty hot looking!  Am gonna hafta do that w/ the forestock as well next, plastic that won't take on water.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 11:53:52 AM EDT
[#36]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interdasting, but it takes away one of the main reasons I got a wire stock, which was it allows access to the safety with it folded.

Will simply have to try shooting @ 100 yds. or so & see what I get.  In theory, so long as your sights are aligned, you should get the same results every time, whether you hold it upside down, sideways, or whatever.  So long as sight alignment is good, the shot should be good.  We'll see.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 11:55:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
needs more paki tape and paki whore sticker to make for halal
View Quote

Aloha snackbar!  And here I am, all out of paki tape.  Do got plenty of paracord, anyway...
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 12:04:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Where did you get the stock, OP?
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 12:09:55 PM EDT
[#39]
I've been looking for one for sale havent come across one.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 12:19:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

The font of all things kewl: e-barf.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 12:30:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ebay?  I thought firearms parts were verboten with them?
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 12:34:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I have tried to like the various forms of the wire stock for the AK and I cannot come to love it. I bought them for compactness and ease of installation. I took them off and went right back to the standard stock. I have contemplated a BERYL stock and I may try that in the future but the wire folders plain suck.
View Quote

For looks I love the underfolder, but my wire stock AK is more accurate. (I haven't switched stocks and seen if it is because one has a better barrel.)

Standard stocks? If I plan to do a lot of accurate shooting, I prefer a fixed stock, but folding are awful nice if you are hiking or getting into and out of a vehicle.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 1:59:20 PM EDT
[#43]
I agree/ I love mine, and have no issues getting a cheek weld.

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 2:05:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIREARMS are verboten; all other gun parts are A-OK (money talks & all that).  Go to "sporting goods" and you can find your hearts' desire.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:59:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

FIREARMS are verboten; all other gun parts are A-OK (money talks & all that).  Go to "sporting goods" and you can find your hearts' desire.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, hell... 5 or 6 years ago, I had some Tapco AR15 furniture on auction on eBay (purchased before I knew any better), and the auction got shit-canned by their staff because it was "assault weapon parts" or some such nonsense.  I haven't even bothered looking for gun stuff since then.  Guess I need to revisit.  I wonder if they changed their policy, or if I just got "lucky" and attracted the attention of some bed-wetting hoplophobe?
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:02:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

huh?

Just rotate whichever folding mechanism you have 180*.

It ain't rocket surgery.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top