Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/31/2013 8:49:49 AM EDT
Got in some silhoutte targets from Widener's.  I need to build target stands and am looking for ideas.  The stands need to be able to break down for transport and storage.  The plate needs to be angled or be able to swing to help them last longer.  

The stands would have to be made from wood as I don't have access to a welder, plus I get a lot of free wood from pallets and shipping crates.
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 8:58:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Plant hangers, 2 per target. They're used to hold potted plants in your yard. They look sort of like a question mark.
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 9:12:24 AM EDT
[#2]
When I redo it I will probably have two unconnected bases for the legs, but this really worked well in the wind.

Backing is an election sign, but you could just leave it out and hang a gong in there.

Link Posted: 7/31/2013 9:17:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I use one of these:

I made cross arms to hold steel plates hung by chains.
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 9:55:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Made up a few stands out of PVC a few years ago. They work pretty well once you put some sand in the bottom to stabilize it from the wind.

Working out of town so I can't take a pic of mine, but here's one from the web that looks similar.
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 9:59:18 AM EDT
[#5]

Tagged for ideas
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 10:05:37 AM EDT
[#6]
How to make your own

You're welcome.
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 10:08:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 7/31/2013 10:27:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
<a href="http://s42.photobucket.com/user/taylorwso/media/targetstandside.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e303/taylorwso/targetstandside.jpg</a>

View Quote

Would love to have two of the targets as angled instead of swinging targets for pistol practice.  Is that smaller plate on the support rod just a shelf that the target plate sits on?  Would have to farm out metal work to do something like this as I only have wood working tools.

Link Posted: 7/31/2013 10:28:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Pallet with holes in it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 10:33:03 AM EDT
[#10]

Used to do that on the family farm in Iowa.  Shooting in the desert in Arizona and not a lot of room inside the Equinox to get the targets and shooting gear out there.  Thought about making saw horses to hang the swinging targets from but haven't figured out how to be able to remove the legs easily for transport.
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 10:35:43 AM EDT
[#11]
This isn't my pic or my stand but almost exactly like mine-

I don't glue mine together so it comes apart and I put it in a small duffle bag to take with me wherever I need it.
I also use nylon ties holding big paper clips on the top pipe to hold targets. Very simple, cheap and portable.
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 10:39:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Used to do that on the family farm in Iowa.  Shooting in the desert in Arizona and not a lot of room inside the Equinox to get the targets and shooting gear out there.  Thought about making saw horses to hang the swinging targets from but haven't figured out how to be able to remove the legs easily for transport.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Here toy go:
Sawhorse brackets
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 10:47:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Here toy go:
Sawhorse brackets
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here toy go:
Sawhorse brackets

Where have these been all my life?
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 10:49:37 AM EDT
[#14]
" />

thought I had more of this, it's made from scrap PVC and wood screws..68" tall 32" wide

will look for a better pic..

cost was bupkis..
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 10:52:30 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't have any pictures handy but my steel target hanger is pretty simply and comes apart for easy transport.

Picture a saw horse with 2x3 legs, and a piece of rebar for the top piece.
Bolt a piece of fire hose or bailer belting to your target.     On the other end of the belt/hose form a loop and bolt the belt to itself.

For each side screw two 2x3s together at an angle to form the legs.  Drill a hole through legs near the top big enough to provide clearance for the piece of rebar.

To set up the target just hang your plate by the belt/hose loop on the rebar, and stick the rebar through the holes in the legs.

When your done it come apart into 4 pieces, target, two legs, and piece of rebar.  It also lays nice and flat for transport.
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 10:52:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Here toy go:
Sawhorse brackets
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here toy go:
Sawhorse brackets

I could probably drill the top holes out on that and run a couple of bolts through so I can collapse the legs after use.  Think I am going to try that for the swinging targets.  Would still like to build a couple of angled non-swinging target stands, maybe something with springs to help absorb the impact some?
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 10:54:37 AM EDT
[#17]

This one is 20" wide, but I have built them in several sizes, up to 36".

The 36" I run my full size IPSC Metric on.

Link Posted: 7/31/2013 11:03:59 AM EDT
[#18]

Do you have that strapped around the rock to keep it from sliding down the hill?
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 11:08:08 AM EDT
[#19]

Smart.

Link Posted: 7/31/2013 11:08:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Nope, just adjusted the base 2x4s for lean, and threw a few good sized rocks on the uphill side. I put it up about a month ago, need to go check on it this weekend (maybe) and see if it's still upright. Private land.
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 11:09:09 AM EDT
[#21]

whoops, sorry, not portable, RIF

AR500 from Wideners

Orange Safety chain, bolts/washers from Home Depot

Spruce logs from my property

Link Posted: 7/31/2013 11:55:13 AM EDT
[#22]
I first started making my own target stands to hold a 24"x48" precut pieces of plywood that you can buy at lowes or Home Depot for $2-$8.00 each.

Then I got my CNC plasma table and I started making my own steel targets, so I modified the bases to hold the steel hangers. Here are a few I have made.

Link Posted: 7/31/2013 12:01:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Made this a few weeks ago.

Link Posted: 7/31/2013 12:04:26 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a baseball rebounder like the one below.  Once the elastic bands that hold the net wore out I was going to get rid of it when I thought it would make a good target holder.  It would probably be good for bow targets, but I have not used it for that yet.    

Link Posted: 7/31/2013 12:14:27 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Smart.

View All Quotes

In Nevada, you're generally contending with either broken ground, or wind. It's generally a PITA to drive stakes in, so I like this design because I can run longer 2x4s to provide resistance from blowing over, and it works out well for setups on hillsides as well. The best part is that the uprights and horizontals are interchangeable. The 2x4s flat towards you is counter intuitive, but it means misses have a harder time removing material (damn near self healing with rifle rounds) and more material that needs to be removed. We've done FA shoots with these stands and failed to cut the 2x4s.

Link Posted: 7/31/2013 12:24:10 PM EDT
[#26]
I have the same targets and I just got a Saw horse kit and make it.
On the top board I put rows of nails standing vertical and just set the chain on the nail.
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 12:25:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

In Nevada, you're generally contending with either broken ground, or wind. It's generally a PITA to drive stakes in, so I like this design because I can run longer 2x4s to provide resistance from blowing over, and it works out well for setups on hillsides as well. The best part is that the uprights and horizontals are interchangeable. The 2x4s flat towards you is counter intuitive, but it means misses have a harder time removing material (damn near self healing with rifle rounds) and more material that needs to be removed. We've done FA shoots with these stands and failed to cut the 2x4s.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I've built some bases for cardboard targets and used super cheap wood furring strips for replaceable uprights (sorry, no pictures).  They work great, but obviously are not stout enough to hang steel.

I'll definitely be stealing or borrowing parts of your design for the steel hangers I've been meaning to build.

Link Posted: 7/31/2013 12:26:19 PM EDT
[#28]
These make great target holders although a little low for IPSC types but the great part is they are free for the taking and plentiful, especially during the part of the year when men and women who you do not know are telling you how they are going to fix your life if you elect them.  

Link Posted: 7/31/2013 12:29:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Made up a few stands out of PVC a few years ago. They work pretty well once you put some sand in the bottom to stabilize it from the wind.

Working out of town so I can't take a pic of mine, but here's one from the web that looks similar.
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/1286/screenshot20100701at604.png
View Quote

mine are pretty similar
built out of 1.5" pvc the t connectors are perfect size for a 2"x2" to fit in

the bases cost less than $2 and the wood cost a buck or two
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 12:37:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 12:37:39 PM EDT
[#31]
What type of chain do you use on the steel gongs?

I shot mine off. I tried cable and that broke in 1 hit.
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 12:43:45 PM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 7/31/2013 12:46:43 PM EDT
[#33]
I've got this in the yard for throwing hawks, but it would work great for shooting as well, although it's heavy.
It's free though, if you have a chainsaw, and a drill.

Link Posted: 7/31/2013 1:01:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Dam..and here I thought everyone just stole House for sale signs like folks do around here.
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 1:13:38 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote
1/4" nickle plated. Haven't shot one through yet, though I'm sure we will at some point. We had a HTF range day about a month ago, and had a bunch of my stands and targets out, and multiple thousands of rounds down range. Only issue with the targets/stands we had was nuts backing off the bolts holding the targets (will use lock washers/nuts or double nut in the future).

Link Posted: 7/31/2013 1:19:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 1:31:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
1/4" nickle plated. Haven't shot one through yet, though I'm sure we will at some point. We had a HTF range day about a month ago, and had a bunch of my stands and targets out, and multiple thousands of rounds down range. Only issue with the targets/stands we had was nuts backing off the bolts holding the targets (will use lock washers/nuts or double nut in the future).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What size box steel did you use?  I might be able to get a local shop make something like this up.  The terrain I have to shoot on isn't very flat and the only way to get any kind of distance (150 meters, maybe) is to put the target halfway up a hill sides.  I picked the small targets to help compensate for the lack of distance.
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 1:40:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

I use the same design. I got it from Old_Painless on his site. He has directions.
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 1:41:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Go to hardware store, Home Despot, Loews...look for scrap/cull 2x4s
- get a 3-4 foot "post" and enough to make this...I measured hole using a 2x4 as a negative. Screwed them in. For wind-put a rock on the backside.
 Bases stack flat, posts "bundle".

- go to www.shootsteel.com. Buy the post bracket~12.00? Drill two 3/8" holes on each side.
- buy nylon lock nuts and 6" bolts, washers and springs
- assemble this

I've shot mine with .22lr-30-06. As close as 25 yds with .223. The spall will get to the wood so be carefully but it will break down. Wood is cheep. The bracket is durable. We shoot this in club matches monthly. The plate hangs with a slight angle. The spring tension rings well.
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 1:45:24 PM EDT
[#40]

Link Posted: 7/31/2013 1:46:25 PM EDT
[#41]
I dont have any, because they are provided at the club.
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 1:47:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have one of these BUT made out of some 1" square tubing. For steel we use these.  1/2" solid rod we bent and welded stock to hold the cross piece.
welders, pipe benders and a neighbor who scraps helps keep overhead down.

Link Posted: 7/31/2013 1:53:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 2:11:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Good Ideas...

I like to make .22lr swingers with some PVC pipe and 3" dia 1/8" thick cold roll steel
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 2:12:45 PM EDT
[#45]
I've got a few realty sign frames for paper targets . Attach a length of 2x4 across the top to staple to , and when the 2x4 gets shot out ,you just replace it . Ive finally shot out the steel frame on the first one I made about 4-5 years ago .

I picked up a bunch of scrap 3/4 rebar at the dump last month , enough to weld up some fine stands for swingers , but I still keep looking for some decent plate to chop up .
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 2:26:58 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
What size box steel did you use?  I might be able to get a local shop make something like this up.  The terrain I have to shoot on isn't very flat and the only way to get any kind of distance (150 meters, maybe) is to put the target halfway up a hill sides.  I picked the small targets to help compensate for the lack of distance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No square tubing or box steel was harmed in the making of my stands. It's 3" wide 0.375" thickness angle iron, with 0.375" plate that's been thrown into a press to make channel that holds a rough cut 2x4 snug, or a finished 2x4 with a little slop, and then welded to the angle iron as shown. The top plate is AR500 so that my high misses don't just punch through. It may have gone a bit beyond the normal home build.

Link Posted: 7/31/2013 2:32:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I have one of these BUT made out of some 1" square tubing. For steel we use these.  1/2" solid rod we bent and welded stock to hold the cross piece.
welders, pipe benders and a neighbor who scraps helps keep overhead down.
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u129/51jim/gun%20pic%20place/100_1323_zps68f069d9.jpg
View Quote

The problem with all wood stands for steel is that pieces of bullet jacket and lead get embedded into the wood and it will slice your hands to shreds if you aren't careful.

Here's my variation on the above rebar style target stand.  I needed a "no weld" solution for portable stands and this is what I came up with.
Cheap and easy to replace anything that gets hit or screwed up.

Parts list:
(2) 2x4 scraps, 10"-12" long
(5) 1/2" x 4 ft. rebar
(1) 3/4" pvc or conduit section, 12"-14" long (this spacer keeps your chains from sliding together and having the target spin left-right)

Drill blind holes in the 2x4 to stick your rebar legs in and a thru hole for your cross bar.

Thread your chain and spacer onto the crossbar or use snap links to make it easier.

Use extra nuts/washers on the back of the bolts to get a good 10-15 degree angle on your steel.

Sorry for the bad pics, but you can probably get the idea.

Link Posted: 7/31/2013 2:52:31 PM EDT
[#48]
OP, you shooting steel, right?  A basic stand for cardboard is easy to make.  I don't have any skills/tools for metal fab.  

A few months ago I picked up a couple of steel targets and stands on Woot.com.  In fact today, they have a similar stand, but its rated for rimfire only.  Not sure, but the heavier steel targets may be discontinued, or they may show up on Woot again in the future.  They are made by "Do All Outdoors", and are very portable.  The stands I purchased were for .38 - 44 mag, and are holding up well for my use (full power 10mm @ 15 yards).  The metal target plate sits in the stand, and pivots on a spring hing.  When the steel target wears out, I plan to just get another plate to sit in the base.  Not bad for a $35 purchase.

The system is very portable and breaks down for easy carry.  The pic below shows the target base unassembled.  Someone will metal fab skills could build something similar.  

Link Posted: 7/31/2013 2:53:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Nope, just adjusted the base 2x4s for lean, and threw a few good sized rocks on the uphill side. I put it up about a month ago, need to go check on it this weekend (maybe) and see if it's still upright. Private land.
View Quote

You anywhere in the Carson city area?

I have stuff out in the hills I leave out too...
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 3:31:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
OP, you shooting steel, right?  A basic stand for cardboard is easy to make.  I don't have any skills/tools for metal fab.  

A few months ago I picked up a couple of steel targets and stands on Woot.com.  In fact today, they have a similar stand, but its rated for rimfire only.  Not sure, but the heavier steel targets may be discontinued, or they may show up on Woot again in the future.  They are made by "Do All Outdoors", and are very portable.  The stands I purchased were for .38 - 44 mag, and are holding up well for my use (full power 10mm @ 15 yards).  The metal target plate sits in the stand, and pivots on a spring hing.  When the steel target wears out, I plan to just get another plate to sit in the base.  Not bad for a $35 purchase.

The system is very portable and breaks down for easy carry.  The pic below shows the target base unassembled.  Someone will metal fab skills could build something similar.  
http://d3gqasl9vmjfd8.cloudfront.net/a37cbba9-45e4-4dfd-a0c2-9317e79b82cc.jpg

View Quote

Like shooting steel, love the immediate feedback.  I have nearly zero metal skill and tools.  I can drill holes and bolt stuff up but that's about it.  I have a lot more options with wood.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top