Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/8/2013 10:28:51 AM EDT
Is this stuff bad?  Is it easily spread?

One of my kids friends has it that he has played with recently, should I be concerned?
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 10:29:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Yup...not good for the little ones
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 10:30:43 AM EDT
[#2]
It is very serious.  Your child is likely fine, but err on the side of caution.
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 10:32:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I've had it...Twice...bad stuff.  Very Painful.  Not fun at all.  They say that once you have had it....it's easier to get it again.  Yes, it's very easy to spread if you touch it especially if you have open cuts....bug bites and so on.

The first time I got it, I had it on my bicep.  When I was cleaning it and trying to figure out what it was....I ended up having an itch on my chest from an old cut/scrap from a thorn.....when I scratched it, the scab came off and I instantly felt pain there.  With in an hour I had a hole on my chest that was the diameter of a quarter.  Lets just say I went to the doctor in a hurry.  By the time I got there, I had a high fever and was put on meds + pain meds.  

Most likely if this kid is out playing and he has it....it's most likely either gone, or almost gone.  It's very painful stuff and I can't imagine that some kid would be outside playing if it was serious.
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 10:32:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It is very serious.  Your child is likely fine, but err on the side of caution.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/8/2013 10:35:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes be concerned. My oldest son had a MRSA infection after a set of ear tubes and it was a freaking nightmare. Ears draining puss and it took weeks to get under control. This was years ago when it was still relatively uncommon and was misdiagnosed for over a month.

He got it again about two years ago on his nose and almost caused some scarring.

Nasty stuff, but not a lot to do until it starts showing up.
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 10:36:51 AM EDT
[#6]
MRSA is all over the place.  Those with open wounds or weakened immune systems are more susceptible.  

Your kid will be fine.  Hand washing, a shower, wash those clothes.
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 10:40:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Not treating it and allowing it in the bloodstream is a terrible way to go. Look on some message boards to see how bad it can get. Also the antibiotics are very strong and can fuck up your immune system pretty bad.
Hibicleanse soap is what you need to insure it is killed on surfaces and skin. Wash any clothing in hot water that he may have worn over the other kids house. I'm not OCD but MRSA and bedbugs scare the shit out of me.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 10:49:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
MRSA is all over the place.  Those with open wounds or weakened immune systems are more susceptible.  

Your kid will be fine.  Hand washing, a shower, wash those clothes.
View Quote

This. Keep everything as clean as possible. If any wounds get opened, clean immediately and apply bactrim ointment.
You'll have to get a prescription for it, but it will keep any MRSA from taking hold.
ETA I've had it and it's not fun. But probably 40 to 50% of the population have it on their skin anyway so it is not really that infectious.
Just don't let it take root by cleaning and dressing wounds ASAP. I keep hydrogen peroxide, bandaids, etc and the bactrim ointment handy.

NEOSPORIN is not effective against MRSA!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 8/8/2013 10:49:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks all, called the doc, he said to give him a bath with a 1/2 cup of bleach and swipe some neosporin in his nostrils.  

I'm going to do that to be on the safe side.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 10:51:27 AM EDT
[#10]
MRSA is everywhere.  When the wrong strain gets in the wrong place, then it causes problems.
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 10:56:33 AM EDT
[#11]
MRSA is a problem for everyone.  Especially the young and the elderly.   It seems that once you get it it never truely leaves your system.  Hospitals are the worst breeding grounds for MRSA here in the South.  My GD caught it while in the hospital and it has been a problem ever since.

GD
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 11:37:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Staph aureus is normal flora on your skin and respiratory tract. Some of it is resistant to methicillin. It doesn't mean its going to create a problem.

Some strains are resistant to more antibiotics and some secrete worse toxins. Hospital acquired ones can be bad.

He'll be fine. Wash his hands and stuff.

Link Posted: 8/8/2013 11:43:16 AM EDT
[#13]
very bad,  I have a stuff animal MRSA that is pretty cute though.  

Link Posted: 8/8/2013 11:53:42 AM EDT
[#14]
I heard is pretty common and most likely everybody that works in a hospital has it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 11:55:40 AM EDT
[#15]
It is nasty stuff.  Just played together...no I wouldn't worry about it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 11:57:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've had it...Twice...bad stuff.  Very Painful.  Not fun at all.  They say that once you have had it....it's easier to get it again.  Yes, it's very easy to spread if you touch it especially if you have open cuts....bug bites and so on.

The first time I got it, I had it on my bicep.  When I was cleaning it and trying to figure out what it was....I ended up having an itch on my chest from an old cut/scrap from a thorn.....when I scratched it, the scab came off and I instantly felt pain there.  With in an hour I had a hole on my chest that was the diameter of a quarter.  Lets just say I went to the doctor in a hurry.  By the time I got there, I had a high fever and was put on meds + pain meds.  

Most likely if this kid is out playing and he has it....it's most likely either gone, or almost gone.  It's very painful stuff and I can't imagine that some kid would be outside playing if it was serious.
View Quote

That isn't MRSA.  Nasty stuff but unless you have the immune system of bubble boy and you had some sort of mutated super MSRA it did not spread that fast.
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 12:01:19 PM EDT
[#17]
One of the best places to catch it is at the gym.
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 12:02:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That isn't MRSA.  Nasty stuff but unless you have the immune system of bubble boy and you had some sort of mutated super MSRA it did not spread that fast.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Umm...well that's what happened.  It may have taken a little bit longer for it to get that big....but not much longer.  I was freaking out.  Even had a culture test and it came back positive.  I have broken many bones and pulled muscles and what not....I've never been in as much pain as what I was when I had it.

My immune system was definitely weak.  I was getting sick on an average of 2 times per month or about 2 weeks for every 4. (No I don't have aids)  Just a very poor living environment and eating habits.   I'm much better now and I have moved from that mold infested place.  I'm actually on a daily medicine to help prevent it from happening again.  I think it's called Doxicycline?

I haven't been sick in over 6 months now.  Hard for me to believe....to be completely honest.  I'm happy about this.

Link Posted: 8/8/2013 12:02:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Got it in my foot when I was decking on a fishing boat offshore.

I thought it was a pimple at first and it got more and more painful. Finally, I decided that I would man up and cut it out with a knife and dump hydrogen peroxide on it. After half an hour of cutting and intermittently screaming and punching the bathroom wall, I pulled out a kernel the size of the end of my little finger.

Two days later, two more spots popped up right next to it and my foot swole up like a poisoned coon. I took my ass to the doctor and got some antibotics

Don't mess around with this stuff.
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 12:03:27 PM EDT
[#20]
My dad came down with a huge MRSA infection a few years ago.  He damn near died, and spent about 6 weeks in the hospital recovering and on a constant antibiotic drip.
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 12:08:05 PM EDT
[#21]
I've had it a few times and it sucks.  The treatment is a pain:  Bleach wipedown or lysol EVERYTHING that gets touched once a week.  Hibiclens your entire body for ten minutes a day before a shower.  This has to be done for a few weeks.  My poor kids had to go through it too, even though they had no signs they can still pass it along.  I haven't had it since the overboard treatment, but I keep a bottle of hibiclens to put on questionable "zits."
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 12:11:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Umm...well that's what happened.  I was freaking out.  Even had a culture test and it came back positive.  My immune system was definitely weak.  I was getting sick on an average of 2 times per month or about 2 weeks for every 4. (No I don't have aids)  Just a very poor living environment and eating habits.   I'm much better now and I have moved from that mold infested place.  I'm actually on a daily medicine to help prevent it from happening again.  I think it's called Doxicyline?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Umm...well that's what happened.  I was freaking out.  Even had a culture test and it came back positive.  My immune system was definitely weak.  I was getting sick on an average of 2 times per month or about 2 weeks for every 4. (No I don't have aids)  Just a very poor living environment and eating habits.   I'm much better now and I have moved from that mold infested place.  I'm actually on a daily medicine to help prevent it from happening again.  I think it's called Doxicyline?

Even the most aggressive flesh eating bacteria's don't spread that fast in an hour on immunocompromised PT's ...so no, you are either mistaken on your diagnosis or grossly exaggerating your situation...

Link Posted: 8/8/2013 12:12:58 PM EDT
[#23]
I got it in August 2011, damn near killed me. Hate to tell you that but it's true. The medicine they had me own was vancomiacin(sp?) whick shut down my kidneys and another round of MRSA a couple of months later.

Mine was in my right nostril, it had swollen to almost 3 times its normal size. Had to have a drain installed and forcibly drained. MASSIVE pain.

PLEASE keep your child away the other as it is highly contagious!! If I can be any more assistance, PM me your name and I'll tell you what I can.

l
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 12:18:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Even the most aggressive flesh eating bacteria's don't spread that fast in an hour on immunocompromised PT's ...so no, you are either mistaken on your diagnosis or grossly exaggerating your situation..

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even the most aggressive flesh eating bacteria's don't spread that fast in an hour on immunocompromised PT's ...so no, you are either mistaken on your diagnosis or grossly exaggerating your situation..

Diagnosis was MRSA.  I have no doubts as I saw the lab results.  The initial scab was a little bigger than a scratch...but not much.  I don't know what else to say.  It really did get that big and it didn't take much time at all.  I might have pictures....but that doesn't prove the time line any.

It may have taken longer as this was about 1.2 years ago when this happened and you know how stories can change.  I apologize If I was miss leading.  That is how I remember it though.  Oh well.  All I know is that I don't wish it on anyone.  

I do have a nice scar on my chest and arm from it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 12:25:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Someone say MRSA scar?

I broke my Tib/Fib and during the first surgery they put a plate and 18 screws in.  The hardware had MRSA on it.  7 surgeries and 6 months with an IV pump and bag later. I'm A-OK...  Minus for a sweet scar.
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 12:30:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Someone say MRSA scar?
http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff332/gimpyak/photo_zps404c9b00.jpg

I broke my Tib/Fib and during the first surgery they put a plate and 18 screws in.  The hardware had MRSA on it.  7 surgeries and 6 months with an IV pump and bag later. I'm A-OK...  Minus for a sweet scar.
View Quote

Wow....That's worse looking than mine...that's for sure.  Glad your better.

My scar caved in like that on my chest at first but it ended up filling out within a couple months.  I guess I got lucky.

The one that I had on my arm never ate any flesh and it just swelled up really bad and continuously leaked fluid.  I do have a scar on my arm, but it's not as visible as the one on my chest.
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 12:35:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Someone say MRSA scar?
http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff332/gimpyak/photo_zps404c9b00.jpg

View Quote

I'm not usually that guy, but I hope you got some settlement money out of that one.
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 12:37:40 PM EDT
[#28]
I got it in my stomach during a field operation.  First day it looked like a small zit, second it hurt really bad and was about 1/2" around, third it was bigger than a quarter.  At that point they took me to the hospital where it was lanced and drained - ie they had to dig around with a scalpel and pull crap out.  Went deep enough they had the scalpel burred almost to the hilt.  Spent the next couple weeks packing gauze in it every day.  Now its just another scar.        

Link Posted: 8/8/2013 12:37:51 PM EDT
[#29]
A large percentage of people have mrsa on them.  Swab you nares and you will see.  Especially health care workers.
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 12:42:28 PM EDT
[#30]
i had a little pimple on my leg and i played with it, then later that day my leg was in excruciating pain. When I looked at it it was swollen to almost my whole thigh and I developed a terrible fever. Went to the hospital and they put me on IV antibiotics for like a week before carving it out.

squigglies were the boundaries of the inflammation changing

I was pretty loaded on fentanyl and they said I could take pictures, they were making the initial incision

doesn't look too bad

getting knuckle deep, they had to dig out pus pockets and gas pockets that were tracking into the muscle

couple days later, in between packing. packing it twice a day fucking sucked.

how it looks now
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 12:44:10 PM EDT
[#31]
I read that as "MARSA", which is something completely different.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 12:45:48 PM EDT
[#32]
The wildest thing is 4 out of 5 people have the bacteria on their faces that causes this kind of thing and it never effects them.

I forget where I heard that.

My dad got a bad staph infection in his back from surgery. It looked like he had been impaled on a flag pole.
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 12:49:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The wildest thing is 4 out of 5 people have the bacteria on their faces that causes this kind of thing and it never effects them.

My dad got a bad staph infection in his back from surgery. It looked like he had been impaled on a flag pole.
View Quote

Staph loves the nostrils.  I don't know if my MRSA case came from the impetigo(infection of the nose) or the tonsillectomy I had done around the same time frame.
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 12:49:54 PM EDT
[#34]
There doesn't appear to be any evidence that MRSA is any more virulent than Methicillin-Sensitive S. Aureus:  http://cid.oxfordjournals.org/content/46/Supplement_5/S350.full

To date, there is no compelling evidence that MRSA, in general, is more virulent than MSSA.
View Quote

There are all kinds of virulence factors that may exist in different clonal SA types, but they are not unique to MRSA.  If you've never had a penetrating skin infection associated with Staph, you're probably not in any danger.  MRSA mostly just tends to cause more issues than MSSA when an infection DOES develop.
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 1:10:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
i had a little pimple on my leg and i played with it, then later that day my leg was in excruciating pain. When I looked at it it was swollen to almost my whole thigh and I developed a terrible fever. Went to the hospital and they put me on IV antibiotics for like a week before carving it out.

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy285/docrock184/ooze.jpg
squigglies were the boundaries of the inflammation changing

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy285/docrock184/incision.jpg
I was pretty loaded on fentanyl and they said I could take pictures, they were making the initial incision

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy285/docrock184/open.jpg
doesn't look too bad

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy285/docrock184/pinky.jpg
getting knuckle deep, they had to dig out pus pockets and gas pockets that were tracking into the muscle

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy285/docrock184/DSC00960.jpg
couple days later, in between packing. packing it twice a day fucking sucked.

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy285/docrock184/DSC00164.jpg
how it looks now
View Quote

That scar is what mine look like.
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 1:17:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Staff is a pita, but it has been with us since the dawn of time.  Luckily our immune system usually deals with it unless compromised, if not we throw antibiotics at it.  MERSA is another beast all together, kind of.  It's issue is it laughs at most of the antibiotics.

My mother bumped her arm at Thanksgiving.  For all intent purposes, she never came out of the hospital because of that.  The staff went fairly systemic.  Borderline kidney failure.  Extra stress caused heart and lung failure.  Emergency pacemaker kept the heart beating, she was only off the respirator a few weeks the rest of next 2 years.  Not really the MERSA direct fault, but it was the straw that broke the camels back.  She never regained the strength that battling cost.  It did take 1 full month in the hospital to get rid of the MERSA though.    
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 1:40:29 PM EDT
[#37]
If you really want to have a good time you can always have C-diff, MRSA, and good old VRE at the same time.
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 2:34:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

When it gets in places that are supposed to be sterile it reeks havok.

Another bad one is when strep pyogenes gets in places like tissue. No competition from normal flora and an endless food supply.

Link Posted: 8/8/2013 2:41:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
very bad,  I have a stuff animal MRSA that is pretty cute though.  

http://i43.tinypic.com/2zpqo11.jpg
View Quote

That tag is full of fail....
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 3:01:04 PM EDT
[#40]
I had it a few years ago, can't tell you how I got it, my guess is that I got it from work somehow...ended up getting it down below in the privates! My wife thought I was fucking around on her because it looked like what I thought could have been an STD. Went to the doc and get a call a couple days later telling me its not an STD, I said that's good...the nurse informed me otherwise and had to get on meds ASAP. Finally cleared up but not enjoyable.

My doc told me that pretty much everyone has it on there skin, it just affects some more than others.

And no I have never messed around on my wife.
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 3:04:58 PM EDT
[#41]
I had it several years ago--knee area. At one point, the doctor told me that if it didn't respond to medication within the following 48 hours, we were going to have a serious conversation about taking my leg above the knee.

So yes, it's serious. Treatable, but not something to fool around with.

Still have my leg.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top