Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/12/2013 6:30:43 PM EDT
Is it unrealistic to want an MRAP as a dd?  

I'm watching History channel and falling in love.  Can't wait til they start showing up at surplus sales in a decade or two.
(I'm not former .mil so I have no real world knowledge.  Just looks like a fun toy/bov)
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 6:33:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Without violating OPSEC, I will say this...

You don't want one.
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 6:33:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Real MRAPs will never show up in surplus sales.   They'll go to PDs, other State agencies, foreign military sales... and crushers.   But they won't be available for purchase by us peons.

A fake one was surplused out a few weeks ago out of Ohio.   It was basically a mild steel MRAP body on a 939 frame.  I wasn't going up to Ohio to get it so I didn't watch the auction closely, but I bet it went for a fuck ton of money.
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 6:34:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I'm watching History channel and falling in love.  Can't wait til they start showing up at surplus sales in a decade or two.
(I'm not former .mil so I have no real world knowledge.  Just looks like a fun toy/bov)
View Quote

Never going to happen. They will be pushed into the sea or abandoned and used against us and our allies in future wars.
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 6:35:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Real MRAPs will never show up in surplus sales.   They'll go to PDs, other State agencies, foreign military sales... and crushers.   But they won't be available for purchase by us peons.

A fake one was surplused out a few weeks ago out of Ohio.   It was basically a mild steel MRAP body on a 939 frame.  I wasn't going up to Ohio to get it so I didn't watch the auction closely, but I bet it went for a fuck ton of money.
View Quote

I remember the thread on that thing.  Wasn't the bidding at $40k or something right before it ended?
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 6:36:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I remember the thread on that thing.  Wasn't the bidding at $40k or something right before it ended?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dunno.  Wouldn't surprise me tho.

It'd have been cheaper to get a 939 for around 5 grand and just build a new body for it.   Fuck, 40 grand?   Got damn.
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 6:36:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Never going to happen. They will be pushed into the sea or abandoned and used against us and our allies in future wars.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't doubt you at all, but that's unfortunate.   Can't a kid get the cool toys every now and then?
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 6:36:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

You don't want one.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/12/2013 6:38:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Just get a deuce and a half and save your pennies. All the fun of having a government surplus truck, and at a fraction of the cost and IED survivability of an MRAP.
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 6:41:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It'd have been cheaper to get a 939 for around 5 grand and just build a new body for it.   Fuck, 40 grand?   Got damn.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Found it

$66,570

Link Posted: 8/12/2013 6:42:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just get a deuce and a half and save your pennies. All the fun of having a government surplus truck, and at a fraction of the cost and IED survivability of an MRAP.
View Quote

Entry price is pretty cheap too.  I might wanna flee the 'burbs first, though.  I'm sure the neighbors here would love it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 6:44:13 PM EDT
[#11]
They're really good at protecting soldiers from IEDs. They're also pretty good at fucking up soldiers in rollovers.

After driving a M1152 with a big ass box on the back in CONUS traffic, there's no way I'd want to attempt the same thing in an MRAP.
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 6:44:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Entry price is pretty cheap too.  I might wanna flee the 'burbs first, though.  I'm sure the neighbors here would love it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I currently have a M35A3 made in 93.  It's a fuckton nicer to drive than the '68 M35aa2 I was using before it.  Drove the A2 1200 miles back from WV.  Drove the A3 800 miles back from MI.   The WV trip was looooooooong and LOUD!!!!
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 6:45:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Found it

$66,570

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Found it

$66,570

The second one a few weeks later went for like 99k.

Link Posted: 8/12/2013 6:46:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck em.

Get one with a whistler turbo.

The price has steadily gone up on a deuce the past few years.   It's still reasonable, but I wouldn't wait too much longer.
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 6:46:32 PM EDT
[#15]
You don't want one.
View Quote

If you knew how many stuck MRAPs we flew overwatch for...
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 6:46:38 PM EDT
[#16]
How could you possibly afford to feed such a beast?
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 6:47:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Found it

$66,570

For that kind of money, you could import a Chieftain.   Jeeeeesus.
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 6:48:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Fuck em.

The price has steadily gone up on a deuce the past few years.   It's still reasonable, but I wouldn't wait too much longer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck em.

How are the 5Ts compared to the deuces?  I'd like to trade mine for a 5T but haven't done the research yet.
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 6:51:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Those SOCOM MATVs aren't to shabby. The end users seem to be decently pleased with them, for what they were.
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 6:52:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

How are the 5Ts compared to the deuces?  I'd like to trade mine for a 5T but haven't done the research yet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck em.

I got a 923a0.   Like night and day compared to an M35A2 as far as comfort in driving.   The power steering is literally 2 finger steering at a dead stop.

These days, I'd get the 5 ton.  If getting from auction.    Most of the deuces getting auctioned off now are pretty rough.

Prices vary greatly between 939s, 939a1s, and 939a2s.   Just depends on if you care about slightly bigger super singles, CTIS, and the 6CTA 8.3 vs the older NHC 250.   I went for a regular 939a0 because it was cheaper.   But the 6CTA is supposed to be alot more fuel efficient.

If you can swap a good condition deuce for a good condition 5 ton, I'd consider it a fair trade, personally.
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 6:53:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You don't want one.
View Quote

Caimans were the Cadillac MRAP, and even they sucked.

A cheap Duece and a half or 5 ton I can see, but if you want the MRAP experience, get a CDL, and drive a loaded 20 ton dump truck while sitting on a board.
Tape cardboard over the top and bottom six inches of each window too.  Wear PPE, drive in the heat with just enough AC to smell the cool.
Drive around sharing the road with a bunch of idiots for six hours and wait for something stupid to happen while your toes and fingers tingle with anticipation.

ETA:
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 6:56:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Those SOCOM MATVs aren't to shabby. The end users seem to be decently pleased with them, for what they were.
View Quote

More fun than an MRAP but they get stuck in the sand easily.
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 7:00:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You don't want one.
View Quote

+1, first post and all...
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 7:02:13 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote

Fuck yeah.

I'd rather have a UPS van for a daily driver.

Link Posted: 8/12/2013 7:11:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Having driven one and manning an open turret, I say no. Its kind of an up armored school bus.

Link Posted: 8/12/2013 7:11:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Considering that Government Liquidation just held an auction for roughly 400 HMMWVs that were required to be completely destroyed, your chances of getting an MRAP are somewhere between slim and none.

They will go to FEMA, DHS, Border Patrol, and Foreign Military Sales.  The American citizen will never own one, because your masters know what's best for you.

I feel real lucky to have gotten my Deuce and a Half.

LC
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 7:15:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I got a 923a0.   Like night and day compared to an M35A2 as far as comfort in driving.   The power steering is literally 2 finger steering at a dead stop.

These days, I'd get the 5 ton.  If getting from auction.    Most of the deuces getting auctioned off now are pretty rough.

Prices vary greatly between 939s, 939a1s, and 939a2s.   Just depends on if you care about slightly bigger super singles, CTIS, and the 6CTA 8.3 vs the older NHC 250.   I went for a regular 939a0 because it was cheaper.   But the 6CTA is supposed to be alot more fuel efficient.

If you can swap a good condition deuce for a good condition 5 ton, I'd consider it a fair trade, personally.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck em.

Mine's in pretty good shape with the only rust being on the fenders where they all rust if they've been in the north.

Link Posted: 8/12/2013 7:15:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Well shit- a kid can dream.  Back to looking at the 2.5/5t trucks.
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 7:25:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

A cheap Duece and a half or 5 ton I can see, but if you want the MRAP experience, get a CDL, and drive a loaded 20 ton dump truck while sitting on a board.
Tape cardboard over the top and bottom six inches of each window too.  Wear PPE, drive in the heat with just enough AC to smell the cool.
Drive around sharing the road with a bunch of idiots for six hours and wait for something stupid to happen while your toes and fingers tingle with anticipation.

ETA:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't want one.

ETA:

Caiman's are turds built on an FMTV chassis. The SOCOM variants are all pretty decent. My favorite is the MATV or the RG33-AUV. Still a pain in the ass to drive, but these things can pull some shit:

Link Posted: 8/12/2013 7:28:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Think smaller and newer, how bout some XM1117s?
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 7:30:24 PM EDT
[#31]
I'll take an MTVR.

Those things rock on or off road.

Add a conex converted to a camper.

Link Posted: 8/12/2013 7:30:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Ya. There great. If you hit the breaks to much you can't open the doors. Not bad survivability but some serious design flaws.
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 7:33:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Ya. There great. If you hit the breaks to much you can't open the doors. Not bad survivability but some serious design flaws.
View Quote

You know that there is a spelling error in your avatar.........right?
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 7:37:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still funny
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 7:42:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Still funny
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still funny

I agree.  Probably funnier since it is misspelled.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 7:47:26 PM EDT
[#36]
My back is still kinda fucked up from the two MRAP rollovers I was in. You dont want one, trust me.
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 7:47:44 PM EDT
[#37]
There was a retrofitted blast resistant troop transport on http://www.govliquidation.com/. IIRC starting bid was 45k.
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 7:56:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Real MRAPs will never show up in surplus sales.   They'll go to FEMA.   But they won't be available for purchase by us peons.

View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 7:57:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Has anyone mentioned getting a BRDM-2? At least the BRDM is amphibious....

http://sovietarmor.com/catalog/armored/brdm_2.html

Edit for link
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 8:02:34 PM EDT
[#40]
If you got the cash, go for a Maraduer out of south Africa. Top gear did a show on it, drove through walls and they set off c4 under it. Blew a tire from the blast but everything else was fine... Started it up and drove off.  They are north of 400k I believe and then there IA the whole problem if importing and licensing it here in the states.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 8:15:40 PM EDT
[#41]
The government would rather pay some one to get rid of them than sell them to the people. I would not want one, but I will take a HUMVEE. I have friends the work on those things they said changing the oil requires that you nearly tear the entire engine out.
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 8:22:42 PM EDT
[#42]
MRAPs get a lot of hate, but I've done things in them that I never thought would be possible in a truck that weighs that much.  99% of the issues come from the driver from what I've seen.  

A MATV would be a hell of a lot of fun with some/most of the armor removed.
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 9:12:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
If you got the cash, go for a Maraduer out of south Africa. Top gear did a show on it, drove through walls and they set off c4 under it. Blew a tire from the blast but everything else was fine... Started it up and drove off.  They are north of 400k I believe and then there IA the whole problem if importing and licensing it here in the states.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/12/2013 9:21:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Since we all had to get licensed before my last deployment, I was theoretically qualified to drive a MATV when we were critically undermanned for a mission. So here I am driving a MATV for the first time (license was pencil whipped by BN CDR\Team leader) down crowded urban streets and I can't see a god damn thing. The BN CDR is my TC and I'm like, "Jesus Christ sir, there's kids and goats everywhere. What if I hit one?" And he goes, "This thing weighs 20 tons, we probably won't even feel it!"
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 9:24:34 PM EDT
[#45]
The BAE Alligator looks pretty pimp as well...

Link Posted: 8/12/2013 9:46:31 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm holding out for one of the SOF-D Pinzgauers that recently came in...being refurbed now, probably a couple years before they're on the market. I shall enlarge the piggy bank.
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 10:12:13 PM EDT
[#47]
If you don't have an MRAP on the first day of the second American revolution, you'll have one on the second.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 10:16:40 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

If you don't have an MRAP on the first day of the second American revolution, you'll have one on the second.  
View Quote

Yeah, it'll be parked on your chest.

Link Posted: 8/12/2013 10:36:54 PM EDT
[#49]
MRAPs are good for what they are intended for, which is most certainly not what civilians would want them for.
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 10:40:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

99% of the MRAPs aren't in America.

Quoted:
My back is still kinda fucked up from the two MRAP rollovers I was in. You dont want one, trust me.

I bet it's the driver of those vehicles they don't want, not the trucks themselves.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top