BCM
User Panel

Page / 12
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:12:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll refrain from comment except to say thank you to VA gunnuts first comment and thank you to the poster who made the correction about the flag.
With that I will enjoy the ride on this one.

Aw hell, I can't resist:

FUCK A BUNCH OF YANKEES!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/19/William-Tecumseh-Sherman.jpg/472px-William-Tecumseh-Sherman.jpg

lol I knew it was coming.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:12:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Fuck'em:

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:13:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:14:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
We have many here who say the same thing, and believe the War of Northern Aggression was fought for the sole purpose freeing the slaves.
View Quote

I'm 25 and thought that for years. Not sure if it was taught in school or I got that impression off of tv. I still don't know completely what the whole thing was about, i'm under the impression it was more of a states rights vs federal rights thing?

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:15:22 AM EDT
[#5]
After all, they would know.

But, no.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:15:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:16:14 AM EDT
[#7]

My Home State flag is a "Fuck You" to the whole world...gotta love it!

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:16:37 AM EDT
[#8]
CNN.   LOL..  Must be a slow time in news.  Not like there is any story about how the government just wasted tons of money on heathcare.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:18:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

http://www.worldoffemale.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/mississippi-state-flag.jpg

View Quote

Sweet!
FUCK the Communist News Network and BHO!
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:20:09 AM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:21:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Why would I give a flying fuck what CNN thinks or says?
View Quote

*DING* *DING* *DING*

We have a winner!

The war of Northern Aggression was started illegally by President Abraham Lincoln after the member states of the CSA had exercised their lawful right to succeed from the Union.

I provide the above information in case, like me, you were educated up north.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:22:06 AM EDT
[#12]
CNN is still on the air? go figure.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:23:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Yea it was all about freeing the slaves.

When all the Confederate held slaves were free...The Union still had slavery.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:24:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Saying that slavery didn't play a role is as incorrect as saying it was entirely what the Civil War was fought over.  There was a mess of issues between the North and the South and slavery was very much a part of some of them and not others.  Like anything complicated, it's often easier to just say it was or wasn't caused by one issue.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:24:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Whoa, whoa, WHOA DAMMIT!!!

We can't be confusing people with facts here, dude!

Didn't you know that the victors get to re-write the history books? Democrats freed the slaves!

(theghostofanunreconstructedhun)

RIP, Dwayne...I really miss you when the North v. South threads pop up every Saturday.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
We have many here who say the same thing, and believe the War of Northern Aggression was fought for the sole purpose freeing the slaves.

I bet those folks went to Yankee government schools.

From Lincoln:

"If there be those who would not save the Union, unless they could at the same time save slavery, I do not agree with them. If there be those who would not save the Union unless they could at the same time destroy slavery, I do not agree with them. My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause."

Whoa, whoa, WHOA DAMMIT!!!

We can't be confusing people with facts here, dude!

Didn't you know that the victors get to re-write the history books? Democrats freed the slaves!

(theghostofanunreconstructedhun)

RIP, Dwayne...I really miss you when the North v. South threads pop up every Saturday.

But not enough to get his name right?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:24:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This CNN comedian/political hack claims that the confederate flag was a flag of traitors and racist and makes a small connection to the Tea Party. I really can't stand the government sponsored media.

link
View Quote

Well the Confederates were made up of Southern Democrats so I can see the traitor and racist angle.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:28:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:33:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Executive Mansion,
Washington, August 22, 1862.

Hon. Horace Greeley:
Dear Sir.

I have just read yours of the 19th. addressed to myself through the New-York Tribune. If there be in it any statements, or assumptions of fact, which I may know to be erroneous, I do not, now and here, controvert them. If there be in it any inferences which I may believe to be falsely drawn, I do not now and here, argue against them. If there be perceptable in it an impatient and dictatorial tone, I waive it in deference to an old friend, whose heart I have always supposed to be right.

As to the policy I "seem to be pursuing" as you say, I have not meant to leave any one in doubt.

I would save the Union. I would save it the shortest way under the Constitution. The sooner the national authority can be restored; the nearer the Union will be "the Union as it was." If there be those who would not save the Union, unless they could at the same time save slavery, I do not agree with them. If there be those who would not save the Union unless they could at the same time destroy slavery, I do not agree with them. My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause. I shall try to correct errors when shown to be errors; and I shall adopt new views so fast as they shall appear to be true views.

I have here stated my purpose according to my view of official duty; and I intend no modification of my oft-expressed personal wish that all men every where could be free.

Yours,
A. Lincoln.

Making heads explode with truth.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:36:54 AM EDT
[#19]
CNN is just filled with Low Life Liberals that Hate.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:37:16 AM EDT
[#20]
CNN=not a credible source.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:39:52 AM EDT
[#21]
You mean like flying a Hammer & Sickle in the Obama campaign headquarters?

If it makes CNN tiny little balls itch,  it's pretty much an endorsement
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:41:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
This CNN comedian/political hack claims that the confederate flag was a flag of traitors and racist and makes a small connection to the Tea Party. I really can't stand the government sponsored media.

link
View Quote

We already know that CNN is propaganda.

It's stupid to watch it.  That's what I think.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:44:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You can package it up however you want, but it was indeed about slavery.

View Quote

Because Lincoln never had aspirations of an all powerful central federal government?  

The Civil War was about slavery like the Revolutionary war was about tea.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:47:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Executive Mansion,

Hon. Horace Greeley:
Dear Sir.

I have just read yours of the 19th. addressed to myself through the New-York Tribune. If there be in it any statements, or assumptions of fact, which I may know to be erroneous, I do not, now and here, controvert them. If there be in it any inferences which I may believe to be falsely drawn, I do not now and here, argue against them. If there be perceptable in it an impatient and dictatorial tone, I waive it in deference to an old friend, whose heart I have always supposed to be right.

As to the policy I "seem to be pursuing" as you say, I have not meant to leave any one in doubt.

I would save the Union. I would save it the shortest way under the Constitution. The sooner the national authority can be restored; the nearer the Union will be "the Union as it was." If there be those who would not save the Union, unless they could at the same time save slavery, I do not agree with them. If there be those who would not save the Union unless they could at the same time destroy slavery, I do not agree with them. My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause. I shall try to correct errors when shown to be errors; and I shall adopt new views so fast as they shall appear to be true views.

I have here stated my purpose according to my view of official duty; and I intend no modification of my oft-expressed personal wish that all men every where could be free.

Yours,
A. Lincoln.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:53:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

http://www.worldoffemale.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/mississippi-state-flag.jpg

View Quote

I didn't know the confederacy was so big in Yugoslavia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Yugoslavia
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:55:04 AM EDT
[#26]
The Confederate Flag is a symbol that has been harnessed by many different groups.  It is undeniable, that it is a symbol that is used by White Power groups, and it is ALSO undeniable that it is a symbol that represents polite, little old ladies whose ancestors fought for the South.

It represents patriotism OR treason, depending of the intent and the context.

Of course, an American Flag is always a more patriotic symbol.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:56:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Sure, if you disagree with "them" of course you are a traitor.

They also seem to forget that "they" disagree with you, too.

Too righteous and selfish to understand....
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:02:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
By that logic, the American flag is also a flag of traitors. It comes down to whether you believe that breaking off and establishing your own country is treason.
View Quote

This +1,000,000

And once again they show the battle flag, not the CSA National.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:03:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Grow up in the south and experience legitimate racism from people that rock nothing but Conf. battle flags and you're going to associate the flag with racism.  Get told stories of burning crosses and sheets standing in the yards of your not so distant relatives while flying the flag and you'll likely begin to associate the flag with racism.  These are my experiences.  I do automatically associate the confederate flag with racism but I don't automatically assume someone with it on their shirt or bandana or truck is racist.  

Southerners were not traitors they were people who wanted to preserve their way of life. Wholly understandable, though wholly immoral and racist. Slavery was the driver of the southern economy. The obvious threat to it was definitely a big reason for secession.  It was pretty much THE reason for SC, GA, MS and TX.  "States rights" did in fact mean "states rights to retain, use, and expand slave labor."  

The North didn't fight specifically to end slavery (at first), but the south definitely fought to keep it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:04:37 AM EDT
[#30]
When the war started, Union states  Delaware, Maryland, Missouri, Kentucky, New Jersey, and the capital of the Union, Washington DC, all had slavery.

Why didn't they free their own slaves before they invaded the South?

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:08:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Everyone knows Jefferson Davis and Abe Lincoln gathered the entire population of the United States together in 1861 and chose sides.  "everyone who hates black people, over here with Jeff, everyone who likes black people, go with Abe."
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:09:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-MLcd3Xxz_h0/T9ZEwfTvHUI/AAAAAAAAHnc/KN-HGHw5tVM/s1600/confederat+flag+t+shirt.jpg

i do enjoy grits though....  

We are ALL AMERICANS!

http://www.4thfest.org/images/donations/flagraising.jpg

i have no hate towards anyone, north, south, east, west
View Quote

You can't call anyone a loser when you live in New York.  How are those 7 round mags doing for you?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:09:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

link
View Quote

Many counted the flag on your avatar as a flag of traitors.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:09:40 AM EDT
[#34]
CNN is the news network of oppression, there now we're even.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:10:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

I recently watched a documentary indicating it was about fighting vampires affiliated with the South.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:13:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Executive Mansion,

Hon. Horace Greeley:
Dear Sir.

Yours,
A. Lincoln.

That's nice. You're right, the North didn't fight the war to free the slaves. However, the South seceded with the purpose of retaining their "right" to slaves. The historical record is unambiguous on this count. That's why they feared Lincoln; he was an abolitionist (i.e. Republican). Many Southern states didn't even allow his name to appear on the presidential ballot. He hadn't even taken office before Southern states began seceding. In the articles of secession that many of the Southern states passed... the most important issue was slavery.

So yes, you're right, the North didn't fight to free the slaves. But the South fought to keep them.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:13:50 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View Quote

Hear, hear.  FCNN

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:13:56 AM EDT
[#38]
“I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in anyway the social and political equality of the white and black races – that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race..."

...Abraham Lincoln

Fourth Debate with Stephen A. Douglas at Charleston, Illinois, September 18, 1858
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:14:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I recently watched a documentary indicating it was about fighting vampires affiliated with the South.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably about as accurate as what's taught in public school.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:14:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
CNN is trolling.  Bring back "racism" to the national debate when Zero's signature accomplishment is imploding on rollout?  Obvious to the extent that it's laughable.

Different point:

Since this will inevitably devolve into a fuck Lincoln confederate circle jerk before page 3...., I'll just get this in now:   Those Southerners who sanctify the Confederates to the extent where they will not allow for the fact that there were "some" (at least) honorable and courageous men fighting in the United States Army from 1861-65 are beneath contempt.  There were honorable, and dare I say it, brave men fighting for the Union.  I understand that you honor your heritage, but I also honor mine.
View Quote

How does it feel being from the north knowing that blacks were segregated from white troops and led by a white officer, yet in the south, black fought along side of whites?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:15:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Virginia told Lincoln not to march his troops into our state, the heart of the Confederacy was born because the Feds were too big for their britches.

History repeats itself.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:16:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

That's nice. You're right, the North didn't fight the war to free the slaves. However, the South seceded with the purpose of retaining their "right" to slaves. The historical record is unambiguous on this count. That's why they feared Lincoln; he was an abolitionist (i.e. Republican). Many Southern states didn't even allow his name to appear on the presidential ballot. He hadn't even taken office before Southern states began seceding. In the articles of secession that many of the Southern states passed... the most important issue was slavery.

So yes, you're right, the North didn't fight to free the slaves. But the South fought to keep them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Executive Mansion,

Hon. Horace Greeley:
Dear Sir.

Yours,
A. Lincoln.

Do you even know your state's history brospeh?

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:16:55 AM EDT
[#43]
These are my preferred flags of treason.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:17:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

This is why I can't work up too much of a give a fuck  when Northeners,  and New Yorkers In particular, whine about their oppressive state governments, high taxation,  and their loss of their ability to excercise their gun rights.

Oh.....and there's also that 13er thing as well.

Enjoy living under the boot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This is why I can't work up too much of a give a fuck  when Northeners,  and New Yorkers In particular, whine about their oppressive state governments, high taxation,  and their loss of their ability to excercise their gun rights.

Oh.....and there's also that 13er thing as well.

Enjoy living under the boot.

Yeah, this crap in threads lately is going to make me think twice when its time to make donations and renew my NYSRPA membership (and I've only once been in NY, driving through on I84).  

Actually, I'll keep on helping NY gun owners fight the best I can.  However, it does seem like an awful lot of the South-bashing on here comes from NY.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:17:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see you are watching stuff produced for common core
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:20:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Why you so slavey Texas?

...They have refused to vote appropriations for protecting Texas against ruthless savages, for the sole reason that she is a slave-holding State.

And, finally, by the combined sectional vote of the seventeen non-slave-holding States, they have elected as president and vice-president of the whole confederacy two men whose chief claims to such high positions are their approval of these long continued wrongs, and their pledges to continue them to the final consummation of these schemes for the ruin of the slave-holding States.

In view of these and many other facts, it is meet that our own views should be distinctly proclaimed.

We hold as undeniable truths that the governments of the various States, and of the confederacy itself, were established exclusively by the white race, for themselves and their posterity; that the African race had no agency in their establishment; that they were rightfully held and regarded as an inferior and dependent race, and in that condition only could their existence in this country be rendered beneficial or tolerable.

That in this free government *all white men are and of right ought to be entitled to equal civil and political rights* [emphasis in the original]; that the servitude of the African race, as existing in these States, is mutually beneficial to both bond and free, and is abundantly authorized and justified by the experience of mankind, and the revealed will of the Almighty Creator, as recognized by all Christian nations; while the destruction of the existing relations between the two races, as advocated by our sectional enemies, would bring inevitable calamities upon both and desolation upon the fifteen slave-holding states.

By the secession of six of the slave-holding States, and the certainty that others will speedily do likewise, Texas has no alternative but to remain in an isolated connection with the North, or unite her destinies with the South.....
View Quote

But you know, it TOTALLY wasn't about slavery.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:24:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
When the war started, Union states  Delaware, Maryland, Missouri, Kentucky, New Jersey, and the capital of the Union, Washington DC, all had slavery.

Why didn't they free their own slaves before they invaded the South?

View Quote

Because the North fought to preserve the Union, not free the slaves. The South fought for the "states' rights" to keep and expand slavery.

A lot of Confederate apologists point to quotes from Lincoln and to the fact that Northern states had slavery as conclusive proof that the Civil War wasn't about freeing the slaves. They are of course right on that count. But it's a convenient device to divert attention away from what the South was fighting for. Sure, not every Southerner was fighting to keep their slaves. They didn't all own slaves. Hell, there were blacks that fought for the South. But what issue caused the South to begin to secede from the Union?

All you have to do is look toward the Articles of Secession. That issue was slavery, pure and simple. One need only look to the 1860 Democratic National Convention to see the roots of the secession. Stephen Douglas was the front-runner for the nomination, but he espoused the "popular sovereignty" position on slavery: it was up to each state whether they wished to have slavery. The voters get to decide. Well, that wasn't good enough for many of the Southern delegations. They wanted an explicitly pro-slavery candidate. The convention broke up and there were two Democratic nominees. All it took to cause the Southern states to begin seceding was the election of a Republican (i.e. abolitionist president), which was at least partially the fault of the Southern delegation's rabid insistence upon adopting a pro-slavery candidate rather than one who was only in favor of allowing the citizenry of each state to choose to be a slave state or free state.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:25:41 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Executive Mansion,

Hon. Horace Greeley:
Dear Sir.

Yours,
A. Lincoln.

I'm a displaced Michigander. VA isn't really my state. I'm only here for school.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:26:58 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

States rights.

View Quote

Nothing to do with slavery.

Lincoln was the traitor.
As for Florida, everyone was poor B&W alike, two battles were fought in Florida, the North lost both badly & never came back. The whole war was a political debacle, much like DC now, it was all about Money & States rights.
That's all I know from that part of Florida history, my family only came over here in 1903

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:29:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Depends on your perspective CNN.  At one point that flag you proudly fly (the US one) was a traitor's flag too.

A lot depends on perspective.
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top