Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/16/2013 2:48:05 PM EDT
What say the hive?
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 2:50:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been considering this myself.

I have to have a truck because I haul shit, so for me a camper shell is my only option, unless I want two separate vehicles which I don't
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 2:51:27 PM EDT
[#2]
If you need to haul cargo, the truck/shell. If you haul smaller cargo, and a few people, the SUV.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 2:54:16 PM EDT
[#3]
You can tell what part of the country someone is from based on what they call that item.  I say camper shell.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 2:54:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I carry a ton of stuff in my Denali. If it won't fit inside, I have a trailer hitch.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 2:56:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You can tell what part of the country someone is from based on what they call that item.  I say camper shell.
View Quote
We call them toppers here.

Link Posted: 11/16/2013 2:57:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Camper

Of course, I went from an Excursion to this.

Wes
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 2:58:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

sounds like something a brit would say. Hey govenor can I get some catsup for my chips or a bag of crisps at least
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 2:58:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I like both. I prefer truck with camper shell, which is what I currently have. I like the fact that I can get the bed dirty, without messing up any carpet or nice interior.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 3:00:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IIRC, my current AO calls them "caps"
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 3:06:33 PM EDT
[#10]
"Camper shell" is so west coast. What makes it a camper? Because its just a fiberglass cap ;)
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 3:24:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I call them "toppers" as well. I was actually looking at some today. Tough decision, get a topper or Tonneau cover that is easily removable.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 3:27:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, with a camper top and sliding rear windows you can toss the beer cans in the bed to avoid both a littering and an open container charge.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 3:33:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I currently drive a single cab 4x4 tacoma so if I want to haul anything semi securely I'll have to get one. I've been leaning towards a leer 100r.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 3:36:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Topper
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 3:36:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Keep in mind also that if you're hauling something nasty, with a truck and topper you don't have to share the same enclosed space with it while driving.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 3:38:39 PM EDT
[#16]
I went thru this choice a last year.  I bought a 4Runner.  

I only have to haul stuff a few times per year.  There's a Uhaul center about a mile from me, so I just rent a trailer for $20/day.  

I've hauled 16ft decking planks in my 4Runner.  Just put down the rear seat, open the rear window, and slide them in.  
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 3:42:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Suv is a hell of a lot more useful, unless you are usually hauling stuff like ATVs and firewood.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 3:44:16 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a Bronco, so its kind of like I have both. The best and worst of both too.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 7:35:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Typically, once the shell is installed, it never comes off - The pickup spends the rest of its life as a SUV with really crappy 3rd-row seating accommodations.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 7:44:17 PM EDT
[#20]
I say SUV all the way.

Are you guys talking about these...

or these?

Link Posted: 11/16/2013 7:49:57 PM EDT
[#21]
With a camper shell you still can have a truck. With a SUV you just have a car that gets shitty mileage.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 7:49:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
What say the hive?
View Quote

Yes! I have an ARE camper shell. If you are not going to be using your truck to haul dirt and stuff like that I suggest one. Mine is similar to this. I can still haul stuff like lumber in there and I actually use the door more than the entire hatch. Keeping your stuff in there is way more secure than an open bed for sure!

Link Posted: 11/16/2013 7:52:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 7:53:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Leer shell owner here, I love it.

I wish I had a tall garage thought so I could get e ceiling mount shell lifting/storage system.  Then it would be perfect
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 7:54:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Ive owned both full size truck 1500 & 2500 with campr shells and SUV's (Suburban & Expeditions)..Problem with a shell is they are pain to remove..SUV is equal in my eyes.. A trailer is for hauling, a truck not so much unless its a few fishing poles, maybe a canoe, or a few square bales of hay..
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 7:55:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Whether one calls it a camper,cap,or topper it has it's good points on a truck.
I cannot tell you how many nights camping I slept in the back of a single cab Toyota or Isuzu P/U truck camping or deer hunting.
Not so easy in a Suv.
My current 2009 Frontier has no camper shell but I would buy one in a heartbeat over owning a Suv.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 7:58:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I carry a ton of stuff in my Denali. Durango If it won't fit inside, I have a trailer hitch.
View Quote

Can carry much more on a trailer than a pickup anyway, SUV FTW.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 7:59:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
or these?

View Quote

That's a slide-in camper, not a camper shell.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 8:02:27 PM EDT
[#29]
I say get both! I have a Suburban and a 2500HD Duramax with a shell. Both can fit my family of five just fine for now with all three kids in carseats, so it just depends on what I'm hauling behind me.

Another option is a soft sided shell. Basically just a framework and canvas. I had one on my other crew cab back in the day. Made it nice if I needed to keep stuff dry one day and haul a goose neck the next. I no longer have the need to haul such big trailers so I parted with the truck a while back.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 8:45:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Cargo needing protection, occasional overnight shelter, camper shell. People, SUV. It's hell cleaning blood, mud, bark and sap out of an SUV carpeted or not, it only takes a hose and cleaner of choice with a topper. Cots or air matresses smoke folded down seats anyday for sleeping.
I hate a topper on a truck most times, but they can be extremely useful, need a hoist setup for easy removal to maintain the utility of the vehicle.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 8:47:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I carry a ton of stuff in my Denali. Durango If it won't fit inside, I have a trailer hitch.

Trailers are a serious P.I.T.A. off-road, and scream stuff worth stealing at every stop.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 8:47:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Got it, thanks.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 8:51:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Canopy is most common here. I bought my truck with a canopy a few years ago and promptly took it off. I've used it like 3 times. Great for road trips/camping, otherwise I hate them.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 9:05:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Canopy is most common here. I bought my truck with a canopy a few years ago and promptly took it off. I've used it like 3 times. Great for road trips/camping, otherwise I hate them.
View Quote

Yeh, I hated mine, too - Blind spots-o-plenty, and retrieving anything that wasn't near the tailgate required crawling inside the shell.

Ended up getting rid of it.

A lockable bed cover is the way to go, IMO - Gives you some secure storage, but still leaves the bed free for hauling bulky stuff.

Mine is a Retrax Pro retractable cover. Looks sort of like this one:

It's pricy, but very solid - The slats are powder-coated aluminum extrusions, and ride on roller bearings.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 9:06:30 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

around here they're known as a canopy.

Link Posted: 11/16/2013 9:08:23 PM EDT
[#36]
It's called a topper and you talk funny.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 9:12:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Yeh, I hated mine, too - Blind spots-o-plenty, and retrieving anything that wasn't near the tailgate required crawling inside the shell.

A lockable bed cover is the way to go, IMO - Gives you some secure storage, but still leaves the bed free for hauling bulky stuff.

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/3893/rghs.jpg

It's pricy, but very solid - The slats are powder-coated aluminum extrusions, and ride on roller bearings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/3893/rghs.jpg

Mine is a contractor style with the side opening windows, so getting stuff near the front isn't so bad. I remember going to bed once while camping totally shitfaced, a few minute later I sat up, opened the side window and puked all over, it was awesome

I also hate how they make the cab dark.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 9:14:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, no kiddin. I didn't know WTF a camper shell was.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 9:17:38 PM EDT
[#39]
I have both.  A truck with a shell, and one without.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 9:19:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Cargo needing protection, occasional overnight shelter, camper shell. People, SUV. It's hell cleaning blood, mud, bark and sap out of an SUV carpeted or not, it only takes a hose and cleaner of choice with a topper. Cots or air matresses smoke folded down seats anyday for sleeping.
I hate a topper on a truck most times, but they can be extremely useful, need a hoist setup for easy removal to maintain the utility of the vehicle.
View Quote

This, if you need an open bed very often.

SUV can carry more people because more seats.

Link Posted: 11/16/2013 9:20:55 PM EDT
[#41]
I had a shell on my Tundra for many years and sold it last year.  It's a pain to remove and replace if you need to haul stuff often and you also need a safe place to leave it so it doesn't get scratched and dinged.  

The funny thing was, after I sold it, people told me it made my truck look like an "old man truck".  
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 9:39:04 PM EDT
[#42]
My favorite toppers are the cheap aluminum ones. Easy on and easy off.

They are light enough for two people to easily remove and they don't weigh down the truck with unnecessary weight.

They are cheap on Craigslist. Like $50 cheap.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 9:40:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Mine is a contractor style with the side opening windows, so getting stuff near the front isn't so bad. I remember going to bed once while camping totally shitfaced, a few minute later I sat up, opened the side window and puked all over, it was awesome
View Quote

I gotta admit - That's a hell of a selling point!
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 3:27:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
My favorite toppers are the cheap aluminum ones. Easy on and easy off.

They are light enough for two people to easily remove and they don't weigh down the truck with unnecessary weight.

They are cheap on Craigslist. Like $50 cheap.
View Quote

Yep, with full length side windows.  Something like this.
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 6:37:41 PM EDT
[#45]
I have a camper... err topper cap.

The big benefit is being able hose it out.

The advantage of an SUV is passenger capacity.

Which is more important to you?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top