Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/25/2013 10:14:46 AM EDT
I recently bought a used pick-up. The damage disclosure was marked that there was no prior damage to the vehicle exceeding $x,xxx...however I just received the registration in the mail and it states cumulative damage on the title. Are these two separate measurements? Does cumulative damage have to be declared during the sale of the vehicle?
Link Posted: 11/25/2013 10:17:58 AM EDT
[#1]
You try calling your state motor vehicles or check their website? Each state is different.
Link Posted: 11/25/2013 10:19:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Iowa's dmv website is worthless. I was going to swing by the courthouse after work and ask down there.
Link Posted: 11/25/2013 10:21:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Private party or dealer?

I'd be pissed if I didn't know what the damage was.

Link Posted: 11/25/2013 10:23:46 AM EDT
[#4]
dealer, a big one around here.
Link Posted: 11/25/2013 10:26:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Damn, I hope not, my Jeep has been cumulatively destroyed.  
Link Posted: 11/25/2013 10:27:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Id go talk to them. Did you get a car fax?

Sounds like misrepresentation of what they were selling.

Could be criminal.

ETA they don't have to disclose depending on amount? This is what I  found.

A damage disclosure statement is required for all motor vehicles except:
Motor trucks and truck tractors with a gross vehicle weight rating of 16,000 pounds or more.
Vehicles more than seven model years old.
Motorcycles.
Motorized bicycles.
Special mobile equipment.
New motor vehicles with a true mileage of 1,000 miles or less, unless the vehicle has sustained damage for which the cost of repair exceeds 50 percent of the fair market value of the vehicle.
Damage must be disclosed if it exceeds 50 percent of the fair market value of the motor vehicle before it became damaged. The amount of damage shall be based on estimates of the RETAIL cost of repairing the vehicle, including labor, parts and other materials if the vehicle has not been repaired; or on the ACTUAL RETAIL cost to repair, including labor, parts and other materials if the vehicle has been repaired. All repair charges, including sales tax, must be included.

Example: A vehicle had a retail value of $22,000 at the time it was damaged, and the cost to repair it was $13,000. The cost to repair is more than 50 percent of the retail value of the vehicle at the time it was damaged. Therefore, the "Yes" box in Section 1, Question 2, must be checked.

"Fair market value" refers to the average retail value found in the "National Automobile Dealer's Association (NADA) Official Used Car Guide." NADA guides may be available through a library, insurance agent, auto dealer or at the NADA's website.

Transfers by operation of law include the following.

Inheritance
Devise or bequest
Dissolution decree
Order in bankruptcy
Insolvency
Replevin
Foreclosure or execution sale
Abandoned vehicle sale
Artisan's lien sale
Landlord's lien
Storage lein
Repossession

Sellers: You are required to provide a separate damage disclosure statement to the buyer at or before the time of sale of the vehicle.

Dealers, wholesalers and recyclers: You are required to maintain copies of damage disclosure statements for five years. If you received a separate damage disclosure statement from a prior owner and you did not obtain a new title in your name, you are required to give this separate damage disclosure statement to your buyer.
Link Posted: 11/25/2013 10:29:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Negative on the car fax, I went by the damage disclosure form and a copy of a clean title. Registration comes in the mail with the words "cumulative damage" on it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2013 10:33:00 AM EDT
[#8]
shmbo just backed my jeep into a small tree yesterday

i think her cumulative score is 5 or 6 this year

Link Posted: 11/25/2013 10:34:15 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote

SHMBO?

Link Posted: 11/25/2013 10:34:31 AM EDT
[#10]

ETA they don't have to disclose depending on amount? This is what I  found.

It seems odd that you wouldn't have to disclose it if it was going to end up on the registration. I'll have to ask some questions when I get off work today.
Link Posted: 11/25/2013 10:53:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

SHMBO?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SHMBO?

SWMBO? (she who must be obeyed?)
Link Posted: 11/25/2013 11:42:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SHMBO?

She Hates Mr Barack Obama?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top