Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/20/2014 5:06:53 PM EDT

I believe this particular style of grenade would be preferable to the current grenade style.

The stick allows you to throw it a greater distance and also decreases the likelihood that it will roll away from the intended target.

Discuss.

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:08:25 PM EDT
[#1]
But, what about the trees?

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:08:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:09:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Always wanted a few of those to play with.  Of course if your buddy has a lacrosse stick.....
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:10:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Concussive grenade with an optional frag sleeve? I sure hope I can throw that as far as humanly possible!
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:11:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Didn't those have quite a high failure rate?  As in, go boom when activated, failure rate?
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:12:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You don't need handles hanging off of your chest in combat.

Better to throw, harder to carry.

You carry far more of the time than you throw, carry wins.
View Quote

I was going to say that I defer to those who have had to carry gear in combat, as I'm betting that they would much rather prefer to carry M67s over Stielhandgranaten.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:13:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You don't need handles hanging off of your chest in combat.

Better to throw, harder to carry.

You carry far more of the time than you throw, carry wins.
View Quote

I would go with a lightweight, collapsible fiberglass handle.

Grab the grenade, extend the "handle", throw.

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:14:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Didn't those have quite a high failure rate?  As in, go boom when activated, failure rate?
View Quote

Yes, those models had their issues.

I'm not advocating that particular grenade, just the style of grenade.

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:14:25 PM EDT
[#9]
how far can you throw this

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:15:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I suppose if it worked well, someone today would be using it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:16:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Hopefully far enough

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:16:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Far enough...and as soon as I let go I'd be runnin' the opposite direction.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:17:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-EMK11kU9anw/TbSfhy9jT8I/AAAAAAAAAEI/0Eg0soXhNsk/s1600/stickgrenade.jpg

I believe this particular style of grenade would be preferable to the current grenade style.

The stick allows you to throw it a greater distance and also decreases the likelihood that it will roll away from the intended target.

Discuss.

View Quote

Leverage is good.  PITA to carry, I'd bet.  That's lots of room on your gear.

ETA: beat by heavymetal
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:17:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Those little dinky Dutch made ones are the shit.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:18:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Note that the screw-off cap was not in the first iteration.
The first iteration just had the looped string hanging out of the handle, unprotected.

Yeah. The cap was added after a few "bad experiences" in the brush.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:19:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:21:53 PM EDT
[#17]
I dunno, never touched a real gernade. That big ass handle seems like it would be a motherfucker to carry around with all your other bullshit though.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:22:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Carry them in buckets for your kamrade, who is throwing them into trench dugouts while you run faster than saint skittles on adredaline out of wal-mart with security on your ass.

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:23:28 PM EDT
[#19]
It's fucking huge and unwieldy. Wouldn't carry on kit worth a shit. Also it wouldn't go as well through small holes or spaces if need be.

The M67 is perfectly fine. The ASM fucks people up better though
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:24:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think there's a stigma associated with that style of grenade.

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:26:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It's fucking huge and unwieldy. Wouldn't carry on kit worth a shit. Also it wouldn't go as well through small holes or spaces if need be.

View Quote

Again, I would suggest a new model where the handle would be collapsible and constructed of lightweight fiberglass.

Our rifle stocks are not made of wood any longer, we can also modernize other gear.

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:26:40 PM EDT
[#22]
they should switch to those flail-style grenades like the ones in Gears of War
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:28:16 PM EDT
[#23]
I always thought a flat,white, rectangular grenade with a loop of string to throw it with would work.

Like soap on a rope.

Would keep the straight guys from picking one up and throwing it back at you anyways.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:30:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Carry them in buckets for your kamrade, who is throwing them into trench dugouts while you run faster than saint skittles on adredaline out of wal-mart with security on your ass.
View Quote

Sandbags.  Tie two together, hang over neck, fill with grenades.  That was typical.

The Chinese used their own offshoot of the german grenade, and the Russians had a few different types of stick grenade.

Those little beads on the end of the string can be found on battlefields all over europe.  They survive quite well where everything else would decompose or rust.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:30:18 PM EDT
[#25]
i bet those stick grenades worked well when thrown from an open half track on the movie. sure they are bulky but the can be thrown from all sorts of confined angles better then a normal frag.

also german rifled grenades ftw.

proto- m79

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:30:35 PM EDT
[#26]
German national sport was Soccer when grenade tossing was in vogue American national sport was Baseball. Who's going to win at throwing things?

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:31:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Chicom greneade too.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:31:52 PM EDT
[#28]
I think that Xena the Warrior Princess was onto the best grenade style thousands of years ago.

Yes, an explosive chakram would be ideal!

In WWI, the Germans did try some thing similar.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:32:18 PM EDT
[#29]
They were an OFFENSIVE grenade with a smaller wound/blast radius than our DEFENSIVE grenades that had more shrapnel.

The Krauts in both World Wars would rig up a double burlap sack harness that went under both arms to carry a bunch at a time.

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:32:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

I do believe that the Russian version is still in use today. Germany wasn't the only country with a stick-style grenade.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:33:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Again, I would suggest a new model where the handle would be collapsible and constructed of lightweight fiberglass.

Our rifle stocks are not made of wood any longer, we can also modernize other gear.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

what could go wrong...
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:34:04 PM EDT
[#32]
I wouldve loved to walk around Iraq with a couple of those stuck in my body armor.
Until they got heavy and the stick rubbed me raw. Fuck it...

No but they are cool for realz.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:35:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I think that Xena the Warrior Princess was onto the best grenade style thousands of years ago.

Yes, an explosive chakram would be ideal!

In WWI, the Germans did try some thing similar.
View Quote

ultimate frisbi generation would approve.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:36:17 PM EDT
[#34]
If we're going to redesign the hand grenade, I'd prefer to see a single grenade capable of use as either a hand grenade, or as a bullet-through rifle grenade that would snug up on the current issue flash hider.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:36:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I wouldve loved to walk around Iraq with a couple of those stuck in my body armor.
Until they got heavy and the stick rubbed me raw. Fuck it...

No but they are cool for realz.
View Quote

Again, modernize it with a collapsable, lightweight fiberglass.

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:36:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Sandbags.  Tie two together, hang over neck, fill with grenades.  That was typical.

The Chinese used their own offshoot of the german grenade, and the Russians had a few different types of stick grenade.

Those little beads on the end of the string can be found on battlefields all over europe.  They survive quite well where everything else would decompose or rust.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha yeah.  Or stuff your belt with them to toss.  While Deter shoots anyone who survives/you don't get with his G98.

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:37:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of these, but for grenades  (ETA: damn, too slow, got beat above):

How about this?

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:37:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
If we're going to redesign the hand grenade, I'd prefer to see a single grenade capable of use as either a hand grenade, or as a bullet-through rifle grenade that would snug up on the current issue flash hider.
View Quote

I believe the Israelis still have something like that.

Someone here should know.

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:38:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Why not just use one of these to toss the frags we have now?

Doh! beat while searching for a pic.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:38:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
They were an OFFENSIVE grenade with a smaller wound/blast radius than our DEFENSIVE grenades that had more shrapnel.

The Krauts in both World Wars would rig up a double burlap sack harness that went under both arms to carry a bunch at a time.

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:38:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Is it standard for most soldiers to carry a grenade (or a number of grenades) or is it only a few people in a squad?

I'd be afraid of a short fuse or something.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:39:44 PM EDT
[#42]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of these, but for grenades:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e135/big_taki/IMG_0355.jpg

How about this?

http://www.betdania.com/slidehome/slidehome6.jpg

Great idea, but if someone is anything like some sad people I have seen with those they will throw it into the ground in front of them.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:40:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Is it standard for most soldiers to carry a grenade (or a number of grenades) or is it only a few people in a squad?

I'd be afraid of a short fuse or something.
View Quote

METT-TC

IOW, it depends.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:40:33 PM EDT
[#44]
If your target is out of hand thrown grenade range it's Mk19 time.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:42:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Carry schmarry... just jam some in your jack boots and call it GTG!

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:42:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

polyvalent grenade.

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:44:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Thank God for baseball.

Like chucking rocks.

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:45:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:46:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Carry schmarry... just jam some in your jack boots and call it GTG!

http://www.ww2incolor.com/d/52830-4/bookagainstrichelieu10
View Quote

Like a water carrier in cycling. Put them wherever you can.

Btw, I hope that he tripped.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:48:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FN made one.

Like most recent rifle grenades though, it's dedicated to RG use, and fairly large.  Kind of a poor man's rocket launcher.  I think it'd be neat to offer the capability of just screwing the standard hand grenade onto the end of the standard rifle for increased range though.  No need to hunt down adapters, blanks, etc, and no lugging around dedicated RG rounds.  Not an answer to every question to be sure, but I think it would see use.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top