[#2]
Why the hell did they make it public?
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 3:02:18 PM EDT
[#4]
fffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccckkkkkkk

Link Posted: 2/25/2014 3:03:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Shoot Shovel Shut up

Ok you can drop the shoot but seriously. Shut up. Don't tell anyone.

ETA: ok Just read the article. The couple is staying anonymous. Good for them.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 3:03:17 PM EDT
[#6]
did the government confiscate it yet?
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 3:04:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why the hell did they make it public?
View Quote

said they wanted to remain anonymous but yeah Id keep that to myself. Reminds me of some of the really good metal detecting vids on youtube.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 3:09:06 PM EDT
[#8]
well, they've probably just pissed away at least a quarter of it by going semi-public. Oh well. Should have just left it buried.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 3:10:02 PM EDT
[#9]
So f'in stupid to go public with this.  The .gov will step in and the finders will owe big time taxes.  Or, some foreign .gov will lay claim to them as being "national treasures" and the finders will need to hire an attorney to defend.

I would have kept my mouth shut and slowly disposed of them over the next twenty years to various coin shops around the country.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 3:14:14 PM EDT
[#10]
there's just something about gold coins that make me hungry....
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 3:14:24 PM EDT
[#11]
When will it be my turn?

Hold me, GD
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 3:15:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So f'in stupid to go public with this.  The .gov will step in and the finders will owe big time taxes.  Or, some foreign .gov will lay claim to them as being "national treasures" and the finders will need to hire an attorney to defend.

I would have kept my mouth shut and slowly disposed of them over the next twenty years to various coin shops around the country.
View Quote

Or even melted them down into less recognizable lumps of gold.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 3:15:31 PM EDT
[#13]
We know the coins are 1800's, but I wonder if there's any way to date the cans to determine how long they might have been there. Maybe metal content or stamping process?
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 3:15:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Lucky them. That's at least twice in one day.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 3:17:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some of them are rare coins worth $1 million apiece. You'd be throwing away a lot of $$ to just get their value by weight.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 3:26:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Kind of my personal metal detecting dream. Good for them, but they screwed the pooch by announcing to the world what they found. The taxes alone are going to make their heads spin.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 3:26:28 PM EDT
[#17]
After the Feds and California get through with them they'll have $1.87 to their name.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 3:35:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Awesome find.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top