Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2014 2:33:48 PM EDT
2011 Mazda 3 with 57,000 miles, the last couple times I took it in to get the oil changed 2 separate places told me I should do it.  I'm using the recommended synthetic oil.

Mazda forums seemed to have mixed opinions, especially for higher mileage engines that haven't had it done before.  

So is it really a good idea, or just an upsell?
And before anyone asks, its a pain to get it onto anything to get underneath it so I can change it myself.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 2:35:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Almost 200k on my 98 pathfinder and never did an engine flush. Still runs great. I dont see the need.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 2:36:27 PM EDT
[#2]
just dump some seafoam in the motherfucker
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 2:39:55 PM EDT
[#3]
No.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 2:40:53 PM EDT
[#4]
No !
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 2:41:20 PM EDT
[#5]
no, waste of money!
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 2:41:58 PM EDT
[#6]
You're flushing it when you change it. The negligible amount that doesn't drain during the change will come out on the next one.

Don't let them sell you pointless shit. If you have sludge buildup, that's a different story all together.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 2:42:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Nope.  Don't do it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 2:43:36 PM EDT
[#8]
No

snake oil gimmick

Just change oil like normal

throw a engine oil supplement in like BG moa now and again
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 2:44:29 PM EDT
[#9]
No. If it's a pressurized detergent flush hell no.

I used to be a honda tech and would never do it to my own car.

Just the shop trying to rape your wallet.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 2:44:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Why? If you're changing it at the recommended mileage then there shouldn't really be anything to "flush" except money from your wallet.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 2:47:39 PM EDT
[#11]
It would be extremely unlikely to have any sludge in an engine with that mileage using synthetic oil.  Flushing would probably not do any harm, but it probably would not do any good, either.  The primary good it would do would be for the shop that got your money.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 2:50:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Going to oil change places rate right up there with going to
Timeshare junkets. All up sell.

All my vehicles gas and diesel I change the oil myself and use only
Shell Rotella 15w40 straight dino oil for the last 20 years.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 2:52:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Dont give in to quick lube upsell tactics. This is really all it is. In fact, it could possibly damage your engine.

Do the oil change yourself if you can.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 2:53:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Going to oil change places rate right up there with going to
Timeshare junkets. All up sell.

All my vehicles gas and diesel I change the oil myself and use only
Shell Rotella 15w40 straight dino oil for the last 20 years.
View Quote

been swapping everything to rotella.  

Don't buy snake oil op. If you had a sludge build up you would pull the valve covers ect.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 2:55:45 PM EDT
[#15]
nope.

best case scenario nothing happens.

worst case scenario, engine damage.

I've seen that done on sludge engines, looked cleaner in the valve cover, oil pressure went to hell because the hard carbon in the PCV system went into the crank and plugged up the oil pump pickup tube screen.

don't put anything in your crank but oil, if its broken magic in a can isn't going to fix it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 2:58:05 PM EDT
[#16]
No, 57k on a modern engine is nothing.  Keep doing regular maint.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 3:04:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Sounds like to me.

Use Valvoline Full Synthetic for high mileage engines and the top-of-line FRAM Ultra filter; I've found that works great, and if you DIY it costs less than a shop. Change at intervals directed by manual.

Oh yeah, find another repair shop.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 3:17:31 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

It would be extremely unlikely to have any sludge in an engine with that mileage using synthetic oil.  Flushing would probably not do any harm, but it probably would not do any good, either.  The primary good it would do would be for the shop that got your money.
View Quote

One claimed that there was sludge and me now using synthetic was breaking it loose.  

I bought the car with about 30k, and have been using synthetic.  I dont have any idea on oil changes before that unfortunately.  

Link Posted: 3/7/2014 3:26:31 PM EDT
[#19]
you sure they aren't talking about your transmission? but as a Mazda tech, I have never heard of flushing your oil (from Mazda)..............  is your the sky active engine? as long as your using the 0-20 full syn, you shouldn't have any issues
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 3:33:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
2011 Mazda 3 with 57,000 miles, the last couple times I took it in to get the oil changed 2 separate places told me I should do it.  I'm using the recommended synthetic oil.
Mazda forums seemed to have mixed opinions, especially for higher mileage engines that haven't had it done before.  

And before anyone asks, its a pain to get it onto anything to get underneath it so I can change it myself.  
View Quote

No, and I bet if Mazda found out, you'd have no warranty. Change your own oil dude, these guys are taught to upsell, not work on cars. Flushing an engine just moves sludge from one place to another, maybe an oil port? All bad. I'd bet the farm their is no sludge in that engine.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 3:39:08 PM EDT
[#21]
NO !!!
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 3:44:06 PM EDT
[#22]
No, not needed.  Look at a set of Rhino ramps, even lowered cars can get up on them.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 3:44:21 PM EDT
[#23]
I vaguely remember old time mechanics saying they use to flush engines at oil changes, IIRC the formula was half
kerosene and half oil. Run engine to warm up and drain, then refill with new oil.

IIRC this would of been 60 or more years ago.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 3:47:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ever hear the saying about "a fool and his money"?  This is one of those cases!

Show me a factory service manual, ANYWHERE, from ANY TIME, or for ANY MODEL that calls for flushing the engine!

This isn't an "upsell" it's just plain old fraud!
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 3:48:25 PM EDT
[#25]
I own a quick lube and do not
offer an engine flush.
Change your oil/filter as per factory recs or OLM.
Use a quality oil.
Always check and maintain your oil level.
Maintaining the proper oil level is critical.
Oil cleans your engine by absorbing (dispersing) dirt with
the filter removing the larger particles of dirt. The rest is suspended
in the oil and only removed when changed.

Oh, and flame suit on for owning a quick lube.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 4:12:21 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

you sure they aren't talking about your transmission? but as a Mazda tech, I have never heard of flushing your oil (from Mazda)..............  is your the sky active engine? as long as your using the 0-20 full syn, you shouldn't have any issues
View Quote
They also recommended the transmission, but both suggested the engine oil also.

Not a sky active, and have been using 5w.

Link Posted: 3/7/2014 4:25:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Exgoodyear tech no it is a waste.  Only time I can say to try it is low oil pressure light pick screen maybe plugged up or you have a light ticking. Pointless really oh.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 6:11:16 AM EDT
[#28]
If you "have" to flush it, your engine is already dead.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 6:12:25 AM EDT
[#29]
NO
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 6:15:08 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Dont give in to quick lube upsell tactics. This is really all it is. In fact, it could possibly damage your engine.

Do the oil change yourself if you can.
View Quote

even better find the old guy in town who always has a line to do oil changes.

fucker here does it cheaper then i can go to walmart and buy oil for. (Mobil one synthetic)

Link Posted: 3/8/2014 7:16:19 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

No, not needed.  Look at a set of Rhino ramps, even lowered cars can get up on them.
View Quote
I'll check into those.  I tried with a buddy's set that he uses for a camaro.  The front of my car is long, so i just pushed the ramps before my tires even made it to the ramp.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.  I won't get it done.

Link Posted: 3/8/2014 7:23:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  Even at 200K/300K miles with modern blends of oil, changed appropriately.

Now, if this was 1992, and you had been running Penzoil for 150K miles, doing oil changes at 10K mile intervals, you'd have a lot of sludge built up in your heads.  That's what the flush was for.

Take a look into your valve cover next time you add oil, or feel bored, and your engine will tell you if it has sludge or not.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 7:24:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
No. If it's a pressurized detergent flush hell no.

I used to be a honda tech and would never do it to my own car.

Just the shop trying to rape your wallet.
View Quote

Exactly right
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top