Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2014 3:24:28 PM EDT
Came across this old New Jersey State police release on the post crash investigation, it's an interesting read. Also found a few pics of the chassis after hitting that heavy equipment lift at @125mph. RIP.

http://www.njsp.org/news/pr091708.html

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:37:46 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:43:12 PM EDT
[#2]
From the report:

Driver Toxicology
Post mortem toxicological analysis of blood obtained from Scott Kalitta during his autopsy revealed the presence of Ethanol at a level of 23 mg/dL. This level converts to a BAC percentage of .02% BAC. This level, 25% of the legal limit for intoxication in the State of New Jersey, remains in violation of NHRA rules (Section 1.7, I., B.1.) as well as N.J.S.A. Title 13 Chapter 62 New Jersey State Motor Vehicle Racetrack Regulations.

Interesting that you can't even have a beer the night before the races...
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:44:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:46:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
From the report:

Driver Toxicology
Post mortem toxicological analysis of blood obtained from Scott Kalitta during his autopsy revealed the presence of Ethanol at a level of 23 mg/dL. This level converts to a BAC percentage of .02% BAC. This level, 25% of the legal limit for intoxication in the State of New Jersey, remains in violation of NHRA rules (Section 1.7, I., B.1.) as well as N.J.S.A. Title 13 Chapter 62 New Jersey State Motor Vehicle Racetrack Regulations.

View Quote

One beer any more than an hour or two before the race would have resulted in a .00% BAC.  He obviously had quite a few drinks the night before or "a beer" the day of the race.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:48:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Multiple impacts produced over 100G's each.  Holy crap.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:52:29 PM EDT
[#6]
That is not a bad way to go.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:56:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Shelly Howard crash in Tulsa still freaks me out (even though there was never any video) she does a blowover at 250+ while crossing the finish line, loses consciousness as her car flips over pointing back to the start and runs BACK down the track towards the start at 250+ ...then kills herself and her own son in the crew car in a horrific impact
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:57:40 PM EDT
[#8]
This man was not drinking.  these guys have reactions times no one in the world drinking could match....When someone dies, the body produces ethanol as a product of decomposition. The production of ethanol within the body begins shortly after death. As the body begins to decay, bacteria grow. The bacteria produce ethanol by converting it from sugars such as glucose. The ethanol levels rise as the body decomposes and the bacteria continue to reproduce

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/about_5675437_alcohol-metabolism-after-death.html#ixzz2zZIcjvqb

Quoted:
From the report:

Driver Toxicology

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:58:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Video of the crash. Very violent crash... Dont watch it if your going to bitch about it...

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:00:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

One beer any more than an hour or two before the race would have resulted in a .00% BAC.  He obviously had quite a few drinks the night before or "a beer" the day of the race.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
From the report:

Driver Toxicology

There's a little more to it than that.  I did a little Googling out of curiosity...

Alcohol is metabolized at the rate of .015 of blood alcohol concentration (BAC) every hour. 1 Thus a person with a very high BAC of .15 will have no measurable alcohol in the bloodstream after ten hours (.15 divided by .015 = 10).

BAC   /                Metabolism time in hours
.10   /                                     6.66
.08    /                                    5.53
.05     /                                   3.33
.02   /                                     1.33
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:01:22 PM EDT
[#11]
wow.....impact of over 100g's
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:02:45 PM EDT
[#12]
i remember when it happened.  if memory serves, Eric Medlin died a little over a year prior.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:03:39 PM EDT
[#13]
NHRA was ruined after Scott's accident.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:07:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This man was not drinking.  these guys have reactions times no one in the world drinking could match....When someone dies, the body produces ethanol as a product of decomposition. The production of ethanol within the body begins shortly after death. As the body begins to decay, bacteria grow. The bacteria produce ethanol by converting it from sugars such as glucose. The ethanol levels rise as the body decomposes and the bacteria continue to reproduce

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/about_5675437_alcohol-metabolism-after-death.html#ixzz2zZIcjvqb

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
From the report:

Driver Toxicology

Cool.  Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:08:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Shelly Howard crash in Tulsa still freaks me out (even though there was never any video) she does a blowover at 250+ while crossing the finish line, loses consciousness as her car flips over pointing back to the start and runs BACK down the track towards the start at 250+ ...then kills herself and her own son in the crew car in a horrific impact
View Quote

Damn...
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:10:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
From the report:

Driver Toxicology

You'd think the ME might know just a thing or two about that, right?  If it occurs in every death why would they include it in the report at all?
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:13:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You'd think the ME might know just a thing or two about that, right?  If it occurs in every death why would they include it in the report at all?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
From the report:

Driver Toxicology

Ya, especially the part about it being in violation of NHRA rules.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:15:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Prolly could have avoided the massive explosion had he not had a beer lol.  Connie always has tuned them to limit.. Rip
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:17:40 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

wow.....impact of over 100g's
View Quote

"A review of information provided by Delphi, which was recorded by
accelerometers, mounted to the Kalitta vehicle revealed multiple impacts
producing over 100G, with some approaching or exceeding 200G."

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:18:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
From the report:

Driver Toxicology

I was wondering about that, seemed like a lot of other posters missed it.  It said Ethanol, not alcohol.  Just that that amount of Ethanol equals a BAC of.  Why'd he have Ethanol in his system?  I figured maybe there was a fuel leak and he inhaled it, and that contributed to the crash (fuel leak, not his inhaling gas fumes).  Your explanation might have merit, although one would think a medical examiner would know that, and not cite it in a report unless it was an unusual amount, which would then go back to why was there ethanol in his system?
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:19:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Was that a rather short overrun? First time I'd seen it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:23:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Was that a rather short overrun? First time I'd seen it.
View Quote

This is why they only race 1000 feet now and not 1/4 mile....
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:24:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I was wondering about that, seemed like a lot of other posters missed it. It said Ethanol, not alcohol. Just that that amount of Ethanol equals a BAC of.  Why'd he have Ethanol in his system?  I figured maybe there was a fuel leak and he inhaled it, and that contributed to the crash (fuel leak, not his inhaling gas fumes).  Your explanation might have merit, although one would think a medical examiner would know that, and not cite it in a report unless it was an unusual amount, which would then go back to why was there ethanol in his system?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
From the report:

Driver Toxicology

I was wondering about that, seemed like a lot of other posters missed it. It said Ethanol, not alcohol. Just that that amount of Ethanol equals a BAC of.  Why'd he have Ethanol in his system?  I figured maybe there was a fuel leak and he inhaled it, and that contributed to the crash (fuel leak, not his inhaling gas fumes).  Your explanation might have merit, although one would think a medical examiner would know that, and not cite it in a report unless it was an unusual amount, which would then go back to why was there ethanol in his system?

Ethanol = Alcohol
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:25:46 PM EDT
[#24]
The fuel cell specifically said 98% nitro but due to govt regs Connie was required to run 50% ethanol.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:43:05 PM EDT
[#25]
here is Robert Hights solo pass (due to scotts passing) the next day.
pretty cool tribute
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VhgoA6MttI
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:49:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
here is Robert Hights solo pass (due to scotts passing) the next day.
pretty cool tribute
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VhgoA6MttI
View Quote

I forgot he did that, pretty cool.... Imbedded

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:49:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I was wondering about that, seemed like a lot of other posters missed it.  It said Ethanol, not alcohol.  Just that that amount of Ethanol equals a BAC of.  Why'd he have Ethanol in his system?  I figured maybe there was a fuel leak and he inhaled it, and that contributed to the crash (fuel leak, not his inhaling gas fumes).  Your explanation might have merit, although one would think a medical examiner would know that, and not cite it in a report unless it was an unusual amount, which would then go back to why was there ethanol in his system?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
From the report:

Driver Toxicology

Isn't "drinking alcohol" and ethanol the same thing?
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:57:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:17:08 PM EDT
[#29]
I remember standing in the pits years back with Scott sitting on his car without the body. The car was running, they then switched to nitro and Scott rapped the throttle. I was 15 feet away and the concussive force grayed out my vision. Scott, of course, was straddling the drive train, with the 7,000 hp engine a foot or two in front of him. The I realized, that in a few minutes he would be repeating that experience while traveling in excess of 300 mph.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:31:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Sad that he died. It is common for racing organizations to be reactive on safety . A lot of these tracks were built when 180 mph was fast . Then they were doing 330 mph
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:35:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
From the report:

Driver Toxicology

I dunno.  Brain fart for me forgetting that Ethanol is a type of alcohol.  Although...that could explain MadDog....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top