Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2014 2:32:42 PM EDT
It's leaning on the trees in the back and not on the fence so how would you go about cutting it to avoid damaging the fence?

eta woops:

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:39:34 PM EDT
[#1]
In before MS Paint drawing
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:39:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Chainsaw.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:40:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Detcord.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:40:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:41:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Orange
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:46:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I think you..uh..forgot a critical component there OP.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:47:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Little pieces.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:48:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I would use a saw of some kind. But that's just me.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:50:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I've been using a saw wrong all these years.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:06:01 PM EDT
[#10]

So if I stand on it and cut the top off I could launch myself on to the roof of the house

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:14:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Detcord.
View Quote

2 cases of C-4 and 500ft of det cord.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:21:58 PM EDT
[#12]
To save your fence and surrounding trees, I'd start at the top and work my way down cutting sections. That's a dangerous tree though. You might be best served calling a pro.

Or if the neighbor doesn't mind, cut down the support tree,  crush 8' of your fence, cut up the tree and rebuild the fence.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:25:01 PM EDT
[#13]

I would reach inside of my shirt and pull out a can of Spinach.

Eat the spinach and wait for the battleship to appear on your arm.

Then, pick up the tree and use it as a bat.  Hit Bluto, run the bases and then catch Bluto.

Leave him sitting on home plate with the spinny things in his eyes and then take your goil home.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:25:01 PM EDT
[#14]
You need a back hoe of you wanna save the fence.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:30:27 PM EDT
[#15]
What's your "length of chain and a 4X4" situation?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:31:57 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

To save your fence and surrounding trees, I'd start at the top and work my way down cutting sections. That's a dangerous tree though. You might be best served calling a pro.

View Quote

Or if the neighbor doesn't mind, cut down the support tree,  crush 8' of your fence, cut up the tree and rebuild the fence.
I was thinking taking part of the fence down and just rebuild it after also. The trees are in a creek back there so I'm not sure if they are in the neighbors property.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:32:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What's your "length of chain and a 4X4" situation?
View Quote

Better take height of tree and add 20'    .

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:33:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Detcord.

3 cases. I plan to eat some. I know it says not to but I want to see what will happen.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:34:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Climb up the tree and cut little bitty pieces that will fall on either side of the fence.
There won't be much of a big piece left.

If you gots money then rent a lift to stand in.

If you buy the beer I will come out and do it for you.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:35:56 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote

Was going to post this.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:37:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Might as well go ahead and remove that section of fence and then put it back when you are done.  Otherwise you are looking at either damaging the fence, damaging your 4x4, or damaging yourself because you will be trying to save the fence in a risky tree cutting situation.

Take the fence down.

Safely cut the tree at the base

Hook chain from truck to tree

Pull the base of it out

Tree will safely fall where the fence used to be

Safely cut up the remainder of the tree

Put fence back up
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:44:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So if I stand on it and cut the top off I could launch myself on to the roof of the house  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

No, because your tree is up in the air and all the roots aren't cut, rotted or broken.  If you have to ask then I think you might not be too familiar with cutting trees.  You may be though and you're just thinking this through GD.  If you're not, hire a tree service with, experience and a cherry picker.  Else, the tree can be cut by cutting from the down side of the trunk near the root end, so that it stands up straighter with each cut.  Then one of the cuts will cause the tree to fall in the opposite direction--towards the roots.  If you don't know how to make those kinds of cuts w/o getting the saw stuck or can't cut to place the falling tree where you want, then you're risking quite a bit.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:46:54 PM EDT
[#23]
It's hard to say without being there, but it almost looks like you could do the following:
Start a few inches from the dirt/root. Crosscut the trunk, cutting from below upward- with the top of the bar. Don't try it if you aren't an experienced chainsawyer.
It should fold to the ground without pinching too badly if there isn't too much endwise pressure from the standing trees holding it up at the crown.
(The first cut will probably be the one most likely to bind.)
After that, just keep doing the same thing; blocking off short chunks at the base. It will slowly swing downward and closer to the fence where you'll hopefully ave a near-vertical (and much lighter) crown that you should be able to tip over toward the root ball, or at least perpendicular to the fence.

But again-I'd have to be there and walk around it to say for sure if that would work.

Edited: Pretty much beaten by a minute or two by the previous poster...
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:47:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

3 cases. I plan to eat some. I know it says not to but I want to see what will happen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Detcord.

I'd pay good money to watch you eat an M112 block, much less and entire case.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:49:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Your fence will not survive if you do it yourself.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:51:13 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

No, because your tree is up in the air and all the roots aren't cut, rotted or broken.  If you have to ask then I think you might not be too familiar with cutting trees.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No, because your tree is up in the air and all the roots aren't cut, rotted or broken.  If you have to ask then I think you might not be too familiar with cutting trees.
I think your sarcasm meter needs to be re-calibrated  

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:53:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Given that it isn't done falling, I'd call a pro.  No need to get mangled for a tree.

If I were doing that, personally, I'd tie that thing to a truck and finish pulling it down before I hacked it up.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:53:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Honestly,unless you have some hefty equipment,the cheapest option is to drop it and repair the fence.ETA..it looks like it's going to get hung up,so cut it,hook it to a heavy truck,get it to drop,then repair the fence..still the cheapest route.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:54:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I would reach inside of my shirt and pull out a can of Spinach.

Eat the spinach and wait for the battleship to appear on your arm.

Then, pick up the tree and use it as a bat.  Hit Bluto, run the bases and then catch Bluto.

Leave him sitting on home plate with the spinny things in his eyes and then take your goil home.

View Quote

I yam what I yam
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:01:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Class C faller checking in.Hard to tell where all the different tension and bind might be from just seeing a picture, if you are unfamiliar with step cutting a tree like that, I'd call someone who is. Its one of the more dangerous things you could do cutting-wise.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:04:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Honestly,unless you have some hefty equipment,the cheapest option is to drop it and repair the fence.ETA..it looks like it's going to get hung up,so cut it,hook it to a heavy truck,get it to drop,then repair the fence..still the cheapest route.
View Quote

Cheaper still to simply remove the fence section before dropping the tree.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:04:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Cut hole in tree. Fill with tannerite. Shoot tannerite.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:05:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:08:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:12:32 PM EDT
[#35]
come a long
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:17:57 PM EDT
[#36]

Now that's how you cut "up" a tree!

BaDumTshh.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:19:00 PM EDT
[#37]
It is best to drag the snag out of the canopy with heavy equipment. That is not going to be good for your fence, but it is the safest way for you.

If that is not an option, I would rig a stout rope about 3/4 of the way to the top while the tree is still attached to the ground. I would prepare a block and tackle on that line to assist on freeing the crown when I get the tree vertical. Next I would make a face cut on the top of the trunk about 3' from the root ball. This will give relief to the trunk when you make the back cut from the bottom, and allow for more controlled movement of the trunk. Repeat this process until you get the tree into a vertical position. Keep in mind that anytime after you sever the trunk from the root ball there is now the possibility for the tree to roll out of the one that it is hung in. Once you get the tree into a near vertical position, hook up the block and tackle to pull it out of the neighboring tree. It may be necessary to tie anchor the bottom of the trunk to prevent unwanted movement.

You are probably better off hiring a tree guy to clear it, But it can be done if you are careful and think several steps ahead.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:19:42 PM EDT
[#38]
From looking at picture and being professional armchair chainsawist.....I'd remove 8 fence boards and pull up 1 post. Cut tree at base.  Hook chain to base of cut tree and slowly pull down with my 4x4 truck.  Cut tree up, haul limbs to dump, sell firewood, rake gouge marks in yard/seed with grass, 1 bag quickcrete for post, and put boards back up.  Save some money not hiring anybody and not replacing a destroyed fence. But, I have been accused of being pretty anal!  
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:19:59 PM EDT
[#39]

I raf when I see someone "sawing" with a chainsaw.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:31:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Detcord.

Just curious, but where does one get C-4 and det-cord these days?  Seems the world went to shit when they stopped selling dynamite at the local hardware stores .....
BTW, good luck with your tree ...................
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:58:43 PM EDT
[#41]

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:42:32 PM EDT
[#42]
a pro would climb it and block and tackle down the limb sections

It's pretty well stopped up against the other trees and is a huge PITA
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:48:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
a pro would climb it and block and tackle down the limb sections

It's pretty well stopped up against the other trees and is a huge PITA
View Quote

Pretty much this. We had a crew come out to take down a similar tree and the guy climbed right up the sucker, topped it, cut all the branches, and then while secured to the tree it was resting on, cut the trunk right up by the fork of the standing tree that it was resting in. It was pretty amazing to watch those guys. They didn't bother with block and tackle, though--it was pretty woodsy and nothing to damage, so they just let the limbs fall.

I'd call someone out for that one. The fact that you're asking probably means you don't know enough about it to make the likelihood of injury or death low enough to risk it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top