Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/18/2014 5:20:27 PM EDT
I've been trying to follow this whole crazy process but there have been so many twists and turns that it has been hard to follow at times. First they started issuing Multicam to troops headed to Afghanistan in 2010 because UCP sucked so badly. There were rumors that the army might eventually adopt Multicam army-wide. Then the new camo improvement program was announced, multiple companies submitted patterns and a final four were eventually selected. It appeared that the final selection out of those 4 would become the official new camo. But after considerable testing and just about when an announcement was expected as to who the winner was, the army announced it was abandoning that effort and going with their own pattern. This was about a year ago. At the time, it sounded like they were going for a digitized/pixelated version of Multicam they were developing on their own, so I was expecting something similar to AOR2 to emerge as the standard issue camo, with digital woodland/digital desert (aka MARPAT) for jungle or desert environments. But instead, it appears they elected to go with something pretty close to actual Multicam, minus the vertical elements you see in the Multicam pattern. The pattern is called Scorpion W2.

I suppose we'll see a darker and a lighter version of that basic pattern eventually produced to cover woodland and desert environments?

Geez, what a process. The whole thing began by discarding the woodland/desert BDUs that had been is use for decades in favor of a universal camo that only blended in with gravel pits but would "save money" by being universal. Then it became apparent that it sucked, so we started using Multicam too, which meant we went back to the two pattern concept. Then the most extensive testing on camo ever done to find the best possible pattern available was scrapped near completion and after considerable expenditure, only to end up going with a pattern we could have had from the start of this whole mess. However, we went from two patterns to one, then to two and finally have settled at three, after all the effort to go with a universal pattern that would save money...and spending billions to switch over to that universal camo that was going to save us so much $$$. The folks who calculated those savings must have had the same crappy math teachers I did in school!

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:27:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Soldier Systems Daily has been my go to source for all the Army's camo drama.

http://soldiersystems.net/2014/05/23/us-army-selects-scorpion-camouflage-pattern/
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:31:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I, for one, look forward to that being in surplus stores.

But the universal shit is gonna be on the shelves for a long ass time
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:59:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

So long as it is dirt cheap, I may still buy some UCP. They will make for excellent work clothes. But when it comes to actually blending with the environment, I think I'll stick to something else like Multicam, Scorpion or digital woodland. I'm just thankful that our soldiers will finally have some effective camo after a decade of sporting that UCP crap around the battle zone.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:02:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The folks who calculated those savings must have had the same crappy math teachers I did in school!
View Quote

Probably more like corruption and apathy. Kickbacks and that $ is not coming out of their pocket.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:02:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I still don't know why US4CES was not selected. In my opinion, that seemed like the best pattern.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:08:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Meanwhile, only the fabric blend has changed since the early 60's, and they seem to be OK with it.

We're kinda tarded with the eternal uniform hunting, always looking for an M4 replacement, and spending millions on thinking about maybe new pistols.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:26:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
So long as it is dirt cheap, I may still buy some UCP. They will make for excellent work clothes. But when it comes to actually blending with the environment, I think I'll stick to something else like Multicam, Scorpion or digital woodland. I'm just thankful that our soldiers will finally have some effective camo after a decade of sporting that UCP crap around the battle zone.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Get UCP and Rit Dye it.
I did this to look sort of UCP Delta-ish

These are UCP dyed OD with Kelly Green

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:35:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I think we're at the point now where if we let every soldier pick his own uniform there would be fewer patterns out there by now.  Everybody would just buy what the Delta/CAG guys wear.  
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 6:44:57 PM EDT
[#9]
So after all this the US Army soldier gets stuck with the second best camo?
The current administration is asking for multiple billions of dollars to spend on illegal aliens and the Army can’t spend a few million to pay to buy Multicam which has been proven in the Army’s own tests to be superior to Scorpion. Shame on you goverment.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top