Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2014 3:34:24 PM EDT
I don't mind the finish wearing off of a handgun but i can't stand a gun that rust's. Glock needs to go back to using Tenifer or what ever they used to use on their guns and If they cant use Tenifer because of environmental laws they should use a high grade stainless steel and finish it in black like other manufacturers.

The following pictures are of a Glock model 27 Gen 2.5 manufactured in 1995 that i carried for approximately 14 years. This firearm has been totally reliable and has shown no signs of rust that i can detect. This Glock and other older Glocks made me a Glock fan boy.

These pictures are of a Glock model 19 Gen 3 manufactured in 2007 that was carried for approximately 1 year or less.

This picture is of a Glock model 23 Gen 4. The rust is just barley starting to show and it has not been carried for much more then a month. It has been my experience that the Gen 4 guns seem to be more accurate then previous Glock generations and i really like the new magazine release and grip texture.

I am currently waiting for a Glock model 27 Gen 4 that i decided to have CCR refinish in their CPII Nickel/Boron Nitride plating. It looks like if i want to carry a newer Glock i am going to need to have it refinished with something that will keep it from rusting.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 3:39:40 PM EDT
[#1]
That's nothing and does not hinder performance.

I love the look of a well carried gun.

If it's really rusting that fast, it is probably something in Your body chemistry making it be more accelerated.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 3:44:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I heard a couple of 20 somethings at the range one day talking to each other about how they both wanted to buy a glock when they were old enough to get a carry permit.  One said to the other, yeah I heard they put a glock in the Dead Sea for 6 months, and when they went back and got it, it still looked like new and they shot the bullets that were in it
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 3:46:10 PM EDT
[#3]
That's crazy I have a couple 4th gens that I've carried everyday for the past couple years with no issues and I live near the beach
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 3:48:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Get a bigger belt.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 3:53:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a gen 4 that has been carried most days since Feb. and I see no signs of rust.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 3:57:51 PM EDT
[#6]
It's a Glock, not the family silver. Seriously.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 4:21:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm uploading a pic of my current G19 carry gun on photobucket now..
Prepare you mind to be blown.

Back in a couple with a pic for your viewing pleasure.

ETA Wait for it. This will be worth it.

Boom headshot!!!

Link Posted: 6/28/2014 7:01:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Wow....
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 7:04:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Boom headshot!!!

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p255/givememytoys/Glockrust_zpsa7be54d4.jpg

View Quote

Holy dirt nails batman!!
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 7:06:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Boom headshot!!!

View Quote

What the hell are you a xenomorph?
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 7:11:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Boom headshot!!!

View Quote

Stop sweating battery acid
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 7:15:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Clp is good for that
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 7:15:38 PM EDT
[#13]
<shrug>

I've been carrying the same Gen3 G26 for years in South Louisiana and I sweat like a horse in summertime.  No rust yet, just some finish wear and lint.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 7:16:58 PM EDT
[#14]
It's weird to see Melonite/Tennifer coming off.

I have an old Guncrafter CCO that I have worn for years and the finish looks brand new.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 7:19:29 PM EDT
[#15]
My Glocks will rust over night on me in the summer. I think some people's sweat is more corrosive than others.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top