Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/31/2014 9:46:39 AM EDT
CHESTERFIELD TWP, MI - Chesterfield Township police say a customer is dead after being hit by flooring tile that fell from a shelf at a Menards store.

The long weekend brings many families out to hardware stores for those do-you-it-yourself projects, but for a Clinton Township couple, a routine trip to Menards turned tragic.

The Chesterfield Police and Chesterfield Fire Department arrived around 10:30 a.m. Saturday to the store on Market Place Drive, which is near N. Gratiot Avenue and the William P. Rosso Highway.

Investigators determined the customer, identified as 38-year-old Richard V. Colletti, was shopping inside the store with his wife when up to 600 pounds of ceramic tiles fell onto him

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/tiles-fall-on-customer-at-menards-in-chesterfield-township/27806916
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:48:02 AM EDT
[#1]
That's like... the opposite of a Chicken Little.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:54:02 AM EDT
[#2]
holy crap, sad! Would not want to be the employee who stacked those tiles improperly.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:55:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
holy crap, sad! Would not want to be the employee who stacked those tiles improperly.
View Quote

He will only get fired. Menards insurance company is who will get rightly screwed.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:58:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

He will only get fired. Menards insurance company is who will get rightly screwed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know, but the guilt of your shortcut/mistake taking someones life would be terrible.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:02:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:07:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The forklift operator,yelled and the wife ran but the husband didn't. My wife would have grabbed my arm dragged me with her
View Quote

Yeah I was wondering about that part, too.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:07:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The forklift operator,yelled and the wife ran but the husband didn't. My wife would have grabbed my arm dragged me with her
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Also:

The 12-by-12 tiles were stacked on a wooden pallet, and put on top of another pallet of merchandise on the top shelf. Chesterfield police said this is a common practice.

Stuff on the bottom collapsed?  Some items when palletized are marked "do not stack other pallets on top."
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:09:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Warehousing in the retail area during business hours is the new norm, and some of the stuff I see just makes me cringe. The HiLo driver should not have stacked something that heavy that high, and should have had the aisle roped-off while he was working.  I hope the victim's family gets a good settlement.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:09:15 AM EDT
[#9]
This is why Home Depot blocks off the other side of a shelf when they are loading one side.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:10:46 AM EDT
[#10]

Police told Local 4 a forklift operator had just finished putting the
pallet of ceramic tiles away right at the top of an upper storage rack
about 15 feet high.

View Quote

The 12-by-12 tiles were stacked on a wooden
pallet, and put on top of another pallet of merchandise on the top
shelf. Chesterfield police said this is a common practice.

The
forklift operator was still in the area when he noticed the pallet
tipping and yelled out to warn the couple. Colletti's wife heard the
forklift operator yelling and got out of the way, but her husband didn't
hear him.

And I can see several reasons why this happened, and why it wouldn't happen where I work(another home improvement big-box store). Two things right off would have prevented this:

A) Don't fucking stack pallets in the overhead! Oh sure, you can get away with this in certain ways - if the product is light enough, it is stacked squarely and is stable, and you are using high quality pallets(I personally prefer to use CHEP pallets for anything going up, as it seems that 75% of the non-CHEP pallets we get in on the truck are completely fucked up with "repairs" that make it almost impossible for the reach truck to get the forks underneath properly) - and then it would still be best to put both pallets up at once after stacking them on the ground and wrapping them together so they can't separate. But still a bad idea in a retail environment, leave that shit for the warehouses.

B) Don't allow customers down the aisle you are working in, the other side of the racking, while using lift equipment - because shit DOES fall down from time to time!

Here's a lovely video I found on Youtube. I love forklift(and crane) accident videos (there are some great ones of idiots knocking sprinkler heads off)

Video finally working... fucking Firefox can't do ANYTHING right. You also can't edit a working video while in Firefox

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:21:56 PM EDT
[#11]
My local menard's is a little "fast and loose" with the lifts.

My local Lowe's has a ground guy and ropes. They close off the whole aisle.

Bet change is coming....
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:25:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Save big money at, OH SHIT!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:32:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

You seem so sure of that.  Pay me $50 and I'll test this theory.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:35:32 PM EDT
[#14]
A few years ago I was in a Menard's and saw two sale items shelved together.

Bleach and Solo cups.

I wish I had taken a picture...
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:36:26 PM EDT
[#15]
I read the title as "Ties"..I thought ..."must have been a real Nancy boy or a huge box of "Ties"
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:37:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Now, imagine being in that aisle last week during the Napa earthquake
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:39:06 PM EDT
[#17]

When I operated a forklift at a factory this was my biggest fear. I was extremely anal when placing pallets in racks for fear of them falling on people. I watche one day as one of our most reckless lift drivers accidentally shoved a pallet of metal off the back of the rack. The #2500 pallet of parts fell 14' and just missed an office worker by a few feet.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:39:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

We didn't feel it in Michigan.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:42:10 PM EDT
[#19]
I have been to that store a few times and my 86yo grandmother goes there often to get stuff for her house and some bridge mix.

She can't hear or walk that good and am always concerned about her getting ran over by a forklift
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:42:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now imagine being in that aisle when New Madrid goes

Or when Yellow Stone Blows

Or Michael Moore jumps in Flint
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:43:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
This is why Home Depot blocks off the other side of a shelf when they are loading one side.
View Quote

It's always aggravated me when they do this. I won't be so impatient, anymore.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:45:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

You sure about that
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:46:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Police told Local 4 a forklift operator had just finished putting the pallet of ceramic tiles away right at the top of an upper storage rack about 15 feet high.
View Quote

The 12-by-12 tiles were stacked on a wooden pallet, and put on top of another pallet of merchandise on the top shelf. Chesterfield police said this is a common practice.

The forklift operator was still in the area when he noticed the pallet tipping and yelled out to warn the couple. Colletti's wife heard the forklift operator yelling and got out of the way, but her husband didn't hear him.

And I can see several reasons why this happened, and why it wouldn't happen where I work(another home improvement big-box store). Two things right off would have prevented this:

A) Don't fucking stack pallets in the overhead! Oh sure, you can get away with this in certain ways - if the product is light enough, it is stacked squarely and is stable, and you are using high quality pallets(I personally prefer to use CHEP pallets for anything going up, as it seems that 75% of the non-CHEP pallets we get in on the truck are completely fucked up with "repairs" that make it almost impossible for the reach truck to get the forks underneath properly) - and then it would still be best to put both pallets up at once after stacking them on the ground and wrapping them together so they can't separate. But still a bad idea in a retail environment, leave that shit for the warehouses.

B) Don't allow customers down the aisle you are working in, the other side of the racking, while using lift equipment - because shit DOES fall down from time to time!

Here's a lovely video I found on Youtube. I love forklift(and crane) accident videos (there are some great ones of idiots knocking sprinkler heads off)

http://youtu.be/2tZuEij-4O0
Video finally working... fucking Firefox can't do ANYTHING right. You also can't edit a working video while in Firefox

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:48:02 PM EDT
[#24]
I demand common sense tile control!

Nobody needs more than seven tiles to make a floor!
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:48:09 PM EDT
[#25]
I was at that exact one 3 days ago. Guess I'll need to keep my head on a swivel.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:49:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Bleach and Solo cups.

View Quote

I've always wondered who buys their food there. Somebody has to.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:51:25 PM EDT
[#27]
no shit. i know a richard colletti. not this guy though.

rip. pretty fucked way to go if you ask me.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:53:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Home Depot killed a couple customers before they started bannering off the opposite aisle. I believe the product that got the last one was also tile.

There is no reason to have pallets double stacked in the steel, its dangerous.

I've been driving forklifts for over 15 years in that type of environment, there's no excuse for that type of incident.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:54:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I was at that exact one 3 days ago. Guess I'll need to keep my head on a swivel.
View Quote

My guess is that entire management team will be looking for new jobs. The safety rules an accident like this will spawn, won't allow something like this again.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:55:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Always wondered about that at Menards.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:56:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The penguins wife grabbing his arm?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 1:00:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Bleach and Solo cups.

View Quote

You know they use bleach to sanitize drinking water, right?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 1:08:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

My guess is that entire management team will be looking for new jobs. The safety rules an accident like this will spawn, won't allow something like this again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Their upper management doesn't screw around either. During their seminar season, they bring their jets into town to pick up their employees to take them to Wisconsin. They roll up, shut down one engine, swap pax, and go. Plenty of people loose their jobs because they are late (and don't make) the flight.

Here's one of their ERJs.

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 1:13:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sam's club after the Easter quake a few years ago

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 1:13:54 PM EDT
[#35]
The "Blend Guy" at the dairy production plant I worked at was known for driving the forklift like he was qualifying for a NASCAR race.  He dropped a couple of 55 gallon drums of cocoa powder (Frostie mix) from about 20 feet up while reversing and turning at the same time.
Everybody in the dry goods warehouse came walking out looking like a bunch of  WV coal miners.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 1:15:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Many years ago a wiretainer got pushed off a rack just as my Dad was walking by.He got banged up/skinned up pretty damned good but no broken bones.
The wiretainer was about 1/2 full of cast iron exhaust manifolds and probably weighed 250 to 300 pounds.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 1:22:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm the only one who laughed?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 1:32:55 PM EDT
[#38]
When I worked at Home Depot, they were very anal about blocking off the aisles, having spotters, etc., when working with the lifts. If you got caught breaking those rules it was instant termination, right there.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 1:33:25 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously.  I thought that was my best line in a while.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 1:37:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The "Blend Guy" at the dairy production plant I worked at was known for driving the forklift like he was qualifying for a NASCAR race.  He dropped a couple of 55 gallon drums of cocoa powder (Frostie mix) from about 20 feet up while reversing and turning at the same time.
Everybody in the dry goods warehouse came walking out looking like a bunch of  WV coal miners.
View Quote

I had something similar happen with a pallet of roofing tar that split down the middle while being moved in 20' steel. The cleanup cost 6 figures.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 1:37:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Having worked in a warehouse, we had very specific rules about storing items on top of shelves.  The pallets would have never been double stack unless on ground level for one. We also had a bunch of other rules that would prevent these sort of things.
We had a safety manager walk every day and make a worker change a violation right away when found.  The biggest problem that I ever witnessed, twice, was sprinkler heads being taken out by lifts. Not by me thank God.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 1:51:36 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View Quote
Home Depot took out a French astronaut the same way some years ago.   Knocked him off of flight status for a Shuttle mission.

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 2:19:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How the wife was able to hear the warning and get out of the way but the husband wasn't.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 2:31:49 PM EDT
[#44]
It's time we ban floor tiles.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 3:00:37 PM EDT
[#45]
They should not be loading tiles near customers. I avoid that shit whenever I encounter it in a store.

Truly, there is no excuse for this happening.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 3:27:26 PM EDT
[#46]
I worked at Lowes when they made us start blocking off other aisles when lifting or bringing down merchandise. I had multiple incidences of idiot customers going under the yellow rope and attempting to walk under the load of concrete block that I was putting away in the outside garden racks. We finally had to have another employee stand and spot for the forklift operator and keep the window lickers out of the aisles. Once, I was trying to get a 7ft tall pallet of pine nugget mulch off a very top shelf on the outside perimeter racks. It was three tiers up. The pallet was a piece of shit and collapsed as soon as I began to retrieve the load. The load tipped off the pallet and fell outside the fence. The several hundred pound load fell of the metal insulated enclosure over our water main. It crushed it flat. I was glad that no customers were around.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 3:39:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Old friend slipped on ice while making a delivery to a HD that they knew about and did nothing to correct and failed to warn people and he won over a million.
Granted he is no longer the same physically and just shuffles around slowly but hell he use to just shuffle along before the injury just a little faster.

Amazing how quickly it can all be over
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 3:41:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Had a special on one of the national news magazine shows several years ago about how often a forklift or whatever at home depot knocks something off the top onto the next isle injuring people.

They've got some real geniuses working at some of these places. I was checking out at the Lowes contractor desk one day and a forlift guy tried to pick up a stack of plastic lattice sheets from one end. Of course 100 sheets slid off everywhere. The genius in charge told him to keep the forklift up and called over 4 other idiots who were going to slide it up on the forklift at height because obviously lowering it was going to be too hard.

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 4:28:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Those CHEP/PECO pallets suck.  We break and/or get more broken ones in than any other wood pallet (ie: Pick them up and the weight of the product breaks the front 1/4 of the pallet off).  Normal wood pallets use 2x4's vertically....which are a lot stronger than the cheesy 1x4's laid flat like the CHEP's use.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:22:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Old friend slipped on ice while making a delivery to a HD that they knew about and did nothing to correct and failed to warn people and he won over a million.
Granted he is no longer the same physically and just shuffles around slowly but hell he use to just shuffle along before the injury just a little faster.

Amazing how quickly it can all be over
View Quote

Home Depot must warn people that there may be ice on the ground during certain seasons?
And he got money for that?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top