Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2014 5:41:38 PM EDT
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-brief/2014/09/29/worlds-first-3-d-printed-car/#.VC3Fo874I3E

"A Simpler, Streamlined Build

The Strati is a sleek two-seated, roofless electric vehicle that weighs about 2,200 pounds with all its non-printed parts attached. Most of the car was constructed in a shipping container-sized 3-D printer, which used nozzles to squirt layer after layer of a carbon-reinforced thermoplastic to construct the chassis from the ground up. The end product looks a lot like a topographic map of an Italian roadster (see the assembly video below).

The primary advantage of 3-D printing the Strati is that most of the chassis components are already complete after it comes off the printer. Once the steering wheel, shocks, tires, electric motor are all quickly installed, it can be driven off the lot.

The Strati can reach speeds of about 40 miles per hour and can travel 120 miles on a charge, but a gas engine could also be fitted. Local Motors expects the Strati to retail for about $18,000."

ETA:"When asked what would happen in a crash, though, Mr. Earle, driving the two-seat car, said it would be like a rock slamming against a brick wall."
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:44:19 PM EDT
[#1]
18G for 40 mph
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:48:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
18G for 40 mph
View Quote

Gotta start somewhere.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:51:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
18G for 40 mph
View Quote

Would you really want to go faster than that in a car that came off a printer?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:01:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
18G for 40 mph

Kind of my point, doesn't really seem to offer much (safety,range,performance) for a whole lot of money. Not to mention what is insurance going to run you on something like that?

I get it, Its neva been dun befo,
But stuff like this is all concept, To even pretend folks are going to line up and buy enough of this kind of thing to support a company is silly.

Unless you have a "green energy" bailout in the pipe its just not realistic.

How much does a 5 year old Jetta tdi with 60k miles on it go for?
Now compare these two
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:06:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:12:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Kind of my point, doesn't really seem to offer much (safety,range,performance) for a whole lot of money. Not to mention what is insurance going to run you on something like that?

But stuff like this is all concept, To even pretend folks are going to line up and buy enough of this kind of thing to support a company is silly.

Now compare these two
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
18G for 40 mph

Now compare these two

The company probably has about four employees, and there are a lot of rich people out there that buy stupid shit like this just to say they have one.  They just drive them around their estates like golf carts.  How much do you think people pay for golf carts like these?

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:21:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Please tell me the hitch pin clips aren't holding the wheels on.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:22:27 PM EDT
[#8]
It look cool but no thanks

Maybe with a Hybusa engine in it
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:44:49 PM EDT
[#9]
could esily print in crumple zones into its chasis
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:50:34 PM EDT
[#10]
$18,000 40mph big wheel?

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:55:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Although, I don't like the styling and I think the performance is abysmal and the price ridiculous,
I am none the less a little excited to be witnessing the real-time evolution of new manufacturing processes.

3D printing is primitive as it stands now. In 30 years, I can foresee it becoming a prime-time process for rapid manufacturing.

Maybe this is the Model T of that?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:45:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Although, I don't like the styling and I think the performance is abysmal and the price ridiculous,
I am none the less a little excited to be witnessing the real-time evolution of new manufacturing processes.

3D printing is primitive as it stands now. In 30 years, I can foresee it becoming a prime-time process for rapid manufacturing.

Maybe this is the Model T of that?
View Quote

Model T performed almost on par with its competition at a fraction of the price.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:50:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The company probably has about four employees, and there are a lot of rich people out there that buy stupid shit like this just to say they have one.  They just drive them around their estates like golf carts.  How much do you think people pay for golf carts like these?

http://electricmotion-golfcarts.com/images/golf-carts-cadillac-escalade.jpg
http://electricmotion-golfcarts.com/images/golf-carts-39-roadster.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
18G for 40 mph

Now compare these two

Oh, my bad,
I didn't realize it was a golf cart. I thought they were building an automobile.
If they are in the golf cart market, then yes, they probably stand a chance.
40 mph is pretty damn fast for a golf cart!
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:41:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Oh, my bad,
I didn't realize it was a golf cart. I thought they were building an automobile.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
18G for 40 mph

Now compare these two

Oh, my bad,

Not a golf cart.  My point was only that there are people will spend stupid money on something unique to put around in, just for the novelty of it, and bragging rights.  Hopefully, they will sell enough of them to get them to the next level.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:09:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Impressive.  Most... impressive.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:17:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Pot hole in winter time would look like dumping a box of legos,
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:30:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Are the wheels held on with a cotter pin???!!!  
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:35:52 AM EDT
[#18]
hahaha, a lot of critics on here.  Were you expecting the first 3D printed car to be some sort of supercar? It's a prototype to see if it works.  It does. Quit bitching....
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:36:12 AM EDT
[#19]
in for crash test video to see rock on brick wall action...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top