Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 11:10:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I was actually being facetious, but do realize that the actual capabilities are not in the public domain.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You reckon there is one up there at all times?

Nope. I reckon there's likely more stuff up there, several generations newer.

Several generations?  How many, three, four?  If there are other newer vehicles in orbit, why would we fly X-37's?  What is the age of the X-37?

There are two active X-37's flying.  I expect this one is going to need an overhaul after its long trip.

I was actually being facetious, but do realize that the actual capabilities are not in the public domain.

It's always fun to speculate on the real capabilities and purpose.  We know what they want us to know.  Too bad we need russkie rocket motors to launch it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 11:14:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Collecting data that they didn't want transmitted via possibly intercept-able means?
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 11:15:49 PM EDT
[#3]
So umm...why are the dudes on the tarmac wearing ebola suits??

Ebola. Suits.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 11:19:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 11:21:47 PM EDT
[#5]
space silencers

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 11:23:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Hydrazine suits.  you have to be in PPE when dealing with it, the vapors are highly toxic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So umm...why are the dudes on the tarmac wearing ebola suits??

Ebola. Suits.

Hydrazine suits.  you have to be in PPE when dealing with it, the vapors are highly toxic.

Mark Watney disagrees.

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 11:26:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Some people think they are just using it to troll China as the thing completely freaks them out at the higher levels apparently.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 11:33:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Something that cannot be transmitted as electronic data, perhaps. It's easy to envision physical samples of something or other needing analysis.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The real special thing it does is NOT going to LEO or staying up for 674 days, other satellites do that and more.

The real special thing is that it comes down and lands intact.

I still can't figure out why that is, I wonder what it brings down intact that is worth all of the money they spend on it?

Something that cannot be transmitted as electronic data, perhaps. It's easy to envision physical samples of something or other needing analysis.

Like other peoples satellites?
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 11:51:41 PM EDT
[#9]
The would require X-37B to rendezvous with the target satellite, not easy.

Lots of amateurs watching X-37B, I would think one of them would have said something if it was in the same orbit as another satellite.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 11:54:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll have to ask the guy next door who campaigned for Obama since he's the Secret Space Missions Czar for the White House. I'm sure he'll know what's up if he's attended any of the meetings.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:26:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:31:31 AM EDT
[#12]
all you guys disputing the "satellite thief" theory should go watch the beginning of You Only Live Twice...
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:32:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Damn, just found out that a previous commander I worked with is on the program. So fucking jealous.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:32:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Some people think they are just using it to troll China as the thing completely freaks them out at the higher levels apparently.
View Quote

Orbital levels of trolling?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:35:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:37:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
all you guys disputing the "satellite thief" theory should go watch the beginning of You Only Live Twice...
View Quote

Does that include the parts of the movie where the stealing of the foreign satellite was tracked on radar by the country that launched it?

I doubt China or Russia would approve, and I think it may be against the Outer Space Treaty.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:39:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The payload bay on that thing is tiny.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The real special thing it does is NOT going to LEO or staying up for 674 days, other satellites do that and more.

I still can't figure out why that is, I wonder what it brings down intact that is worth all of the money they spend on it?  

Like other peoples satellites?  

The payload bay on that thing is tiny.  

Large enough to carry a paint sprayer system and several gallons of paint.  Russia and China might be bitching behind the scenes about the graffiti on their satellites that just happens to cover the camera lenses.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:41:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:44:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Plenty of potential uses... extra spy satellite coverage, testing satellite subsystems, deorbiting dead satellites, attaching sabotage devices to enemy satellites, etc.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:00:14 AM EDT
[#20]

Looks like a satellite destroyer to me.

Hang around the horizon until one of the Ruskie sats cruise by and then WHAMMO! right up the ass with a pulsating laser beam.

Damn that was cool. Now I gotta go fuck something. :)

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:05:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:10:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Let loose a few small lazer equiped things.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:53:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

What part of 'payload bay is tiny' is not sinking in?

This is NOT a full-blown STS Orbiter.

The problem with stealing foreign Satellites is numerous but the biggest is the surest way to secure them from piracy would be a simple on-board booby-trap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What part of 'payload bay is tiny' is not sinking in?

This is NOT a full-blown STS Orbiter.

The problem with stealing foreign Satellites is numerous but the biggest is the surest way to secure them from piracy would be a simple on-board booby-trap.

Fine, fine, fine, I give up.  It is really loaded with sharks with friggin' laser beams on their heads.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:13:46 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/military-space-plane-lands-after-secret-mision/

An unpiloted Air Force space plane glided back to Earth Friday after a record 674-day stay in orbit, closing out a clandestine military mission with a computer-controlled landing at Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif.

The Boeing-built X-37B Orbital Test Vehicle, wrapping up its second long-duration mission and the secretive program's third flight overall, touched down at 12:24 p.m. EDT (GMT-4; 9:24 a.m. local time), rolling to a stop a few moments later.

Other than a brief Air Force statement last Friday announcing landing preparations at Vandenberg, there was no advance warning of the space plane's re-entry and, in keeping with the secrecy surrounding the program, no details on what the spacecraft might have been doing during its nearly two years aloft.
View Quote

I searched. space, secret and plane
View Quote

You didn't use X-37B in the title.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:20:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/military-space-plane-lands-after-secret-mision/

An unpiloted Air Force space plane glided back to Earth Friday after a record 674-day stay in orbit, closing out a clandestine military mission with a computer-controlled landing at Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif.

The Boeing-built X-37B Orbital Test Vehicle, wrapping up its second long-duration mission and the secretive program's third flight overall, touched down at 12:24 p.m. EDT (GMT-4; 9:24 a.m. local time), rolling to a stop a few moments later.

Other than a brief Air Force statement last Friday announcing landing preparations at Vandenberg, there was no advance warning of the space plane's re-entry and, in keeping with the secrecy surrounding the program, no details on what the spacecraft might have been doing during its nearly two years aloft.
View Quote

I searched. space, secret and plane
View Quote

C'mon people, you thought "they" were gonna abandon all those expensive satellites, and whatever else is up there....

I don't think so....who the fuck knows what's in the works, .........or what's really going on.......

Hopefully....sumthin'......
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:24:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Actually, it has another ability up its sleeve: Significant delta-v after reaching orbit.

This allows it to radically alter its orbit, if required.

Regular sats generally cannot do that.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:28:09 AM EDT
[#27]
1) Carry small micro-sats with their own micro-engines/delta-v.
2) Release them, they rendezvous with another sattelite.
3) ?????
4) Profit.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:31:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Also unmentioned.... Rods from God... Deep strike asset on overwatch for years at a time. Hit any target on Earth in mere hours.

Unlikely, but plausible.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:35:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:38:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Since it's really, really expensive, and Obama is at the helm, I'm going to guess that they are monitoring global warming.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:42:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Limpets.

Yeah.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:43:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Its secretly mapping all gun owners for the coming confistication.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:47:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Actually, it has another ability up its sleeve: Significant delta-v after reaching orbit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I doubt it.  X-37B carries extra weight in the form of tiles for heat shielding, aerodynamic surfaces and a metal fuselage.  All of that extra weight could be put into thrusters and fuel.

Most satellites are purpose designed and have a much lighter apparent construction.

Just how much delta-v has this orbiter demonstrated up until now?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:47:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I thought that and then dismissed it since the article mentioned all the extra weight a reusable launch vehicle has to carry into space.

Why would they use a method like that to launch something that has to be heavy as shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Also unmentioned.... Rods from God... Deep strike asset on overwatch for years at a time. Hit any target on Earth in mere hours.

Unlikely, but plausible.

I thought that and then dismissed it since the article mentioned all the extra weight a reusable launch vehicle has to carry into space.

Why would they use a method like that to launch something that has to be heavy as shit.

Upgradable.

Can be reconfigured for different missions.

Doesn't inherently look like a weapon.

Also, orbital strike doesn't have to rely on kinetic energy tungsten rods. A reentry vehicle with TPS and a more traditional guided HE warhead would be lighter.

However, I find it unlikely that this is the X-37Bs primary mission.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:52:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I doubt it.  X-37B carries extra weight in the form of tiles for heat shielding, aerodynamic surfaces and a metal fuselage.  All of that extra weight could be put into thrusters and fuel.

Most satellites are purpose designed and have a much lighter apparent construction.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the info from this things earlier days with NASA are any indicator, it has substantial fuel onboard.

Just how much delta-v has this orbiter demonstrated up until now?

Hasn't does not equal cannot.

A fleet in being.

If bad guys know you have a recon asset that can radically change its orbit and show up at unexpected times and places, it's a PITA to consider anything "safe".

Time will tell.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:54:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Low-orbit chemtrails
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spreading Ebola.

Low-orbit chemtrails

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:22:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Where was the FAA and TSA on that one?  That unmanned flight was probably all like, "SURPRISE COCK BAGS!" as it landed and they were all like surprised and shit.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:31:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Cool..

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:36:31 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Where was the FAA and TSA on that one?  That unmanned flight was probably all like, "SURPRISE COCK BAGS!" as it landed and they were all like surprised and shit.
View Quote

No genitals to fondle = They don't care

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:58:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Spy satelite that can zoom around changing orbit quickly then cone down and refuel then go back up?

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 5:02:51 AM EDT
[#42]
I read about that on the news this morning... am still curious if the leak was intentional or not.  My guess is STRATCOM is trumping secrecy for political reasons.  Too many derpers assuming we have no capabilities and believing Russian propaganda.

Lockmart's fusion announcement as well.

It's like the good old Cold War again.  Try to keep up, Russia.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 5:48:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Repairs and refit.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 5:53:22 AM EDT
[#45]
More than 3,100m/s of delta-v in orbit...

It only needed ~60m/s to station-keep for the duration of this mission...
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:54:20 AM EDT
[#46]
Ha, none of you guys are even close.

I've got a 3rd cousin, who's ex-wife's uncle works on this program.

He said the secret craft is purposely designed to safely return Barrack Obama and the Wookie back to their home planet after they allow Ebola to kill off half of America.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:08:01 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Ha, none of you guys are even close.

I've got a 3rd cousin, who's ex-wife's uncle works on this program.

He said the secret craft is purposely designed to safely return Barrack Obama and the Wookie back to their home planet after they allow Ebola to kill off half of America.
View Quote

Bullshit. That thing would never hold Obama's buttplug and he isn't going anywhere without it. His old smaller model is on display if France.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:13:40 AM EDT
[#48]
What Intel data would be valuable two years after it was collected?  If it was important enough to spend billions to collect, I can't see waiting years to get it.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:15:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Space-Ebola
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spreading Ebola.

Space-Ebola

Spabola?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:30:53 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
What Intel data would be valuable two years after it was collected?  If it was important enough to spend billions to collect, I can't see waiting years to get it.

View Quote

Those who know don't talk and those who talk don't know.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top