Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2014 12:10:49 AM EDT

Open image in new browser to see the big picture.

Any of you Tyndal AF guys know this jet?

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 1:31:16 AM EDT
[#1]
That's a sexy bitch.

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 1:51:14 AM EDT
[#2]
When I was a cadet I spent a month at Tyndall for field training.  I watched F-4 after F-4 take off, shortly followed by F-15s and the occasional F-22.  Never saw any of the F-4s come back.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 2:35:05 AM EDT
[#3]
RF-4C, I don't know what the patch or panel just aft of the camera bay is. I don't see a yaw indicator either.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 3:12:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

And so far ahead of its time. The MIG-21 and Mirage 3 were certainly viable fighters, but were essentially a generation behind the F-4. You can even argue the MIG-23 and Mirage F1 were still at a disadvantage in some aspects compared to the F-4. The aircraft certainly represents the era when America was the top of the food chain world wide.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 3:24:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Last time I saw an RF-4 that close was crossing Coyote Ridge north of Vegas during a Red Flag at 100 feet AGL.

He went opposite direction underneath me. That fucker was low.

True story.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 3:33:14 AM EDT
[#6]
and here she is before she was a drone,

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 3:38:08 AM EDT
[#7]
The very idea they are going to blow her out of the sky made Mr. Hammer shed a tear...  

Shouldn't we be using all those planes we gave / paid for the Afghan airforce that they are cutting up for scrap as live fire targets instead??

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 3:59:03 AM EDT
[#8]
All in good time, son.  Patience is key.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 6:12:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
and here she is before she was a drone,

https://farm7.staticflickr.com/6111/6272411183_75352646a5.jpg
View Quote

Zweibrücken ?

Sir James...
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 6:20:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 6:29:51 AM EDT
[#11]
while I know why we convert older fighters to drones it still sucks to see great aircraft go out that way

long live the Phabulous Phantom
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 7:02:33 AM EDT
[#12]
A good friend of mine flew the slick RF-4s.  Talk about a fast girl!
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 7:14:54 PM EDT
[#13]

QF-4 Ouija Board
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 7:23:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Worked on F-4's at Moody 85-87. Definitely a love-hate relationship.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 7:37:30 PM EDT
[#15]
That's a shame.

I just got a new job with some crazy bastards who want to bring some S-3 vikings back to life  

I've already caught myself saying "Can we just dispo it 'use as is' cause I know if we press it (a bushing) out we are going to find corrosion behind it"

I bet those F-4's are a little rough, especially the Navy planes.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 7:37:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Back in '83-'85 while stationed at K-bay, me and a few friends would
sit on the beach at the end of the runway drink beer and watch the F-4s take off and land, pretty awsome as they come in!
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 7:59:02 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

That's a shame.

I just got a new job with some crazy bastards who want to bring some S-3 vikings back to life  

I've already caught myself saying "Can we just dispo it 'use as is' cause I know if we press it (a bushing) out we are going to find corrosion behind it"

View Quote

No Navy planes in the USAF's QF-4 program.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:02:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's a shame.

Does the navy have their own program?  What happened to the navy version?
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:03:26 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's a shame.

Google, it's a motherfucker.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:10:09 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's a shame.

Back in 1990, there were still F86's at Mugu with Ensign Nolo packages aboard...
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:40:20 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's a shame.

Back in 1990, there were still F86's at Mugu with Ensign Nolo packages aboard...

QF-86's were operated out of Mugu until 1987.

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:48:05 PM EDT
[#22]
The F4 was always one of those jets that looked like the big ass defensive ends in an era filled with small safety's. Sorry, I'm watching football, so that's the analogy you get tonight.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 11:39:06 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know if it was just sitting on the tarmac in a down status, but you could see the red box inside the cockpit.  It was at the first set of hangers after you turn off Mugu Dr onto 11th.

I had never seen a Saber in person before and she was a sexy beastie.

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 11:43:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Last time I saw an RF-4 that close was crossing Coyote Ridge north of Vegas during a Red Flag at 100 feet AGL.

True story.
View Quote

How much seat cushion came with you when you got out?
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 11:58:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
When I was a cadet I spent a month at Tyndall for field training.  I watched F-4 after F-4 take off, shortly followed by F-15s and the occasional F-22.  Never saw any of the F-4s come back.
View Quote

If you saw the F-4s taking from the same runways as the 15s and 22s, then they had a pilot in them and came back.

F-4s takeoff from a different runway when they are being flown remotely. You cannot see the drone runway from the main runway area.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 12:02:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
while I know why we convert older fighters to drones it still sucks to see great aircraft go out that way

long live the Phabulous Phantom
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3e/F-4G_A-10A_RF-4C_USAFE_in_flight_1987.JPEG
View Quote

I know this is an F4 thread but I'm digging that camo on the A10
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 12:04:05 AM EDT
[#27]
When I was in middle school I used to watch F4's fly over my neighborhood. They wood come over at about 1000ft the engine sound would be just behind them.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 12:06:34 AM EDT
[#28]
My dad was a backseater in RF-4's in the early '70s.

I've posted this before but my uncle (dad's brother) was shot down and rescued in Vietnam while flying F-4's.
http://honestly-speaking.com/NoTime.html
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 12:11:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Death Rows for the QF-4.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 12:18:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's a shame.

The Navy F=4 drone program was shut down as result of the Phantom crash at the Point Mugu airshow crash a few years back.  The plane was a drone with a crew flying and they went in with the bird.  Navy axed their Phantom drones right then and AF had to provide QF-4s for the AIM-9X testing program at China Lake.

The Navy actually started their Phantom drone program several years before we did in the AF and we provided the flight dynamics package for their F-4S, since they were so close to the F-4E and we had just gone through an entire aero modeling process for our F-4E/G simulator upgrade.  We also provided sim time for the Navy drone pilots, since they had shut down their sim program plus we gave them an old F-4C simulator cockpit they converted into their drone control cockpit.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 12:33:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
http://www.vaq34.com/junk/qf-4_death_001.jpg

View Quote

RF-4C 68-589, probably one of not THE most photographed RF-4C in the inventory.  She spent most of her career in Europe and was featured in published photographs wearing different paint schemes and markings for RAF Alconbury, UK,  Aviano Air Base, Italy, Ramstien Air Base, Germany and  Zwiebrucken Air Base Germany as well as during Desert Storm.

Sad to see the old girl go out this way, but a lot of notable F-4s have met their end as drones.  We had some F-4Gs that were still wearing Mig kill markings from their lives as F-4Es over Viet Nam.   Some had as many as 3 red stars on the intake splitters.  There was talk about those birds being held back for museums, but somebody decided that it wasn't worth the effort and those historically significant Phantoms were used for target practice.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 1:20:14 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know if it was just sitting on the tarmac in a down status, but you could see the red box inside the cockpit.  It was at the first set of hangers after you turn off Mugu Dr onto 11th.

I had never seen a Saber in person before and she was a sexy beastie.

Targets - QF-86, QF-4 and sometimes the DC-130A, then VX-4 and F-14's and F-18's, then the Range P-3's (Billboards and slicks), then the Air Terminal, then VXE-6 with LC-130's and UH-1N's / Station SAR CH-46E's / Station UC-12B's, then the A-3 line, then the contractor A-6E's and A-7E's, turn the corner and then it was OMA with F-14's and F-18's and A-3's and then the Spook P-3 hangar.

I had friends who worked on the QF-86's and the QF-4's up until the day they closed the QF program down.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 1:22:16 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
RF-4C 68-589, probably one of not THE most photographed RF-4C in the inventory.  She spent most of her career in Europe and was featured in published photographs wearing different paint schemes and markings for RAF Alconbury, UK,  Aviano Air Base, Italy, Ramstien Air Base, Germany and  Zwiebrucken Air Base Germany as well as during Desert Storm.

Sad to see the old girl go out this way, but a lot of notable F-4s have met their end as drones.  We had some F-4Gs that were still wearing Mig kill markings from their lives as F-4Es over Viet Nam.   Some had as many as 3 red stars on the intake splitters.  There was talk about those birds being held back for museums, but somebody decided that it wasn't worth the effort and those historically significant Phantoms were used for target practice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.vaq34.com/junk/qf-4_death_001.jpg

I mean know this aircraft at Tyndal.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 1:44:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's a shame.

Yep.  I took the left wing off one with an RTM-7P

Those F-4's sure are pretty airplanes though.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:42:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Back in '83-'85 while stationed at K-bay, me and a few friends would
sit on the beach at the end of the runway drink beer and watch the F-4s take off and land, pretty awsome as they come in!
View Quote

Hey me too.  I was with VMFA 212 from 82-85.  Kaneohe Bay was an awesome duty station
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 2:16:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True story.

none.

Doing that job you get get used to shit like that.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 2:25:14 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm glad to have gotten to see one flying as the USAF brought one up to Andrews in Vietnam colors a few years back.

At least the Collings Foundation managed to get one. http://www.collingsfoundation.org/tx_f-4dphantom.htm
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:11:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'm glad to have gotten to see one flying as the USAF brought one up to Andrews in Vietnam colors a few years back.

At least the Collings Foundation managed to get one. http://www.collingsfoundation.org/tx_f-4dphantom.htm
View Quote

I saw that and for the meager sum of $12,500 you can get a backseat ride in their F-4.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top